[GSoC] XWiki has been selected as a Google Summer of Code 2018 mentor organization!

[GSoC] XWiki has been selected as a Google Summer of Code 2018 mentor organization!

Eduard Moraru
Hi devs,

As most of you already know, XWiki has been accepted to Google Summer of
Code 2018!

We currently have 12 project proposals and 8 mentors [1].

There is 1 month left [2] before the student application period begins, so
if others want to sign up as mentors and/or propose new GSoC projects for
the students, please do so on the ideas list [1].

During this period, students are supposed to ask questions about the
proposed projects so please don`t hesitate to welcome and help them out!

Another thing you can help with is to increase the list of "Trivial" issues
that we know about on jira.xwiki.org. You can to set the "Difficulty" field
of a jira issues to "Trivial" if you know for a fact that it would be
something easy for someone new to XWiki to fix. We`re currently using a
JIRA filter [3] to gather all these "Trivial" issues and listing them on
the guidelines [4] page to help students discover them more easily.

Thanks,
Eduard

----------

[1] http://gsoc.xwiki.org
[2] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
[3] https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?filter=10534
[4]
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/Guidelines#HIncreasingyourchancesofbeingacceptedasastudent

Re: [GSoC] XWiki has been selected as a Google Summer of Code 2018 mentor organization!

Hi Edy,

> On 12 Feb 2018, at 18:55, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> As most of you already know, XWiki has been accepted to Google Summer of
> Code 2018!

yeeeppeeee! :)

> We currently have 12 project proposals and 8 mentors [1].
>
> There is 1 month left [2] before the student application period begins, so
> if others want to sign up as mentors and/or propose new GSoC projects for
> the students, please do so on the ideas list [1].
>
> During this period, students are supposed to ask questions about the
> proposed projects so please don`t hesitate to welcome and help them out!
>
> Another thing you can help with is to increase the list of "Trivial" issues
> that we know about on jira.xwiki.org. You can to set the "Difficulty" field
> of a jira issues to "Trivial" if you know for a fact that it would be
> something easy for someone new to XWiki to fix. We`re currently using a
> JIRA filter [3] to gather all these "Trivial" issues and listing them on
> the guidelines [4] page to help students discover them more easily.

Shouldn’t we change this now that we have the new onboarding process?

We might need to update gsoc.xwiki.org to reflect the new onboarding + the new jira issues (labelled onboarding).

Re: [GSoC] XWiki has been selected as a Google Summer of Code 2018 mentor organization!

Eduard Moraru
Right. So let me rephrase that last part (guidelines page updated as well):

"
Another thing you can help with is to increase the list of "Onboarding"
issues that we know about on jira.xwiki.org. You can use the label
"Onboarding" and apply it to jira issues which you know for a fact that
they would be easy to fix by someone new to XWiki. We`ve currently labeled
quite a few issues with the "Onboarding" JIRA label [3] and are listing
them on the guidelines [4] page to help students discover them more easily.

[3] https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?jql=labels%3DOnboarding
"

Thanks,
Eduard