GSOC XWiki Android proposal WYSIWYG Editor

GSOC XWiki Android proposal WYSIWYG Editor

sasinda
Dear* Thomas,*
I think it will take the same time with android. No difference. I am also
thinking that it is easy to propose but hard to make. I will lower the set
of requirements to a doable set. I will almost complete the proposal by
today night.
Thanks for frequently checking out.

Regards,

Sasinda Rukshan,

Re: GSOC XWiki Android proposal WYSIWYG Editor

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM, sasinda rukshan
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear* Thomas,*
> I think it will take the same time with android. No difference. I am also
> thinking that it is easy to propose but hard to make. I will lower the set
> of requirements to a doable set. I will almost complete the proposal by
> today night.

Well probably a bit less time since you don't have do deal with
browser differences like the XWiki WYSIWYG does but still a big work
if there is nothing to help doing this on Android.

I just found http://code.google.com/p/droid-writer/ by searching a bit
on Google, maybe that would help you.

> Thanks for frequently checking out.

My pleasure ;)

> Regards,
>
> Sasinda Rukshan,

Re: GSOC XWiki Android proposal WYSIWYG Editor

sasinda
Hi Thomas,

Sorry I could not respond to you earlier.I was traveling.
Thank you for the suggestion.In stack overflow it was said that you have to
checkout an old revision in the repository and the latest version was now
not available.(The new one is deleted somehow. On purpose, maybe).I will
check it tomorrow.

I will make the proposal saying I will do the blog application and the
architecture proposed above is just for structuring my work and to show
what the *potential* is (specially to the Google) If Google does not select
this project to be a good suggestion out of the slots they are offering for
XWiki, I have a risk, so I will leave the proposed architecture and
highlight the fact that this is just to show how the project will be
directed in the future. I am not smart to implement all those platform
modules in the give period.Some I don't have enough knowledge. But I had a
brief idea on how to implement them.Like for example Cache module can be
implemented using the last modified time stamp of the Object data(not
HTML response's last modified date, as it sure is generated from a servlet)
 inside the HTML response that the RESTful APIs return.

Now the issue is by doing a WYSYWIG editor I will mainly contributing a
reusable UI element to XWiki Mobile Platform. As it looks like this will
take some time. So it goes a little out of you vision for a XWiki mobile
platform(i.e. I am going deep in to one direction in the platform instead
of scratching the breadth of it).

A) So my main contribution would be WYSYWIG and  Android account content
shareing ( I am thinking of using Android ContentProviders,from what I
read, that's what Android platform is using to share its settings etc.).

B) I like to do
     Persisting the blog document for later editing. (persistency parts I
would add to the Persistence module.Its a Facade.Hmm... If there was JPA in
android...)
     Remember password.Store it in the device (encrypted.Use SKE. Key would
be also stored in the device anyway.).

From my experience some tricky program parts take time way more than I
expect. So maybe I may not have enough time to do (B).
What is your suggestion. I like to do the WYSYWIG. If I am to do it I will
need to store the styles using HTML and inline CSS. It can be done while
editing the doc or by at the end transforming Android native formating to
HTML .(1 st option is easy but not optimal at memory usage.Since people see
the functionality not our optimization's I vote for 1).

If you are voting for a WYSIWYG I'll create mock ups and add to the
proposal.
To tell about the architecture, Domain Model Module:
Almost all of the model parts are done in the Google Android Connector.So I
have nothing much to do there.

Can you suggest what is doable within time frame? Is it OK to propose those
features even I am not sure whether I will have enough time?

*As I am on study leave from Friday (I am skipping the university tomorrow
;-)), Shall I make a document to explain what the Android XWiki mobile main
app suggestion is about. (One main app to hold every thing). I am not going
to make it. I don't have enough experience to make a program
with pluggable architecture in Android.Maybe some other developers
interested may look at it. Will it be relevant to link it in melangae.*

Is Google looking at other projects we have done? Or is it just for you.If
it is needed I can upload code of my past projects.( not much, Servlet
based web apps, Battle Tanks game with AI, JGame lib was used).

Regards,
Sasinda.

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM, sasinda rukshan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Dear* Thomas,*
> > I think it will take the same time with android. No difference. I am also
> > thinking that it is easy to propose but hard to make. I will lower the
> set
> > of requirements to a doable set. I will almost complete the proposal by
> > today night.
>
> Well probably a bit less time since you don't have do deal with
> browser differences like the XWiki WYSIWYG does but still a big work
> if there is nothing to help doing this on Android.
>
> I just found http://code.google.com/p/droid-writer/ by searching a bit
> on Google, maybe that would help you.
>
> > Thanks for frequently checking out.
>
> My pleasure ;)
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Sasinda Rukshan,

Re: GSOC XWiki Android proposal WYSIWYG Editor

sasinda
Hi Thomas,
Found out this
http://www.ninthavenue.com.au/android-orm-jpa . I can use one of these for
persistence module.
Its easy for me to use direct SQLlite for my purpose. But for platform We
can use one of these and annotate our models so we can easily persist
them.(OK.This is if I hv time when I finish rich text editor)

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM, sasinda rukshan <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
>> > I think it will take the same time with android. No difference. I am
>> also
>> > thinking that it is easy to propose but hard to make. I will lower the
>> set
>> > of requirements to a doable set. I will almost complete the proposal by
>> > today night.
>>
>> Well probably a bit less time since you don't have do deal with
>> browser differences like the XWiki WYSIWYG does but still a big work
>> if there is nothing to help doing this on Android.
>>
>> I just found http://code.google.com/p/droid-writer/ by searching a bit
>> on Google, maybe that would help you.
>>
>> > Thanks for frequently checking out.
>>
>> My pleasure ;)
>>

>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Sasinda Rukshan,

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: GSOC XWiki Android proposal WYSIWYG Editor

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 5:19 PM, sasinda rukshan
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Sorry I could not respond to you earlier.I was traveling.
> Thank you for the suggestion.In stack overflow it was said that you have to
> checkout an old revision in the repository and the latest version was now
> not available.(The new one is deleted somehow. On purpose, maybe).I will
> check it tomorrow.

You are actually talking about
http://code.google.com/p/android-richtexteditor/ that I seen also. But
http://code.google.com/p/droid-writer/ is still alive and have real
version and downloads.

> I will make the proposal saying I will do the blog application and the
> architecture proposed above is just for structuring my work and to show
> what the *potential* is (specially to the Google) If Google does not select
> this project to be a good suggestion out of the slots they are offering for
> XWiki, I have a risk, so I will leave the proposed architecture and
> highlight the fact that this is just to show how the project will be
> directed in the future.I am not smart to implement all those platform
> modules in the give period.Some I don't have enough knowledge. But I had a
> brief idea on how to implement them.Like for example Cache module can be
> implemented using the last modified time stamp of the Object data(not
> HTML response's last modified date, as it sure is generated from a servlet)
>  inside the HTML response that the RESTful APIs return.
>
> Now the issue is by doing a WYSYWIG editor I will mainly contributing a
> reusable UI element to XWiki Mobile Platform. As it looks like this will
> take some time. So it goes a little out of you vision for a XWiki mobile
> platform(i.e. I am going deep in to one direction in the platform instead
> of scratching the breadth of it).
>
> A) So my main contribution would be WYSYWIG and  Android account content
> shareing ( I am thinking of using Android ContentProviders,from what I
> read, that's what Android platform is using to share its settings etc.).
>
> B) I like to do
>     Persisting the blog document for later editing. (persistency parts I
> would add to the Persistence module.Its a Facade.Hmm... If there was JPA in
> android...)
>     Remember password.Store it in the device (encrypted.Use SKE. Key would
> be also stored in the device anyway.).
>
> From my experience some tricky program parts take time way more than I
> expect. So maybe I may not have enough time to do (B).
> What is your suggestion. I like to do the WYSYWIG. If I am to do it I will
> need to store the styles using HTML and inline CSS. It can be done while
> editing the doc or by at the end transforming Android native formating to
> HTML .(1 st option is easy but not optimal at memory usage.Since people see
> the functionality not our optimization's I vote for 1).

You should probably look at how http://code.google.com/p/droid-writer/
(or others) do things before deciding anything on that. Note that the
XWiki Javascript WYSIWYG only manipulate HTML (it receive HTML from
the server and send back modified HTML) so you can probably do the
same thing.

> If you are voting for a WYSIWYG I'll create mock ups and add to the
> proposal.

The WYSIWYG is an interesting idea but I confess that it's not really
my main concern for this project right now. It's pretty advanced
compared to the current state of the XWiki Android framework. But
again you should first look at http://code.google.com/p/droid-writer/
before proposing anything, maybe it actually have pretty much all you
need already and that you don't need to do your own WYSIWYG and maybe
just contribute to it to improve some minor stuff you need (or not
even).

> To tell about the architecture, Domain Model Module:
> Almost all of the model parts are done in the Google Android Connector.So I
> have nothing much to do there.
>
> Can you suggest what is doable within time frame? Is it OK to propose those
> features even I am not sure whether I will have enough time?

We are supposed to judge you on whether you did what you said you
would or not. So you should find the right balance between proposing
something that would make us select you and at the same time something
that you can do so that you succeed the GSOC.

> *As I am on study leave from Friday (I am skipping the university tomorrow
> ;-)), Shall I make a document to explain what the Android XWiki mobile main
> app suggestion is about. (One main app to hold every thing). I am not going
> to make it. I don't have enough experience to make a program
> with pluggable architecture in Android.Maybe some other developers
> interested may look at it. Will it be relevant to link it in melangae.*

You should put on melange only what you plan to do in the timeframe.
Now if you want to register somewhere some ideas for later the right
place is http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/.

> Is Google looking at other projects we have done? Or is it just for you.If
> it is needed I can upload code of my past projects.( not much, Servlet
> based web apps, Battle Tanks game with AI, JGame lib was used).

Just for us to help us put a value on each candidate skills.

> Regards,
> Sasinda.
>
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM, sasinda rukshan
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Dear* Thomas,*
>> > I think it will take the same time with android. No difference. I am also
>> > thinking that it is easy to propose but hard to make. I will lower the
>> set
>> > of requirements to a doable set. I will almost complete the proposal by
>> > today night.
>>
>> Well probably a bit less time since you don't have do deal with
>> browser differences like the XWiki WYSIWYG does but still a big work
>> if there is nothing to help doing this on Android.
>>
>> I just found http://code.google.com/p/droid-writer/ by searching a bit
>> on Google, maybe that would help you.
>>
>> > Thanks for frequently checking out.
>>
>> My pleasure ;)
>>

>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Sasinda Rukshan,

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: GSOC XWiki Android proposal WYSIWYG Editor

sasinda
Hi Thomas

Seems android already has encryption facility.
javax.crypto

Regards Sasinda.

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM, sasinda rukshan <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
>> you.If it is needed I can upload code of my past projects.( not much,
>> Servlet based web apps, Battle Tanks game with AI, JGame lib was used).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sasinda.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Thomas Mortagne <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> also
>>> set
>>>
>>> Well probably a bit less time since you don't have do deal with
>>> browser differences like the XWiki WYSIWYG does but still a big work
>>> if there is nothing to help doing this on Android.
>>>
>>> I just found http://code.google.com/p/droid-writer/ by searching a bit
>>> on Google, maybe that would help you.

>>> My pleasure ;)

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: GSOC XWiki Android proposal WYSIWYG Editor

Thanks.
"
Fatures under development : Export/Import text *to/from HTML* and BBCode.  "
Its missing the most important part. I can intercept the text edit methods
and have the separate document model defined with HTML and CSS on the time
of editing. Transforming the above at the end will take a lot of regexp to
convert. So I cant come to a decision how quickly I can do this.

Then back to the platform.
I have the idea to do persistence.(annotate the model using ORM annotations)
Android XWiki account.(Content Provider)
Security ( passing to javax.crypto)
Blogging application without WYSIWYG and add the parts as reusable
components to the proposed architecture.
Observable module poll for new comments in the server instance and notify
to Blogging app.
No implementation in the caching module.

I may be able to add more(under your suggestions) which are not relevant to
the Blogging module but I want mark it in the proposal.

So with these in mind I will remake the proposal. I wan't take back the
architecture, As this is the way I think to structure the components on the
go.

BTW, I was under the impression that it was not only XWiki community but
Google also has a major part in selecting which are the projects that
should be accepted.(as there are multiple projects for XWiki)

Regards,
Sasinda Rukshan.

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM, sasinda rukshan <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
>>> those features even I am not sure whether I will have enough time?
>>>

>>> *As I am on study leave from Friday (I am skipping the university
>>> tomorrow ;-)), Shall I make a document to explain what the Android XWiki
>>> mobile main app suggestion is about. (One main app to hold every thing). I
>>> am not going to make it. I don't have enough experience to make a program
>>> with pluggable architecture in Android.Maybe some other developers
>>> interested may look at it. Will it be relevant to link it in melangae.*
>>>
>>> Is Google looking at other projects we have done? Or is it just for
>>> you.If it is needed I can upload code of my past projects.( not much,
>>> Servlet based web apps, Battle Tanks game with AI, JGame lib was used).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Sasinda.

Re: GSOC XWiki Android proposal WYSIWYG Editor

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 6:15 PM, sasinda rukshan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
> Thanks.
> "
> Fatures under development : Export/Import text *to/from HTML* and BBCode.  "
> Its missing the most important part. I can intercept the text edit methods
> and have the separate document model defined with HTML and CSS on the time
> of editing. Transforming the above at the end will take a lot of regexp to
> convert. So I cant come to a decision how quickly I can do this.
>
> Then back to the platform.
> I have the idea to do persistence.(annotate the model using ORM annotations)
> Android XWiki account.(Content Provider)
> Security ( passing to javax.crypto)
> Blogging application without WYSIWYG and add the parts as reusable
> components to the proposed architecture.
> Observable module poll for new comments in the server instance and notify
> to Blogging app.
> No implementation in the caching module.
>
> I may be able to add more(under your suggestions) which are not relevant to
> the Blogging module but I want mark it in the proposal.
>
> So with these in mind I will remake the proposal. I wan't take back the
> architecture, As this is the way I think to structure the components on the
> go.
>
> BTW, I was under the impression that it was not only XWiki community but
> Google also has a major part in selecting which are the projects that
> should be accepted.(as there are multiple projects for XWiki)

XWiki just suggest ideas but anyone can propose anything and Google
just give XWiki a number of slots to assign the way we want. It's
possible Google look at the proposal but probably only to decide how
much interesting there is to decide how much slots to allocate XWiki.

> Regards,
> Sasinda Rukshan.
>

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM, sasinda rukshan <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi Thomas
>>
>> Seems android already has encryption facility.
>> javax.crypto
>>
>> Regards Sasinda.
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM, sasinda rukshan <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Thomas,
>>> Found out this
>>> http://www.ninthavenue.com.au/android-orm-jpa . I can use one of these
>>> for persistence module.
>>> Its easy for me to use direct SQLlite for my purpose. But for platform We
>>> can use one of these and annotate our models so we can easily persist
>>> them.(OK.This is if I hv time when I finish rich text editor)
>>>

>>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM, sasinda rukshan <[hidden email]

Re: GSOC XWiki Android proposal WYSIWYG Editor

sasinda
Hi Thomas,
I changed the proposal.I think the functionality I am going to add
are important for the mobile platform.ORMLite is a bit heavy library
(200KB) as it supports not only SQLLite.
ActiveAndroid<https://www.activeandroid.com/>
 https://www.activeandroid.com/ was perfect as SQL Lite only version. Any
way its not opensource.
I have experienc in JPA. As the wiki documentation says WXQL is used
developers will be experts in JPA.So I want add my custom DAOs. Just go
with JPA like entities.
Thank you
Sasinda Rukshan.