Quantcast

How to verify user/password from XWiki from another app

How to verify user/password from XWiki from another app

tadewos somano
Hello Xwikiers,
I need to import xwiki's user and password credentials to database of other
application  to configure single sign on in tomcat. How can I verify
user/password from xwiki database.
I am using mysql database.
Thank you in advance.
Best,
Tadewos

Re: How to verify user/password from XWiki from another app

You might be interested by
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XWiki%20Authenticator%20JDBC
.

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:03 AM, tadewos somano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Xwikiers,
> I need to import xwiki's user and password credentials to database of other
> application  to configure single sign on in tomcat. How can I verify
> user/password from xwiki database.
> I am using mysql database.
> Thank you in advance.
> Best,
> Tadewos

Re: How to verify user/password from XWiki from another app

tadewos somano
Hi Thoms,
Thank you.I tried to see description of your plug-in. But I don't think
there is  table named users and columns named name, password,email(If I am
wrong I am happy if you tell me the table).
The point of my question is to know table name, user column, password
column,...so that I can use for my purpose.
Best,
*Tadewos *

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You might be interested by
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> XWiki%20Authenticator%20JDBC
> .
>
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:03 AM, tadewos somano <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello Xwikiers,
> > I need to import xwiki's user and password credentials to database of
> other
> > application  to configure single sign on in tomcat. How can I verify
> > user/password from xwiki database.
> > I am using mysql database.
> > Thank you in advance.
> > Best,
> > Tadewos

Re: How to verify user/password from XWiki from another app

Ok I tough you wanted to make XWiki authenticate with some credentials
stored in another database.

If your use case is having several applications, including XWiki, use the
same credentials it depends a lot how configurable other (present and
future) applications are in your network.

= Use XWiki as reference

It would be simpler to use HTTP basic auth to validate credential on XWiki
because the way user/password are stored in the database is really not very
friendly for use cases like this. The password is a crypted object property
stored in the user profile making it quite a pain manipulate from pure
database point of view.

Another idea is to make your XWiki instance an OpenID Connect provider
using
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/OpenID%20Connect/OpenID%20Connect%20Provider/
and configure application to authenticate trough OpenID Connect on the
XWiki instance.

= Use another application as reference

Usually means writing your own custom XWiki authenticator or use generic
stuff like http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
XWiki%20Authenticator%20JDBC

= Use a dedicated credential directory like LDAP as reference

This means using an authenticator like the LDAP one on XWiki side and
configuring other applications to connect to LDAP as well.

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:53 AM, tadewos somano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Thoms,
> Thank you.I tried to see description of your plug-in. But I don't think
> there is  table named users and columns named name, password,email(If I am
> wrong I am happy if you tell me the table).
> The point of my question is to know table name, user column, password
> column,...so that I can use for my purpose.
> Best,
> *Tadewos *
>

> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Thomas Mortagne <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > You might be interested by
> > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> > XWiki%20Authenticator%20JDBC
> > .
> >
> > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:03 AM, tadewos somano <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Xwikiers,
> > > I need to import xwiki's user and password credentials to database of
> > other
> > > application  to configure single sign on in tomcat. How can I verify
> > > user/password from xwiki database.
> > > I am using mysql database.
> > > Thank you in advance.
> > > Best,
> > > Tadewos
> > >

> > --
> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: How to verify user/password from XWiki from another app

tadewos somano
Thank you Thomas,
I have one application and xwiki, both deployed inside tomcat container.
The default page is the other application, not xwiki. Xwiki is included
with hiperlink in the other application.The public(without need to login)
can click the link to Xwiki and be  redirected to xwiki collaborative
platform.
What I have now is both xwiki and the other application need separate
login, registration, etc. And they use different databases.But both in the
same container, in the same machine and use mysql.
I want username and password credentials of both xwiki and the other
application to be synchronized so that if a user logs in either xwiki or
the other application should not be requested for an other login(Single
Sign on) during a session.(The other application is php based(joomla)
application)
And from the link you sent me, I don't see any tip for this problem of
mine.
So do you have any suggestion?

*Tadewos *
<https://nl.linkedin.com/pub/tadewos-somano/1a/217/679>

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Ok I tough you wanted to make XWiki authenticate with some credentials
> stored in another database.
>
> If your use case is having several applications, including XWiki, use the
> same credentials it depends a lot how configurable other (present and
> future) applications are in your network.
>
> = Use XWiki as reference
>
> It would be simpler to use HTTP basic auth to validate credential on XWiki
> because the way user/password are stored in the database is really not very
> friendly for use cases like this. The password is a crypted object property
> stored in the user profile making it quite a pain manipulate from pure
> database point of view.
>
> Another idea is to make your XWiki instance an OpenID Connect provider
> using
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> OpenID%20Connect/OpenID%20Connect%20Provider/
> and configure application to authenticate trough OpenID Connect on the
> XWiki instance.
>
> = Use another application as reference
>
> Usually means writing your own custom XWiki authenticator or use generic
> stuff like http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> XWiki%20Authenticator%20JDBC
>
> = Use a dedicated credential directory like LDAP as reference
>
> This means using an authenticator like the LDAP one on XWiki side and
> configuring other applications to connect to LDAP as well.
>
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:53 AM, tadewos somano <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Thoms,
> > Thank you.I tried to see description of your plug-in. But I don't think
> > there is  table named users and columns named name, password,email(If I
> am
> > wrong I am happy if you tell me the table).
> > The point of my question is to know table name, user column, password
> > column,...so that I can use for my purpose.
> > Best,
> > *Tadewos *
> >

> > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Thomas Mortagne <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > You might be interested by
> > > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> > > XWiki%20Authenticator%20JDBC
> > > .

> > > other
> > > >

> > > --
> > > Thomas Mortagne

Re: How to verify user/password from XWiki from another app

Not sure what link you are referring to.

In my last mail I gave you various approaches to deal with your use case
and different related links.

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 2:59 PM, tadewos somano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:53 AM, tadewos somano <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Thoms,
> > > Thank you.I tried to see description of your plug-in. But I don't think
> > > there is  table named users and columns named name, password,email(If I
> > am
> > > wrong I am happy if you tell me the table).
> > > The point of my question is to know table name, user column, password
> > > column,...so that I can use for my purpose.
> > > Best,
> > > *Tadewos *
> > >

> > > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Thomas Mortagne <
> > > [hidden email]>

> of
> verify

> > --
> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: How to verify user/password from XWiki from another app

You sent me 2 links. One is just a link to list of  extensions. So I am not
mentioning it.
The following link you sent me is related but not helpful yet.
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/OpenID%20Connect/OpenID%20Connect%20Provider/

Best,

*Tadewos *

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > XWiki instance.
> > >
> > > = Use another application as reference
> > >
> > > Usually means writing your own custom XWiki authenticator or use
> generic
> > > stuff like http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> > > XWiki%20Authenticator%20JDBC
> > >
> > > = Use a dedicated credential directory like LDAP as reference
> > >
> > > This means using an authenticator like the LDAP one on XWiki side and
> > > configuring other applications to connect to LDAP as well.

> think
> password,email(If I
> > > am

> [hidden email]

> database
> > of
> > verify

> > > --
> > > Thomas Mortagne

Re: How to verify user/password from XWiki from another app

I did not sent you a link to the list of extension but the mail server cut
it.

I'm not really sure what you are expecting exactly. More important than the
links, I listed to you various ways to deal with your use case. There is no
magical way to just "make XWiki work with any application" so you have to
read the various solutions I talked about and think about what is possible
for you and then ask more specific questions.

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 3:16 PM, tadewos somano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> You sent me 2 links. One is just a link to list of  extensions. So I am not
> mentioning it.
> The following link you sent me is related but not helpful yet.
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> OpenID%20Connect/OpenID%20Connect%20Provider/
>
> Best,
>

> *Tadewos *
>

> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Not sure what link you are referring to.
> >
> > In my last mail I gave you various approaches to deal with your use case
> > and different related links.
> >
> > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 2:59 PM, tadewos somano <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you Thomas,
> > > I have one application and xwiki, both deployed inside tomcat
> container.
> > > The default page is the other application, not xwiki. Xwiki is included
> > > with hiperlink in the other application.The public(without need to
> login)
> > > can click the link to Xwiki and be  redirected to xwiki collaborative
> > > platform.
> > > What I have now is both xwiki and the other application need separate
> > > login, registration, etc. And they use different databases.But both in
> > the
> > > same container, in the same machine and use mysql.
> > > I want username and password credentials of both xwiki and the other
> > > application to be synchronized so that if a user logs in either xwiki
> or
> > > the other application should not be requested for an other login(Single
> > > Sign on) during a session.(The other application is php based(joomla)
> > > application)
> > > And from the link you sent me, I don't see any tip for this problem of
> > > mine.
> > > So do you have any suggestion?
> > >

> > > *Tadewos *
> > > <https://nl.linkedin.com/pub/tadewos-somano/1a/217/679>
> > >

> > > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Thomas Mortagne <
> > [hidden email]

> credentials

> > the

> > > XWiki
> not
> > > very
> > > property
> pure

> provider
> the

> > generic

> > think
> > password,email(If I
> password

> > [hidden email]

> > database
> > > of
> > > verify

> > --
> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: How to verify user/password from XWiki from another app

tadewos somano
Hi Thomas,
Thank you. But now I realize that it is difficult to import user
credentials of xwiki database to interpret from php based application.
So my question is : Is it possible to import user credentials of other
application( which stores without encryption) to xwiki database to make
xwiki an entry point to all other applications? If this is not possible or
much difficult, I have to switch to traditional wiki.
Best,

*Tadewos *
<https://nl.linkedin.com/pub/tadewos-somano/1a/217/679>

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 4:45 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I did not sent you a link to the list of extension but the mail server cut
> it.
>
> I'm not really sure what you are expecting exactly. More important than the
> links, I listed to you various ways to deal with your use case. There is no
> magical way to just "make XWiki work with any application" so you have to
> read the various solutions I talked about and think about what is possible
> for you and then ask more specific questions.
>
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 3:16 PM, tadewos somano <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > You sent me 2 links. One is just a link to list of  extensions. So I am
> not
> > mentioning it.
> > The following link you sent me is related but not helpful yet.
> > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> > OpenID%20Connect/OpenID%20Connect%20Provider/
> >
> > Best,
> >

> > *Tadewos *
> >

> > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Thomas Mortagne <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Not sure what link you are referring to.
> > >
> > > In my last mail I gave you various approaches to deal with your use
> case
> > > and different related links.

> > container.
> included
> > login)
> in
> > > the
> > or
> login(Single
> of

> > > [hidden email]

> > credentials

> use
> > > the
> and

> on
> > not
> > pure

> > provider
> > the

> > > generic

> and

> [hidden email]

> > > think
> > > password,email(If I
> > password

> > > [hidden email]

> > > database

> > > --
> > > Thomas Mortagne

Re: How to verify user/password from XWiki from another app

I don't think you need to "import" anything.

As I explained in "Use another application as reference" section you can
use JDBC authenticator to tell XWiki to use credentials stored in a
different database somewhere, you just need to explains it how it can
access the database and it even support various kind of encrypted passwords
(you can explain it how to encrypt it to do the match). In that case the
reference is that other application which keep using its own credentials,
XWiki will simply use them directly too.

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 10:24 AM, tadewos somano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> > > or
> > login(Single
> based(joomla)
> > of

> > > credentials

> > use
> > and

> > on
> really
> > > not
> object
> > > pure

> > > provider
> on
> > > the

> > and

> > [hidden email]

> don't
> > > password

> can I

> > --
> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: How to verify user/password from XWiki from another app

Keith H
Hi Guys,

I have a similar use case.

I have a wordpress site, and I think XWiki might find a market as a plug
in to wordpress.

So far I have my wordpress sites up and running and Apache is mapping
site.com/bin/…  to localhost:8080/bin/… etc

I assume that a wordpress login produces some cookies that tells the
site who is logged in in this session. I will need xwiki to read and
accept these very same cookies.

Is this the kind of thing you had in mind?

Keith