[GSoC] Extension Repository Connector - NPM released!

[GSoC] Extension Repository Connector - NPM released!

Krzysiek Płachno
Hello XWiki team!

I just write to brag a bit about *Extension Repository Connector - NPM*
that I created in 3rd phase of GSoC ;)
You can read about it here:
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Extension%20Repository%20Connector%20-%20NPM/
and
test it if you wish (there's an example to follow).

As before - any feedback highly appreciated :)

Have a nice day!
Best,
Krzysztof

Re: [GSoC] Extension Repository Connector - NPM released!

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Hi Krzysztof,

Great work.
The description looks a bit strange for the npmtest-mathjs and
npmdoc-mathjs. Do we really need those 'module'? Can we make a convention
and not display in EM the test and doc modules?

Also what is the difference between mathjs-3.16.2 and MathJS-1.0.0. Also
the description is empty for MathJS.

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Krzysiek Płachno <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hello XWiki team!
>
> I just write to brag a bit about *Extension Repository Connector - NPM*
> that I created in 3rd phase of GSoC ;)
> You can read about it here:
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> Extension%20Repository%20Connector%20-%20NPM/
> and
> test it if you wish (there's an example to follow).
>
> As before - any feedback highly appreciated :)
>
> Have a nice day!
> Best,
> Krzysztof

Re: [GSoC] Extension Repository Connector - NPM released!

Indeed npmtest-mathjs and npmdoc-mathjs don't looks like the kind of
extension you would install.

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Krzysztof,
>
> Great work.
> The description looks a bit strange for the npmtest-mathjs and
> npmdoc-mathjs. Do we really need those 'module'? Can we make a convention
> and not display in EM the test and doc modules?
>
> Also what is the difference between mathjs-3.16.2 and MathJS-1.0.0. Also
> the description is empty for MathJS.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Krzysiek Płachno <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> Hello XWiki team!
>>
>> I just write to brag a bit about *Extension Repository Connector - NPM*
>> that I created in 3rd phase of GSoC ;)
>> You can read about it here:
>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
>> Extension%20Repository%20Connector%20-%20NPM/
>> and
>> test it if you wish (there's an example to follow).
>>
>> As before - any feedback highly appreciated :)
>>
>> Have a nice day!
>> Best,
>> Krzysztof

Re: [GSoC] Extension Repository Connector - NPM released!

Krzysiek Płachno
So to clarify a bit:
1. In simple search I'm using npm public api for searching, namely:
"
http://registry.npmjs.org/-/v1/search?text={search_query}&size={size}&from={from}".

In the case of searching 'mathjs' the request path is following:
http://registry.npmjs.org/-/v1/search?text=mathjs&size=20&from=0
(click on this link and you may check the response)

2. 'mathjs' and 'MathJS' are different packages. See:
https://registry.npmjs.org/mathjs
https://registry.npmjs.org/MathJS
Why is the description of MathJS empty?
The text displayed below the name of extension in simple search result list
is simply the field "description" from the package json returned by search
api endpoint (above). Obviously among all packages deployed on NPM Registry
there are those mature and well maintained like 'mathjs' that have proper
description and a lot of immature and poorly-maintained experimental
libraries with often strange names and description set to nothing like
MathJS.
So far the extensions imported in XWiki were taken only from
extensions.xwiki.org where XWiki community makes sure that the description
of every extension is set properly. In other public repositories there's no
such supervision. That's why it may look strange for XWiki user to see
empty description field.

3. As regards npmtest-mathjs and npmdoc-mathjs - you're right they seem to
be tests and documentation for 'mathjs' package so they rather shouldn't
appear in simple search results. I haven't noticed them before. I'll try to
work out how to filter them out.

Ecaterina, Thomas - thanks for feedback!
Krzysztof

> Hi Krzysztof,
>
> Great work.
> The description looks a bit strange for the npmtest-mathjs and
> npmdoc-mathjs. Do we really need those 'module'? Can we make a convention
> and not display in EM the test and doc modules?
>
> Also what is the difference between mathjs-3.16.2 and MathJS-1.0.0. Also
> the description is empty for MathJS.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Krzysiek Płachno <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Hello XWiki team!
> >
> > I just write to brag a bit about *Extension Repository Connector - NPM*
> > that I created in 3rd phase of GSoC ;)
> > You can read about it here:
> > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> > Extension%20Repository%20Connector%20-%20NPM/
> > and
> > test it if you wish (there's an example to follow).
> >
> > As before - any feedback highly appreciated :)
> >
> > Have a nice day!
> > Best,
> > Krzysztof

Re: [GSoC] Extension Repository Connector - NPM released!

Paul Libbrecht-2
Hey Krysiek,

this looks really really really cool!
And the mathjs example is cute.
Do you think that there would be a way to remove the version number from the require?

thank you very much for this.

Paul

> On 24 Aug 2017, at 13:18, Krzysiek Płachno <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello XWiki team!
>
> I just write to brag a bit about *Extension Repository Connector - NPM*
> that I created in 3rd phase of GSoC ;)
> You can read about it here:
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Extension%20Repository%20Connector%20-%20NPM/
> and
> test it if you wish (there's an example to follow).
>
> As before - any feedback highly appreciated :)
>
> Have a nice day!
> Best,
> Krzysztof

Re: [GSoC] Extension Repository Connector - NPM released!

Yes you don't need to indicate the version, the example use the wrong
webjar script service API. Did not noticed it (bad mentor, bad).

Le 24 août 2017 17:28, "Paul Libbrecht" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hey Krysiek,
>
> this looks really really really cool!
> And the mathjs example is cute.
> Do you think that there would be a way to remove the version number from
> the require?
>
> thank you very much for this.
>
> Paul
>
> > On 24 Aug 2017, at 13:18, Krzysiek Płachno <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello XWiki team!
> >
> > I just write to brag a bit about *Extension Repository Connector - NPM*
> > that I created in 3rd phase of GSoC ;)
> > You can read about it here:
> > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> Extension%20Repository%20Connector%20-%20NPM/
> > and
> > test it if you wish (there's an example to follow).
> >
> > As before - any feedback highly appreciated :)
> >
> > Have a nice day!
> > Best,
> > Krzysztof

Re: [GSoC] Extension Repository Connector - NPM released!

Krzysiek Płachno
Hmmm - the documentation here:
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/WebJars%20Integration
allowed both methods. But ok, I use the one without specifying version.

I'll update the documentation when I combat the issue mentioned by
Ecaterina.

Anyway - thanks again for feedback :)

Best,
Krzysztof

> Yes you don't need to indicate the version, the example use the wrong
> webjar script service API. Did not noticed it (bad mentor, bad).
>
> Le 24 août 2017 17:28, "Paul Libbrecht" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > Hey Krysiek,
> >
> > this looks really really really cool!
> > And the mathjs example is cute.
> > Do you think that there would be a way to remove the version number from
> > the require?
> >
> > thank you very much for this.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > > On 24 Aug 2017, at 13:18, Krzysiek Płachno <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello XWiki team!
> > >
> > > I just write to brag a bit about *Extension Repository Connector - NPM*
> > > that I created in 3rd phase of GSoC ;)
> > > You can read about it here:
> > > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> > Extension%20Repository%20Connector%20-%20NPM/
> > > and
> > > test it if you wish (there's an example to follow).
> > >
> > > As before - any feedback highly appreciated :)
> > >
> > > Have a nice day!
> > > Best,
> > > Krzysztof

Re: [GSoC] Extension Repository Connector - NPM released!

The issue with the one with a version is that it's very fragile, your
code work only with a very specific version of the library and
impossible to upgrade it without breaking everything or having several
extension depending on the same webjar library.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Krzysiek Płachno
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmm - the documentation here:
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/WebJars%20Integration
> allowed both methods. But ok, I use the one without specifying version.
>
> I'll update the documentation when I combat the issue mentioned by
> Ecaterina.
>
> Anyway - thanks again for feedback :)
>
> Best,
> Krzysztof

>> Yes you don't need to indicate the version, the example use the wrong
>> webjar script service API. Did not noticed it (bad mentor, bad).
>>
>> Le 24 août 2017 17:28, "Paul Libbrecht" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> > Hey Krysiek,
>> >
>> > this looks really really really cool!
>> > And the mathjs example is cute.
>> > Do you think that there would be a way to remove the version number from
>> > the require?
>> >
>> > thank you very much for this.
>> >
>> > Paul

>> > Extension%20Repository%20Connector%20-%20NPM/

Re: [GSoC] Extension Repository Connector - NPM released!

Here is the history:
* first version of the script service introduce a the method you used
* "WTF guys specifying a version here makes it totally unusable for an
extension we need a method that just take the extension id and
subpath"

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The issue with the one with a version is that it's very fragile, your
> code work only with a very specific version of the library and
> impossible to upgrade it without breaking everything or having several
> extension depending on the same webjar library.
>
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Krzysiek Płachno
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hmmm - the documentation here:
>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/WebJars%20Integration
>> allowed both methods. But ok, I use the one without specifying version.
>>
>> I'll update the documentation when I combat the issue mentioned by
>> Ecaterina.
>>
>> Anyway - thanks again for feedback :)
>>
>> Best,
>> Krzysztof

>>> Yes you don't need to indicate the version, the example use the wrong
>>> webjar script service API. Did not noticed it (bad mentor, bad).

Re: [GSoC] Extension Repository Connector - NPM released!

Krzysiek Płachno
Heh - I'm becoming more and more convinced that outside Java world version
of dependency no longer matters ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

> Here is the history:
> * first version of the script service introduce a the method you used
> * "WTF guys specifying a version here makes it totally unusable for an
> extension we need a method that just take the extension id and
> subpath"
>
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The issue with the one with a version is that it's very fragile, your
> > code work only with a very specific version of the library and
> > impossible to upgrade it without breaking everything or having several
> > extension depending on the same webjar library.
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Krzysiek Płachno
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hmmm - the documentation here:
> >> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/WebJars
> %20Integration
> >> allowed both methods. But ok, I use the one without specifying version.
> >>
> >> I'll update the documentation when I combat the issue mentioned by
> >> Ecaterina.
> >>
> >> Anyway - thanks again for feedback :)
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Krzysztof

> from

> [hidden email]>

> NPM*

> > --
> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: [GSoC] Extension Repository Connector - NPM released!

Krzysiek Płachno
@Caty: I found option in NPM registry api to filter out documentation and
test packages. So know they do not show up in XWiki EM Simple Search. New
version of extension released.

@Paul: I check - not specifying the version of JS lib in Skin Extension
scirpt works the same. Documentation updated.

http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Extension%20Repository%20Connector%20-%20NPM/

Best!
Krzysztof

> Heh - I'm becoming more and more convinced that outside Java world version
> of dependency no longer matters ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>> Here is the history:
>> * first version of the script service introduce a the method you used
>> * "WTF guys specifying a version here makes it totally unusable for an
>> extension we need a method that just take the extension id and
>> subpath"
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Thomas Mortagne
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > The issue with the one with a version is that it's very fragile, your
>> > code work only with a very specific version of the library and
>> > impossible to upgrade it without breaking everything or having several
>> > extension depending on the same webjar library.

>> %20Integration

>> >:

>> from

>> [hidden email]>

>> - NPM*

>> > --
>> > Thomas Mortagne
>>

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [GSoC] Extension Repository Connector - NPM released!

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Krzysiek Płachno <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> @Caty: I found option in NPM registry api to filter out documentation and
> test packages. So know they do not show up in XWiki EM Simple Search. New
> version of extension released.
>
> @Paul: I check - not specifying the version of JS lib in Skin Extension
> scirpt works the same. Documentation updated.
>
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> Extension%20Repository%20Connector%20-%20NPM/

Great! Thank you for your work :)
Caty