[GSoC] Community Bonding Period ending on 14th of May. PRs needed!

[GSoC] Community Bonding Period ending on 14th of May. PRs needed!

Eduard Moraru
Hello, GSoC students,

As you all know, we are in the middle of the "Community Bonding" period of
the GSoC 2018 program's timeline [1].

This is a very important period in which you are supposed to get familiar
with the XWiki project, read documentation (APIs, processes, development
practices, etc.), setup tooling and development environments, figure out
the way the project is organized and what is the best approach for you to
make an impact. At the end of this period, you should be ready and
productive to start working on your cool project. (Nobody will complain if
you have already started ;) ).

Even more so, the community bonding period is about getting to know the
community and helping the community to know you. So, if you have not yet
introduced yourself or did not get the chance to exchange some initial
thoughts with your mentor(s), now is the time to do it. You need to
remember that GSoC is not a bounty program, but a community building one,
so the main objective is not simply to deliver, at a certain deadline, a
feature, but to be integrated in the open source community you have joined
and help it grow (through your contributions).

As such, on the technical side, your objective for this period is to get at
least 1 of your Pull Requests (average size/complexity, must contain a few
lines of code) to get reviewed and accepted either in the main repositories
(platform/commons/rendering) or in one of the existing Contrib extensions.
The PR needs to be associated to an existing Jira issue (bug/improvement).

Make sure you read and follow the Student Guidelines, specifically the
section dedicated to accepted students [2].

Reminder1: The deadline is the 14th of May.

Reminder2: The community bonding period is also an eliminatory period.
Students that choose to stay silent may be considered for elimination from
the program.

Thanks,
Eduard

----------
[1] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
[2]
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/Guidelines#HSuggestedwayofworkingforacceptedGSoCstudents

Re: [GSoC] Community Bonding Period ending on 14th of May. PRs needed!

Eduard Moraru
Hi again,

An very important detail that I forgot to remind you (it's mentioned in the
Student Guidelines as well) is that you need to be registered to the
[hidden email] mailing list [1] in order to be able to post messages to it.

If you sent the email without being registered, you messages will not reach
the list and we will not be able to see them.

Thanks,
Eduard