Quantcast

Glossary Application

Sarthak Gupta
Hi,
On the IRC, I asked about the meaning of the term "Rendering
transformation". I went through the Rendering Framework doc and found that
'Rendering' is just a way to convert the DOM (Data Object Model: it
connects different programming languages) into a valid output which is
shown to the user.

Now in the project "Glossary Application" ,  the idea is to present a list
of definitions in the glossary app. I wanted to inquire if the definitions
of the 'technical terms'(words which a user while going through the x-wiki
page will find difficult to understand) of the x-wiki page is to be listed
in the glossary app? And when user clicks on that word then a new page
opens listing the definition of that term, feature etc?

Thanks :)

Re: Glossary Application

Hi Sarthak,

> On 18 Mar 2017, at 19:42, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> On the IRC, I asked about the meaning of the term "Rendering
> transformation”.

Yep I saw your question and answered on IRC but you were probably not connected anymore:

"
11:42
sgc072: you can check http://rendering.xwiki.org which explains what is XWiki's rendering
you should also read http://rendering.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Architecture and http://rendering.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Extending
"

> I went through the Rendering Framework doc and found that
> 'Rendering' is just a way to convert the DOM (Data Object Model: it
> connects different programming languages) into a valid output which is
> shown to the user.
>
> Now in the project "Glossary Application" ,  the idea is to present a list
> of definitions in the glossary app. I wanted to inquire if the definitions
> of the 'technical terms'(words which a user while going through the x-wiki
> page will find difficult to understand) of the x-wiki page is to be listed
> in the glossary app?

Not sure why you make a distinction between “definitions” and “technical terms”. For me they’re the same but I’m probably not understanding what you mean.

> And when user clicks on that word then a new page
> opens listing the definition of that term, feature etc?

Yes, that seems natural.

What you should do is make a detailed proposal on this list of how this app will behave according to you (nothing is predefined, I only listed some ideas on the glossary GSOC page). Then we/I can review it and give you an opinion. In short, you have some liberty to decide what the app should do :)

For example you’ll need to devise how the user will add glossary entries. There could be an “Add Entry” form on the glossary home page but there could also be a way to highlight words or a sentences while viewing a page and having an situ-way of adding an entry (similar to the way annotations are added). This would seem convenient to me.

Thanks for being interested in this project. I believe it’s something that XWiki users will love!
-Vincent

> Thanks :)

Re: Glossary Application

Sarthak Gupta
​Hi Vincent,

I have come up with an idea that:
1. I will make an extension that will link to the Glossary Page.
2. The idea would be whenever a user will select a list of words in the
page, then a button will appear just above the text.
3. On clicking that button a dialog box will appear on the bottom right of
the screen that will specify some options as follows:
    (i)For a user: (a) "Word name"(one word at a time. Next word could be
accessed by clicking an another button)
                         (b) Short description of the word, with a link for
'Read More'. Clicking on 'Read more' will direct the user to the
                           glossary page.
    (ii) For an Admin: (a) The JavaScript will scan each and every word of
the selected text, and will display if a word in the selected
                         text is in the Glossary Page or not(by the use
different  color for each word that is 'in' and that is 'not in'
                               the glossary page.
                                (b) Add the word to the glossary page/ Make
changes(which will direct the admin to the glossary page and there
                              he could add new entries or make changes to
the original one).
4. The glossary page will simply be created with 'Create Page' provided in
X-wiki I suppose. I need to think of interface :P.

Please suggest some improvement or additional information that I should
specify before writing a proposal.
I also need to think how my timeline in my proposal will be divided :P

Thanks :)
Sarthak Gupta​

Re: Glossary Application

Hi Sarthak,

> On 20 Mar 2017, at 20:00, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ​Hi Vincent,
>
> I have come up with an idea that:
> 1. I will make an extension that will link to the Glossary Page.

The extension *is* the Glossary app. There’s no glossary page in XWiki ATM. The point of this project is to create this app/extension.

> 2. The idea would be whenever a user will select a list of words in the page, then a button will appear just above the text.

Ok. We could also introduce a shortcut key as we have for annotations (ctrl+M).

I guess you’re referring to creating glossary entries right?

Because for viewing the the Rendering Transformation would simply create standard links IMO.

> 3. On clicking that button a dialog box will appear on the bottom right of the screen that will specify some options as follows:

I think it should appear just below the word(s) you selected.

>     (i)For a user: (a) "Word name"(one word at a time. Next word could be accessed by clicking an another button)
>                          (b) Short description of the word, with a link for 'Read More'. Clicking on 'Read more' will direct the user to the                                      glossary page.

I think it’s enough to do display that on hover without clicking. Clicking would go to the glossary page.

>     (ii) For an Admin: (a) The JavaScript will scan each and every word of the selected text, and will display if a word in the selected                                        text is in the Glossary Page or not(by the use different  color for each word that is 'in' and that is 'not in'                                          the glossary page.

That’s one way of doing it indeed. Another way (possibly better or not - We need to list the pros and cons of each approach) is to use a Rendering Transformation since it’s meant for that.

I don’t understand why only admins would see glossary terms on the page. IMO everyone should see them.

>                                 (b) Add the word to the glossary page/ Make changes(which will direct the admin to the glossary page and there                                       he could add new entries or make changes to the original one).
> 4. The glossary page will simply be created with 'Create Page' provided in X-wiki I suppose. I need to think of interface :P.

IMO there should be 2 ways:
1) same mechanism as for annotations
2) on the glossary app home page with a form

It would be nice if you could create a design page on design.xwiki.org so that we can record all decisions that we take.

> Please suggest some improvement or additional information that I should specify before writing a proposal.
> I also need to think how my timeline in my proposal will be divided :P
>
> Thanks :)
> Sarthak Gupta​

Re: Glossary Application

Sarthak Gupta
On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sarthak,
>
> > On 20 Mar 2017, at 20:00, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > ​Hi Vincent,
> >
> > I have come up with an idea that:
> > 1. I will make an extension that will link to the Glossary Page.
>
> ​​
> The extension *is* the Glossary app. There’s no glossary page in XWiki
> ATM. The point of this project is to create this app/extension.

I was talking about the home page(I will make) of the glossary app that I
proposed. :P​

> > 2. The idea would be whenever a user will select a list of words in the
> page, then a button will appear just above the text.
>
> Ok. We could also introduce a shortcut key as we have for annotations
> (ctrl+M).
>
> I guess you’re referring to creating glossary entries right?
>
> ​Yup, glossary entries will be created on clicking the 'Make entry' button
by admin or by shortcut key as proposed by you.

> Because for viewing the the Rendering Transformation would simply create
> standard links IMO.

​I need to think how this will work.

> > 3. On clicking that button a dialog box will appear on the bottom right
> of the screen that will specify some options as follows:
>
> I think it should appear just below the word(s) you selected.
>
> ​Yes, this would be better. The dialog box will move along the screen as
we move to the next word.

> >     (i)For a user: (a) "Word name"(one word at a time. Next word could
> be accessed by clicking an another button)
> >                          (b) Short description of the word, with a link
> for 'Read More'. Clicking on 'Read more' will direct the user to the
>                               glossary page.
>
> I think it’s enough to do display that on hover without clicking. Clicking
> would go to the glossary page.

​Yes, I agree with this too.​

> >     (ii) For an Admin: (a) The JavaScript will scan each and every word
> of the selected text, and will display if a word in the selected
>                             text is in the Glossary Page or not(by the use
> different  color for each word that is 'in' and that is 'not in'
>                               the glossary page.
>
> That’s one way of doing it indeed. Another way (possibly better or not -
> We need to list the pros and cons of each approach) is to use a Rendering
> Transformation since it’s meant for that.
>
> I don’t understand why only admins would see glossary terms on the page.
> IMO everyone should see them.
>
> ​I meant to say that the users will be able to see the words which have
entries on the glossary page. But for admin, he would be able to see/select
the both the words that are 'in' and 'not in' the glossary page and make
changes to them.​

> >                                 (b) Add the word to the glossary page/
> Make changes(which will direct the admin to the glossary page and there
>                                    he could add new entries or make changes
> to the original one).
> > 4. The glossary page will simply be created with 'Create Page' provided
> in X-wiki I suppose. I need to think of interface :P.
>
> IMO there should be 2 ways:
> 1) same mechanism as for annotations
> 2) on the glossary app home page with a form
>
> ​I am not able to grasp these points. So I would try discussing it on
IRC​probably .

> It would be nice if you could create a design page on design.xwiki.org so
> that we can record all decisions that we take.
>
> ​I have initiated a page, and going through the tutorials​ on how to use
the 'design page' and 'create application'. I will come out with something
in few days. :)

Thanks

Sarthak Gupta

Re: Glossary Application

Sarthak Gupta
Hi Vincent,

I have created a design page

Link: http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/GlossaryApplication

I request you to review it and please tell me if anything needs to be
added/modified in it.

Thanks :)

Sarthak Gupta

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:21 AM, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> changes to them.​
>

>> >                                 (b) Add the word to the glossary page/
>> Make changes(which will direct the admin to the glossary page and there
>>                                    he could add new entries or make changes
>> to the original one).
>> > 4. The glossary page will simply be created with 'Create Page' provided
>> in X-wiki I suppose. I need to think of interface :P.
>>
>> IMO there should be 2 ways:
>> 1) same mechanism as for annotations
>> 2) on the glossary app home page with a form
>>
>> ​I am not able to grasp these points. So I would try discussing it on
> IRC​probably .
>
>> It would be nice if you could create a design page on design.xwiki.org
>> so that we can record all decisions that we take.
>>
>> ​I have initiated a page, and going through the tutorials​ on how to use
> the 'design page' and 'create application'. I will come out with something

Re: Glossary Application

Hi Sarthak,

> On 24 Mar 2017, at 16:44, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> I have created a design page
>
> Link: http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/GlossaryApplication

I’ve commented on the page.

> [...]
>> the both the words that are 'in' and 'not in' the glossary page and make
>> changes to them.​

>>> Make changes(which will direct the admin to the glossary page and there
>>>                                   he could add new entries or make changes
>>> to the original one).
>>> in X-wiki I suppose. I need to think of interface :P.
>>>
>>> IMO there should be 2 ways:
>>> 1) same mechanism as for annotations
>>> 2) on the glossary app home page with a form
>>>
>>> ​I am not able to grasp these points. So I would try discussing it on
>> IRC​probably .
>>
>>> It would be nice if you could create a design page on design.xwiki.org
>>> so that we can record all decisions that we take.
>>>
>>> ​I have initiated a page, and going through the tutorials​ on how to use
>> the 'design page' and 'create application'. I will come out with something

Re: Glossary Application

Sarthak Gupta
Hi Vincent,
I am not able to decide how would my approach be like to develop the
glossary application.  I have an idea what I need to do to develop this app
but couldn't able to decide the milestones(that I will write in my
proposal) I should set.

The things I know are to be done are:

   - The glossary app homepage will be created by "App within minutes
   application".
   - Using rendering transformation to create  links to the app and to
   display the words.
   - Developing the extension whose mechanism will be analogous to that of
   annotation extension.
   - Linking the extension with the glossary home page and to pages
   containing definition of words.

Please guide me.

Thanks

-Sarthak Gupta

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sarthak,
>
> > On 24 Mar 2017, at 16:44, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Vincent,
> >
> > I have created a design page
> >
> > Link: http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/
> GlossaryApplication
>
> I’ve commented on the page.

> > I request you to review it and please tell me if anything needs to be
> > added/modified in it.
> >
> > Thanks :)
> >
> > Sarthak Gupta
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:21 AM, Sarthak Gupta <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> >> I was talking about the home page(I will make) of the glossary app that
> >> proposed. :P​

> the

> >> button by admin or by shortcut key as proposed by you.

> create
> >>>

> >> ​I need to think how this will work.
> >> ​

> right

> as
> >> we move to the next word.
> >> ​

> >> ​Yes, I agree with this too.​

> use

> -
> Rendering

> page.

> >> entries on the glossary page. But for admin, he would be able to
> see/select
> >> the both the words that are 'in' and 'not in' the glossary page and make
> >> changes to them.​

> changes
> provided

> >> IRC​probably .

> use
> >> the 'design page' and 'create application'. I will come out with
> something
> >> in few days. :)
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Sarthak Gupta

Re: Glossary Application

Hi Sarthak,

> On 26 Mar 2017, at 14:45, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
> I am not able to decide how would my approach be like to develop the
> glossary application.  I have an idea what I need to do to develop this app
> but couldn't able to decide the milestones(that I will write in my
> proposal) I should set.
>
> The things I know are to be done are:
>
>   - The glossary app homepage will be created by "App within minutes
>   application".

Yes it’s fine to use AWM although it’s not required at all and another UI could be proposed/done.

See http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/FAQTutorial/FAQTutorialManual to understand how it works. You really need to understand this rather than use the AWM which hides how it works.

>   - Using rendering transformation to create  links to the app and to
>   display the words.

Yes,except not direct links but on hover information + link in the on hover popup.

>   - Developing the extension whose mechanism will be analogous to that of
>   annotation extension.

I don’t know what you call “extension”. I think you mean the in-context creation of glossary entries.

What do you call extension? In XWiki an extension has a special meaning, see http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/

> Please guide me.

I would if I knew what you’re looking for precisely :)

You’ve already listed several steps above. Couldn’t that be your milestones?

IMO you should also propose other features that could be implemented depending on how fast you progress on the main features. I’ll give you 2 examples (I’m not saying they’re the best but you should use your own experience/ideas by thinking about how you’d use this glossary feature and how to make it the best possible):
* Provide an Admin UI  to configure the Glossary application. For example to configure on which pages the transformation should execute (with regex includes/excludes)
* Allow using Wikipedia (or other sources) to automatically gather information about glossary items.

Thanks!

> -Sarthak Gupta
>
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sarthak,
>>
>>> On 24 Mar 2017, at 16:44, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>
>>> I have created a design page
>>>
>>> Link: http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/
>> GlossaryApplication
>>
>> I’ve commented on the page.

>>> I request you to review it and please tell me if anything needs to be
>>> added/modified in it.
>>>
>>> Thanks :)
>>>
>>> Sarthak Gupta
>>>
>>> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:21 AM, Sarthak Gupta <
>> [hidden email]>

>> the

>> create

>> right

>> as

>> use

>> -
>> Rendering

>> page.

>> see/select

>> changes
>> provided

>> use
>> something

Re: Glossary Application

Sarthak Gupta
Hi
​V​
incent,

​I am going through what you said and will try to think of some other
features that I can include in this glossary application.

My main query is that in my GSoC proposal I have to write about the
timeline in which i will carry out different tasks related to the project.
I am not able to get what should I include for different weeks and as a
part of my mid-term​ and end-term evaluation. I know that I have to divide
my tasks into smaller parts but not able to decide fully which parts are to
be carried out first and which are to be carried out latter.

I don't know if this is a legitimate query or not, because it's* my*
proposal and I should be the one framing it accordingly. :/

Sarthak Gupta

On 26-Mar-2017 10:57 PM, "Vincent Massol" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> You’ve already listed several steps above. Couldn’t that be your
> milestones?
>
> IMO you should also propose other features that could be implemented
> depending on how fast you progress on the main features. I’ll give you 2
> examples (I’m not saying they’re the best but you should use your own
> experience/ideas by thinking about how you’d use this glossary feature and
> how to make it the best possible):
> * Provide an Admin UI  to configure the Glossary application. For example
> to configure on which pages the transformation should execute (with regex
> includes/excludes)
> * Allow using Wikipedia (or other sources) to automatically gather
> information about glossary items.
>
> Thanks!

> > -Sarthak Gupta
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>

Re: Glossary Application

> On 27 Mar 2017, at 18:01, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
> ​V​
> incent,
>
> ​I am going through what you said and will try to think of some other
> features that I can include in this glossary application.
>
> My main query is that in my GSoC proposal I have to write about the
> timeline in which i will carry out different tasks related to the project.
> I am not able to get what should I include for different weeks and as a
> part of my mid-term​ and end-term evaluation. I know that I have to divide
> my tasks into smaller parts but not able to decide fully which parts are to
> be carried out first and which are to be carried out latter.
>
> I don't know if this is a legitimate query or not, because it's* my*
> proposal and I should be the one framing it accordingly. :/

For example I propose the following order:

Step 1: Create Glossary app with ability to create new entries.
Step 2: Create Transformation to display glossary terms when a page is rendered
Step 3: Add ability to create glossary items in context
Step 4: Create a functional test to prove that steps 1, 2 and 3 work.
Step 5: Release + Document a first version
Step 6: <new idea1>
Step 7: <new idea2>

Now FYI, for an experienced xwiki dev this is roughly some ideas of timeframes:
Step 1: 0.5 day
Step 2: 1.5 days (including automated unit tests)
Step 3: 2 days
Step 4: 1 day
Step 5: 0.5 day

This is why I was suggesting that you include other ideas since even if you multiply these delays to take into account the fact that you’re new to xwiki dev, it would still not amount to that much :)

> [...]
>> see http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
>>
>>> Please guide me.
>>
>> I would if I knew what you’re looking for precisely :)
>>
>> You’ve already listed several steps above. Couldn’t that be your
>> milestones?
>>
>> IMO you should also propose other features that could be implemented
>> depending on how fast you progress on the main features. I’ll give you 2
>> examples (I’m not saying they’re the best but you should use your own
>> experience/ideas by thinking about how you’d use this glossary feature and
>> how to make it the best possible):
>> * Provide an Admin UI  to configure the Glossary application. For example
>> to configure on which pages the transformation should execute (with regex
>> includes/excludes)
>> * Allow using Wikipedia (or other sources) to automatically gather

Re: Glossary Application

Sarthak Gupta
Hi Vincent,

Thank You very much for your valuable advice.
Now I am feeling little comfortable :D
After some more research, I would be updating my design page and also will
submit a draft of my proposal for a review.

Thanks Again :)

Sarthak Gupta

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:38 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> I would if I knew what you’re looking for precisely :)
> >>
> >> You’ve already listed several steps above. Couldn’t that be your
> >> milestones?
> >>
> >> IMO you should also propose other features that could be implemented
> >> depending on how fast you progress on the main features. I’ll give you 2
> >> examples (I’m not saying they’re the best but you should use your own
> >> experience/ideas by thinking about how you’d use this glossary feature
> and
> >> how to make it the best possible):
> >> * Provide an Admin UI  to configure the Glossary application. For
> example
> >> to configure on which pages the transformation should execute (with
> regex
> >> includes/excludes)
> >> * Allow using Wikipedia (or other sources) to automatically gather

Re: Glossary Application

Sarthak Gupta
Hi Vincent,

I have updated my design page and will submit the draft of my proposal in a
day or so. Kindly review it suggest some changes.

Also I am not able to think of other features which I could add in this
proposal.

>>Provide an Admin UI  to configure the Glossary application. For example
to configure on which pages the transformation should execute
 >(with regex includes/excludes)

And I think that features to be added in Admin UI should be expanded but I
am not able to think one.

>* Allow using Wikipedia (or other sources) to automatically gather
information about glossary items.

This would be done using the concept of* Web Scraping* I suppose?

Thanks. :)

Sarthak Gupta

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:06 PM, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> rendered
>> Step 3: Add ability to create glossary items in context
>> Step 4: Create a functional test to prove that steps 1, 2 and 3 work.
>> Step 5: Release + Document a first version
>> Step 6: <new idea1>
>> Step 7: <new idea2>
>> …
>>
>> Now FYI, for an experienced xwiki dev this is roughly some ideas of
>> timeframes:
>> Step 1: 0.5 day
>> Step 2: 1.5 days (including automated unit tests)
>> Step 3: 2 days
>> Step 4: 1 day
>> Step 5: 0.5 day
>>
>> This is why I was suggesting that you include other ideas since even if
>> you multiply these delays to take into account the fact that you’re new to
>> xwiki dev, it would still not amount to that much :)

Re: Glossary Application

Hi Sarthak,

> On 28 Mar 2017, at 21:25, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> I have updated my design page and will submit the draft of my proposal in a
> day or so. Kindly review it suggest some changes.

I”ve added annotations on the page. We’re getting there! There are still lots of smallish problems though (see comments).

> Also I am not able to think of other features which I could add in this
> proposal.

I’ll think of some more but we can always add them as we progress.

> Provide an Admin UI  to configure the Glossary application. For example
> to configure on which pages the transformation should execute
>> (with regex includes/excludes)
>
> And I think that features to be added in Admin UI should be expanded but I
> am not able to think one.
>
>> * Allow using Wikipedia (or other sources) to automatically gather
> information about glossary items.
>
> This would be done using the concept of* Web Scraping* I suppose?

It would be much better if wikipedia was providing some API for this, such as a REST API for example. Web scraping is just too fragile.

> Thanks. :)
>
> Sarthak Gupta
>
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:06 PM, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Vincent,
>>
>> Thank You very much for your valuable advice.
>> Now I am feeling little comfortable :D
>> After some more research, I would be updating my design page and also will
>> submit a draft of my proposal for a review.
>>
>> Thanks Again :)
>>
>> Sarthak Gupta
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:38 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> project.
>>> divide
>>> are to

>>> For example I propose the following order:
>>>
>>> Step 1: Create Glossary app with ability to create new entries.
>>> Step 2: Create Transformation to display glossary terms when a page is
>>> rendered
>>> Step 3: Add ability to create glossary items in context
>>> Step 4: Create a functional test to prove that steps 1, 2 and 3 work.
>>> Step 5: Release + Document a first version
>>> Step 6: <new idea1>
>>> Step 7: <new idea2>
>>> …
>>>
>>> Now FYI, for an experienced xwiki dev this is roughly some ideas of
>>> timeframes:
>>> Step 1: 0.5 day
>>> Step 2: 1.5 days (including automated unit tests)
>>> Step 3: 2 days
>>> Step 4: 1 day
>>> Step 5: 0.5 day
>>>
>>> This is why I was suggesting that you include other ideas since even if
>>> you multiply these delays to take into account the fact that you’re new to
>>> xwiki dev, it would still not amount to that much :)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>>> this

>>> UI

>>> of

>>> meaning,

>>> 2
>>> and
>>> example
>>> regex

>>> be

>>> [hidden email]>

>>> [hidden email]>

>>> in

>>> annotations

>>> entry'

>>> screen

>>> could
>>> the

>>> the

>>> page/

>>> it on

Re: Glossary Application

Sarthak Gupta
Hi Vincent,

I have made some changes in the design page. Kindly review it. I have made
a draft of my proposal. I will share it once you suggest some final changes
on the design page. :)

Thanks

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sarthak,
>
> > On 28 Mar 2017, at 21:25, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Vincent,
> >
> > I have updated my design page and will submit the draft of my proposal
> in a
> > day or so. Kindly review it suggest some changes.
>
> I”ve added annotations on the page. We’re getting there! There are still
> lots of smallish problems though (see comments).
>
> > Also I am not able to think of other features which I could add in this
> > proposal.
>
> I’ll think of some more but we can always add them as we progress.
>
> > Provide an Admin UI  to configure the Glossary application. For example
> > to configure on which pages the transformation should execute
> >> (with regex includes/excludes)
> >
> > And I think that features to be added in Admin UI should be expanded but
> > am not able to think one.
> >
> >> * Allow using Wikipedia (or other sources) to automatically gather
> > information about glossary items.
> >
> > This would be done using the concept of* Web Scraping* I suppose?
>
> It would be much better if wikipedia was providing some API for this, such
> as a REST API for example. Web scraping is just too fragile.

> > Thanks. :)
> >
> > Sarthak Gupta
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:06 PM, Sarthak Gupta <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Vincent,
> >>
> >> Thank You very much for your valuable advice.
> >> Now I am feeling little comfortable :D
> >> After some more research, I would be updating my design page and also
> will
> >> submit a draft of my proposal for a review.
> >>
> >> Thanks Again :)
> >>
> >> Sarthak Gupta

> new to

> another

> in-context

> you
> feature

> [hidden email]>

> [hidden email]>

> Page.

> app

> words

> simply

> bottom

> clicking.

> or

> the

> which
> and

> and

> how

Re: Glossary Application

Hi Sarthak,

> On 30 Mar 2017, at 12:43, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> I have made some changes in the design page. Kindly review it. I have made
> a draft of my proposal. I will share it once you suggest some final changes
> on the design page. :)

I’ve looked very quickly. Seems good.

What I meant by " propose more details in my mail reply to you. Why did you remove them?” was this approach:

Step 1: Create Glossary app with ability to create new entries.
Step 2: Create Transformation to display glossary terms when a page is
rendered
Step 3: Add ability to create glossary items in context
Step 4: Create a functional test to prove that steps 1, 2 and 3 work.
Step 5: Release + Document a first version
Step 6: Additional features

In your proposal you have only this:

• Creation of Glossary Home page with basic CRUD functionalities.
• Creation Transformation to display glossary items when a page renders. Also includes creating a feature of popup on hovering.
• Adding the ability to create glossary items in context with the page.
• Adding the ideas as given below.

Thus you’ve removed details and I don’t understand why.