How to avoid nested space?

kirbyzhou
How to avoid nested space?

Since the new nested space feature, a lot of nested space such as "XXX.YYY" appears in the "Space List" in my home page.
If I want to create a sub page, a new nested space created silently. It becomes more and more, and bothers our users.

I want keep the original simple one level space and documents tree model instead of the new nested space model. How can I get it?

Re: How to avoid nested space?

Hi KirbY,

On 22 Dec 2015 at 21:27:47, KirbY ZhoU ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> How to avoid nested space?
>
> Since the new nested space feature, a lot of nested space such as "XXX.YYY" appears in the "Space List" in my home page.
> If I want to create a sub page, a new nested space created silently. It becomes more and more, and bothers our users.
>
> I want keep the original simple one level space and documents tree model instead of the new nested space model. How can I get it?

The issue is that you haven’t upgraded your home page (the dashboard I presume). We have replaced the Space widget with a Documents widget. Normally, when you have upgrade you should have had the Distribution Wizard kicking in and updating the default wiki pages. Please let us know what you’ve done when the Distribution Wizard has executed.

The notion of Spaces has been removed starting with XWiki 7.2+

Please see http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization

The introduction of Nested Spaces is a large change and we wish to make it as seamless as possible to our users. Please let us know any issue you see and we’ll try to help you and see if we can improve things by default so that other users have less problems upgrading.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Re: How to avoid nested space?

The default dashboard is located in Dashboard.WebHome. When you upgraded you should have had the Distribution Wizard upgrade that page. Was that the case? Could you check the history for that page?

Now two things could have happened:

1) you overwrote the changes brought by the Distribution Wizard by importing old versions of pages from your previous wiki. If you’ve done that then you’ve most likely broken the upgrade process since you’ve removed all the upgrades that were required to all default wiki pages! :) See http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade for the canonical way of upgrading an XWiki instance. If you’ve done that I suggest that you redo the upgrade.

2) you have modified Dashboard.WebHome. If this is the case then you’ll need to update your version to use the {{documentTree}} macro instead of the spaces macro.

As I’ve mentioned already in my reply the notion of Spaces have been removed from the UI (I’ve linked you to some page with the explanation, have you been able to read that page? was it clear? should we improve things there with more explanations?).

Thanks
Hope it helps,
-Vincent

On 23 Dec 2015 at 12:19:45, KirbY ZhoU ([hidden email]) wrote:

I belived that I have use the space widget version 7.3.
I created a new Xwiki-7.3, and then import the old spaces one by one, excluding 'Main', 'XWiki' and all spaces coming with Xwiki default pages.

I just want to get a simple space list.

发件人: Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> 代表 "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
日期: 2015年12月23日 星期三 上午4:41
至: XWiki Users <[hidden email]>
抄送: KirbY ZhoU <[hidden email]>
主题: Re: [xwiki-users] How to avoid nested space?

On 5 Jan 2016 at 10:09:27, KirbY ZhoU ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Sorry for reply so later, I have taken a vacation for days.

Hope you had some nice holidays! :)

> Actually, I modified Dashboard.WebHome after upgrade, and use {{spaces}} macro which comes from 7.3 release.
> Now I replace {{spaces}} with {{documentTree}}, but I have some little problem.
> 1. I want to avoid "xxx more", but limit=100 do not work.
> 2. I want to limit the tree level, but I have no idea.

All documentation for the tree macro can be found at
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Document+Tree+Macro

AFAIK there’s currently no way to configure how many items to display before “xxx more” appears. @Marius: is that correct? It seems it would be useful to have this in the future if that’s the case. WDYT? Do we have a jira issue about it already?

I’m not sure what’s your use case for point 2. I guess you mean limit the hierarchy but it seems it would prevent users from navigating correctly so I’m not sure what’s the use case.

> [...]
> >
> > The issue is that you haven’t upgraded your home page (the dashboard I presume). We have replaced the Space widget with a Documents widget. Normally, when you have upgrade you should have had the Distribution Wizard kicking in and updating the default wiki pages. Please let us know what you’ve done when the Distribution Wizard has executed.
> >
> > The notion of Spaces has been removed starting with XWiki 7.2+
> >
> > Please see http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization
> >
> > The introduction of Nested Spaces is a large change and we wish to make it as seamless as possible to our users. Please let us know any issue you see and we’ll try to help you and see if we can improve things by default so that other users have less problems upgrading.

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 2:35 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>

> On 5 Jan 2016 at 10:09:27, KirbY ZhoU ([hidden email](mailto:
> [hidden email])) wrote:
>
> > Sorry for reply so later, I have taken a vacation for days.
>
> Hope you had some nice holidays! :)
>
> > Actually, I modified Dashboard.WebHome after upgrade, and use {{spaces}}
> macro which comes from 7.3 release.
> > Now I replace {{spaces}} with {{documentTree}}, but I have some little
> problem.
> > 1. I want to avoid "xxx more", but limit=100 do not work.
> > 2. I want to limit the tree level, but I have no idea.
>
> All documentation for the tree macro can be found at
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Document+Tree+Macro
>

> AFAIK there’s currently no way to configure how many items to display
> before “xxx more” appears. @Marius: is that correct? It seems it would be
> useful to have this in the future if that’s the case. WDYT? Do we have a
> jira issue about it already?

There is an internal "limit" parameter available since 7.3RC1, as I
mentioned on
http://lists.xwiki.org/pipermail/users/2015-December/031746.html . It
doesn't appear in the documentation because I haven't made it public yet
(with a XWiki.WikiMacroParameterClass object) but it can be used.

{{documentTree limit="3" /}}

> [...]
> model instead of the new nested space model. How can I get it?
> > >
> > > The issue is that you haven’t upgraded your home page (the dashboard I
> presume). We have replaced the Space widget with a Documents widget.
> Normally, when you have upgrade you should have had the Distribution Wizard
> kicking in and updating the default wiki pages. Please let us know what
> you’ve done when the Distribution Wizard has executed.
> > >
> > > The notion of Spaces has been removed starting with XWiki 7.2+
> > >
> > > Please see
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization
> > >
> > > The introduction of Nested Spaces is a large change and we wish to
> make it as seamless as possible to our users. Please let us know any issue
> you see and we’ll try to help you and see if we can improve things by
> default so that other users have less problems upgrading.

Re: How to avoid nested space?

On 5 Jan 2016 at 14:29:11, Marius Dumitru Florea ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 2:35 PM, [hidden email]
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 5 Jan 2016 at 10:09:27, KirbY ZhoU ([hidden email](mailto:
> > [hidden email])) wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry for reply so later, I have taken a vacation for days.
> >
> > Hope you had some nice holidays! :)
> >
> > > Actually, I modified Dashboard.WebHome after upgrade, and use {{spaces}}
> > macro which comes from 7.3 release.
> > > Now I replace {{spaces}} with {{documentTree}}, but I have some little
> > problem.
> > > 1. I want to avoid "xxx more", but limit=100 do not work.
> > > 2. I want to limit the tree level, but I have no idea.
> >
> > All documentation for the tree macro can be found at
> > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Document+Tree+Macro
> >

> > AFAIK there’s currently no way to configure how many items to display
> > before “xxx more” appears. @Marius: is that correct? It seems it would be
> > useful to have this in the future if that’s the case. WDYT? Do we have a
> > jira issue about it already?
> >

> There is an internal "limit" parameter available since 7.3RC1, as I
> mentioned on
> http://lists.xwiki.org/pipermail/users/2015-December/031746.html . It
> doesn't appear in the documentation because I haven't made it public yet
> (with a XWiki.WikiMacroParameterClass object) but it can be used.
>
> {{documentTree limit="3" /}}

ok thanks I had forgotten. However KirbY mentioned that it didn’t work when he tried it.

@KirbY: have you used it in the way Marius described above?

> > I’m not sure what’s your use case for point 2. I guess you mean limit the
> > hierarchy but it seems it would prevent users from navigating correctly so
> > I’m not sure what’s the use case.

> > > 发件人: Vincent Massol 代表 "[hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])"
> > > 日期: 2015年12月23日 星期三 下午7:35
> > > 至: KirbY ZhoU , XWiki Users
> > > 主题: Re: [xwiki-users] How to avoid nested space?
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The default dashboard is located in Dashboard.WebHome. When you upgraded
> > you should have had the Distribution Wizard upgrade that page. Was that the
> > case? Could you check the history for that page?
> > >
> > > Now two things could have happened:
> > >
> > > 1) you overwrote the changes brought by the Distribution Wizard by
> > importing old versions of pages from your previous wiki. If you’ve done
> > that then you’ve most likely broken the upgrade process since you’ve
> > removed all the upgrades that were required to all default wiki pages! :)
> > See http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade for the
> > canonical way of upgrading an XWiki instance. If you’ve done that I suggest
> > that you redo the upgrade.
> > >
> > > 2) you have modified Dashboard.WebHome. If this is the case then you’ll
> > need to update your version to use the {{documentTree}} macro instead of
> > the spaces macro.
> > >
> > > As I’ve mentioned already in my reply the notion of Spaces have been
> > removed from the UI (I’ve linked you to some page with the explanation,
> > have you been able to read that page? was it clear? should we improve
> > things there with more explanations?).
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Hope it helps,
> > > -Vincent

> > excluding 'Main', 'XWiki' and all spaces coming with Xwiki default pages.

> > "XXX.YYY" appears in the "Space List" in my home page.
> > It becomes more and more, and bothers our users.

> > model instead of the new nested space model. How can I get it?

> > presume). We have replaced the Space widget with a Documents widget.
> > Normally, when you have upgrade you should have had the Distribution Wizard
> > kicking in and updating the default wiki pages. Please let us know what
> > you’ve done when the Distribution Wizard has executed.

> > http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization

> > make it as seamless as possible to our users. Please let us know any issue
> > you see and we’ll try to help you and see if we can improve things by
> > default so that other users have less problems upgrading.

Re: How to avoid nested space?

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 3:33 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2016 at 14:29:11, Marius Dumitru Florea (
> [hidden email](mailto:[hidden email]))
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 2:35 PM, [hidden email]
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > Hope you had some nice holidays! :)

> {{spaces}}
> > > macro which comes from 7.3 release.
> little
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > All documentation for the tree macro can be found at
> > >
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Document+Tree+Macro
> > >

> > > AFAIK there’s currently no way to configure how many items to display
> > > before “xxx more” appears. @Marius: is that correct? It seems it would
> be
> > > useful to have this in the future if that’s the case. WDYT? Do we have
> > > jira issue about it already?
> > >

> > There is an internal "limit" parameter available since 7.3RC1, as I
> > mentioned on
> > http://lists.xwiki.org/pipermail/users/2015-December/031746.html . It
> > doesn't appear in the documentation because I haven't made it public yet
> > (with a XWiki.WikiMacroParameterClass object) but it can be used.
> >
> > {{documentTree limit="3" /}}
>

> ok thanks I had forgotten. However KirbY mentioned that it didn’t work
> when he tried it.

I just tried on 8.0-SNAPSHOT and it woks for me.

> @KirbY: have you used it in the way Marius described above?

> > > I’m not sure what’s your use case for point 2. I guess you mean limit
> the
> > > hierarchy but it seems it would prevent users from navigating
> correctly so
> > > I’m not sure what’s the use case.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> )"

> upgraded
> > > you should have had the Distribution Wizard upgrade that page. Was
> that the
> > > case? Could you check the history for that page?

> > > importing old versions of pages from your previous wiki. If you’ve done
> > > that then you’ve most likely broken the upgrade process since you’ve
> > > removed all the upgrades that were required to all default wiki pages!
> :)
> > > See http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade for
> the
> > > canonical way of upgrading an XWiki instance. If you’ve done that I
> suggest
> > > that you redo the upgrade.

> you’ll
> > > need to update your version to use the {{documentTree}} macro instead
> of
> > > the spaces macro.

> > > removed from the UI (I’ve linked you to some page with the explanation,
> > > have you been able to read that page? was it clear? should we improve
> > > things there with more explanations?).

> one,
> > > excluding 'Main', 'XWiki' and all spaces coming with Xwiki default
> pages.

> [hidden email])"

> (mailto:

> > > "XXX.YYY" appears in the "Space List" in my home page.
> silently.
> > > It becomes more and more, and bothers our users.

> tree
> > > model instead of the new nested space model. How can I get it?

> dashboard I
> > > presume). We have replaced the Space widget with a Documents widget.
> > > Normally, when you have upgrade you should have had the Distribution
> Wizard
> > > kicking in and updating the default wiki pages. Please let us know what
> > > you’ve done when the Distribution Wizard has executed.

> > > http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization

> > > make it as seamless as possible to our users. Please let us know any
> issue
> > > you see and we’ll try to help you and see if we can improve things by
> > > default so that other users have less problems upgrading.

Re: How to avoid nested space?

kirbyzhou
I have tried this below on 7.3-release.
{{documentTree compact="true" showTranslations="false" showAttachments="false" root="wiki:xwiki" limit="200" /}}
But “limit” do not works.

在 16/1/5 下午9:35,“users 代表 Marius Dumitru Florea”<[hidden email] 代表 [hidden email]> 写入:

>On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 3:33 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>

>> On 5 Jan 2016 at 14:29:11, Marius Dumitru Florea (
>> [hidden email](mailto:[hidden email]))
>> wrote:

>> {{spaces}}
>> little

>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Document+Tree+Macro

>> be
>> > >

>> > There is an internal "limit" parameter available since 7.3RC1, as I
>> > mentioned on
>> > http://lists.xwiki.org/pipermail/users/2015-December/031746.html . It
>> > doesn't appear in the documentation because I haven't made it public yet
>> > (with a XWiki.WikiMacroParameterClass object) but it can be used.
>> >
>> > {{documentTree limit="3" /}}
>>

>> ok thanks I had forgotten. However KirbY mentioned that it didn’t work
>> when he tried it.
>>

>I just tried on 8.0-SNAPSHOT and it woks for me.
>

>> @KirbY: have you used it in the way Marius described above?

>> the
>> correctly so

>> )"

>> upgraded
>> that the

>> :)
>> the
>> suggest

>> you’ll
>> of

>> one,
>> pages.

>> [hidden email])"

>> (mailto:

>> silently.

>> tree

>> dashboard I
>> Wizard

>> issue

Re: How to avoid nested space?

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Zhou Tianling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have tried this below on 7.3-release.
> {{documentTree compact="true" showTranslations="false"
> showAttachments="false" root="wiki:xwiki" limit="200" /}}
> But “limit” do not works.

Indeed, I just tested on 7.3, but you can quickly fix it by editing the
XWiki.DocumentTreeConfig page with the wiki editor and replace

  'showRoot': false

with

  'showRoot': false,
  'limit': 15

(i.e. declare de 'limit' configuration parameter and its default value)

Hope this helps,
Marius

> 在 16/1/5 下午9:35,“users 代表 Marius Dumitru Florea”<[hidden email]
> 代表 [hidden email]> 写入:
>
> >On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 3:33 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> >wrote:
> >

> >> On 5 Jan 2016 at 14:29:11, Marius Dumitru Florea (
> >> [hidden email](mailto:[hidden email]))

> >> {{spaces}}
> >> little

> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Document+Tree+Macro

> display
> would
> >> be
> have

> yet

> >> ok thanks I had forgotten. However KirbY mentioned that it didn’t work
> >> when he tried it.
> >>

> >I just tried on 8.0-SNAPSHOT and it woks for me.
> >

> >> @KirbY: have you used it in the way Marius described above?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

> limit
> >> the
> >> correctly so

> [hidden email]
> >> )"

> >> upgraded
> >> that the

> done
> pages!
> >> :)
> >> the
> >> suggest

> >> you’ll
> instead
> >> of

> been
> explanation,
> improve

> (mailto:

> >> one,
> >> pages.

> >> [hidden email])"

> >> (mailto:

> such as
> >> silently.

> >> tree

> >> dashboard I
> >> Wizard
> what

> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization

> >> issue
> by

Re: How to avoid nested space?

kirbyzhou
Thanks very much, it works now.

How about the plan of the 2 more feature?
1. Limit document tree depth to N.
2. Default expand tree to level M.

在 16/1/6 下午2:08,“users 代表 Marius Dumitru Florea”<[hidden email] 代表 [hidden email]> 写入:

>On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Zhou Tianling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have tried this below on 7.3-release.
>> {{documentTree compact="true" showTranslations="false"
>> showAttachments="false" root="wiki:xwiki" limit="200" /}}
>> But “limit” do not works.
>>

>Indeed, I just tested on 7.3, but you can quickly fix it by editing the
>XWiki.DocumentTreeConfig page with the wiki editor and replace
>
>  'showRoot': false
>
>with
>
>  'showRoot': false,
>  'limit': 15
>
>(i.e. declare de 'limit' configuration parameter and its default value)
>
>Hope this helps,
>Marius
>

>> 在 16/1/5 下午9:35,“users 代表 Marius Dumitru Florea”<[hidden email]
>> 代表 [hidden email]> 写入:

>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Document+Tree+Macro

>> display
>> would
>> have

>> yet

>> >I just tried on 8.0-SNAPSHOT and it woks for me.

>> limit

>> [hidden email]

>> done
>> pages!

>> instead

>> been
>> explanation,
>> improve

>> (mailto:

>> such as

>> what

>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization

>> by

Re: How to avoid nested space?

kirbyzhou
Sorry for trouble again, I have upgrade to 7.4.3 now.
But I still cannot see "limit" option in "Add Gadget" dialog / "Page Tree" macro.
How can I add the option into this dialog?

在 16/1/6 下午2:08,“users 代表 Marius Dumitru Florea”<[hidden email] 代表 [hidden email]> 写入:

>On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Zhou Tianling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have tried this below on 7.3-release.
>> {{documentTree compact="true" showTranslations="false"
>> showAttachments="false" root="wiki:xwiki" limit="200" /}}
>> But “limit” do not works.
>>

>Indeed, I just tested on 7.3, but you can quickly fix it by editing the
>XWiki.DocumentTreeConfig page with the wiki editor and replace
>
>  'showRoot': false
>
>with
>
>  'showRoot': false,
>  'limit': 15
>
>(i.e. declare de 'limit' configuration parameter and its default value)
>
>Hope this helps,
>Marius
>

>> 在 16/1/5 下午9:35,“users 代表 Marius Dumitru Florea”<[hidden email]
>> 代表 [hidden email]> 写入:

>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Document+Tree+Macro

>> display
>> would
>> have

>> yet

>> >I just tried on 8.0-SNAPSHOT and it woks for me.

>> limit

>> [hidden email]

>> done
>> pages!

>> instead

>> been
>> explanation,
>> improve

>> (mailto:

>> such as

>> what

>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization

>> by

Re: How to avoid nested space?

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 7:11 AM, KirbY ZhoU <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for trouble again, I have upgrade to 7.4.3 now.
> But I still cannot see "limit" option in "Add Gadget" dialog / "Page Tree"
> macro.
>

> How can I add the option into this dialog?

You need XWiki 8.1M2 http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-13298 or you can
try to back-port the changes
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/commit/038e36e94e908d47c0b4bb9f96cf62c881258b9d
.