[GSOC] Welcoming our GSoC students

Eduard Moraru
Hello community, Hello Google Summer of Code students,

First of all, congratulations on your applications and your activity during
the selection period, and welcome in the XWiki development team.

Before guiding the accepted students to their next steps, we'd like to
thank again all those who showed interest in XWiki for this Summer of Code.
We had a lot of good applications this year, with professional approaches
and interesting ideas, and it was very difficult to choose only 3.
Unfortunately, some very good students, with great potential, were not
accepted. So, to those interested in getting involved anyway, without
Google's implication, I renew the invitation to put your ideas in practice
under the guidance of the community. Even though the money will be missing,
you can still take advantage of the other GSoC benefits: learning new
things, gaining experience, earning recognition, etc [1]. If you would like
to do that, please let us know by replying to this mail.

For the accepted students, here are some getting started hints:

= Community bonding period =

According to the program timeline [2], the next month (until - May 21st) is
to be used for community bonding.

The first thing to do, sometime this week, is to present yourself and your
project on the dev list, so that everyone knows who you are and
what to expect from you (a precondition is to be subscribed to the list,
which you *need to do ASAP* if you haven't already).

Also, you should continue getting acquainted with the code, the practices
and the developers. Please make sure you all read and understand the
following - very useful - documents:
- [3] http://purl.org/xwiki/community/
- [4] http://purl.org/xwiki/dev/
- [5] http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/

= Mentorship =

We prefer open mentorship. While your assigned mentor is the one officially
in charge with your guidance, almost all interaction should be done 'in the
open' as much as possible, on the IRC channel or on the mailing list. You
should choose the communication medium according to the importance of the
matters to be discussed: naturally, the less important issues are to be
discussed on IRC, while the design decisions, important progress
announcements and testing/feedback requests go on the list. This way, the
community is informed on the evolution of your project, and other
developers can come up any time with useful ideas and suggestions.
Moreover, if your mentor is hit by a bus (the bus factor [6]), another
developer can take his place with little effort.

= Communication =

Sitting alone in your room, working secretly on your project is definitely
a bad approach. However, please keep in mind that too much communication
can also be harmful, as it distracts the others from their own work. You
need to be able to communicate just right:
- provide meaningful information about your progress,
- ask the community's opinion on non-trivial design or implementation
decisions
- avoid wasting a lot of time on a problem, when a more experienced
developer (or a student that fought the same problem) could quickly provide
you an answer; however, do try to find the answer yourself at first.

Wrong: "Where do I start? What do I do now? And how do I do that? Is this
good? It doesn't work, help me!"

Right: "Since a couple of hours ago I get a strange exception when building
my project, and googling for a solution doesn't seem to help. Looking at
the error, I think that there's a wrong setting for the assembly plugin,
but nothing I tried works. Can someone please take a look?"

Subscribe to the devs list (if you didn't do this already), and start
monitoring the discussions. It is also recommended to subscribe to the
users list, but not mandatory. The notifications list is a little too high
volume and technical for the moment, but it is a great knowledge
source.

= Development process =

The project's lifecycle is NOT design -> implementation -> testing ->
documentation. [7]

We invite you to adopt a test driven development [8][9][10] approach and to
experience agile development [11]. After the first coding week, you must
have some code that works. It won't do much, of course, but it will be the
seed of your project. Every functionality will be validated by tests. The
code must be properly tested and commented at the time of the writing
(don't think you'll do that afterwards, because in most cases you won't).

Since our code is now hosted on GitHub [12], you should register an account
there and fork some xwiki repositories, so that you can try to build XWiki
from sources, and be able to contribute bugfixes. We'll add you to the
xwiki-contrib organization [13], and we'll create dedicated repositories
for each project. We encourage you to do __at least__ weekly commits
(ideally, if you are well organized, you should be able to commit code that
works daily, so try to aim at daily commits). This way, the code can be
properly reviewed, and any problems can be detected before they grow into
something too difficult to fix. One big code blob committed at the end, no
matter how good it may seem, is a failure at several levels.

A simple way of having something functional in the first week is to prepare
the maven build for your modules, which will give you the first unit test
for the first class.

= Next steps, in a nutshell =

- Get more familiar with the code and development process and try to master
Maven, JUnit, Selenium, component driven development, ...
- Continue fixing a few small issues, chosen so that they are __related to
your project__. You can ask on IRC for help selecting good issues, or you
can pick from the (non-comprehensive) list of easy issues [14]
-- This will help you get more familiar with the code your project needs to
interact with.
- Refine and organize the ideas concerning your project (you can use the
Drafts space [15]), and write several use case scenarios.
- Start writing the first piece of code for your project.

At the end of the community bonding period, you should have a clear vision
of the project, well documented on the xwiki.org wiki, you should have the
build infrastructure ready, and you should be pretty familiar with the
existing code you will need to interact with. And, of course, you should be
familiar with the community and the way we communicate.

Good luck, and may we all have a great Summer of Code!

-The XWiki Development Team

----------
[1] http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/homesteading/
[2] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012
[3] http://purl.org/xwiki/community/
[4] http://purl.org/xwiki/dev/
[5] http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/
[6] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor
[7] http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/
[8] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test-driven_development
[9] http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321146530/
[10] http://www.amazon.com/dp/0201485672/
[11] http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596527675/
[12] https://github.com/xwiki/
[13] https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/
[14]
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10510
[15] http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Drafts/

Re: [GSOC] Welcoming our GSoC students

savitha sundaramurthy
Hello community,

                 I'm so glad that I'm participating in GSOC 2012 and
congratulations to Sasinda and Jonathan. A big thanks to Paul and others
for giving their support and valuable feedback. Looking forward to work in
the project "SOLR search component" and with all of you.

Thanks,
Savitha Sundaramoorthi.

--
best regards,
Savitha.s

Re: [GSOC] Welcoming our GSoC students

jssolichin
Thank you for the congratulations Savitha, likewise; Sasinda as well. I
can't wait to see what the program will produce! Like Savitha, I just
wanted to thank everyone involved at XWIKI--especially Evalica, Sdumitriu,
Vmassol. Jumping into the pool looks that much easier. Hopefully I will be
able to implement a Responsive Web Design skin (a webdesign layout that
changes in context of screen size), with XWIKI's help, that everyone can be
proud of and match the high standards of XWIKI. If anyone has any input on
what they would like to see, definitely feel free to let me know.

Thank you all, and best regards,
Jonathan Solichin

> [...]

> your project__. You can ask on IRC for help selecting good issues, or you
> can pick from the (non-comprehensive) list of easy issues [14]
> -- This will help you get more familiar with the code your project needs
> to interact with.
> - Refine and organize the ideas concerning your project (you can use the
> Drafts space [15]), and write several use case scenarios.
> - Start writing the first piece of code for your project.
>
> At the end of the community bonding period, you should have a clear vision
> of the project, well documented on the xwiki.org wiki, you should have
> the build infrastructure ready, and you should be pretty familiar with the
> existing code you will need to interact with. And, of course, you should be
> familiar with the community and the way we communicate.
>
> Good luck, and may we all have a great Summer of Code!

sasinda
Hi Thomas, Savitha, Jonathan, Eduard and all,

Thanks for the congratulations Savitha and Jonathan.
I am delighted to here we are developing for XWiki and GSoc 2012.
Congratulations for you too Savitha and Jonathan.
My special thanks to Thomas for giving me feed back and helping me a lot.
And thank you all in the community.
I really look forward to working with you and contribute a lot to XWiki
mobile platform.

Best Regards,
Sasinda Rukshan.

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Jonathan Solichin <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> > can pick from the (non-comprehensive) list of easy issues [14]
> > -- This will help you get more familiar with the code your project needs
> > to interact with.
> > - Refine and organize the ideas concerning your project (you can use the
> > Drafts space [15]), and write several use case scenarios.
> > - Start writing the first piece of code for your project.
> >
> > At the end of the community bonding period, you should have a clear
> vision
> > of the project, well documented on the xwiki.org wiki, you should have
> > the build infrastructure ready, and you should be pretty familiar with
> the
> > existing code you will need to interact with. And, of course, you should
> be
> > familiar with the community and the way we communicate.
> >
> > Good luck, and may we all have a great Summer of Code!

Paul Libbrecht-2
Dear Savitha,
Dear XWiki Community,

this is my first year being a mentor so bear with me in patience.

I would like to propose that Savitha starts two pages on dev.XWiki.org

- one page about her Google Summer of Code work where, for example, the schedule she presented in her proposal is presented to the public and, where we shall elaborate it with milestones that are assessable somehow.
Eduard, someone, are there example for such pages?
It would be possible to replace the project page:
        http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/inline/GoogleSummerOfCode/SOLRsearchcomponent
but I think this is more a "proposal", or?

- one design page about the SOLR component. There are many design pages so Savitha, go ahead and get inspired.

Once donc, please request review and announce.

Community, is this process correct? I do not want to start a vote, but a bit of approval would make me happy.

thanks in advance

Paul

Le 23 avr. 2012 à 23:10, savitha sundaramurthy a écrit :

> [...]
>> your project__. You can ask on IRC for help selecting good issues, or you
>> can pick from the (non-comprehensive) list of easy issues [14]
>> -- This will help you get more familiar with the code your project needs
>> to interact with.
>> - Refine and organize the ideas concerning your project (you can use the
>> Drafts space [15]), and write several use case scenarios.
>> - Start writing the first piece of code for your project.
>>
>> At the end of the community bonding period, you should have a clear vision
>> of the project, well documented on the xwiki.org wiki, you should have
>> the build infrastructure ready, and you should be pretty familiar with the
>> existing code you will need to interact with. And, of course, you should be
>> familiar with the community and the way we communicate.
>>
>> Good luck, and may we all have a great Summer of Code!

Sorry to answer myself, a few precisions:

Le 26 avr. 2012 à 13:24, Paul Libbrecht a écrit :
> - one page about her Google Summer of Code work where, for example, the schedule she presented in her proposal is presented to the public and, where we shall elaborate it with milestones that are assessable somehow.

I would suggest it also includes the following which I'm happy to complement:

- detail the incorporation alternatives so that we know what kind of versioning we base on (e.g.: very successful early: incorporation in trunk; successful at end: a simple pull request; simple cases: a standalone contribution with installation instructions, ...)

- software availability at milestones (e.g. unit-tests, docs, can be tried by someone, ...)

- describe the expected feedback of community and mentors at each phase

> Eduard, someone, are there example for such pages?
> It would be possible to replace the project page:
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/inline/GoogleSummerOfCode/SOLRsearchcomponent
> but I think this is more a "proposal", or?

> - one design page about the SOLR component. There are many design pages so Savitha, go ahead and get inspired.

Maybe the page of Fabio is a start?

paul

Re: [GSOC] Welcoming our GSoC students

Eduard Moraru
Hi Paul, students,

The best place for GSoC students to work in, when it comes to architecture,
design, documentation etc., is the students' wiki: http://gsoc.myxwiki.org

The students' wiki needs a bit more maintaining, but it should be usable.
I`ve done some minor decorating for GSoC 2012.

The students need to register a new user (the xiwki.org user does not work
since it's a different farm). Besides wiki pages, they can also use the
Blog if they don`t already have one :).

Thanks,
Eduard

On May 2, 2012, at 6:18 PM, Eduard Moraru wrote:

> Hi Paul, students,
>
> The best place for GSoC students to work in, when it comes to architecture,
> design, documentation etc., is the students' wiki: http://gsoc.myxwiki.org

I don't quite agree. For me a GSOC student must be treated exactly like any contributor.

Thus for me the best place for architecture, design is http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/WebHome

More generally they should use the exact same tools as all xwiki developers/contributors are using so that we don't create silos: mailing list, irc, design page, etc.

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 2, 2012, at 6:18 PM, Eduard Moraru wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul, students,
>>
>> The best place for GSoC students to work in, when it comes to architecture,
>> design, documentation etc., is the students' wiki: http://gsoc.myxwiki.org
>
> I don't quite agree. For me a GSOC student must be treated exactly like any contributor.
>
> Thus for me the best place for architecture, design is http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/WebHome
>
> More generally they should use the exact same tools as all xwiki developers/contributors are using so that we don't create silos: mailing list, irc, design page, etc.

I agree with Vincent on this, I don't see the point in isolating GSOC
students on a special wiki when we have a place for this already.

>> The students' wiki needs a bit more maintaining, but it should be usable.
>> I`ve done some minor decorating for GSoC 2012.
>>
>> The students need to register a new user (the xiwki.org user does not work
>> since it's a different farm). Besides wiki pages, they can also use the
>> Blog if they don`t already have one :).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eduard
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry to answer myself, a few precisions:

>>> schedule she presented in her proposal is presented to the public and,
>>> where we shall elaborate it with milestones that are assessable somehow.
>>>
>>> I would suggest it also includes the following which I'm happy to
>>> complement:
>>>
>>> - detail the incorporation alternatives so that we know what kind of
>>> versioning we base on (e.g.: very successful early: incorporation in trunk;
>>> successful at end: a simple pull request; simple cases: a standalone
>>> contribution with installation instructions, ...)
>>>
>>> - software availability at milestones (e.g. unit-tests, docs, can be tried
>>> by someone, ...)
>>>
>>> - describe the expected feedback of community and mentors at each phase

>>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/inline/GoogleSummerOfCode/SOLRsearchcomponent

>>> so Savitha, go ahead and get inspired.
>>>
>>> Maybe the page of Fabio is a start?
>>>
>>> paul

Re: [GSOC] Welcoming our GSoC students

Eduard Moraru
Yes, you are right Vincent and Thomas.

So, to reiterate, students should use
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/<http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/WebHome>to
organize and document the work that is going to be done. Just create a
new entry for your feature and follow the remaining indications (make a
jira issue, send a mail to the community asking for feedback on your
documented plan of action, etc.).

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,
Eduard

P.S.: I have added a mention on the gsoc.myxwiki.org wiki that it is
deprecated (pointing to devs.xwiki.org) and have disabled user registration.

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On May 2, 2012, at 6:18 PM, Eduard Moraru wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Paul, students,
> >>
> >> The best place for GSoC students to work in, when it comes to
> architecture,
> >> design, documentation etc., is the students' wiki:
> http://gsoc.myxwiki.org
> >
> > I don't quite agree. For me a GSOC student must be treated exactly like
> any contributor.
> >
> > Thus for me the best place for architecture, design is
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/WebHome
> >
> > More generally they should use the exact same tools as all xwiki
> developers/contributors are using so that we don't create silos: mailing
> list, irc, design page, etc.
>
> I agree with Vincent on this, I don't see the point in isolating GSOC
> students on a special wiki when we have a place for this already.

> >> The students' wiki needs a bit more maintaining, but it should be
> usable.
> >> I`ve done some minor decorating for GSoC 2012.
> >>
> >> The students need to register a new user (the xiwki.org user does not
> work
> >> since it's a different farm). Besides wiki pages, they can also use the
> >> Blog if they don`t already have one :).
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Eduard

> the
> somehow.

> trunk;

> tried

> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/inline/GoogleSummerOfCode/SOLRsearchcomponent

> pages

Re: [GSOC] Welcoming our GSoC students

Paul Libbrecht-2
Eduard,

don't you want to keep gsoc.xwiki.org for the GSoC specific work?
In my earlier post, I suggested the student to create two posts:
- one design page, which will live after the GSoC period if the feature does
- one GSoC process page documenting such things as milestones and assessable activities
I think the second really does not belong to devs.xwiki.org, unless it's a space for GSoC (which would be ok as well).

paul

Le 3 mai 2012 à 13:29, Eduard Moraru a écrit :

> Yes, you are right Vincent and Thomas.
>
> So, to reiterate, students should use
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/<http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/WebHome>to
> organize and document the work that is going to be done. Just create a
> new entry for your feature and follow the remaining indications (make a
> jira issue, send a mail to the community asking for feedback on your
> documented plan of action, etc.).
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> P.S.: I have added a mention on the gsoc.myxwiki.org wiki that it is
> deprecated (pointing to devs.xwiki.org) and have disabled user registration.
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]>wrote:

>> architecture,
>> http://gsoc.myxwiki.org
>>>
>>> I don't quite agree. For me a GSOC student must be treated exactly like
>> any contributor.
>>>
>>> Thus for me the best place for architecture, design is
>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/WebHome
>>>
>>> More generally they should use the exact same tools as all xwiki
>> developers/contributors are using so that we don't create silos: mailing
>> list, irc, design page, etc.
>>
>> I agree with Vincent on this, I don't see the point in isolating GSOC
>> students on a special wiki when we have a place for this already.
>>

>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>> usable.

>> work

>> the
>> somehow.

>> trunk;

>> tried

>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/inline/GoogleSummerOfCode/SOLRsearchcomponent

>> pages

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [GSOC] Welcoming our GSoC students

Eduard Moraru
Paul, mentors,

Just to get it out of the way, please don`t confuse gsoc.myxwiki.org (the
wiki I`ve just deprecated) with gsoc.xwiki.org (redirect to the
GoogleSummerOfCode space on dev.xwiki.org).

I actually found out about gsoc.myxwiki.org this year, noticed that it was
updated for 2011 and thought that we could use it for 2012 as well.
However, after a better look at it, I`ve noticed that it has been used only
around 2009 and it was quite abandoned (and full of spam users), most
likely due to the fact that (as Vincent and Thomas underlined) we want
students to behave just like regular contributors/committers.

Regarding the need for a place where to monitor and report the student's
progress, we could have that on devs.xwiki.org as well but (as you
suggested) maybe under the GoogleSummerOfCode space. There really is no
need for a separate wiki (duplicates users and isolates visibility).

So an idea could be to extend the ProjectClass by adding a new TextArea
field (i.e. 'progress') where the student and mentor can list milestones
and general progress of the student that is 'assigned' to the project. We
mark the project's status as 'Selected' and, at the end of the summer, we
update the status field to 'Successfully terminated' or 'Failed'. This
workflow is suggested by the current design of the ProjectClass, it is only
missing a 'progress' field as I`ve just explained.

Does the TextArea field offer enough flexibility for reporting the
student's progress? Any other fields that might be missing?

Thanks,
Eduard

Le 3 mai 2012 à 14:26, Eduard Moraru a écrit :

> Regarding the need for a place where to monitor and report the student's
> progress, we could have that on devs.xwiki.org as well but (as you
> suggested) maybe under the GoogleSummerOfCode space. There really is no
> need for a separate wiki (duplicates users and isolates visibility).

I agree.

> So an idea could be to extend the ProjectClass by adding a new TextArea
> field (i.e. 'progress') where the student and mentor can list milestones
> and general progress of the student that is 'assigned' to the project. We
> mark the project's status as 'Selected' and, at the end of the summer, we
> update the status field to 'Successfully terminated' or 'Failed'. This
> workflow is suggested by the current design of the ProjectClass, it is only
> missing a 'progress' field as I`ve just explained.

How would that behave in history comparisons?
That seems to be an essential tool.
If the diff wouldn't show the diff of the lines of the textarea, then I'd suggest we simply use the page content.

> Does the TextArea field offer enough flexibility for reporting the
> student's progress? Any other fields that might be missing?

I think I'd intend to write the things within the page.

paul

Re: [GSOC] Welcoming our GSoC students

Eduard Moraru
Page history looks good when editing a TextArea property of an object. It
behaves the same way as for the page content.

How about mixing the two approaches?

That is, add a 'progress' TextArea where students can keep a summary of
their progress and where they can link to other pages where you can get
more details of specific issues. This way the project page looks good, it
is displayed by the project sheet and is editable in inline mode.
Additionally, you have the freedom to do whatever you want in the linked
pages.

I am going to implement this right now so that people can start using it.
We can change it along the way. Directly editing the content of the project
page is definitely not the way to go.

Thanks,
Eduard