Hide text from search engine.

DeHaynes
Is there a way to make a block of text to not be included in the search engine?

RE Hide text from search engine.

Stef
Hello

What a strange idea !

But you can put some limitation in security in pages for that
The search engine respect rights on pages.

Regards

"users" <[hidden email]> a écrit sur 03/04/2014 15:53:42 :

> Is there a way to make a block of text to not be included in the search
> engine?

Re: Hide text from search engine.

No, there's no way to prevent a block of text from being indexed.
Everything, except password fields, is indexed. This old issue
http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-454 is still opened.

What's your use case? Why do you want to prevent a block of text from
being indexed by the search engine?

Hope this helps,
Marius

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 4:53 PM, DeHaynes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a way to make a block of text to not be included in the search
> engine?

Re: RE Hide text from search engine.

DeHaynes
I am making some forms for documenting our company systems.  The forms I have are:

* System
* Server
* Application
* Process

And also

* Company
* Department
* Person

The EDIT version of these documents has a LOT information explaining what belongs in each section.  This is information that doesn't need to be searched against.  Especially considering that for each document type, the instructions will be duplicated for each instance of that type of document.

Does that make sense?

Re: RE Hide text from search engine.

Marius Dumitru Florea
Then you should tweak the search query. You can make a custom search
UI for you data that searches in a specific list of fields, with
custom priorities. See
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Solr+Search+Application#HSearchUIConfiguration

Hope this helps,
Marius

On 3 Apr 2014 at 16:31:02, DeHaynes ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> I am making some forms for documenting our company systems. The forms I have
> are:
>
> * System
> * Server
> * Application
> * Process
>
> And also
>
> * Company
> * Department
> * Person
>
> The EDIT version of these documents has a LOT information explaining what
> belongs in each section. This is information that doesn't need to be
> searched against. Especially considering that for each document type, the
> instructions will be duplicated for each instance of that type of document.
>
> Does that make sense?

What is indexed is the content of the document and its object properties. This is independent of the action (view, edit, etc).

Note that if you mark a document as “hidden” you won’t see search results for it by default (unless you mention you wish to see hidden docs in your user profile).

Re: RE Hide text from search engine.

DeHaynes
I just realized there is only one SHEET for each document type.  So I won't have the issue of multiple repeated instructions.  Still it would be nice to exclude the SHEET from being indexed.

Thanks.

Re: RE Hide text from search engine.

DeHaynes
I can just make the SHEETS hidden.  That will work.

Thank you all.

On 3 Apr 2014 at 16:41:07, DeHaynes ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> I just realized there is only one SHEET for each document type. So I won't
> have the issue of multiple repeated instructions. Still it would be nice to
> exclude the SHEET from being indexed.

As I said in my previous answer, just make the sheet doc a hidden doc.