How to upgrade XWiki with EM?

xrichard
Hello,

Here http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade#HUpgradingwikidocuments it is stated "Starting with XWiki 4.2 you are able to use the Extension Manager to perform XAR upgrades that support automatic merges and conflict resolution."

Is it true for all XWiki versions? because I'm not able to find any "upgrade extension" in Extension Manager on myxwiki.org.

Thansk for your help,

Re: How to upgrade XWiki with EM?

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM, xrichard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade#HUpgradingwikidocuments
> it is stated "Starting with XWiki 4.2 you are able to use the Extension
> Manager to perform XAR upgrades that support automatic merges and conflict
> resolution."
>
> Is it true for all XWiki versions? because I'm not able to find any "upgrade
> extension" in Extension Manager on myxwiki.org.
>
> Thansk for your help,

There is not upgrade button yet but you can install any version you
want using "advanced search" and it's going to do an upgrade if you
already have a previous version installed.

Re: How to upgrade XWiki with EM?

xrichard
Hello,

I'm sorry but I'm completely confused about upgrade on myxwiki.org :-( .

When I enter in the Wiki admin pages I see a warning message at the top asking
me to perform an upgrade of the XAR: "*December 29: Upgraded xwiki to version
4.4-rc-1. Don't forget to upgrade your wiki with the new XAR file
<http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/org/xwiki/enterprise/xwiki-enterprise-ui-all/4.4-rc-1/xwiki-enterprise-ui-all-4.4-rc-1.xar>
(Upgrade instructions
<http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade#HUpgradingwikidocuments>).*"
Rather than importing the xar file I would prefer to use EM (Extensin Manager)
because my Wiki has already been customized and I want to manage "conflicts".

When I search with EM "standard" search, all extensions are already upgraded to
4.4-rc-1 version: for instance "XWiki Platform - Extension - Script / 4.4-rc-1 /
Installed by default" => so do I realy need to upgrade?
Due to Thomas answer (see below) I've tried to use advanced search in EM but it
doesn't show any results, what should I search for? ("4.4*" or "upgrade/" return
no results).

Also in answer below Thomas suggests that it's possible to update Wiki (on
myxwiki.org only?) to any version thru EM, for instance am I able to upgrade to
the latest xwiki-enterprise-ui-all-4.5-rc-1.xar
<http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DownloadCode/DownloadFeedback?downloadLink=http://download.forge.objectweb.org/xwiki/xwiki-enterprise-ui-all-4.5-rc-1.xar&projectType=Latest&projectVersion=4.5-rc-1&projectID=1>?

Thanks for your clarification (it's hard to be a newbie)

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM, Ldm Public <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry but I'm completely confused about upgrade on myxwiki.org :-( .
>
> When I enter in the Wiki admin pages I see a warning message at the top
> asking me to perform an upgrade of the XAR: "*December 29: Upgraded xwiki to
> version 4.4-rc-1. Don't forget to upgrade your wiki with the new XAR file
> <http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/org/xwiki/enterprise/xwiki-enterprise-ui-all/4.4-rc-1/xwiki-enterprise-ui-all-4.4-rc-1.xar>
> (Upgrade instructions
> <http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade#HUpgradingwikidocuments>).*"
> Rather than importing the xar file I would prefer to use EM (Extensin
> Manager) because my Wiki has already been customized and I want to manage
> "conflicts".
>
> When I search with EM "standard" search, all extensions are already upgraded
> to 4.4-rc-1 version: for instance "XWiki Platform - Extension - Script /
> 4.4-rc-1 / Installed by default" => so do I realy need to upgrade?
> Due to Thomas answer (see below) I've tried to use advanced search in EM but
> it doesn't show any results, what should I search for? ("4.4*" or "upgrade/"
> return no results).
>
> Also in answer below Thomas suggests that it's possible to update Wiki (on
> myxwiki.org only?) to any version thru EM, for instance am I able to upgrade
> to the latest xwiki-enterprise-ui-all-4.5-rc-1.xar
> <http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DownloadCode/DownloadFeedback?downloadLink=http://download.forge.objectweb.org/xwiki/xwiki-enterprise-ui-all-4.5-rc-1.xar&projectType=Latest&projectVersion=4.5-rc-1&projectID=1>?

There is two very different things here: the WAR containing the core
extensions and the XAR containing the UI extensions. When we upgrade
myxwiki.org we upgrade the WAR and let each wiki admin take care of
the UI (since we don't really know what they changed in their wiki and
what need to be merged). The message you see in the administration is
old and was written like this before EM even exist which is why it
does not talk about it.

The standard search only search in http://extensions.xwiki.org and XE
UI is not registered there and even if it was this search would return
you only the last version which is not what you want. Advanced search
is not fuzzy search like the standard one, you need to provide the
exact id and version of the extension you want which allow it to find
the extension on repositories for which the search is not supported
like maven repositories. In your case that would be
org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-ui-all (i.e. groupid:artifactid)
for the id and 4.4-rc-1 for the version.

> Thanks for your clarification (it's hard to be a newbie)
>

> Le 11/02/2013 09:05, Thomas Mortagne a écrit :
>
>> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM, xrichard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Here
>>>
>>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade#HUpgradingwikidocuments
>>> it is stated "Starting with XWiki 4.2 you are able to use the Extension
>>> Manager to perform XAR upgrades that support automatic merges and
>>> conflict
>>> resolution."
>>>
>>> Is it true for all XWiki versions? because I'm not able to find any
>>> "upgrade
>>> extension" in Extension Manager on myxwiki.org.
>>>
>>> Thansk for your help,
>>
>> There is not upgrade button yet but you can install any version you
>> want using "advanced search" and it's going to do an upgrade if you
>> already have a previous version installed.

Re: How to upgrade XWiki with EM?

xrichard
Thanks Thomas for this clear answer ;-).

I have performed the upgrade thru EM and everything works fine (some
customizations have been erased during the upgrade process because I'm not
familiar with XWiki structure and I didn't answered merge conflicts correctly,
for instance all my WYSIWYG Editor seetings have been dropped off ... I will do
them again).

By the way my understanding is that each time myxwiki.org will be updated I
could check the mailing list or "my" Wiki footer or the info box on top of all
admin pages to know the exact XWiki version number of the WAR and then update
the XAR accordingly has described below with EM by my own?

Regards,

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:26 AM, xrichard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Thomas for this clear answer ;-).
>
> I have performed the upgrade thru EM and everything works fine (some
> customizations have been erased during the upgrade process because I'm not
> familiar with XWiki structure and I didn't answered merge conflicts correctly,
> for instance all my WYSIWYG Editor seetings have been dropped off ... I will do
> them again).
>
> By the way my understanding is that each time myxwiki.org will be updated I
> could check the mailing list or "my" Wiki footer or the info box on top of all
> admin pages to know the exact XWiki version number of the WAR and then update
> the XAR accordingly has described below with EM by my own?

For now yes, we are currently working on making distribution wyzard
support a mode where each wiki admin is automatically asked to upgrade
his wiki.

> Regards,
>
> Le 13/02/2013 09:32, Thomas Mortagne [via XWiki] a écrit :
>> There is two very different things here: the WAR containing the core
>> extensions and the XAR containing the UI extensions. When we upgrade
>> myxwiki.org we upgrade the WAR and let each wiki admin take care of
>> the UI (since we don't really know what they changed in their wiki and
>> what need to be merged). The message you see in the administration is
>> old and was written like this before EM even exist which is why it
>> does not talk about it.
>>
>> The standard search only search in http://extensions.xwiki.org and XE
>> UI is not registered there and even if it was this search would return
>> you only the last version which is not what you want. Advanced search
>> is not fuzzy search like the standard one, you need to provide the
>> exact id and version of the extension you want which allow it to find
>> the extension on repositories for which the search is not supported
>> like maven repositories. In your case that would be
>> org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-ui-all (i.e. groupid:artifactid)
>> for the id and 4.4-rc-1 for the version.

Re: How to upgrade XWiki with EM?

xrichard
Ok thanks.

I have a last question regarding XWiki update process.

Does the XAR I have installed thru the EM / Advanced Search
"org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-ui-all" contains absolutely all XWiki
pages? Which means I can "skip" updates for some versions because next XAR
update will be a "full" update. But it also means, when I perform an update that
I'm prompted to solve conflicts for pages which are in the XAR but which, in
fact, didn't changed from an XWiki official distribution point of view (the only
changes in these pages are the changes I've performed).

Or does the upgrade process is more clever: each page has its own version and
the update process does a comparison between the current page version in my Wiki
and the one coming from the XAR before prompting to solve a confict?

To put it in a nutshell: does the updated XAR / or the update process performs
an incremental update or does it, potentialy depending on the admin answers on
conflicts, updates all Wiki pages?

Thanks for your (I hope) last explainations,

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Ldm Public <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok thanks.
>
> I have a last question regarding XWiki update process.
>
> Does the XAR I have installed thru the EM / Advanced Search
> "org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-ui-all" contains absolutely all XWiki
> pages? Which means I can "skip" updates for some versions because next XAR
> update will be a "full" update. But it also means, when I perform an update
> that I'm prompted to solve conflicts for pages which are in the XAR but
> which, in fact, didn't changed from an XWiki official distribution point of
> view (the only changes in these pages are the changes I've performed).
>
> Or does the upgrade process is more clever: each page has its own version
> and the update process does a comparison between the current page version in
> my Wiki and the one coming from the XAR before prompting to solve a confict?
>
> To put it in a nutshell: does the updated XAR / or the update process
> performs an incremental update or does it, potentialy depending on the admin
> answers on conflicts, updates all Wiki pages?

Neither :)

The upgrade does a 3 ways merge for each page between page in the
previous version, page in the database and page in the new version so
among other things if the page did not change in the official version
it will not do anything for this page. Conflict asking is pretty rare
because even if the document changed in official version and you
modified some stuff most of the time it's able to merge it properly as
long as you did not touch the exact same thing that changed between
previous and new version.

> Thanks for your (I hope) last explainations,

Re: How to upgrade XWiki with EM?

xrichard
Nice: the annonced feature is now available and working perfectly.
It's easier than ever to upgrade XWiki pages after an admin has performed the
WAR update => I've done it with success on myxwiki.org.

Thanks to the dev :-)

On May 10, 2013, at 8:13 AM, Ldm Public <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice: the annonced feature is now available and working perfectly.
> It's easier than ever to upgrade XWiki pages after an admin has performed the WAR update => I've done it with success on myxwiki.org.
>
> Thanks to the dev :-)

Thanks for the feedback, that helps a lot! :)

-Vincent