Google Soc Project Release - P2PXWiki

Bikash Agarwalla
I am happy to announce the release of the project P2PXWiki developed as
part of Google SoC.  P2PXWiki contains a central registry (for
registering a new XWiki) which can be updated by peers using JXTA
network. It also includes support for replication, allowing a wiki to be
replicated among peers.

Please checkout the project page
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Dev/P2PXWiki . Comments are welcome.

-Bikash

Re: Google Soc Project Release - P2PXWiki

Ludovic Dubost

Congratulations Bikash for this work.. I was a great project during this
summer to write the architecture of this..
During this project, some interesting features have been added in the
P2PXWiki plugin:

- there are new replications XML-RPC apis (getAllPagesAsXML and
getAllPagesAsXML since date XYZ) which are used to replicate wikis
- a JXTA conversation module has been build to allows XWikis to
communicate using a XML-RPC over JXTA api
- a DNS registry API has been build allowing peer XWikis to advertise
their Wiki to the community
- the architecture of what's next has been made which would allow to
bypass firewalls and replicate XWikis to many peers

What we could do with it quite soon with a little bit of work:

- with a central registry setup (I'm going to prepare this on a test
machine at my home which has a fixed IP), we could make personal Wikis
easily attainable if people open up their firewall port. It's not much
more than a dynamic DNS but it has the capability to then bypass firewalls.
- firewall bypassing of HTTP requests would probably be an interesting
next priority, so that even xwikis behind firewalls become accessible.
The central registry could be the default node to relay the request.
- we could work on allowing replication of a personal wiki to any user
on the JXTA network.
- we could work on allowing replication to a central wiki

If there are any developers that are interested in this project we can
open a separate project mailing list and XWiki.org space to discuss this
project.

Ludovic