HTML export

Hi all,

One Codehaus (http://www.codehaus.org/) need to eventually use XWiki
as main web site engine would be for us to implement an HTML export
feature.

I made some work on this and I propose to commit on 1.3 (Sergiu just
created the 1.2 branch) a new ExportAction (like the pdf/rtf one) that
handle HTLM/ZIP export (http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-564):
 - support a range a multiwiki pages in view mode without request parameters
 - add skin dependencies in the package
 - add attachments in the package
 - modify links targeting skin, attachment and exported pages in
exported pages (using a custom URL factory)
 - package all this in a zip file

WDYT ?

Re: HTML export

On Dec 4, 2007, at 11:44 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> One Codehaus (http://www.codehaus.org/) need to eventually use XWiki
> as main web site engine would be for us to implement an HTML export
> feature.

Actually just to be precise, it's not codehaus but the mavenforge as
this point. Mavenforge is a project led by Jason Van Zyl, the goal
being to offer a forge for all maven-related projects. It would be
hosted by Contegix. It happens that it'll also use Xircles, the
software that Codehaus is running for its forge and that Jason would
like to modify it slightly to include XWiki in it (amongst other
changes).

> I made some work on this and I propose to commit on 1.3 (Sergiu just
> created the 1.2 branch) a new ExportAction (like the pdf/rtf one) that
> handle HTLM/ZIP export (http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-564):
> - support a range a multiwiki pages in view mode without request
> parameters
> - add skin dependencies in the package
> - add attachments in the package
> - modify links targeting skin, attachment and exported pages in
> exported pages (using a custom URL factory)
> - package all this in a zip file
>
> WDYT ?

big +1

Re: HTML export

Jean-Vincent Drean
> On Dec 4, 2007 12:44 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One Codehaus (http://www.codehaus.org/) need to eventually use XWiki
> as main web site engine would be for us to implement an HTML export
> feature.
>
> I made some work on this and I propose to commit on 1.3 (Sergiu just
> created the 1.2 branch) a new ExportAction (like the pdf/rtf one) that
> handle HTLM/ZIP export (http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-564):
>  - support a range a multiwiki pages in view mode without request parameters
>  - add skin dependencies in the package
>  - add attachments in the package
>  - modify links targeting skin, attachment and exported pages in
> exported pages (using a custom URL factory)
>  - package all this in a zip file

big +1 as well, nice feature !

A+,
JV.

Re: HTML export

Jason van Zyl

On 4 Dec 07, at 2:44 AM 4 Dec 07, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> One Codehaus (http://www.codehaus.org/) need to eventually use XWiki
> as main web site engine would be for us to implement an HTML export
> feature.
>
> I made some work on this and I propose to commit on 1.3 (Sergiu just
> created the 1.2 branch) a new ExportAction (like the pdf/rtf one) that
> handle HTLM/ZIP export (http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-564):
> - support a range a multiwiki pages in view mode without request
> parameters
> - add skin dependencies in the package
> - add attachments in the package
> - modify links targeting skin, attachment and exported pages in
> exported pages (using a custom URL factory)
> - package all this in a zip file

So will this be a single action that I can run?

Also can I control the structure of the exported HTML? I would like to
be able to apply any CSS to the site that is output.

Can I trigger this with a webservice call?

Those are my use cases. I know, very demanding :-)

But this would allow integration into existing system to that XWiki
could be integrated into any existing system.

> WDYT ?

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

-- Thoreau

Re: HTML export

On Dec 11, 2007, at 1:00 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 4 Dec 07, at 2:44 AM 4 Dec 07, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> One Codehaus (http://www.codehaus.org/) need to eventually use XWiki
>> as main web site engine would be for us to implement an HTML export
>> feature.
>>
>> I made some work on this and I propose to commit on 1.3 (Sergiu just
>> created the 1.2 branch) a new ExportAction (like the pdf/rtf one)
>> that
>> handle HTLM/ZIP export (http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-564):
>> - support a range a multiwiki pages in view mode without request
>> parameters
>> - add skin dependencies in the package
>> - add attachments in the package
>> - modify links targeting skin, attachment and exported pages in
>> exported pages (using a custom URL factory)
>> - package all this in a zip file
>>

> So will this be a single action that I can run?

It's a url yes.

> Also can I control the structure of the exported HTML?

what's your need?

> I would like to
> be able to apply any CSS to the site that is output.

By default we export the albatross skin in a directory. This skin
contains css files. You can certainly replace these CSS with your own.

> Can I trigger this with a webservice call?

Since it's a URL you can simply call it with any http client.

> Those are my use cases. I know, very demanding :-)
>
> But this would allow integration into existing system to that XWiki
> could be integrated into any existing system.

Note: I haven't tried it yet but I'll do soon.

Re: HTML export

2007/12/11, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>:

On Dec 11, 2007, at 1:00 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 4 Dec 07, at 2:44 AM 4 Dec 07, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> One Codehaus ( http://www.codehaus.org/) need to eventually use XWiki
>> as main web site engine would be for us to implement an HTML export
>> feature.
>>
>> I made some work on this and I propose to commit on 1.3 (Sergiu just
>> created the 1.2 branch) a new ExportAction (like the pdf/rtf one)
>> that
>> handle HTLM/ZIP export (http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-564 ):
>> - support a range a multiwiki pages in view mode without request
>> parameters
>> - add skin dependencies in the package
>> - add attachments in the package
>> - modify links targeting skin, attachment and exported pages in
>> exported pages (using a custom URL factory)
>> - package all this in a zip file
>>

> So will this be a single action that I can run?

It's a url yes.

Agree.

> Also can I control the structure of the exported HTML?

what's your need?

Did not understood this.

> I would like to
> be able to apply any CSS to the site that is output.

By default we export the albatross skin in a directory. This skin
contains css files. You can certainly replace these CSS with your own.

In fact we export all skins used by exported pages.

On 10 Dec 07, at 11:54 PM 10 Dec 07, Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2007, at 1:00 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>

>> On 4 Dec 07, at 2:44 AM 4 Dec 07, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> One Codehaus (http://www.codehaus.org/) need to eventually use XWiki
>>> as main web site engine would be for us to implement an HTML export
>>> feature.
>>>
>>> I made some work on this and I propose to commit on 1.3 (Sergiu just
>>> created the 1.2 branch) a new ExportAction (like the pdf/rtf one)
>>> that
>>> handle HTLM/ZIP export (http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/
>>> XWIKI-564):
>>> - support a range a multiwiki pages in view mode without request
>>> parameters
>>> - add skin dependencies in the package
>>> - add attachments in the package
>>> - modify links targeting skin, attachment and exported pages in
>>> exported pages (using a custom URL factory)
>>> - package all this in a zip file
>>>

>> So will this be a single action that I can run?
>
> It's a url yes.
>
>> Also can I control the structure of the exported HTML?
>
> what's your need?

To integrate it as site documentation with an existing system. So I
need the structure of my documentation to apply my CSS. It's if XHTML
I can use XSL first, that's not a big deal. It would be cool if I
could write a Doxia sink :-)

>> I would like to
>> be able to apply any CSS to the site that is output.
>
> By default we export the albatross skin in a directory. This skin
> contains css files. You can certainly replace these CSS with your own.
>
>> Can I trigger this with a webservice call?
>
> Since it's a URL you can simply call it with any http client.
>
>> Those are my use cases. I know, very demanding :-)
>>
>> But this would allow integration into existing system to that XWiki
>> could be integrated into any existing system.
>
> Note: I haven't tried it yet but I'll do soon.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

-- Shakespeare

Re: HTML export

Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 4 Dec 07, at 2:44 AM 4 Dec 07, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> One Codehaus (http://www.codehaus.org/) need to eventually use XWiki
>> as main web site engine would be for us to implement an HTML export
>> feature.
>>
>> I made some work on this and I propose to commit on 1.3 (Sergiu just
>> created the 1.2 branch) a new ExportAction (like the pdf/rtf one) that
>> handle HTLM/ZIP export (http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-564):
>> - support a range a multiwiki pages in view mode without request
>> parameters
>> - add skin dependencies in the package
>> - add attachments in the package
>> - modify links targeting skin, attachment and exported pages in
>> exported pages (using a custom URL factory)
>> - package all this in a zip file
>>

> So will this be a single action that I can run?
>
> Also can I control the structure of the exported HTML? I would like to
> be able to apply any CSS to the site that is output.

You can always add &skin=XWiki.MyExportSkin to the URL in order to
generate the HTML with a different skin, where skin involves both the
HTML structure of the document and css. What it can't change is the HTML
generated by the wiki code, but an XSL could fix this.

As for Doxia filters, that's on the way, but still far from the 1.2
release...

> Can I trigger this with a webservice call?

If by webservice you mean SOAP, then not yet... If you mean REST, then
sure. If you mean XmlRpc, then just ask for it strongly enough and it
will be available.

> Those are my use cases. I know, very demanding :-)
>
> But this would allow integration into existing system to that XWiki
> could be integrated into any existing system.
>
>> WDYT ?

Sergiu

Re: HTML export

Jason van Zyl

On 13 Dec 07, at 12:51 AM 13 Dec 07, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> On 4 Dec 07, at 2:44 AM 4 Dec 07, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> One Codehaus (http://www.codehaus.org/) need to eventually use XWiki
>>> as main web site engine would be for us to implement an HTML export
>>> feature.
>>>
>>> I made some work on this and I propose to commit on 1.3 (Sergiu just
>>> created the 1.2 branch) a new ExportAction (like the pdf/rtf one)
>>> that
>>> handle HTLM/ZIP export (http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/
>>> XWIKI-564):
>>> - support a range a multiwiki pages in view mode without request
>>> parameters
>>> - add skin dependencies in the package
>>> - add attachments in the package
>>> - modify links targeting skin, attachment and exported pages in
>>> exported pages (using a custom URL factory)
>>> - package all this in a zip file
>>>

>> So will this be a single action that I can run?
>>
>> Also can I control the structure of the exported HTML? I would like
>> be able to apply any CSS to the site that is output.
>
> You can always add &skin=XWiki.MyExportSkin to the URL in order to
> generate the HTML with a different skin, where skin involves both the
> HTML structure of the document and css. What it can't change is the
> HTML
> generated by the wiki code, but an XSL could fix this.

Cool, that will do it.

> As for Doxia filters, that's on the way, but still far from the 1.2
> release...
>

>> Can I trigger this with a webservice call?
>
> If by webservice you mean SOAP, then not yet... If you mean REST, then
> sure. If you mean XmlRpc, then just ask for it strongly enough and it
> will be available.

REST is fine. I hate SOAP so whenever I talk about webservices I
definitely won't be talking about SOAP. SOAP is dead.

>> Those are my use cases. I know, very demanding :-)
>>
>> But this would allow integration into existing system to that XWiki
>> could be integrated into any existing system.
>>
>>> WDYT ?
>>>

> Sergiu

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Three people can keep a secret provided two of them are dead.

-- Unknown

Re: HTML export

Jason van Zyl
Do you have nightly builds anywhere with this feature that I can try?
I would like to get Ben to try to install it to integrate with Xircles.

On 15 Dec 07, at 4:46 PM 15 Dec 07, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 13 Dec 07, at 12:51 AM 13 Dec 07, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
>
>> Jason van Zyl wrote:

>>> So will this be a single action that I can run?
>>>
>>> Also can I control the structure of the exported HTML? I would like
>>> be able to apply any CSS to the site that is output.
>>
>> You can always add &skin=XWiki.MyExportSkin to the URL in order to
>> generate the HTML with a different skin, where skin involves both the
>> HTML structure of the document and css. What it can't change is the
>> HTML
>> generated by the wiki code, but an XSL could fix this.
>>

> Cool, that will do it.
>
>> As for Doxia filters, that's on the way, but still far from the 1.2
>> release...
>>

>>> Can I trigger this with a webservice call?
>>
>> If by webservice you mean SOAP, then not yet... If you mean REST,
>> then
>> sure. If you mean XmlRpc, then just ask for it strongly enough and it
>> will be available.
>>

> REST is fine. I hate SOAP so whenever I talk about webservices I
> definitely won't be talking about SOAP. SOAP is dead.
>

>>> Those are my use cases. I know, very demanding :-)
>>>
>>> But this would allow integration into existing system to that XWiki
>>> could be integrated into any existing system.

>> Sergiu

> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> jason at sonatype dot com
>
> Three people can keep a secret provided two of them are dead.
>
> -- Unknown

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

-- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Re: HTML export

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Do you have nightly builds anywhere with this feature that I can try?
> I would like to get Ben to try to install it to integrate with Xircles.

http://maven.xwiki.org/snapshots/com/xpn/xwiki/products/xwiki-enterprise-hsqldb/1.3-SNAPSHOT/

Re: HTML export

On Dec 18, 2007, at 9:45 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> Do you have nightly builds anywhere with this feature that I can try?
>> I would like to get Ben to try to install it to integrate with
>> Xircles.
>>

> http://maven.xwiki.org/snapshots/com/xpn/xwiki/products/xwiki-enterprise-hsqldb/1.3-SNAPSHOT/

Pick the one from today to be safe. Our CI was stuck since the 11th of
December and I had to kick it this morning.

Re: HTML export

Jason,

Actually I think we need to talk to Ben to explain to him how to
install XEM as this looks like a better solution for the maven forge
rather than installing XE. Exactly same setup as what we now have on
xwiki.org.

Please tell Ben to join us on irc.freenode.net, #xwiki and we can work
with him from there.