GSOC proposals-Export To Word / PDF through OpenOffice [BrainStroming]

GSOC proposals-Export To Word / PDF through OpenOffice [BrainStroming]

shelan Perera
Hi devs,

I am Shelan Perera 3rd Year university Student of University of Moratuwa Sri
Lanka who is currently an intern in Open Source Web Services Solutions
developing company( WSO2).I am interested in participating in Google Summer
of code this year and conducted a research on Xwiki and specially on Xwiki
Office Importer.

I am glad to see a project using Open Office Server (which is currently
managed inside the Office Importer module) to export to word and pdf.

When i used the Office Importer i realised that it is really necessay to
have Open Office Process as a Separate Utility module which is consumed by
Open Office Importer and Open Office Exporter.Since the current
implementation is okay since there is only importer module.

I am not clear about the suggested way of implementation(whether it is a
nested module in the office importer or a separate module).Could you please
elaborate more on that.

Regards,

Shelan Perera.

Re: GSOC proposals-Export To Word / PDF through OpenOffice [BrainStroming]

Florin Ciubotaru
Hi,

Thanks for your interest in XWiki and GSoC.

On 2/18/2010 6:24 PM, shelan Perera wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I am Shelan Perera 3rd Year university Student of University of Moratuwa Sri
> Lanka who is currently an intern in Open Source Web Services Solutions
> developing company( WSO2).I am interested in participating in Google Summer
> of code this year and conducted a research on Xwiki and specially on Xwiki
> Office Importer.
>
> I am glad to see a project using Open Office Server (which is currently
> managed inside the Office Importer module) to export to word and pdf.
>
> When i used the Office Importer i realised that it is really necessay to
> have Open Office Process as a Separate Utility module which is consumed by
> Open Office Importer and Open Office Exporter.Since the current
> implementation is okay since there is only importer module.

I hope that this potential architectural change is not actually
observable by simple usage of the importer ;) Yes this is something that
probably needs to be done if we want to use OOo for export and preview too.
> I am not clear about the suggested way of implementation(whether it is a
> nested module in the office importer or a separate module).Could you please
> elaborate more on that.

This is something you need to decide in tight collaboration with Asiri
and the rest of the community. It is best that you create a design page
for your proposal(to be determined where) and regularly come back to the
mailing list for opinions.
To see how the module evolves you should also follow Asiri's work on the
office preview feature during the 2.3 dev cycle.

Florin Ciubotaru
> Regards,
>
> Shelan Perera.

Re: GSOC proposals-Export To Word / PDF through OpenOffice [BrainStroming]

shelan Perera
Thank you for the reply.

The main problem i had was Open Office manger is started by the Office
Importer module.So when  server starts the manged process is fed to the
converter.

DefaultOpenOfficeManger :: initialize() {

 this.officeManager = externalProcessOfficeManager;

this.documentConverter = new OfficeDocumentConverter(officeManager);

}

So for a exporter (or some modeule who needs convertion) it has to have it's
own manged process of Open Office Server which is i am sure not suitable.

Thanks for giving the necessary guidance of the project plan.

Regards,

Shelan

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Florin Ciubotaru <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your interest in XWiki and GSoC.
>
> On 2/18/2010 6:24 PM, shelan Perera wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I am Shelan Perera 3rd Year university Student of University of Moratuwa
> Sri
> > Lanka who is currently an intern in Open Source Web Services Solutions
> > developing company( WSO2).I am interested in participating in Google
> Summer
> > of code this year and conducted a research on Xwiki and specially on
> Xwiki
> > Office Importer.
> >
> > I am glad to see a project using Open Office Server (which is currently
> > managed inside the Office Importer module) to export to word and pdf.
> >
> > When i used the Office Importer i realised that it is really necessay to
> > have Open Office Process as a Separate Utility module which is consumed
> by
> > Open Office Importer and Open Office Exporter.Since the current
> > implementation is okay since there is only importer module.
> >
> I hope that this potential architectural change is not actually
> observable by simple usage of the importer ;) Yes this is something that
> probably needs to be done if we want to use OOo for export and preview too.
> > I am not clear about the suggested way of implementation(whether it is a
> > nested module in the office importer or a separate module).Could you
> please
> > elaborate more on that.
> >
> This is something you need to decide in tight collaboration with Asiri
> and the rest of the community. It is best that you create a design page
> for your proposal(to be determined where) and regularly come back to the
> mailing list for opinions.
> To see how the module evolves you should also follow Asiri's work on the
> office preview feature during the 2.3 dev cycle.
>
> Florin Ciubotaru
> > Regards,
> >
> > Shelan Perera.

Re: GSOC proposals-Export To Word / PDF through OpenOffice [BrainStroming]

Asiri Rathnayake
Hi Shelan,

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 4:53 PM, shelan Perera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the reply.
>
> The main problem i had was Open Office manger is started by the Office
> Importer module.So when  server starts the manged process is fed to the
> converter.
>
> DefaultOpenOfficeManger :: initialize() {
>
>  this.officeManager = externalProcessOfficeManager;
>
> this.documentConverter = new OfficeDocumentConverter(officeManager);
>
> }
>

> So for a exporter (or some modeule who needs convertion) it has to have
> it's
> own manged process of Open Office Server which is i am sure not suitable.
>

> Thanks for giving the necessary guidance of the project plan.

Please check the latest source. I think now you would do something like:

@Requirement
private OpenOfficeManager manager;

//...

foo()
{
  if (manager.getStatus() == OpenOfficeStatus.STARTED) {
    OpenOfficeConverter converter = manger.getConverter();
    converter.convert(input, output);
    // Do something with output.
  } else {
    // report error.
  }
}

So you do not need to worry about any opneoffice server management. In fact,
openoffice server management is not upto the code, it should be done by an
admin user. You should only check whether openoffice server is running or
not (by OpenOfficeManger.getState()) and take action as needed.

Thanks.

- Asiri

Regards,