How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

xrichard
Hi,

I want to activate Google Analytics for my Wiki.

I have added the Google tracking code in the admin as described here: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotesXWikiEnterprise32M3#HEasieractivationandconfigurationofGoogleAnalytics.

Is there other things to do? Because I do not see the tracking code in the HTML source of my wiki pages.

best regards,

PS: running XWiki 4.5.3.

Re: How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

You are not going to see it in the html of your page, it's supposed to
be pulled by

<script type='text/javascript'
src='/xwiki/bin/jsx/XWiki/GoogleAnalyticsCode' defer='defer'></script>

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM, xrichard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to activate Google Analytics for my Wiki.
>
> I have added the Google tracking code in the admin as described here:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotesXWikiEnterprise32M3#HEasieractivationandconfigurationofGoogleAnalytics.
>
> Is there other things to do? Because I do not see the tracking code in the
> HTML source of my wiki pages.
>
> best regards,
>
> PS: running XWiki 4.5.3.

Re: How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

xrichard
Ok thanks.

I have added the tracking ID for GA in the admin of the wiki 2 days ago but
there are still no data displayed in GA.

The javascript indicated below is available on the Wiki at url
http://xxx/xwiki/bin/jsx/XWiki/GoogleAnalyticsCode (this url displays the script
including my Google ID).
Can I check someting else ?
Is there a "cache" or should I "just" wait?

Best regards,

Le 22/11/2013 08:14, Thomas Mortagne a écrit :

> You are not going to see it in the html of your page, it's supposed to
> be pulled by
>
> <script type='text/javascript'
> src='/xwiki/bin/jsx/XWiki/GoogleAnalyticsCode' defer='defer'></script>
>
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM, xrichard<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to activate Google Analytics for my Wiki.
>>
>> I have added the Google tracking code in the admin as described here:
>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotesXWikiEnterprise32M3#HEasieractivationandconfigurationofGoogleAnalytics.
>>
>> Is there other things to do? Because I do not see the tracking code in the
>> HTML source of my wiki pages.
>>
>> best regards,
>>
>> PS: running XWiki 4.5.3.

Re: How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

xrichard
Hi,

Some other info for the community to help me solve this issue:
- I have checked my google analytics account : yet it is set to "classic" (and
not "universal") => the same in the Google Analytics admin page in the Wiki
- Google analystics state "Tracking Not Installed"
- I've found in a previous discussion 2 more info :
         . check
/xwiki/bin/edit/XWiki/GoogleAnalyticsCode?editor=object&classname=XWiki.JavaScriptExtension&object=0
; and make sure that the "Use this extension" value is set to "Always" => that's
Okay
         . if it is already, then you should restart the server => my wiki is
"hosted" I can not do this restart.

regards,

Le 22/11/2013 21:00, Ldm Public a écrit :

> Ok thanks.
>
> I have added the tracking ID for GA in the admin of the wiki 2 days ago but
> there are still no data displayed in GA.
>
> The javascript indicated below is available on the Wiki at url
> http://xxx/xwiki/bin/jsx/XWiki/GoogleAnalyticsCode (this url displays the
> script including my Google ID).
> Can I check something else ?
> Is there a "cache" or should I "just" wait?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Le 22/11/2013 08:14, Thomas Mortagne a écrit :
>> You are not going to see it in the html of your page, it's supposed to
>> be pulled by
>>
>> <script type='text/javascript'
>> src='/xwiki/bin/jsx/XWiki/GoogleAnalyticsCode' defer='defer'></script>
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM, xrichard<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to activate Google Analytics for my Wiki.
>>>
>>> I have added the Google tracking code in the admin as described here:
>>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotesXWikiEnterprise32M3#HEasieractivationandconfigurationofGoogleAnalytics.
>>>
>>> Is there other things to do? Because I do not see the tracking code in the
>>> HTML source of my wiki pages.
>>>
>>> best regards,
>>>
>>> PS: running XWiki 4.5.3.

Re: How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

Valdis Vītoliņš
Try to re-save settings in object editor mode, or import this page from
the XAR file.

Valdis

> Hi,
>
> Some other info for the community to help me solve this issue:
> - I have checked my google analytics account : yet it is set to "classic" (and
> not "universal") => the same in the Google Analytics admin page in the Wiki
> - Google analystics state "Tracking Not Installed"
> - I've found in a previous discussion 2 more info :
>          . check
> /xwiki/bin/edit/XWiki/GoogleAnalyticsCode?editor=object&classname=XWiki.JavaScriptExtension&object=0
> ; and make sure that the "Use this extension" value is set to "Always" => that's
> Okay
>          . if it is already, then you should restart the server => my wiki is
> "hosted" I can not do this restart.
>
> regards,
>
> Le 22/11/2013 21:00, Ldm Public a écrit :
> > Ok thanks.
> >
> > I have added the tracking ID for GA in the admin of the wiki 2 days ago but
> > there are still no data displayed in GA.
> >
> > The javascript indicated below is available on the Wiki at url
> > http://xxx/xwiki/bin/jsx/XWiki/GoogleAnalyticsCode (this url displays the
> > script including my Google ID).
> > Can I check something else ?
> > Is there a "cache" or should I "just" wait?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Le 22/11/2013 08:14, Thomas Mortagne a écrit :
> >> You are not going to see it in the html of your page, it's supposed to
> >> be pulled by
> >>
> >> <script type='text/javascript'
> >> src='/xwiki/bin/jsx/XWiki/GoogleAnalyticsCode' defer='defer'></script>

Re: How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

xrichard
re-save of page :
xwiki/bin/edit/XWiki/GoogleAnalyticsCode?editor=object&classname=XWiki.JavaScriptExtension&object=0
done yesterday.

No change in my google analytics account: status is still "Tracking Not Installed" ;-(.

regards,

Le 22/11/2013 21:53, Valdis Vi-tolin,s( a écrit :

> Try to re-save settings in object editor mode, or import this page from
> the XAR file.
>
> Valdis
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some other info for the community to help me solve this issue:
>> - I have checked my google analytics account : yet it is set to "classic" (and
>> not "universal") => the same in the Google Analytics admin page in the Wiki
>> - Google analystics state "Tracking Not Installed"
>> - I've found in a previous discussion 2 more info :
>>           . check
>> /xwiki/bin/edit/XWiki/GoogleAnalyticsCode?editor=object&classname=XWiki.JavaScriptExtension&object=0
>> ; and make sure that the "Use this extension" value is set to "Always" => that's
>> Okay
>>           . if it is already, then you should restart the server => my wiki is
>> "hosted" I can not do this restart.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Le 22/11/2013 21:00, Ldm Public a écrit :
>>> Ok thanks.
>>>
>>> I have added the tracking ID for GA in the admin of the wiki 2 days ago but
>>> there are still no data displayed in GA.
>>>
>>> The javascript indicated below is available on the Wiki at url
>>> http://xxx/xwiki/bin/jsx/XWiki/GoogleAnalyticsCode (this url displays the
>>> script including my Google ID).
>>> Can I check something else ?
>>> Is there a "cache" or should I "just" wait?
>>>
>>> Best regards,

Re: How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

xrichard
Hi,

One more question before I (may) give up: is there anyone who managed to make Google Analystics works for a Wiki hosted on myxwiki.org ?

Thanks for your answers,

Re: How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

Valdis Vītoliņš
I have used GA only on locally hosted XWiki instaces.
Maybe there is something wrong on myxwiki.org?

Valdis

On 11/27/2013 04:49 PM, xrichard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One more question before I (may) give up: is there anyone who managed to
> make Google Analystics works for a Wiki hosted on myxwiki.org ?
>
> Thanks for your answers,

Oh, if this is about enabling GA on myxwiki.org, then the issue is very
simple: only extensions saved by users with programming rights can be
used in the whole wiki. A farm admin will have to re-save the GA
settings page for you. Which wiki are you referring to?
http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

xrichard
Hi,

The Wiki is http://tutos.myxwiki.org <http://tutos.myxwiki.org/>.

I'm really not able to perform this operation by myself ? (ie to gain
programming rights for user xrichard ?).

Thanks,

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Ldm Public <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Wiki is http://tutos.myxwiki.org <http://tutos.myxwiki.org/>.
>
> I'm really not able to perform this operation by myself ? (ie to gain
> programming rights for user xrichard ?).
>
> Thanks,
>

> Le 28/11/2013 23:59, Sergiu Dumitriu a écrit :
>
>> On 11/27/2013 04:49 PM, xrichard wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> One more question before I (may) give up: is there anyone who managed to
>>> make Google Analystics works for a Wiki hosted on myxwiki.org ?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your answers,
>>>
>> Oh, if this is about enabling GA on myxwiki.org, then the issue is very
>> simple: only extensions saved by users with programming rights can be
>> used in the whole wiki. A farm admin will have to re-save the GA
>> settings page for you. Which wiki are you referring to?

Shouldn’t it be admin right for the wiki (and PR for the farm) like
wiki macros and translations ? Sounds like too strong restriction to
me.

Re: How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

Valdis Vītoliņš
Workaround for this could be personalized Skin:
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/Skins

Leave everything else empty, but for footer add GA code somewhere at the
end of original one (from XWiki 5.2):

#if($isInServletMode)## Visible only in a page
<hr/>
  #set ($version = $xwiki.getSpacePreference('version'))
  #if ("$!version" == "")
    #set ($version = $xwiki.getXWikiPreference("version"))
  #end
  #if ("$!version" != "")
    #set ($version = $xwiki.parseContent($version))
  #else
    #set ($version = $!xwiki.version)
  #end
<hr/>

## Put GA JavaScript here ##

#end
### TODO: Format the footer for pdf output

Or, harder (not sure, what will happen after myxwiki.org update then)
but more appropriate way would be adding htmlfooter property to
XWiki.XWikiSkins class, and similarly changing original code:

## put GA code here ##

#if($isInServletMode)
#else ## Portlet Mode
#end

Valdis

> On 11/27/2013 04:49 PM, xrichard wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > One more question before I (may) give up: is there anyone who managed to
> > make Google Analystics works for a Wiki hosted on myxwiki.org ?
> >
> > Thanks for your answers,
> >

> Oh, if this is about enabling GA on myxwiki.org, then the issue is very
> simple: only extensions saved by users with programming rights can be
> used in the whole wiki. A farm admin will have to re-save the GA
> settings page for you. Which wiki are you referring to?

Re: How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

xrichard
Ok thanks for the answer.

I would really appreciated if some admin can kindly save the GA settings page
for me on http://tutos.myxwiki.org <http://tutos.myxwiki.org/> to enable GA
tracking once for all.

The reason of this request to farm admins is that I have already tried to made
custom changes to skin (I wanted to change some vm content following a tutorial)
but unfortunatly I didn't managed to make it work ;-(, see my attempt and call
for help here:
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Forum;jsessionid=0A377BB0F73EBD2EA1906F571BEE5868

best regards,

On 29 Nov 2013 at 23:15:11, Ldm Public ([hidden email]) wrote:

Ok thanks for the answer.

I would really appreciated if some admin can kindly save the GA settings page
for me on http://tutos.myxwiki.org <http://tutos.myxwiki.org/> to enable GA
tracking once for all.
I’ve saved the XWikiPreferences page (hope it’s the right page). Does it work now?

We really need to make this feature work on a subwiki without requiring Programming Rights...

The reason of this request to farm admins is that I have already tried to made
custom changes to skin (I wanted to change some vm content following a tutorial)
but unfortunatly I didn't managed to make it work ;-(, see my attempt and call
for help here:
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Forum;jsessionid=0A377BB0F73EBD2EA1906F571BEE5868

best regards,

Le 29/11/2013 11:51, Valdis Vi-tolin,s( a écrit :

> Workaround for this could be personalized Skin:
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/Skins

> Leave everything else empty, but for footer add GA code somewhere at the
> end of original one (from XWiki 5.2):

> #if($isInServletMode)## Visible only in a page
> <hr/>
> #set ($version = $xwiki.getSpacePreference('version'))
> #if ("$!version" == "")
> #set ($version = $xwiki.getXWikiPreference("version"))
> #end
> #if ("$!version" != "")
> #set ($version = $xwiki.parseContent($version))
> #else
> #set ($version = $!xwiki.version)
> #end
> <hr/>

> ## Put GA JavaScript here ##

> #end
> ### TODO: Format the footer for pdf output

> Or, harder (not sure, what will happen after myxwiki.org update then)
> but more appropriate way would be adding htmlfooter property to
> XWiki.XWikiSkins class, and similarly changing original code:

> ## put GA code here ##

> #if($isInServletMode)
> #else ## Portlet Mode
> #end

> Valdis

>> On 11/27/2013 04:49 PM, xrichard wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> One more question before I (may) give up: is there anyone who managed to
>>> make Google Analystics works for a Wiki hosted on myxwiki.org ?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your answers,
>>>
>> Oh, if this is about enabling GA on myxwiki.org, then the issue is very
>> simple: only extensions saved by users with programming rights can be
>> used in the whole wiki. A farm admin will have to re-save the GA
>> settings page for you. Which wiki are you referring to?

Re: How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

xrichard
Thanks, I think it's the correct page
(http://tuto.cloud.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/admin/XWiki/XWikiPreferences?editor=globaladmin&section=analytics)

I will tell you if it's okay, yet there is nothing in GA under "real time".

Best regards,

On 11/29/2013 02:58 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Ldm Public <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The Wiki is http://tutos.myxwiki.org <http://tutos.myxwiki.org/>.
>>
>> I'm really not able to perform this operation by myself ? (ie to gain
>> programming rights for user xrichard ?).

Not really, since programming rights are global and affect all the wikis
in the farm (and allow access to the underlying machine), so it's not
something that should be granted easily.

>> Thanks,

>>> Oh, if this is about enabling GA on myxwiki.org, then the issue is very
>>> simple: only extensions saved by users with programming rights can be
>>> used in the whole wiki. A farm admin will have to re-save the GA
>>> settings page for you. Which wiki are you referring to?
>
> Shouldn’t it be admin right for the wiki (and PR for the farm) like
> wiki macros and translations ? Sounds like too strong restriction to
> me.

Yes it should, but back when the skinx plugins were developed checking
for PR was the only security enforcement practice. It should be changed.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: How to enable Google Analytics for Xwiki?

xrichard
Understood for programming rights at the farm level.

I've monitored my GA account all day ... but bad news => no activity is tracked
:-( .

I will have a look how to add the GA tracker code with a custom skin.

Thanks for the help, best regards,