How can I forbid Users to create spaces

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How can I forbid Users to create spaces

Florian Rhomberg
Hi!

I have two questions:

-          As already mentioned in the subject, I want to forbid users to
create spaces, only some user groups should be allowed to create spaces.

-          How can I make some spaces like xwiki, Main, and especially
Panels, Stats invisible for any user except the admin user. I do not want
them into index or even when in the search.

 

Is this possible?

 

Thank you for your help,

Florian

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

Florian Rhomberg

Gletscherblick 38

A-6080 Igls

E-Mail: mailto:[hidden email]

www.nettania.net

------------------------------------------------------------------

 

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How can I forbid Users to create spaces

vmassol
Administrator
Hi Florian,

On Oct 13, 2008, at 10:31 PM, Florian Rhomberg wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have two questions:
>
> -          As already mentioned in the subject, I want to forbid  
> users to
> create spaces, only some user groups should be allowed to create  
> spaces.

This is hard since we don't have an explicit notion of space. A space  
is created when a document is created with that space name. However  
you could perform some validation when the user saves the document if  
you want. See the notification tutorial on http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/Tutorials

> -          How can I make some spaces like xwiki, Main, and especially
> Panels, Stats invisible for any user except the admin user. I do not  
> want
> them into index or even when in the search.

They're already supposed to be invisible (for xwiki, panels, stats).

If you want to add other spaces, check the index page content and the  
search page content. You'll see the code that excludes some pages/
spaces.

Thanks
-Vincent
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How can I forbid Users to create spaces

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi Florian,
>
> On Oct 13, 2008, at 10:31 PM, Florian Rhomberg wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have two questions:
>>
>> -          As already mentioned in the subject, I want to forbid  
>> users to
>> create spaces, only some user groups should be allowed to create  
>> spaces.

A workaround for the moment is to use rights like this:

- Global rights:
-- Admins (a group of your choice) can edit
-- The rest of the users cannot edit
- Rights for each editable space:
-- All the users can edit

The disadvantage is that you must always assign the proper rights for
each new space. The advantage is that it works, and it needs a few
minutes to setup.

This works by the fact that rights are looked upwards: rights for the
page, rights for the space, rights for the wiki. In an existing space,
the right to edit will be granted in that space. For a new space, since
it doesn't have any rights, the rights for the wiki will be taken into
account: admins can create a new page, the rest of the users can't.

> This is hard since we don't have an explicit notion of space. A space  
> is created when a document is created with that space name. However  
> you could perform some validation when the user saves the document if  
> you want. See the notification tutorial on http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/Tutorials
>
>> -          How can I make some spaces like xwiki, Main, and especially
>> Panels, Stats invisible for any user except the admin user. I do not  
>> want
>> them into index or even when in the search.
>
> They're already supposed to be invisible (for xwiki, panels, stats).
>
> If you want to add other spaces, check the index page content and the  
> search page content. You'll see the code that excludes some pages/
> spaces.
>

In the future this will be easier. For the moment, manual exclusion is
the only way.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How can I forbid Users to create spaces

Art Yeung

Sergiu Dumitriu-2 wrote
Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> On Oct 13, 2008, at 10:31 PM, Florian Rhomberg wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have two questions:
>>
>> -          As already mentioned in the subject, I want to forbid  
>> users to
>> create spaces, only some user groups should be allowed to create  
>> spaces.

A workaround for the moment is to use rights like this:

- Global rights:
-- Admins (a group of your choice) can edit
-- The rest of the users cannot edit
- Rights for each editable space:
-- All the users can edit

The disadvantage is that you must always assign the proper rights for
each new space. The advantage is that it works, and it needs a few
minutes to setup.

This works by the fact that rights are looked upwards: rights for the
page, rights for the space, rights for the wiki. In an existing space,
the right to edit will be granted in that space. For a new space, since
it doesn't have any rights, the rights for the wiki will be taken into
account: admins can create a new page, the rest of the users can't.

> This is hard since we don't have an explicit notion of space. A space  
> is created when a document is created with that space name. However  
> you could perform some validation when the user saves the document if  
> you want. See the notification tutorial on http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/Tutorials
>
>> -          How can I make some spaces like xwiki, Main, and especially
>> Panels, Stats invisible for any user except the admin user. I do not  
>> want
>> them into index or even when in the search.
>
> They're already supposed to be invisible (for xwiki, panels, stats).
>
> If you want to add other spaces, check the index page content and the  
> search page content. You'll see the code that excludes some pages/
> spaces.
>

In the future this will be easier. For the moment, manual exclusion is
the only way.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
users@xwiki.org
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
This answers my question too, so thank you.

What I do is I created a new panel to replace the default New Page panel. The new panels has a drop down list and a text field and a submit button. The drop down contains a list of spaces where users can select where they want to create a page in, and text field is obviously for the new title. In this way, the Space creation function has been hide from users. Of course, users still can if they know xwiki well. Unless we have more better way, this is ok. Also this give users a friendly way to create pages where they don't need to go to the target space before creation.

Art