How to manually migrate a page to Nested Pages?

How to manually migrate a page to Nested Pages?

Julio
Hi,

How can I manually migrate a page to Nested Pages without using the Nested
Pages Migrator Application (it does not work on my xwiki - I waited 15
minutes and nothing happened)?

Best Regards,
Julio

Re: How to manually migrate a page to Nested Pages?

Marius Dumitru Florea
Hi Julio,

You don't need to migrate individual wiki pages. You can continue to access
and edit them as before. The Nested Pages Migrator Application is useful if
you want to migrate from the old Parent-Child *hierarchy* to the new
Nested-Pages *hierarchy*. Otherwise, if you just want to add child pages to
an existing page that is not a space home page (in the old terminology)
then you can simply rename that page in order to make it "non-terminal".
See
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/DocumentLifecycle#HMove2FRename
. There's a note there:

"And if you're an advanced user
<http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/PageEditing#HSimpleandAdvancededitingmodes>
you'll be able to also control whether the new page will be a Terminal page
(i.e. a page that cannot have children, see also Terminology
<http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization/#HTerminology>)
or not"

Hope this helps,
Marius

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 10:03 PM, Julio Brum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I manually migrate a page to Nested Pages without using the Nested
> Pages Migrator Application (it does not work on my xwiki - I waited 15
> minutes and nothing happened)?
>

> Best Regards,
> Julio

Re: How to manually migrate a page to Nested Pages?

Julio
In practice, the only problem of not migrating to Nested Pages is that a
page may have a different breadcrumb path than the URL path. Migrating to
Nested Pages, the URL path remains the same as the breadcrumb. It is?

Best Regards,
Julio

[hidden email]>:

> Hi Julio,
>
> You don't need to migrate individual wiki pages. You can continue to access
> and edit them as before. The Nested Pages Migrator Application is useful if
> you want to migrate from the old Parent-Child *hierarchy* to the new
> Nested-Pages *hierarchy*. Otherwise, if you just want to add child pages to
> an existing page that is not a space home page (in the old terminology)
> then you can simply rename that page in order to make it "non-terminal".
> See
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/DocumentLifecycle#
> HMove2FRename
> . There's a note there:
>
> "And if you're an advanced user
> <http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/PageEditing#
> HSimpleandAdvancededitingmodes>
> you'll be able to also control whether the new page will be a Terminal page
> (i.e. a page that cannot have children, see also Terminology
> <http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization/#
> HTerminology>)
> or not"
>
> Hope this helps,
> Marius
>
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 10:03 PM, Julio Brum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > How can I manually migrate a page to Nested Pages without using the
> Nested
> > Pages Migrator Application (it does not work on my xwiki - I waited 15
> > minutes and nothing happened)?
> >

> > Best Regards,
> > Julio

Re: How to manually migrate a page to Nested Pages?

The only difference between final and nested page visually is that, as
the name suggest, the final pages are not supposed to have children.
On the technical/script/API side the difference is that nested page
documents real names always ends with ".WebHome" suffix (i.e. it's the
home document of a space while final pages are just actual documents).

How the breadcrumb is generated is controlled by a preference (which
match the URL by default) and it has nothing to do with final vs
nested page.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:04 AM, Julio Brum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In practice, the only problem of not migrating to Nested Pages is that a
> page may have a different breadcrumb path than the URL path. Migrating to
> Nested Pages, the URL path remains the same as the breadcrumb. It is?
>
> Best Regards,
> Julio

> [hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi Julio,
>>
>> You don't need to migrate individual wiki pages. You can continue to access
>> and edit them as before. The Nested Pages Migrator Application is useful if
>> you want to migrate from the old Parent-Child *hierarchy* to the new
>> Nested-Pages *hierarchy*. Otherwise, if you just want to add child pages to
>> an existing page that is not a space home page (in the old terminology)
>> then you can simply rename that page in order to make it "non-terminal".
>> See
>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/DocumentLifecycle#
>> HMove2FRename
>> . There's a note there:
>>
>> "And if you're an advanced user
>> <http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/PageEditing#
>> HSimpleandAdvancededitingmodes>
>> you'll be able to also control whether the new page will be a Terminal page
>> (i.e. a page that cannot have children, see also Terminology
>> <http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization/#
>> HTerminology>)
>> or not"
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Marius
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 10:03 PM, Julio Brum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > How can I manually migrate a page to Nested Pages without using the
>> Nested
>> > Pages Migrator Application (it does not work on my xwiki - I waited 15
>> > minutes and nothing happened)?
>> >

>> > Best Regards,
>> > Julio

Re: How to manually migrate a page to Nested Pages?

hamiazuhk26
HI, there
I am installing xwiki 8.3 version and i am using this version to import
page, create page, forum and many more. I am thinking on how to save all my
data , afraid if something happen the data will be lost. Just found this
link but it does not really help me.

uograde

I have read some notes, and tells me to backup several files/folder but need
to do MERGE COPY INSTEAD OF PURE COPY. What is mean by merge copy? I don't
understand and don't have idea how to backup it and insert into newer
version.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 1:04 AM, Julio Brum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In practice, the only problem of not migrating to Nested Pages is that a
> page may have a different breadcrumb path than the URL path. Migrating to
> Nested Pages, the URL path remains the same as the breadcrumb. It is?

If you had this before the upgrade

Breadcrumb: Home / X / Y / B

then after the upgrade (without any migration) you have

Breadcrumb: Home / A / B

So you "loose" the parent-child hierarchy. Actually the information is not
lost, but the new breadcrumb doesn't use it. The new breadcrumb uses by
default the page location (what you have in the URL). So you have 3 options:

(1) You don't care about the old parent-child hierarchy. In this case you
don't need to do anything.
(2) You want to keep using the parent-child hierarchy. In this case you
need to read about hierarchyMode configuration in
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization/NestedPagesMigration/
(3) You want to convert / migrate the parent-child hierarchy to the
Nested-Pages hierarchy. In this case you either use the Nested Pages
Migrator, which automates this for you, or you do it manually my moving
pages around (e.g. in the example above you would move page B from A to X/Y
so that its location becomes X/Y/B).

Hope this helps,
Marius

> Best Regards,
> Julio

> [hidden email]>:
>
> > Hi Julio,
> >
> > You don't need to migrate individual wiki pages. You can continue to
> access
> > and edit them as before. The Nested Pages Migrator Application is useful
> if
> > you want to migrate from the old Parent-Child *hierarchy* to the new
> > Nested-Pages *hierarchy*. Otherwise, if you just want to add child pages
> > an existing page that is not a space home page (in the old terminology)
> > then you can simply rename that page in order to make it "non-terminal".
> > See
> > http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/DocumentLifecycle#
> > HMove2FRename
> > . There's a note there:
> >
> > "And if you're an advanced user
> > <http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/PageEditing#
> > HSimpleandAdvancededitingmodes>
> > you'll be able to also control whether the new page will be a Terminal
> page
> > (i.e. a page that cannot have children, see also Terminology
> > <http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization/#
> > HTerminology>)
> > or not"
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Marius
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 10:03 PM, Julio Brum <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > How can I manually migrate a page to Nested Pages without using the
> > Nested
> > > Pages Migrator Application (it does not work on my xwiki - I waited 15
> > > minutes and nothing happened)?
> > >

> > > Best Regards,
> > > Julio

Re: How to manually migrate a page to Nested Pages?

Thanks Marius for this detailed answer.

I’ve created a FAQ entry at http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/FAQ/Do+I+need+to+run+the+Nested+Pages+Migrator with your information since I believe this is a common question we’ve had a few times already.

> [...]
>>> HSimpleandAdvancededitingmodes>
>>> you'll be able to also control whether the new page will be a Terminal
>> page
>>> (i.e. a page that cannot have children, see also Terminology
>>> <http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization/#
>>> HTerminology>)
>>> or not"
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Marius

>>> Nested

Re: How to manually migrate a page to Nested Pages?

> On 15 Dec 2016, at 10:08, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Marius for this detailed answer.
>
> I’ve created a FAQ entry at http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/FAQ/Do+I+need+to+run+the+Nested+Pages+Migrator with your information since I believe this is a common question we’ve had a few times already.

Ideally this info should already be in the nested pages migration guide but I haven’t checked.

>> On 15 Dec 2016, at 10:01, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 1:04 AM, Julio Brum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> In practice, the only problem of not migrating to Nested Pages is that a
>>> page may have a different breadcrumb path than the URL path. Migrating to
>>> Nested Pages, the URL path remains the same as the breadcrumb. It is?
>>>

>> If you had this before the upgrade

>> Breadcrumb: Home / X / Y / B
>>
>> then after the upgrade (without any migration) you have

>> Breadcrumb: Home / A / B
>>
>> So you "loose" the parent-child hierarchy. Actually the information is not
>> lost, but the new breadcrumb doesn't use it. The new breadcrumb uses by
>> default the page location (what you have in the URL). So you have 3 options:
>>
>> (1) You don't care about the old parent-child hierarchy. In this case you
>> don't need to do anything.
>> (2) You want to keep using the parent-child hierarchy. In this case you
>> need to read about hierarchyMode configuration in
>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/ContentOrganization/NestedPagesMigration/
>> (3) You want to convert / migrate the parent-child hierarchy to the
>> Nested-Pages hierarchy. In this case you either use the Nested Pages
>> Migrator, which automates this for you, or you do it manually my moving
>> pages around (e.g. in the example above you would move page B from A to X/Y
>> so that its location becomes X/Y/B).
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Marius
>>

>>> Best Regards,
>>> Julio

>>> access
>>> if

>>> page

Re: How to manually migrate a page to Nested Pages?

Julio
Perfect! Thank you all!

Best Regards,
Julio