Quantcast

Glossary Application

Sarthak Gupta
Hi,
On the IRC, I asked about the meaning of the term "Rendering
transformation". I went through the Rendering Framework doc and found that
'Rendering' is just a way to convert the DOM (Data Object Model: it
connects different programming languages) into a valid output which is
shown to the user.

Now in the project "Glossary Application" ,  the idea is to present a list
of definitions in the glossary app. I wanted to inquire if the definitions
of the 'technical terms'(words which a user while going through the x-wiki
page will find difficult to understand) of the x-wiki page is to be listed
in the glossary app? And when user clicks on that word then a new page
opens listing the definition of that term, feature etc?

Thanks :)

Re: Glossary Application

Hi Sarthak,

> On 18 Mar 2017, at 19:42, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> On the IRC, I asked about the meaning of the term "Rendering
> transformation”.

Yep I saw your question and answered on IRC but you were probably not connected anymore:

"
11:42
sgc072: you can check http://rendering.xwiki.org which explains what is XWiki's rendering
you should also read http://rendering.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Architecture and http://rendering.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Extending
"

> I went through the Rendering Framework doc and found that
> 'Rendering' is just a way to convert the DOM (Data Object Model: it
> connects different programming languages) into a valid output which is
> shown to the user.
>
> Now in the project "Glossary Application" ,  the idea is to present a list
> of definitions in the glossary app. I wanted to inquire if the definitions
> of the 'technical terms'(words which a user while going through the x-wiki
> page will find difficult to understand) of the x-wiki page is to be listed
> in the glossary app?

Not sure why you make a distinction between “definitions” and “technical terms”. For me they’re the same but I’m probably not understanding what you mean.

> And when user clicks on that word then a new page
> opens listing the definition of that term, feature etc?

Yes, that seems natural.

What you should do is make a detailed proposal on this list of how this app will behave according to you (nothing is predefined, I only listed some ideas on the glossary GSOC page). Then we/I can review it and give you an opinion. In short, you have some liberty to decide what the app should do :)

For example you’ll need to devise how the user will add glossary entries. There could be an “Add Entry” form on the glossary home page but there could also be a way to highlight words or a sentences while viewing a page and having an situ-way of adding an entry (similar to the way annotations are added). This would seem convenient to me.

Thanks for being interested in this project. I believe it’s something that XWiki users will love!
-Vincent

> Thanks :)

Re: Glossary Application

Sarthak Gupta
​Hi Vincent,

I have come up with an idea that:
1. I will make an extension that will link to the Glossary Page.
2. The idea would be whenever a user will select a list of words in the
page, then a button will appear just above the text.
3. On clicking that button a dialog box will appear on the bottom right of
the screen that will specify some options as follows:
    (i)For a user: (a) "Word name"(one word at a time. Next word could be
accessed by clicking an another button)
                         (b) Short description of the word, with a link for
'Read More'. Clicking on 'Read more' will direct the user to the
                           glossary page.
    (ii) For an Admin: (a) The JavaScript will scan each and every word of
the selected text, and will display if a word in the selected
                         text is in the Glossary Page or not(by the use
different  color for each word that is 'in' and that is 'not in'
                               the glossary page.
                                (b) Add the word to the glossary page/ Make
changes(which will direct the admin to the glossary page and there
                              he could add new entries or make changes to
the original one).
4. The glossary page will simply be created with 'Create Page' provided in
X-wiki I suppose. I need to think of interface :P.

Please suggest some improvement or additional information that I should
specify before writing a proposal.
I also need to think how my timeline in my proposal will be divided :P

Thanks :)
Sarthak Gupta​

Re: Glossary Application

Hi Sarthak,

> On 20 Mar 2017, at 20:00, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ​Hi Vincent,
>
> I have come up with an idea that:
> 1. I will make an extension that will link to the Glossary Page.

The extension *is* the Glossary app. There’s no glossary page in XWiki ATM. The point of this project is to create this app/extension.

> 2. The idea would be whenever a user will select a list of words in the page, then a button will appear just above the text.

Ok. We could also introduce a shortcut key as we have for annotations (ctrl+M).

I guess you’re referring to creating glossary entries right?

Because for viewing the the Rendering Transformation would simply create standard links IMO.

> 3. On clicking that button a dialog box will appear on the bottom right of the screen that will specify some options as follows:

I think it should appear just below the word(s) you selected.

>     (i)For a user: (a) "Word name"(one word at a time. Next word could be accessed by clicking an another button)
>                          (b) Short description of the word, with a link for 'Read More'. Clicking on 'Read more' will direct the user to the                                      glossary page.

I think it’s enough to do display that on hover without clicking. Clicking would go to the glossary page.

>     (ii) For an Admin: (a) The JavaScript will scan each and every word of the selected text, and will display if a word in the selected                                        text is in the Glossary Page or not(by the use different  color for each word that is 'in' and that is 'not in'                                          the glossary page.

That’s one way of doing it indeed. Another way (possibly better or not - We need to list the pros and cons of each approach) is to use a Rendering Transformation since it’s meant for that.

I don’t understand why only admins would see glossary terms on the page. IMO everyone should see them.

>                                 (b) Add the word to the glossary page/ Make changes(which will direct the admin to the glossary page and there                                       he could add new entries or make changes to the original one).
> 4. The glossary page will simply be created with 'Create Page' provided in X-wiki I suppose. I need to think of interface :P.

IMO there should be 2 ways:
1) same mechanism as for annotations
2) on the glossary app home page with a form

It would be nice if you could create a design page on design.xwiki.org so that we can record all decisions that we take.

> Please suggest some improvement or additional information that I should specify before writing a proposal.
> I also need to think how my timeline in my proposal will be divided :P
>
> Thanks :)
> Sarthak Gupta​

Re: Glossary Application

Sarthak Gupta
On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sarthak,
>
> > On 20 Mar 2017, at 20:00, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > ​Hi Vincent,
> >
> > I have come up with an idea that:
> > 1. I will make an extension that will link to the Glossary Page.
>
> ​​
> The extension *is* the Glossary app. There’s no glossary page in XWiki
> ATM. The point of this project is to create this app/extension.

I was talking about the home page(I will make) of the glossary app that I
proposed. :P​

> > 2. The idea would be whenever a user will select a list of words in the
> page, then a button will appear just above the text.
>
> Ok. We could also introduce a shortcut key as we have for annotations
> (ctrl+M).
>
> I guess you’re referring to creating glossary entries right?
>
> ​Yup, glossary entries will be created on clicking the 'Make entry' button
by admin or by shortcut key as proposed by you.

> Because for viewing the the Rendering Transformation would simply create
> standard links IMO.

​I need to think how this will work.

> > 3. On clicking that button a dialog box will appear on the bottom right
> of the screen that will specify some options as follows:
>
> I think it should appear just below the word(s) you selected.
>
> ​Yes, this would be better. The dialog box will move along the screen as
we move to the next word.

> >     (i)For a user: (a) "Word name"(one word at a time. Next word could
> be accessed by clicking an another button)
> >                          (b) Short description of the word, with a link
> for 'Read More'. Clicking on 'Read more' will direct the user to the
>                               glossary page.
>
> I think it’s enough to do display that on hover without clicking. Clicking
> would go to the glossary page.

​Yes, I agree with this too.​

> >     (ii) For an Admin: (a) The JavaScript will scan each and every word
> of the selected text, and will display if a word in the selected
>                             text is in the Glossary Page or not(by the use
> different  color for each word that is 'in' and that is 'not in'
>                               the glossary page.
>
> That’s one way of doing it indeed. Another way (possibly better or not -
> We need to list the pros and cons of each approach) is to use a Rendering
> Transformation since it’s meant for that.
>
> I don’t understand why only admins would see glossary terms on the page.
> IMO everyone should see them.
>
> ​I meant to say that the users will be able to see the words which have
entries on the glossary page. But for admin, he would be able to see/select
the both the words that are 'in' and 'not in' the glossary page and make
changes to them.​

> >                                 (b) Add the word to the glossary page/
> Make changes(which will direct the admin to the glossary page and there
>                                    he could add new entries or make changes
> to the original one).
> > 4. The glossary page will simply be created with 'Create Page' provided
> in X-wiki I suppose. I need to think of interface :P.
>
> IMO there should be 2 ways:
> 1) same mechanism as for annotations
> 2) on the glossary app home page with a form
>
> ​I am not able to grasp these points. So I would try discussing it on
IRC​probably .

> It would be nice if you could create a design page on design.xwiki.org so
> that we can record all decisions that we take.
>
> ​I have initiated a page, and going through the tutorials​ on how to use
the 'design page' and 'create application'. I will come out with something
in few days. :)

Thanks

Sarthak Gupta

Re: Glossary Application

Sarthak Gupta
Hi Vincent,

I have created a design page

Link: http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/GlossaryApplication

I request you to review it and please tell me if anything needs to be
added/modified in it.

Thanks :)

Sarthak Gupta

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:21 AM, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> changes to them.​
>

>> >                                 (b) Add the word to the glossary page/
>> Make changes(which will direct the admin to the glossary page and there
>>                                    he could add new entries or make changes
>> to the original one).
>> > 4. The glossary page will simply be created with 'Create Page' provided
>> in X-wiki I suppose. I need to think of interface :P.
>>
>> IMO there should be 2 ways:
>> 1) same mechanism as for annotations
>> 2) on the glossary app home page with a form
>>
>> ​I am not able to grasp these points. So I would try discussing it on
> IRC​probably .
>
>> It would be nice if you could create a design page on design.xwiki.org
>> so that we can record all decisions that we take.
>>
>> ​I have initiated a page, and going through the tutorials​ on how to use
> the 'design page' and 'create application'. I will come out with something

Re: Glossary Application

Hi Sarthak,

> On 24 Mar 2017, at 16:44, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> I have created a design page
>
> Link: http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/GlossaryApplication

I’ve commented on the page.