[GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

12

[GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

Wang Ning
Hi,

I have built a  standalone plugin to convert MS Doc, MS excel to html. This
plugin can run as a jar through command line or as a web application through
url.
Next, how to convert the html to xwiki syntax document? use xslt? Do the new
rendering code have any influence?
Now I can't handle the clipboard format. I think clipboard is at the second
priority.

My another question: how to add my code to xwiki code sandbox?  Do I need to
build ,test and distrubut my plugin by maven way? If yes, please tell how.

Thanks very much.

--
Sincerely,
Wang Ning

Re: [GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

Hi Wang,

On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:04 PM, Wang Ning wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have built a  standalone plugin to convert MS Doc, MS excel to html.

cool :)

> This
> plugin can run as a jar through command line or as a web application
> through
> url.

What do you mean by plugin? Do you mean xwiki plugin (probably not)?

You need to find out and propose how to integrate the import feature
into xwiki both in term of UI and in term of code. The best right now
is probably to add a button in the tiny MCE editor.

> Next, how to convert the html to xwiki syntax document? use xslt? Do
> the new
> rendering code have any influence?

I think we can do it in 2 steps:
Step 1: get clean HTML. Since XWiki is able to display HTML it should
work fine. This also means that the imported doc will be edited
through the WYSIWYG editor (tinyMCE)
Step 2: convert the HTML into wiki syntax wherever possible. This is
indeed a job for the new rendering module and you'll need to write an
HTML Parser (i.e. implementing the org.xwiki.rendernig.Parser
interface). You should have a look at the 2 existing parsers:
WikiModelXWikiParser and DoxiaConfluenceParser. In this case though
you should use an XML parser to parse the XHTML instead of wiki model
or doxia. Thus it's important that in step 1 you get clean XHTML
(probably run JTidy on it).

> Now I can't handle the clipboard format. I think clipboard is at the
> second
> priority.
>
> My another question: how to add my code to xwiki code sandbox?  Do I
> need to
> build ,test and distrubut my plugin by maven way? If yes, please
> tell how.

You need to follow all the coding conventions and best practices
described at dev.xwiki.org
You need to provide a maven build yes. Plenty of examples in the xwiki
source tree.
The best is maybe that you package your code as a xwiki plugin for
now. check xwiki-platform-plugins for examples of plugin and how they
are packaged/built.

Re: [GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

Ludovic Dubost-2

I agree,

First you need to package your code as an XWiki plugin that can be called.
This plugin should have as many conversion possibilities.

doc or office -> xhtml
xls -> xhtml
doc -> openoffice
openoffice ->doc
doc -> pdf
html -> pdf
etc..

Concerning xls I think we should look into having an import that does
not go through html
We might want to write xls to wiki table

Ludovic

Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi Wang,
>
> On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:04 PM, Wang Ning wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have built a  standalone plugin to convert MS Doc, MS excel to html.
>>

> cool :)
>

>> This
>> plugin can run as a jar through command line or as a web application
>> through
>> url.
>>

> What do you mean by plugin? Do you mean xwiki plugin (probably not)?
>
> You need to find out and propose how to integrate the import feature
> into xwiki both in term of UI and in term of code. The best right now
> is probably to add a button in the tiny MCE editor.
>

>> Next, how to convert the html to xwiki syntax document? use xslt? Do
>> the new
>> rendering code have any influence?
>>

> I think we can do it in 2 steps:
> Step 1: get clean HTML. Since XWiki is able to display HTML it should
> work fine. This also means that the imported doc will be edited
> through the WYSIWYG editor (tinyMCE)
> Step 2: convert the HTML into wiki syntax wherever possible. This is
> indeed a job for the new rendering module and you'll need to write an
> HTML Parser (i.e. implementing the org.xwiki.rendernig.Parser
> interface). You should have a look at the 2 existing parsers:
> WikiModelXWikiParser and DoxiaConfluenceParser. In this case though
> you should use an XML parser to parse the XHTML instead of wiki model
> or doxia. Thus it's important that in step 1 you get clean XHTML
> (probably run JTidy on it).
>

>> Now I can't handle the clipboard format. I think clipboard is at the
>> second
>> priority.
>>
>> My another question: how to add my code to xwiki code sandbox?  Do I
>> need to
>> build ,test and distrubut my plugin by maven way? If yes, please
>> tell how.
>>

> You need to follow all the coding conventions and best practices
> described at dev.xwiki.org
> You need to provide a maven build yes. Plenty of examples in the xwiki
> source tree.
> The best is maybe that you package your code as a xwiki plugin for
> now. check xwiki-platform-plugins for examples of plugin and how they
> are packaged/built.

Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Ludovic Dubost wrote:

> I agree,
>
> First you need to package your code as an XWiki plugin that can be
> called.
> This plugin should have as many conversion possibilities.
>
> doc or office -> xhtml
> xls -> xhtml
> doc -> openoffice
> openoffice ->doc
> doc -> pdf
> html -> pdf
> etc..

hmm not sure. We only need xhtml I think since it's then the role of
the XWiki HTML Parser to generate an internal DOM. Once we have that
DOM we benefit from all the renderers (PDF, XHTML, RTF, Latex, etc).

> Concerning xls I think we should look into having an import that does
> not go through html
> We might want to write xls to wiki table
>
> Ludovic
>
> Vincent Massol wrote:
>> Hi Wang,
>>
>> On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:04 PM, Wang Ning wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have built a  standalone plugin to convert MS Doc, MS excel to
>>> html.
>>>

>> cool :)
>>

>>> This
>>> plugin can run as a jar through command line or as a web application
>>> through
>>> url.
>>>

>> What do you mean by plugin? Do you mean xwiki plugin (probably not)?
>>
>> You need to find out and propose how to integrate the import feature
>> into xwiki both in term of UI and in term of code. The best right now
>> is probably to add a button in the tiny MCE editor.
>>

>>> Next, how to convert the html to xwiki syntax document? use xslt? Do
>>> the new
>>> rendering code have any influence?
>>>

>> I think we can do it in 2 steps:
>> Step 1: get clean HTML. Since XWiki is able to display HTML it should
>> work fine. This also means that the imported doc will be edited
>> through the WYSIWYG editor (tinyMCE)
>> Step 2: convert the HTML into wiki syntax wherever possible. This is
>> indeed a job for the new rendering module and you'll need to write an
>> HTML Parser (i.e. implementing the org.xwiki.rendernig.Parser
>> interface). You should have a look at the 2 existing parsers:
>> WikiModelXWikiParser and DoxiaConfluenceParser. In this case though
>> you should use an XML parser to parse the XHTML instead of wiki model
>> or doxia. Thus it's important that in step 1 you get clean XHTML
>> (probably run JTidy on it).
>>

>>> Now I can't handle the clipboard format. I think clipboard is at the
>>> second
>>> priority.
>>>
>>> My another question: how to add my code to xwiki code sandbox?  Do I
>>> need to
>>> build ,test and distrubut my plugin by maven way? If yes, please
>>> tell how.
>>>

>> You need to follow all the coding conventions and best practices
>> described at dev.xwiki.org
>> You need to provide a maven build yes. Plenty of examples in the
>> xwiki
>> source tree.
>> The best is maybe that you package your code as a xwiki plugin for
>> now. check xwiki-platform-plugins for examples of plugin and how they
>> are packaged/built.

> Ludovic Dubost
> Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Re: [GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

Ludovic Dubost-2

Yes but I like the idea of having a convertor based on the open office code.
The PDF output of OO is very nice.

BTW, it would be great to have a plugin that runs the OO conversion in
the same machine but also a plugin that would call into a REST api to a
server that would manage a conversion queue.

You will need the conversion queue anyway because you might have
problems if you run multiple conversions at the same time

Ludovic

Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Ludovic Dubost wrote:
>
>> I agree,
>>
>> First you need to package your code as an XWiki plugin that can be
>> called.
>> This plugin should have as many conversion possibilities.
>>
>> doc or office -> xhtml
>> xls -> xhtml
>> doc -> openoffice
>> openoffice ->doc
>> doc -> pdf
>> html -> pdf
>> etc..
>
> hmm not sure. We only need xhtml I think since it's then the role of
> the XWiki HTML Parser to generate an internal DOM. Once we have that
> DOM we benefit from all the renderers (PDF, XHTML, RTF, Latex, etc).

I second Vincent, for the moment the priority is to have wiki documents.
But then I agree with Ludovic, that it would be better to convert
attachments to different formats using the OOo codebase. The pdf export
done now affects only wiki documents, not attachments, and going through
a long chain of conversions (.doc -> wiki -> xhtml -> xsl-fo -> pdf)
will only introduce possible problems at each conversion, while a direct
conversion doc -> pdf using the (better) OOo code is simpler and easier.
We can (and should) keep the current PDF export mechanism for wiki
documents, though.

>> Concerning xls I think we should look into having an import that does
>> not go through html
>> We might want to write xls to wiki table

+1 to this one, too. I think that direct data manipulation through OOo
is better than reverse-engineering html, and not just for spreadsheets,
but other types of documents.
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Ludovic Dubost wrote:
> Yes but I like the idea of having a convertor based on the open office code.
> The PDF output of OO is very nice.
>
> BTW, it would be great to have a plugin that runs the OO conversion in
> the same machine but also a plugin that would call into a REST api to a
> server that would manage a conversion queue.

Well, the REST API must be written, too, as OOo doesn't work that way
yet. Let's keep this remote server idea for later.

On Jun 4, 2008, at 8:33 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> Vincent Massol wrote:
>> On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:30 PM, Ludovic Dubost wrote:
>>
>>> I agree,
>>>
>>> First you need to package your code as an XWiki plugin that can be
>>> called.
>>> This plugin should have as many conversion possibilities.
>>>
>>> doc or office -> xhtml
>>> xls -> xhtml
>>> doc -> openoffice
>>> openoffice ->doc
>>> doc -> pdf
>>> html -> pdf
>>> etc..
>>
>> hmm not sure. We only need xhtml I think since it's then the role of
>> the XWiki HTML Parser to generate an internal DOM. Once we have that
>> DOM we benefit from all the renderers (PDF, XHTML, RTF, Latex, etc).
>>

> I second Vincent, for the moment the priority is to have wiki
> documents.
> But then I agree with Ludovic, that it would be better to convert
> attachments to different formats using the OOo codebase. The pdf
> export
> done now affects only wiki documents, not attachments, and going
> through
> a long chain of conversions (.doc -> wiki -> xhtml -> xsl-fo -> pdf)
> will only introduce possible problems at each conversion, while a
> direct
> conversion doc -> pdf using the (better) OOo code is simpler and
> easier.
> We can (and should) keep the current PDF export mechanism for wiki
> documents, though.

I think we should make the PDF export a secondary priority and get the
rest working for now. Let's revisit it when all the rest is working
fine.

>>> Concerning xls I think we should look into having an import that
>>> does
>>> not go through html
>>> We might want to write xls to wiki table
>>>

> +1 to this one, too. I think that direct data manipulation through OOo
> is better than reverse-engineering html, and not just for
> spreadsheets,
> but other types of documents.
> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

kaaloo
Hi everyone,

Sorry to pop in, but I imagine you are aware of Mirko's JODConverter and
JODReports:

http://www.artofsolving.com/

If not I thought it might be useful in the context of your discussion.  His
code is used by Nuxeo, Alfresco, and others and is very simple to use.
JODCOnverter plugs into OO running in server mode.

Good luck,
Luis

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2008, at 8:33 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
>
> > Vincent Massol wrote:

> >> hmm not sure. We only need xhtml I think since it's then the role of
> >> the XWiki HTML Parser to generate an internal DOM. Once we have that
> >> DOM we benefit from all the renderers (PDF, XHTML, RTF, Latex, etc).
> >>

> > I second Vincent, for the moment the priority is to have wiki
> > documents.
> > But then I agree with Ludovic, that it would be better to convert
> > attachments to different formats using the OOo codebase. The pdf
> > export
> > done now affects only wiki documents, not attachments, and going
> > through
> > a long chain of conversions (.doc -> wiki -> xhtml -> xsl-fo -> pdf)
> > will only introduce possible problems at each conversion, while a
> > direct
> > conversion doc -> pdf using the (better) OOo code is simpler and
> > easier.
> > We can (and should) keep the current PDF export mechanism for wiki
> > documents, though.
>
> I think we should make the PDF export a secondary priority and get the
> rest working for now. Let's revisit it when all the rest is working
> fine.

> > +1 to this one, too. I think that direct data manipulation through OOo
> > is better than reverse-engineering html, and not just for
> > spreadsheets,
> > but other types of documents.
> > --
> > Sergiu Dumitriu
> > http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Luis Arias
+33 6 14 20 87 93
skype : kaaloo

On Jun 4, 2008, at 9:03 PM, Luis Arias wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Sorry to pop in, but I imagine you are aware of Mirko's JODConverter
> and
> JODReports:
>
> http://www.artofsolving.com/
>
> If not I thought it might be useful in the context of your
> discussion.  His
> code is used by Nuxeo, Alfresco, and others and is very simple to use.
> JODCOnverter plugs into OO running in server mode.

Excellent! Thanks a lot Luis :)

-Vincent

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>>> I second Vincent, for the moment the priority is to have wiki
>>> documents.
>>> But then I agree with Ludovic, that it would be better to convert
>>> attachments to different formats using the OOo codebase. The pdf
>>> export
>>> done now affects only wiki documents, not attachments, and going
>>> through
>>> a long chain of conversions (.doc -> wiki -> xhtml -> xsl-fo -> pdf)
>>> will only introduce possible problems at each conversion, while a
>>> direct
>>> conversion doc -> pdf using the (better) OOo code is simpler and
>>> easier.
>>> We can (and should) keep the current PDF export mechanism for wiki
>>> documents, though.
>>
>> I think we should make the PDF export a secondary priority and get
>> the
>> rest working for now. Let's revisit it when all the rest is working
>> fine.

>>> +1 to this one, too. I think that direct data manipulation through
>>> OOo
>>> is better than reverse-engineering html, and not just for
>>> spreadsheets,
>>> but other types of documents.

Re: [GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

Florin Ciubotaru-4
Hi Wang,
My opinion is that you should stick with the html
export for now.
Before going deeper into the OO api, you should study
a little bit the XWiki architecture.
If you want to test your html export simply copy the
html into the wiki editor of a newly created page.
Be aware that both OO and MS Office "save as html" api
create a messy code. To solve that problem you could
use the "tidy api" or use tidy command line to
optimize a little bit the html code.
Why do I recommend html instead of pdf or another
format? First, because is easyer to integrate with
XWiki. Second, If you look inside the html exported by
MS Word, for example, you would see some tags hidden
in html comments. These could be very important for
our scope: Bigging collaboration to the next level(not
only text, but: charts, tabular calculus, diagrams,
even engineering<MS Visio>)
So, those extra tags describe the fonts and other
embeded elemets in the document. This elements are
converted by default in gif images stored in the
document's associated folder.It is best to have them
as attached files in xwiki. When importing, you should
parse the html and replace the "src" attribute with
the url of the attachments. On the long shot, if you
go further and create a "retrieve page feature", that
will be spectacular, because we can enable that
collaboration I was talking about.
Also for the long term, we should keep an eye on
upcoming Open XML renderers(embeded elements remain in
the XML and that should be an advantage).
It will be nice to have an OO plug-in for exporting,
and retrieving the pages. I can suply the MS Office
add-ins. I devopped some colaborative solutions in the
past, using .NET and MS Office, and things can become
pretty enteresting.
So I think the "import document to XWiki" should be
completed by a "export to xwiki" feature present in
the rich client appications.
There is a market for this hibid solutions.Take a look
at MS Sharepoint, Exchange Server, Live writer,
NewsGathor+Feed Daemon etc.
I can provide some use cases for XWiki(especialy
Workspaces). WDYT?
I also atthached a print screen of a automated "save
as html" add-in for MS Office.

XWikiWordAdd-in.jpg (156K) Download Attachment

Re: [GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

Ludovic Dubost-2

Thanks Luis,

This is indeed exactly what we need.. a web service and a java API at
the same time
Wang you should use this.. expose it as an XWiki plugin with a
configuration option to run embed or connect to an existing web service.

My idea is that we ship XWiki configured by default to talk to a server
that we would host on our platform.

Ludovic

On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:21 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi Wang,
>
> On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:04 PM, Wang Ning wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have built a  standalone plugin to convert MS Doc, MS excel to
>> html.
>
> cool :)
>
>> This
>> plugin can run as a jar through command line or as a web
>> application through
>> url.
>
> What do you mean by plugin? Do you mean xwiki plugin (probably not)?
>
> You need to find out and propose how to integrate the import feature
> into xwiki both in term of UI and in term of code. The best right
> now is probably to add a button in the tiny MCE editor.
>
>> Next, how to convert the html to xwiki syntax document? use xslt?
>> Do the new
>> rendering code have any influence?
>
> I think we can do it in 2 steps:
> Step 1: get clean HTML. Since XWiki is able to display HTML it
> should work fine. This also means that the imported doc will be
> edited through the WYSIWYG editor (tinyMCE)
> Step 2: convert the HTML into wiki syntax wherever possible. This is
> indeed a job for the new rendering module and you'll need to write
> an HTML Parser (i.e. implementing the org.xwiki.rendernig.Parser
> interface). You should have a look at the 2 existing parsers:
> WikiModelXWikiParser and DoxiaConfluenceParser. In this case though
> you should use an XML parser to parse the XHTML instead of wiki
> model or doxia. Thus it's important that in step 1 you get clean
> XHTML (probably run JTidy on it).

Just found that some wikimodel guy is working on converting xhtml to
wiki syntax:
http://code.google.com/p/wikimodel/issues/detail?id=5

Might be worth talking to him to see how he's progressed since we
might want to use his work and possibly even help him.

>> Now I can't handle the clipboard format. I think clipboard is at
>> the second
>> priority.
>>
>> My another question: how to add my code to xwiki code sandbox?  Do
>> I need to
>> build ,test and distrubut my plugin by maven way? If yes, please
>> tell how.
>
> You need to follow all the coding conventions and best practices
> described at dev.xwiki.org
> You need to provide a maven build yes. Plenty of examples in the
> xwiki source tree.
> The best is maybe that you package your code as a xwiki plugin for
> now. check xwiki-platform-plugins for examples of plugin and how
> they are packaged/built.

Re: [GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

kaaloo
Cool !  I'm glad I could be of help !  Mirko will be happy to know you are
working with his code.  Putting him on copy.

Luis

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Luis,
>
> This is indeed exactly what we need.. a web service and a java API at
> the same time
> Wang you should use this.. expose it as an XWiki plugin with a
> configuration option to run embed or connect to an existing web service.
>
> My idea is that we ship XWiki configured by default to talk to a server
> that we would host on our platform.
>
> Ludovic
>
> Luis Arias wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Sorry to pop in, but I imagine you are aware of Mirko's JODConverter and
> > JODReports:
> >
> > http://www.artofsolving.com/
> >
> > If not I thought it might be useful in the context of your discussion.
>  His
> > code is used by Nuxeo, Alfresco, and others and is very simple to use.
> > JODCOnverter plugs into OO running in server mode.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Luis
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> >> I think we should make the PDF export a secondary priority and get the
> >> rest working for now. Let's revisit it when all the rest is working
> >> fine.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

> Ludovic Dubost
> Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Luis Arias
+33 6 14 20 87 93
skype : kaaloo

Re: [GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

Mirko Nasato-2
Hi all,

I'd certainly be happy to add XWiki to the list of other open source
projects that use JODConverter and provide suggestions if needed.

I see you mention xhtml... well the OOo xhtml filter is quite limited
currently.  For one it doesn't export embedded images[1].  But it's going to
see big improvements with OOo 3.0.

You may also be interested to know that there's a new major version of
JODConverter[2] in development.

Cheers

Mirko

--
[1] http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=22012
[2] http://jodconverter.wiki.sourceforge.net/v3.0

2008/6/5 Luis Arias <[hidden email]>:

> Cool !  I'm glad I could be of help !  Mirko will be happy to know you are
> working with his code.  Putting him on copy.
>
> Luis
>
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Thanks Luis,
>>
>> This is indeed exactly what we need.. a web service and a java API at
>> the same time
>> Wang you should use this.. expose it as an XWiki plugin with a
>> configuration option to run embed or connect to an existing web service.
>>
>> My idea is that we ship XWiki configured by default to talk to a server
>> that we would host on our platform.
>>
>> Ludovic
>>
>> Luis Arias wrote:
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > Sorry to pop in, but I imagine you are aware of Mirko's JODConverter and
>> > JODReports:
>> >
>> > http://www.artofsolving.com/
>> >
>> > If not I thought it might be useful in the context of your discussion.
>>  His
>> > code is used by Nuxeo, Alfresco, and others and is very simple to use.
>> > JODCOnverter plugs into OO running in server mode.
>> >
>> > Good luck,
>> > Luis

>> Ludovic Dubost
>> Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
>> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
>> Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

> Luis Arias
> +33 6 14 20 87 93
> skype : kaaloo

Re: [GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

Thanks a lot Mirko and well done for this very nice framework!
We're going to use it during this summer and we'll subscribe to the
jod converter mailing list/forum if we have questions.

Thanks again
-Vincent

On Jun 6, 2008, at 12:34 AM, Mirko Nasato wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd certainly be happy to add XWiki to the list of other open source
> projects that use JODConverter and provide suggestions if needed.
>
> I see you mention xhtml... well the OOo xhtml filter is quite limited
> currently.  For one it doesn't export embedded images[1].  But it's
> going to
> see big improvements with OOo 3.0.
>
> You may also be interested to know that there's a new major version of
> JODConverter[2] in development.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mirko
>
> --
> [1] http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=22012
> [2] http://jodconverter.wiki.sourceforge.net/v3.0
>

> 2008/6/5 Luis Arias <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Cool !  I'm glad I could be of help !  Mirko will be happy to know
>> you are
>> working with his code.  Putting him on copy.
>>
>> Luis
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks Luis,
>>>
>>> This is indeed exactly what we need.. a web service and a java API
>>> at
>>> the same time
>>> Wang you should use this.. expose it as an XWiki plugin with a
>>> configuration option to run embed or connect to an existing web
>>> service.
>>>
>>> My idea is that we ship XWiki configured by default to talk to a
>>> server
>>> that we would host on our platform.
>>>
>>> Ludovic

>>> His

Re: [GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

Ludovic Dubost-2

Hi Mirko,

Great to see you on the XWiki list.

I have a few questions about JODConverter..

- I see you already have a web service. How about a nice REST api for
that web service, including username/password ?
- Are you handling a conversion queue ?
- How do you handle OO not coming back from the conversion or crashing ?
- Do you have caching of your conversions ?

Ludovic

Mirko Nasato wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd certainly be happy to add XWiki to the list of other open source
> projects that use JODConverter and provide suggestions if needed.
>
> I see you mention xhtml... well the OOo xhtml filter is quite limited
> currently.  For one it doesn't export embedded images[1].  But it's going to
> see big improvements with OOo 3.0.
>
> You may also be interested to know that there's a new major version of
> JODConverter[2] in development.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mirko
>
> --
> [1] http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=22012
> [2] http://jodconverter.wiki.sourceforge.net/v3.0
>

> 2008/6/5 Luis Arias <[hidden email]>:
>

>> Cool !  I'm glad I could be of help !  Mirko will be happy to know you are
>> working with his code.  Putting him on copy.
>>
>> Luis
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks Luis,
>>>
>>> This is indeed exactly what we need.. a web service and a java API at
>>> the same time
>>> Wang you should use this.. expose it as an XWiki plugin with a
>>> configuration option to run embed or connect to an existing web service.
>>>
>>> My idea is that we ship XWiki configured by default to talk to a server
>>> that we would host on our platform.
>>>
>>> Ludovic

>>>  His

>>> --
>>> Ludovic Dubost
>>> Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
>>> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
>>> Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

>> Luis Arias
>> +33 6 14 20 87 93
>> skype : kaaloo

Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Re: [GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

Paul Libbrecht
dare I candidly ask how math is processed?

thanks in advance

paul

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

On Jun 6, 2008, at 10:22 AM, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> dare I candidly ask how math is processed?

Is that related to Office/OO import/Export?
Do you mean if you put math inside Word documents?

If you're talking about math support in general then that's not for
this thread... :) I also remember we discussed that several times
already too. Maybe you could start a new thread and explain what's
your need?

> Le 06-juin-08 à 00:34, Mirko Nasato a écrit :
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd certainly be happy to add XWiki to the list of other open source
>> projects that use JODConverter and provide suggestions if needed.
>>
>> I see you mention xhtml... well the OOo xhtml filter is quite limited
>> currently.  For one it doesn't export embedded images[1].  But it's
>> going to
>> see big improvements with OOo 3.0.
>>
>> You may also be interested to know that there's a new major version
>> of
>> JODConverter[2] in development.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mirko
>>
>> --
>> [1] http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=22012
>> [2] http://jodconverter.wiki.sourceforge.net/v3.0
>>

>> 2008/6/5 Luis Arias <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Cool !  I'm glad I could be of help !  Mirko will be happy to know
>>> you are
>>> working with his code.  Putting him on copy.
>>>
>>> Luis

Re: [GSOC]how to convert html to xwiki syntax

Mirko Nasato-2
Hi Ludovic,

2008/6/6 Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>:

> I have a few questions about JODConverter..
>
> - I see you already have a web service. How about a nice REST api for
> that web service, including username/password ?

The web service 'protocol' used by JODConverter 2.2 is documented at
http://www.artofsolving.com/node/15

It's like that because it seemed the simplest solution for the purpose of
sending a document and getting back a converted one.

I guess proper REST would involve (doing a PUT rather than a POST and)
storing the file somewhere and give it a URI so it can be retrieved at any
later point.  It's something I consider beyond the scope of the converter
service, something more appropriate for a full document management system.
But of course I'm open to suggestions.

Same thing for authentication, I don't think it's the responsibility of the
converter service to provide it, people can add it on top of JODConverter by
configuring HTTP basic auth in their front-end Apache server, or adding a
<security-constraint> in web.xml, or Spring Security, etc.

- Are you handling a conversion queue ?

JODConverter 2.2 uses standard Java synchronisation to serialise access to
OOo, because OOo multi-threading is unreliable, so only one conversion is
performed at a time.

JODConverter 3.0 uses Java 5 concurrency to provide more flexibility, e.g.
specifying lock timeouts, and also let you run multiple OOo processes to
increase scalability.

- How do you handle OO not coming back from the conversion or crashing ?

JODConverter 2.2 doesn't deal with that case at all, the service will just
become unavailable until you manually restart OOo.

That's the strong case for JODConverter 3.0 -
http://jodconverter.wiki.sourceforge.net/v3.0

> - Do you have caching of your conversions ?

Nope.  As mentioned my philosophy is that the converter should only concern
itself with doing conversions.

But again I'm open to discussion.

Cheers

Mirko