Quantcast

[GSoC] More extension repositories

Krzysiek Płachno
Hi,

I'm about to prepare a plan and timeline with milestones for the task "More
extension repositories ". The page with design details (
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/ExtensionManagerRepositories)
gives 10 examples of repositories to set an integration with, whilst the
description of task on XWiki GSoC information sub page refers only to 3:
Nexus , Bintray , Pypi (
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/Moreextensionrepositories2017)
.

So the task for GSoC work includes integration with all those 10, or just
those 3? I need to know it to plan well the milestones.

Best,
Krzysztof

Re: [GSoC] More extension repositories

Those lists are just ideas.

The number of repositories to put in your proposal is what you feel
you can do during the GSOC. Some repositories being more complex than
others (for example Pypi implying supporting registering Python
packages) but are also more interesting ;)

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Krzysiek Płachno

> I'm about to prepare a plan and timeline with milestones for the task "More
> extension repositories ". The page with design details (
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/ExtensionManagerRepositories)
> gives 10 examples of repositories to set an integration with, whilst the
> description of task on XWiki GSoC information sub page refers only to 3:
> Nexus , Bintray , Pypi (
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/Moreextensionrepositories2017)
> .
>
> So the task for GSoC work includes integration with all those 10, or just
> those 3? I need to know it to plan well the milestones.
>
> Best,
> Krzysztof

Re: [GSoC] More extension repositories

Note that some of the ideas on
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/ExtensionManagerRepositories
are quite wild, supporting a Debian repository for example is probably
totally useless in practice.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Those lists are just ideas.
>
> The number of repositories to put in your proposal is what you feel
> you can do during the GSOC. Some repositories being more complex than
> others (for example Pypi implying supporting registering Python
> packages) but are also more interesting ;)
>
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Krzysiek Płachno
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm about to prepare a plan and timeline with milestones for the task "More
>> extension repositories ". The page with design details (
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/ExtensionManagerRepositories)
>> gives 10 examples of repositories to set an integration with, whilst the
>> description of task on XWiki GSoC information sub page refers only to 3:
>> Nexus , Bintray , Pypi (
>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/Moreextensionrepositories2017)
>> .
>>
>> So the task for GSoC work includes integration with all those 10, or just
>> those 3? I need to know it to plan well the milestones.
>>
>> Best,
>> Krzysztof

Re: [GSoC] More extension repositories

Also it's possible you have other ideas of repositories from other worlds.

I just added NPM to the list which is interesting too (that would
probably means automatically package npm packages as webjars or
something like this).

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note that some of the ideas on
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/ExtensionManagerRepositories
> are quite wild, supporting a Debian repository for example is probably
> totally useless in practice.
>
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Those lists are just ideas.
>>
>> The number of repositories to put in your proposal is what you feel
>> you can do during the GSOC. Some repositories being more complex than
>> others (for example Pypi implying supporting registering Python
>> packages) but are also more interesting ;)
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Krzysiek Płachno
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm about to prepare a plan and timeline with milestones for the task "More
>>> extension repositories ". The page with design details (
>>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/ExtensionManagerRepositories)
>>> gives 10 examples of repositories to set an integration with, whilst the
>>> description of task on XWiki GSoC information sub page refers only to 3:
>>> Nexus , Bintray , Pypi (
>>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/Moreextensionrepositories2017)
>>> .
>>>
>>> So the task for GSoC work includes integration with all those 10, or just
>>> those 3? I need to know it to plan well the milestones.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Krzysztof
>>

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [GSoC] More extension repositories

Krzysiek Płachno
I've went through the repositories suggestions and I think the most
interesting ones (at least for me) are: Nexus, Pypi and Ivy. (The next in
the row would we Artifactory).
Since it's always better to do less but completely and well, I would go for
these three in my proposal, especially taking into consideration that
integrating Pypi will require some Python-Java integration.
Is it ok?

Best,
Krzysztof

> Also it's possible you have other ideas of repositories from other worlds.
>
> I just added NPM to the list which is interesting too (that would
> probably means automatically package npm packages as webjars or
> something like this).
>
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Note that some of the ideas on
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/
> ExtensionManagerRepositories
> > are quite wild, supporting a Debian repository for example is probably
> > totally useless in practice.
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Those lists are just ideas.
> >>
> >> The number of repositories to put in your proposal is what you feel
> >> you can do during the GSOC. Some repositories being more complex than
> >> others (for example Pypi implying supporting registering Python
> >> packages) but are also more interesting ;)

> "More
> ExtensionManagerRepositories)
> the
> 3:
> Moreextensionrepositories2017)

> just

> >> --
> >> Thomas Mortagne
> >

> > --
> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: [GSoC] More extension repositories

Paul Libbrecht-2
Krszysiek,

considering fashion, I think it would be a good idea to not avoid NPM.

paul

> On 01 Apr 2017, at 10:40, Krzysiek Płachno <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've went through the repositories suggestions and I think the most
> interesting ones (at least for me) are: Nexus, Pypi and Ivy. (The next in
> the row would we Artifactory).
> Since it's always better to do less but completely and well, I would go for
> these three in my proposal, especially taking into consideration that
> integrating Pypi will require some Python-Java integration.
> Is it ok?
>
> Best,
> Krzysztof

>> Also it's possible you have other ideas of repositories from other worlds.
>>
>> I just added NPM to the list which is interesting too (that would
>> probably means automatically package npm packages as webjars or
>> something like this).
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Thomas Mortagne
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Note that some of the ideas on
>>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/
>> ExtensionManagerRepositories
>>> are quite wild, supporting a Debian repository for example is probably
>>> totally useless in practice.

>> "More
>> ExtensionManagerRepositories)
>> the
>> 3:
>> Moreextensionrepositories2017)

>> just

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne
>>

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [GSoC] More extension repositories

Since Bintray is starting to be quite a reference I would suggest to
do Bintray/Artifactory instead of Ivy (I don't actually know any
public Ivy repository). It might actually be even more interesting
than Nexus (Bintray includes Maven central plus many other stuff
AFAIK).

As Paul said NPM is quite interesting too since it provide extensions
from another world like Pypi (it's already possible to install
extensions from Bintrain/Artifactory/Nexus, just not possible to
search). But it's more work.

Ultimately it's your proposal and it's important to be confident with
the things you plan to do.

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Krzysiek Płachno
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've went through the repositories suggestions and I think the most
> interesting ones (at least for me) are: Nexus, Pypi and Ivy. (The next in
> the row would we Artifactory).
> Since it's always better to do less but completely and well, I would go for
> these three in my proposal, especially taking into consideration that
> integrating Pypi will require some Python-Java integration.
> Is it ok?
>
> Best,
> Krzysztof

>> Also it's possible you have other ideas of repositories from other worlds.
>>
>> I just added NPM to the list which is interesting too (that would
>> probably means automatically package npm packages as webjars or
>> something like this).
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Thomas Mortagne
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Note that some of the ideas on
>> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/
>> ExtensionManagerRepositories
>> > are quite wild, supporting a Debian repository for example is probably
>> > totally useless in practice.

>> "More
>> ExtensionManagerRepositories)
>> the
>> 3:
>> Moreextensionrepositories2017)

>> just

>> > --
>> > Thomas Mortagne
>>

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [GSoC] More extension repositories

Krzysiek Płachno
Ok, I will then give up Ivy and Nexus in favour of Bintray and NPM.
It's going to be a quite a bit more work with packing packages from NPM as
webjars, but the confirmation form you that it would be useful gives more
motivation ;)

(I will update my proposal draft before evening today).

Paul, Thomas, thanks for response!
Krzysiek