[GSOC] Thank you + What's next after GSOC

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GSOC] Thank you + What's next after GSOC

vmassol
Administrator
@GSOC students:

Thank you so much for having participated to this year’s GSOC! You did some great work and made the xwiki project even more appealing to outsiders!

We’d love to keep seeing you in the xwiki community and to keep you engaged.

Let us know what you’re interested to do in the future, we’re always eager to learn more from you.

Also, I’ve started a section on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/#HWhat27snextafterGSOC3F about what’s next for students once they’ve completed a GSOC project.

Let us know if there are items of interest to you.

Thanks again
-Vincent

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GSOC] Thank you + What's next after GSOC

Shubham Jain
Thanks Vincent. This looks like a great initiative :)

Best,
Shubham

> On 17-Oct-2017, at 12:22 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> @GSOC students:
>
> Thank you so much for having participated to this year’s GSOC! You did some great work and made the xwiki project even more appealing to outsiders!
>
> We’d love to keep seeing you in the xwiki community and to keep you engaged.
>
> Let us know what you’re interested to do in the future, we’re always eager to learn more from you.
>
> Also, I’ve started a section on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/#HWhat27snextafterGSOC3F about what’s next for students once they’ve completed a GSOC project.
>
> Let us know if there are items of interest to you.
>
> Thanks again
> -Vincent
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GSOC] Thank you + What's next after GSOC

Krzysiek Płachno
Thanks Vincent!

As regards proposition of further development of XWiki - I found out that
I'm not suited for remote working. GSoC experience was very cool and
unique, but I discovered that it's much better for me to have personal
face2face contact with people that I work with. But I will stay connected
to your mailing list since for sure I plan to use XWiki for some of my
future work.

As regards LinkedIn recommendation: here's my profile: https://www.linkedin.
com/in/krzysztof-p%C5%82achno-67b52199/ I'll be very happy to accept your
contact proposals, if you want to add me to your network.

And as regards XWiki T-shirt - if I had one I would wear it with huge pride
:)


Thanks again for this cool experience of being GSoC student for XWiki.
Best,
Krzysztof


2017-10-16 21:09 GMT+02:00 Shubham Jain <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks Vincent. This looks like a great initiative :)
>
> Best,
> Shubham
>
> > On 17-Oct-2017, at 12:22 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > @GSOC students:
> >
> > Thank you so much for having participated to this year’s GSOC! You did
> some great work and made the xwiki project even more appealing to outsiders!
> >
> > We’d love to keep seeing you in the xwiki community and to keep you
> engaged.
> >
> > Let us know what you’re interested to do in the future, we’re always
> eager to learn more from you.
> >
> > Also, I’ve started a section on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin
> /view/GoogleSummerOfCode/#HWhat27snextafterGSOC3F about what’s next for
> students once they’ve completed a GSOC project.
> >
> > Let us know if there are items of interest to you.
> >
> > Thanks again
> > -Vincent
> >
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GSOC] Thank you + What's next after GSOC

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Vincent, sounds like a nice list of things to do after. I think the hardest
part is the initial contact, after you have understood the contribution
mechanisms, it's a matter of time and availability in order to contribute
some more.

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 12:39 AM, Krzysiek Płachno <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Vincent!
>
> As regards proposition of further development of XWiki - I found out that
> I'm not suited for remote working. GSoC experience was very cool and
> unique, but I discovered that it's much better for me to have personal
> face2face contact with people that I work with. But I will stay connected
> to your mailing list since for sure I plan to use XWiki for some of my
> future work.
>

Krzysztof, give it time :) remote working has its benefits and cons. I
think it's mostly suited after you already know the people in person or
after you have some experience with the project/work type, but if it
weren't for remote, we could not have collaborated at all :) some people
are not that fortunate to find cool projects around the place they live in.
I like the global aspect of GSOC and Open Source in general. I'm curious if
in time you will change your mind :)

Thanks,
Caty


>
> As regards LinkedIn recommendation: here's my profile:
> https://www.linkedin.
> com/in/krzysztof-p%C5%82achno-67b52199/ I'll be very happy to accept your
> contact proposals, if you want to add me to your network.
>
> And as regards XWiki T-shirt - if I had one I would wear it with huge pride
> :)
>
>
> Thanks again for this cool experience of being GSoC student for XWiki.
> Best,
> Krzysztof
>
>
> 2017-10-16 21:09 GMT+02:00 Shubham Jain <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Thanks Vincent. This looks like a great initiative :)
> >
> > Best,
> > Shubham
> >
> > > On 17-Oct-2017, at 12:22 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > @GSOC students:
> > >
> > > Thank you so much for having participated to this year’s GSOC! You did
> > some great work and made the xwiki project even more appealing to
> outsiders!
> > >
> > > We’d love to keep seeing you in the xwiki community and to keep you
> > engaged.
> > >
> > > Let us know what you’re interested to do in the future, we’re always
> > eager to learn more from you.
> > >
> > > Also, I’ve started a section on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin
> > /view/GoogleSummerOfCode/#HWhat27snextafterGSOC3F about what’s next for
> > students once they’ve completed a GSOC project.
> > >
> > > Let us know if there are items of interest to you.
> > >
> > > Thanks again
> > > -Vincent
> > >
> >
> >
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GSOC] Thank you + What's next after GSOC

vmassol
Administrator
In reply to this post by Krzysiek Płachno
Hi Krzysztof,

> On 17 Oct 2017, at 23:39, Krzysiek Płachno <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Vincent!
>
> As regards proposition of further development of XWiki - I found out that
> I'm not suited for remote working. GSoC experience was very cool and
> unique, but I discovered that it's much better for me to have personal
> face2face contact with people that I work with. But I will stay connected
> to your mailing list since for sure I plan to use XWiki for some of my
> future work.

Ok some people prefer the interaction, I can understand that. As Caty said, the remote option allows to all work together which isn’t something we could do otherwise. But it needs getting used to it for sure.

A small alternative is what Thomas is going, i.e. going to work in a co-working space. You’re still not surrounded by people you work with but you’re in a working environment with other people you get to know and value.

> As regards LinkedIn recommendation: here's my profile: https://www.linkedin.
> com/in/krzysztof-p%C5%82achno-67b52199/ I'll be very happy to accept your
> contact proposals, if you want to add me to your network.

Yes we’ll do for sure since we’ve been very happy with your work on XWiki :) I’ll let Thomas add the comment since he was the one working the most closely with you! (But no pressure, we'll understand if you don’t have the time nor the itch :)).

> And as regards XWiki T-shirt - if I had one I would wear it with huge pride
> :)

Ok will let you know when that happens. FTR I’ve put a repeatable design task for GCI about designing such a T-shirt:
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleCodeIn/

Let us know if you’d be willing to help mentor GCI students with the rest of us. We need more mentors :) And even if you mentor only a few tasks, it helps!

> Thanks again for this cool experience of being GSoC student for XWiki.

Thanks again for your work
-Vincent

> Best,
> Krzysztof
>
>
> 2017-10-16 21:09 GMT+02:00 Shubham Jain <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Thanks Vincent. This looks like a great initiative :)
>>
>> Best,
>> Shubham
>>
>>> On 17-Oct-2017, at 12:22 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> @GSOC students:
>>>
>>> Thank you so much for having participated to this year’s GSOC! You did
>> some great work and made the xwiki project even more appealing to outsiders!
>>>
>>> We’d love to keep seeing you in the xwiki community and to keep you
>> engaged.
>>>
>>> Let us know what you’re interested to do in the future, we’re always
>> eager to learn more from you.
>>>
>>> Also, I’ve started a section on http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin
>> /view/GoogleSummerOfCode/#HWhat27snextafterGSOC3F about what’s next for
>> students once they’ve completed a GSOC project.
>>>
>>> Let us know if there are items of interest to you.
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>> -Vincent
>>>
>>
>>