How to add new users before they login?

Shiva Shankar
Hi
When using LDAP authentication, is it possible to add users manually before they login for the first time? Is there some way for XWiki to validate that the user exists in LDAP so that it can create an account in the database? In most LDAP implementations, it is possible to query whether a user exists after you are "bound" using your own account and password.

The use case is that we already know the users who have to be given specific rights, and would like to grant them the right permission before they login rather than after.

Regards,
Shiva

Re: How to add new users before they login?

Shiva Shankar
Hi
I searched but couldn't find anything on this on the forums. Assuming that this is probably not possible at present, I will open a JIRA issue for enhancement.
Shiva

shivshan wrote
Hi
When using LDAP authentication, is it possible to add users manually before they login for the first time? Is there some way for XWiki to validate that the user exists in LDAP so that it can create an account in the database? In most LDAP implementations, it is possible to query whether a user exists after you are "bound" using your own account and password.

The use case is that we already know the users who have to be given specific rights, and would like to grant them the right permission before they login rather than after.

Regards,
Shiva

Re: How to add new users before they login?

I know there are some existing scripts for this and Thomas has some
that should be put on xwiki.org in the code zone.

Right now the only one I know is in the Snippets area of the code zone
(xwiki.org is down right now so can't give you the link but you can
browse the list).

-Vincent

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I know there are some existing scripts for this and Thomas has some
> that should be put on xwiki.org in the code zone.

No I don't but Raffaello made a Groovy script to import a whole LDAP
server users which is certainly the one in Snippets area. I doubt we
have anything else....

Anyway we should provide a LDAP application in XE or as separate
application/plugin couple so create a JIRA issue is a good idea and
will permit people to vote for it.

On May 27, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Vincent Massol
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I know there are some existing scripts for this and Thomas has some
>> that should be put on xwiki.org in the code zone.
>
> No I don't but Raffaello made a Groovy script to import a whole LDAP
> server users which is certainly the one in Snippets area.

Ah right it's there already, had forgotten it was there:
http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Snippets/ImportUsersFromLDAPSnippet

The other one I mentioned was:
http://cod​e.xwiki.or​g/xwiki/bi​n/view/Sni​ppets/Crea​
te200Dummy​UsersSnipp​et

> I doubt we
> have anything else....
>
> Anyway we should provide a LDAP application in XE or as separate
> application/plugin couple so create a JIRA issue is a good idea and
> will permit people to vote for it.

and to submit patches to implement it! :)

>> Right now the only one I know is in the Snippets area of the code
>> zone
>> (xwiki.org is down right now so can't give you the link but you can
>> browse the list).
>>
>> -Vincent
>>
>> On May 27, 2008, at 9:44 AM, shivshan wrote:
>>

>>> Hi
>>> I searched but couldn't find anything on this on the forums.
>>> Assuming that
>>> this is probably not possible at present, I will open a JIRA issue
>>> for
>>> enhancement.