[GSOC][doubt] Solr Search Component

savitha sundaramurthy
Hi all,

     While trying to retrieve the search results had the following doubts.

*Problem: *
*
*
*            *Say XWiki has three languages English, Spanish, French. I
give a query in English(some *proper noun*) ,
  should it return the documents pertaining only to english or it can
return documents pertaining to other languages too?

If the scenario is such that it retrieves the documents irrespective of
languages, I have few ideas to deal with it.

1) We can get the documents, merge them, add the scores and give it a high
rating. This would help to avoid super
   results such as a display of a different match in each language to some
extent.
2) Make it a part of facet search , where search results could be
differentiated base don language.

Would be really helpful to gain your suggestions.

--
Thanks a lot,
Savitha.s

Re: [GSOC][doubt] Solr Search Component

Paul Libbrecht-2
Savitha,

I think there will be cases when either are desirable. Best would be to implement both.

However, I just love the idea of using facets (which are suggested query refinements) when facing a term present in multiple languages.

I am still unclear how you can implement 1) in your proposal, but there's a chance you could do it. Remember: no results post-processing (e.g. merging of results).

Paul

On 06/28/2012 04:01 AM, savitha sundaramurthy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>       While trying to retrieve the search results had the following doubts.
>
> *Problem: *
> *
> *
> *            *Say XWiki has three languages English, Spanish, French. I
> give a query in English(some *proper noun*) ,
>    should it return the documents pertaining only to english or it can
> return documents pertaining to other languages too?
>
> If the scenario is such that it retrieves the documents irrespective of
> languages, I have few ideas to deal with it.
>
> 1) We can get the documents, merge them, add the scores and give it a high
> rating. This would help to avoid super
>     results such as a display of a different match in each language to some
> extent.
> 2) Make it a part of facet search , where search results could be
> differentiated base don language.
>
> Would be really helpful to gain your suggestions.

XWiki is pretty unique in the way it handles multilingualism, so I can't
think of an example to follow.

Also, how a multilingual XWiki is going to be used depends a lot on the
particular organization using it, so one generic solution might not make
everybody happy, so multiple solutions to chose from (in the
administration) might be the proper way to go.

Here's how I would like things:

When searching for something, let's say "scorpions", and my current
language is English, I see first documents that are written in English:

"
Search results for "Scorpions":

[100%] Scorpion
[ 95%] The Scorpions
[ 50%] Scorpio
"

After that, we also search for a few top hits in all the other languages
except English, and if we have strong hits (let's say score above 75%),
we display something like:

"
You might be interested in these results in other languages:

[ 98%] [de] The Scoripions
[ 90%] [fr] Scorpiones
[ 89%] [ro] Scorpion

[[Search for "Scorpions" in every language]]
"

Now, I'm not sure when exactly to display this:
- every time when there are hits with a score above a threshold
- only when there are hits with scores higher than the best scoring
result in the current language
- only when there are few results in the current language (less than 5)
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [GSOC][doubt] Solr Search Component

Eduard Moraru
Hi,

IMO, XWiki's search feature is severely affected by the fact that, as a
structured wiki, it does *not* take advantage at all of the fact that the
domain is known (and already mapped in lucene) and, instead, it asks users
for a plain keyword.

If you look at Google, for example, keyword search is perfectly valid,
since the domain is unknown (web pages, free text, etc), but for XWiki, it
is an absolute *must* to provide an advanced search (faceted search)
feature:
- result type
- language
- author
- date
- wiki
- object class
- attachment
- etc.

Only then, IMO, we can really discuss about how we can improve on the
results and tweak the scoring. Just take a look at the search suggest
feature. I, for one, always use search suggest because it is the closest
thing to a "focused" search that reflects my search intent.

Until then, we can only hack solutions that will never be good enough for a
user that wants to find something in XWiki. A magic solution that guesses
what the user is looking for just by entering a single keyword does not
seem to be achievable in the near future (at least not without a brain wave
reader :) ).

On the implementation side, it's actually just a matter of building a
proper UI that generates the lucene query.

Not sure if this helped very much for the topic at hand, but maybe it will
inspire someone reading it :)

Thanks,
Eduard

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 3:50 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> [ 50%] Scorpio
> "
>
> After that, we also search for a few top hits in all the other languages
> except English, and if we have strong hits (let's say score above 75%), we
> display something like:
>
> "
> You might be interested in these results in other languages:
>
> [ 98%] [de] The Scoripions
> [ 90%] [fr] Scorpiones
> [ 89%] [ro] Scorpion
>
> [[Search for "Scorpions" in every language]]
> "
>
> Now, I'm not sure when exactly to display this:
> - every time when there are hits with a score above a threshold
> - only when there are hits with scores higher than the best scoring result
> in the current language
> - only when there are few results in the current language (less than 5)

IMO we really need an advanced search. From there you could filter the
spaces, if the results you want are attachments, if the pages were created
in a certain period, how many results you want to have, etc.
Having a language filter in this advanced search makes very much sense.

Although when I first read the topic I was thinking about it from a
developer point of view and tried to squeeze all the results together in a
view, then I thought why would someone want to see results in different
languages?
For example:
- I use the google.com site because I don't want to receive pages written
in romanian;
- if I would want to have also romanian pages I can go advanced setting and
select also Romanian for the search results;
- now I'm pretty sure I don't want to see pages in german or latvian or any
other language (although in the google example I could easily translate
them if they would have great quality content).

Seeing that some pages have what I want is ok, but I won't be able to
understand that content (except using a translation service) if those pages
are in other languages than my selected language.
The merging of scores for a document that has multiple translations is
especially confusing, because if the interface doesn't mention in what
language version of the page it has found my query, I will open the english
version for example and I won't find anything there for my use.

What I would propose, besides advanced filters, is:
- by default show results only from current user language;
- allow to search and display for multiple/all languages only if you are
using the advanced search; (display the results with the language mark [en,
de, etc.], sort by relevance);
- suggest results from other languages versions (like sergiu mentioned) if
there are no results for the current language + hint for advanced search.
(This case may be when the page I look for haven't been yet translated and
at least I should see that the wiki contains results on my query, but not
what I needed).

IMO multiple translations of the same page should have similar (equal)
scores. Seeing in my search results that the french version of the page I
need has a higher score than the english version I need doesn't give me any
insight and I will still open the english one.

Hope this helps,

> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [GSOC][doubt] Solr Search Component

Paul Libbrecht-2
Eduard,

I do not think there is *one* UI for such. Also... I note that it is possible today to query most of the things you ask below, since the Lucene Query Parser is used.

I believe Savitha's job is to make one such UI (I'm fine with your suggestions, but please not a super rich and heavy UI!) but, more importantly, a toolset so that UIs are built.

To get a little hint on "alternative" search engines usages, I'd like to demo Savitha the inner and technical aspects of the search of Curriki (Solr-based, outside of XWiki but uses its model, Json integrated, high-performance, closed-source) and I2geo.net (XWiki-Lucene-based, with strong changes, inside XWiki, partly ontology based, open-source). Among others, the "advanced search" there is quite different (and is quite heavy).

I know Savitha and Joshua would be interested to this, who else?
It'd be during next week at some common time.

Paul

Le 29 juin 2012 à 16:59, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) a écrit :

> What I would propose, besides advanced filters, is:
> - by default show results only from current user language;
> - allow to search and display for multiple/all languages only if you are
> using the advanced search; (display the results with the language mark [en,
> de, etc.], sort by relevance);
> - suggest results from other languages versions (like sergiu mentioned) if
> there are no results for the current language + hint for advanced search.
> (This case may be when the page I look for haven't been yet translated and
> at least I should see that the wiki contains results on my query, but not
> what I needed).

I am not 100% sure this will be always wanted to use only "your" language (it is non-defined if just looking that the text quite often, wrong in a internet café in a country just a few kilometers away, ...).
I, personnaly, would feel bad to enter en English sentence and find no matches because my environment is currently in French.

As a result, I feel the right thing is to consider all languages of your environment (the xwiki language, the browser 1st, second, ... languages). But again, this might be a business decision.

Facets, however, are the best way to enter the advanced search without the user seeing it.

Paul

Re: [GSOC][doubt] Solr Search Component

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 29 juin 2012 à 16:59, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) a écrit :
>
> > What I would propose, besides advanced filters, is:
> > - by default show results only from current user language;
> > - allow to search and display for multiple/all languages only if you are
> > using the advanced search; (display the results with the language mark
> [en,
> > de, etc.], sort by relevance);
> > - suggest results from other languages versions (like sergiu mentioned)
> if
> > there are no results for the current language + hint for advanced search.
> > (This case may be when the page I look for haven't been yet translated
> and
> > at least I should see that the wiki contains results on my query, but not
> > what I needed).
>
> I am not 100% sure this will be always wanted to use only "your" language
> (it is non-defined if just looking that the text quite often, wrong in a
> internet café in a country just a few kilometers away, ...).
> I, personnaly, would feel bad to enter en English sentence and find no
> matches because my environment is currently in French.
>
> As a result, I feel the right thing is to consider all languages of your
> environment (the xwiki language, the browser 1st, second, ... languages).
> But again, this might be a business decision.

> They're heavy, hard to read and most commonly unused.
> Facets, however, are the best way to enter the advanced search without the
> user seeing it.

I just want to say that when me and Eduard are talking about "advanced
search" we meant the ability to be able to filter and refine the search
results, doesn't matter if it's pre or post query, etc. We didn't insist on
to be used. So we may have missed-used the domain terms.

> Paul

Re: [GSOC][doubt] Solr Search Component

Roman Muntyanu
http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/dashboard
just an example of really advanced faceted search with single search field

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 29 juin 2012 à 16:59, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) a écrit :
>
> > What I would propose, besides advanced filters, is:
> > - by default show results only from current user language;
> > - allow to search and display for multiple/all languages only if you
> > are using the advanced search; (display the results with the
> > language mark
> [en,
> > de, etc.], sort by relevance);
> > - suggest results from other languages versions (like sergiu
> > mentioned)
> if
> > there are no results for the current language + hint for advanced search.
> > (This case may be when the page I look for haven't been yet
> > translated
> and
> > at least I should see that the wiki contains results on my query,
> > but not what I needed).
>
> I am not 100% sure this will be always wanted to use only "your"
> language (it is non-defined if just looking that the text quite often,
> wrong in a internet café in a country just a few kilometers away, ...).
> I, personnaly, would feel bad to enter en English sentence and find no
> matches because my environment is currently in French.
>
> As a result, I feel the right thing is to consider all languages of
> your environment (the xwiki language, the browser 1st, second, ... languages).
> But again, this might be a business decision.

> They're heavy, hard to read and most commonly unused.
> Facets, however, are the best way to enter the advanced search without
> the user seeing it.

I just want to say that when me and Eduard are talking about "advanced search" we meant the ability to be able to filter and refine the search results, doesn't matter if it's pre or post query, etc. We didn't insist on advanced search solution. Faceted navigation as a search pattern is great to be used. So we may have missed-used the domain terms.

Le 2 juil. 2012 à 11:29, Roman Muntyanu a écrit :
> http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/dashboard
> just an example of really advanced faceted search with single search field

I just love this approach. (note that this is not called facetted search which "generates refinements suggestions", but this is a form of advanced search, I believe)
And it would combine well with the Edismax
 http://lucidworks.lucidimagination.com/display/solr/The+Extended+DisMax+Query+Parser

It would be interesting to investigate if such auto-completion (also similar to that of the jira search I think) has already been implemented with Edismax. Savitha? I think asking on the solr-user list would make sense! For having implemented a basic auto-completion for i2geo.net, I dare say that it is a very picky implementation...

I am not 100% sure this is what most users are going to like.
But I am sure it creates nicely exchangeable URls which are also very important.

Paul

Re: [GSOC][doubt] Solr Search Component

savitha sundaramurthy
Hi Caty and Eduard,

Thanks for your inputs.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Le 29 juin 2012 à 16:59, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) a écrit :
> >
> > > What I would propose, besides advanced filters, is:
> > > - by default show results only from current user language;
> > > - allow to search and display for multiple/all languages only if you
> are
> > > using the advanced search; (display the results with the language mark
> > [en,
> > > de, etc.], sort by relevance);
> > > - suggest results from other languages versions (like sergiu mentioned)
> > if
> > > there are no results for the current language + hint for advanced
> search.
> > > (This case may be when the page I look for haven't been yet translated
> > and
> > > at least I should see that the wiki contains results on my query, but
> not
> > > what I needed).
> >
> > I am not 100% sure this will be always wanted to use only "your" language
> > (it is non-defined if just looking that the text quite often, wrong in a
> > internet café in a country just a few kilometers away, ...).
> > I, personnaly, would feel bad to enter en English sentence and find no
> > matches because my environment is currently in French.
> >
> > As a result, I feel the right thing is to consider all languages of your
> > environment (the xwiki language, the browser 1st, second, ... languages).
> > But again, this might be a business decision.

> > They're heavy, hard to read and most commonly unused.
> > Facets, however, are the best way to enter the advanced search without
> the
> > user seeing it.
> >

> I just want to say that when me and Eduard are talking about "advanced
> search" we meant the ability to be able to filter and refine the search
> results, doesn't matter if it's pre or post query, etc. We didn't insist on
> to be used. So we may have missed-used the domain terms.

Am  planning to implement a advanced search, will create few mockups and
share with you.
I was going through the search improvements at
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Mockups/Search+Interface. But I
didnt find any for advanced search with left bar for faceted navigation.

e.g.
http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues?q=has%3A+%7BDue+Date%7D+sort+by%3A+%7BDue+Date%7D+asc%2C+State+desc

> Thanks,
> Caty
>

> > Paul

Savitha.s

Re: [GSOC][doubt] Solr Search Component

savitha sundaramurthy
Hi Paul,

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 2 juil. 2012 à 11:09, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) a écrit :
> >> They're heavy, hard to read and most commonly unused.
> >> Facets, however, are the best way to enter the advanced search without
> the
> >> user seeing it.
> >
> > I just want to say that when me and Eduard are talking about "advanced
> > search" we meant the ability to be able to filter and refine the search
> > results, doesn't matter if it's pre or post query, etc. We didn't insist
> on
> > to be used. So we may have missed-used the domain terms.
>

> Le 2 juil. 2012 à 11:29, Roman Muntyanu a écrit :
> > http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/dashboard
> > just an example of really advanced faceted search with single search
> field
>

> I just love this approach. (note that this is not called facetted search
> which "generates refinements suggestions", but this is a form of advanced
> search, I believe)
> And it would combine well with the Edismax
>
> http://lucidworks.lucidimagination.com/display/solr/The+Extended+DisMax+Query+Parser

Yes, am using  Edismax parser and this is possible with edismax.

> It would be interesting to investigate if such auto-completion (also
> similar to that of the jira search I think) has already been implemented
> with Edismax. Savitha? I think asking on the solr-user list would make
> sense! For having implemented a basic auto-completion for i2geo.net, I
> dare say that it is a very picky implementation...

There is already Suggester Component available for solr.
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Suggester/
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/TermsComponent

Am investigating more into this. Using ajax requests with suggester
component should yield a good search auto completion.

> I am not 100% sure this is what most users are going to like.
> But I am sure it creates nicely exchangeable URls which are also very
> important.
>
> Paul

best regards,
Savitha.s

Re: [GSOC][doubt] Solr Search Component

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 7:11 AM, savitha sundaramurthy <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Caty and Eduard,
>
> Thanks for your inputs.
>
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> > are
> mark
> > > [en,
> mentioned)
> > > if
> > search.
> translated
> > > and
> > not
> > >
> > > I am not 100% sure this will be always wanted to use only "your"
> language
> > > (it is non-defined if just looking that the text quite often, wrong in
> > > internet café in a country just a few kilometers away, ...).
> > > I, personnaly, would feel bad to enter en English sentence and find no
> > > matches because my environment is currently in French.
> > >
> > > As a result, I feel the right thing is to consider all languages of
> your
> > > environment (the xwiki language, the browser 1st, second, ...
> languages).
> > > But again, this might be a business decision.

> > > They're heavy, hard to read and most commonly unused.
> > > Facets, however, are the best way to enter the advanced search without
> > the
> > > user seeing it.
> > >

> > I just want to say that when me and Eduard are talking about "advanced
> > search" we meant the ability to be able to filter and refine the search
> > results, doesn't matter if it's pre or post query, etc. We didn't insist
> on
> > to be used. So we may have missed-used the domain terms.
> >

> Am  planning to implement a advanced search, will create few mockups and
> share with you.
> I was going through the search improvements at
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Mockups/Search+Interface. But
> didnt find any for advanced search with left bar for faceted navigation.

Hi,
The Search investigation didn't provide any mockups for the faceted
navigation. It was made in early 2009 and I don't think I even knew about
this pattern then.
Advanced navigation was also considered a bonus feature and I didn't
investigate very much on it. There are few mockups about advanced search at
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Mockups/SearchProposal+SearchBar#advanced