Howto-Request (+Donation)

squirrely_wrath
Hi all

I'm just an Linux/Apace/MySQL/PostgreSQL guy (and no developer). I have no experience with Tomcat or whatsoever. Maybe I could indeed deploy the xwiki-installation but I'm not sure about that, so I'm asking for a step-by-step Howto (something like you can see on http://www.howtoforge.com).

Web(!)Server: Linux Debian 4 (console only)
DB: MySQL
Apache 2.2.x (mod_proxy must be used as mod_jk is obsolet as I saw it)
Please with a Domain example.

I would donate $50. Maybe there are other ppl who are interested in that and would donate too??

Anybody willing to lower the xwiki installation-barrier (no offend xwiki-guys :))?

Cheers

Re: Howto-Request (+Donation)

squirrely_wrath

justanotheradress wrote
Hi all

I'm just an Linux/Apace/MySQL/PostgreSQL guy (and no developer). I have no
experience with Tomcat or whatsoever. Maybe I could indeed deploy the
xwiki-installation but I'm not sure about that, so I'm asking for a
step-by-step Howto (something like you can see on http://www.howtoforge.com
).

Web(!)Server: Linux Debian 4 (console only)
DB: MySQL
Apache 2.2.x (mod_proxy must be used as mod_jk is obsolet as I saw it)
Please with a Domain example.

I would donate $50. Maybe there are other ppl who are interested in that and
would donate too??

Anybody willing to lower the xwiki installation-barrier (no offend
xwiki-guys :))?

Cheers

Ok, ok. I'll donate in EURO

C'mon guys, this would help to spread XWIKI in my opinion and further ppl could learn something about the Howto. Don't you think?

Re: Howto-Request (+Donation)

On Jan 22, 2008, at 4:37 PM, justanotheradress wrote:

> justanotheradress wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm just an Linux/Apace/MySQL/PostgreSQL guy (and no developer). I
>> have no
>> experience with Tomcat or whatsoever. Maybe I could indeed deploy the
>> xwiki-installation but I'm not sure about that, so I'm asking for a
>> step-by-step Howto (something like you can see on
>> http://www.howtoforge.com
>> ).
>>
>> Web(!)Server: Linux Debian 4 (console only)
>> DB: MySQL
>> Apache 2.2.x (mod_proxy must be used as mod_jk is obsolet as I saw
>> it)
>> Please with a Domain example.
>>
>> I would donate $50. Maybe there are other ppl who are interested in
>> that
>> and
>> would donate too??
>>
>> Anybody willing to lower the xwiki installation-barrier (no offend
>> xwiki-guys :))?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
> Ok, ok. I'll donate in EURO  :-D

If you really need professional services to help the XWiki SAS company
can certainly help (http://xwiki.com). However the cost won't be 50$
(or 50 euros) but much higher. From a professional organization you
won't get this for less than 1000-1500 euros I'd say.

 From an individual you could get it done from 500 to 1000 euros.

Of course you could also try to do the install yourself or ask a
friend to do it for you... The xwiki documentation is enough to get
xwiki installed (provided you have some minimal J2EE knowledge -
Servlet especially).

> C'mon guys, this would help to spread XWIKI in my opinion and
> further ppl
> could learn something about the Howto. Don't you think?

I don't understand this part of your mail ;)

There are already how to on how to install xwiki. Maybe you meant
something else?

Re: Howto-Request (+Donation)

Ricardo Rodríguez-2
justanotheradress wrote:
> Ok, ok. I'll donate in EURO  :-D
>
> C'mon guys, this would help to spread XWIKI in my opinion and further ppl
> could learn something about the Howto. Don't you think?

Hi, JAA!

Surely this HowTo will help, but the problem could be that the number of
combinations database/software platform/servlet tend to infinite...

Please, what do you miss in the available installation pages? For
instance, considering you want to install a full-featured wiki system
like the one provided by XWiki Enterprise, what do you miss here...

http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Installation#HInstallingtheXWikiWARmanually

I am sure your experience will help to improve this wiki document.

HTH,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your XEN ICT Team

Ricardo
I miss the part how to get it working with Apache and a Domain Name. In the example is only "localhost" mentioned and I struggle there. I don't know how I can properly connect Apache with Tomcat. Further I don't know where to put xwiki exactly...I have some concerns about security...

Re: Howto-Request (+Donation)

squirrely_wrath

vmassol wrote
Hi,

If you really need professional services to help the XWiki SAS company
can certainly help (http://xwiki.com). However the cost won't be 50$
(or 50 euros) but much higher. From a professional organization you
won't get this for less than 1000-1500 euros I'd say.

 From an individual you could get it done from 500 to 1000 euros.

Of course you could also try to do the install yourself or ask a
friend to do it for you... The xwiki documentation is enough to get
xwiki installed (provided you have some minimal J2EE knowledge -
Servlet especially).

> C'mon guys, this would help to spread XWIKI in my opinion and
> further ppl
> could learn something about the Howto. Don't you think?

I don't understand this part of your mail ;)

There are already how to on how to install xwiki. Maybe you meant
something else?

The Howto's right now is incomplete (from my point of view). They assume you have technical background. I guess that's your target audience. But I think with a better step by step example advanced users (but no developer) would be able to install it, too. I don't need a personalized installation from xwiki.com or a member. I just asked for a stept-by-step Howto accessible to everyone. Like on www.howtoforge.com. From this site I learned so much, just in reading the Howto's. So maybe I could learn something about the whole JAVA thing here...I'm a student, I don't have $500 or more bucks to spend on this...  :(

Re: Howto-Request (+Donation)

Ricardo Rodríguez-2
justanotheradress wrote
>> I miss the part how to get it working with Apache and a Domain Name. In the
>> example is only "localhost" mentioned and I struggle there.
Localhost can be replaced by any host name, yourcomputer.yourdomain.com,
resolved by a DNS (domain name server) or simply include in the host
file of your system. But you can skip this part until you have a running
system accessible at http://localhost/xwiki/...

This part has nothing to do with XWiki by itself but with general
Internet functioning issues.
>> I don't know how
>> I can properly connect Apache with Tomcat.

Forget about it at the moment. If you have a running Tomcat instance it
will probably be accessible at http://localhost:8080. The number after :
is the port number at witch the standalone Tomcat http server is running.
>> Further I don't know where to put
>> xwiki exactly...I have some concerns about security...

As you are running Tomcat as a servlet container, xwiki must be copied
to your /webapps folder. If you have installed Tomcat by yourself, you
must know where its folder is. It could be under /usr/share, or under
/Library/Tomcat,... I've no Debian distribution running here. Sorry.

As per security: concerns about security can be as bigger as you want!!!
Physical security? Logical security? Encryption? Users management?...
Once again, I will delay this issue until you gain some experience
working with a local installation. If you have a Firewall installed,
probably nobody can access your 8080 port from the Internet.

I think you could follow this thread at the users list. This devs one is
devoted to developing aspects with witch your doubts has few or nothing
to do.

Hope this helps,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your XEN ICT Team

Re: Howto-Request (+Donation)

On Jan 22, 2008, at 5:26 PM, justanotheradress wrote:

> vmassol wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you really need professional services to help the XWiki SAS
>> company
>> can certainly help (http://xwiki.com). However the cost won't be 50$
>> (or 50 euros) but much higher. From a professional organization you
>> won't get this for less than 1000-1500 euros I'd say.
>>
>> From an individual you could get it done from 500 to 1000 euros.
>>
>> Of course you could also try to do the install yourself or ask a
>> friend to do it for you... The xwiki documentation is enough to get
>> xwiki installed (provided you have some minimal J2EE knowledge -
>> Servlet especially).
>>
>>> C'mon guys, this would help to spread XWIKI in my opinion and
>>> further ppl
>>> could learn something about the Howto. Don't you think?
>>
>> I don't understand this part of your mail ;)
>>
>> There are already how to on how to install xwiki. Maybe you meant
>> something else?

> The Howto's right now is incomplete (from my point of view). They
> assume you
> have technical background. I guess that's your target audience. But
> I think
> with a better step by step example advanced users (but no developer)
> would
> be able to install it, too. I don't need a personalized installation
> from
> xwiki.com or a member. I just asked for a stept-by-step Howto
> accessible to
> everyone. Like on www.howtoforge.com. From this site I learned so
> much, just
> in reading the Howto's. So maybe I could learn something about the
> whole
> JAVA thing here...I'm a student, I don't have $500 or more bucks to
> spend on
> this...  :(

then you shouldn't try to install it!

You could use an already setup xwiki farm instead.

Re: Howto-Request (+Donation)

squirrely_wrath

On Jan 22, 2008 11:39 AM, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your XEN ICT Team <[hidden email]> wrote:
justanotheradress wrote
>> I miss the part how to get it working with Apache and a Domain Name. In the
>> example is only "localhost" mentioned and I struggle there.
Localhost can be replaced by any host name, yourcomputer.yourdomain.com,
resolved by a DNS (domain name server) or simply include in the host
file of your system. But you can skip this part until you have a running
system accessible at http://localhost/xwiki/...

This part has nothing to do with XWiki by itself but with general
Internet functioning issues.
>> I don't know how
>> I can properly connect Apache with Tomcat.

Forget about it at the moment. If you have a running Tomcat instance it
will probably be accessible at http://localhost:8080. The number after :
is the port number at witch the standalone Tomcat http server is running.
>> Further I don't know where to put
>> xwiki exactly...I have some concerns about security...

As you are running Tomcat as a servlet container, xwiki must be copied
to your /webapps folder. If you have installed Tomcat by yourself, you
must know where its folder is. It could be under /usr/share, or under
/Library/Tomcat,... I've no Debian distribution running here. Sorry.

As per security: concerns about security can be as bigger as you want!!!
Physical security? Logical security? Encryption? Users management?...
Once again, I will delay this issue until you gain some experience
working with a local installation. If you have a Firewall installed,
probably nobody can access your 8080 port from the Internet.

I think you could follow this thread at the users list. This devs one is
devoted to developing aspects with witch your doubts has few or nothing
to do.

Hope this helps,

Ricardo

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks Ricardo!

Re: Howto-Request (+Donation)

squirrely_wrath

On Jan 22, 2008 11:40 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

then you shouldn't try to install it!

You could use an already setup xwiki farm instead.

-Vincent

Boah, that's a bit harsh, don't you think? It's like the old Linux developer behavior. I like to play with new technology, but I'm not a developer. I'm just a student who spend some spare time on IT-topics. I do that because it's fun for me and because I think, when I'm becoming a manager in a company, I understand the IT guys better and that helps both sides. You on the other hand tell me I shouldn't do that. Thanks a lot.

Thanks to the Howtos on www.Howtoforge.com I'm running a secured dedicated Debian server with fully automated backup jobs, firewall and so forth and I'm not even a "real" Linux freak. I was able to run a CMS with a forum, over 400 active members and over 1 Terabyte traffic a month (in 2 years, my server was not one time down). So what's the point? Technology is only for guys who studied it? Well, I thought technology is only as good as ppl can use it. Right now you think XWIKI is only good to use it as a user, but I believe with a little bit more polished documentation, advanced users (I'm not talking about my grandma) could (I'm not saying they have to) be able to install it by themself. That's all I was asking (not demanding, that's a big difference!) for.

Re: Howto-Request (+Donation)

On Jan 22, 2008, at 5:57 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

On Jan 22, 2008 11:40 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

then you shouldn't try to install it!

You could use an already setup xwiki farm instead.

-Vincent

Boah, that's a bit harsh, don't you think? It's like the old Linux developer behavior. I like to play with new technology, but I'm not a developer. I'm just a student who spend some spare time on IT-topics. I do that because it's fun for me and because I think, when I'm becoming a manager in a company, I understand the IT guys better and that helps both sides. You on the other hand tell me I shouldn't do that. Thanks a lot.

No, no you've misunderstood me :)

You were saying in your emails that you didn't want to try installing xwiki and that you wanted to pay someone to do it for you. Hence my suggestion to use an already installed version for testing/using XWiki (i.e. a farm install like netcipia, the pro xwiki.com farm, etc).

I'm more than happy that you install it, actually I even prefer that. If you follow this list archive you'll see we've always been supportive and answered questions from people trying to install it. However since people are going to donate their time to help you, all we ask is that in return you help the project in some way. For example you can do this by improving the documentation or by writing a tutorial for newbie, etc.

I think our misunderstanding came from the email I saw from you where you stated that you were not technical and that you wanted someone to do the install for you..

XWiki is very easy to install. Takes less than 10 seconds if you follow the packaged distribution. Now if you want to do fancy things (which you said you wanted to do) it's another matter which is btw completely separate from XWiki (Apache has nothing to do with xwiki, same as configuring your OS, knowing how to install a specific database, etc).

Thanks to the Howtos on www.Howtoforge.com I'm running a secured dedicated Debian server with fully automated backup jobs, firewall and so forth and I'm not even a "real" Linux freak. I was able to run a CMS with a forum, over 400 active members and over 1 Terabyte traffic a month (in 2 years, my server was not one time down). So what's the point? Technology is only for guys who studied it? Well, I thought technology is only as good as ppl can use it. Right now you think XWIKI is only good to use it as a user, but I believe with a little bit more polished documentation, advanced users (I'm not talking about my grandma) could (I'm not saying they have to) be able to install it by themself. That's all I was asking (not demanding, that's a big difference!) for.

Re: Howto-Request (+Donation)

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2008, at 5:57 PM, [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 22, 2008 11:40 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>

>>     then you shouldn't try to install it!
>>
>>     You could use an already setup xwiki farm instead.
>>
>>     -Vincent
>>     <http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs>
>>

>> Boah, that's a bit harsh, don't you think? It's like the old Linux
>> developer behavior. I like to play with new technology, but I'm not a
>> developer. I'm just a student who spend some spare time on IT-topics.
>> I do that because it's fun for me and because I think, when I'm
>> becoming a manager in a company, I understand the IT guys better and
>> that helps both sides. You on the other hand tell me I shouldn't do
>> that. Thanks a lot.
>
> No, no you've misunderstood me :)
>
> You were saying in your emails that you didn't want to try installing
> xwiki and that you wanted to pay someone to do it for you. Hence my
> suggestion to use an already installed version for testing/using XWiki
> (i.e. a farm install like netcipia, the pro xwiki.com farm, etc).
>
> I'm more than happy that you install it, actually I even prefer that. If
> you follow this list archive you'll see we've always been supportive and
> answered questions from people trying to install it. However since
> people are going to donate their time to help you, all we ask is that in
> return you help the project in some way. For example you can do this by
> improving the documentation or by writing a tutorial for newbie, etc.
>
> I think our misunderstanding came from the email I saw from you where
> you stated that you were not technical and that you wanted someone to do
> the install for you..
>
> XWiki is very easy to install. Takes less than 10 seconds if you follow
> the packaged distribution. Now if you want to do fancy things (which you
> said you wanted to do) it's another matter which is btw completely
> separate from XWiki (Apache has nothing to do with xwiki, same as
> configuring your OS, knowing how to install a specific database, etc).

I second that. All you need to know about configuring XWiki so that it
works behind httpd and tomcat is already documented. Setting up httpd,
tomcat and the link between them (mod_proxy or mod_jk) is NOT something
XWiki must document. For example, the documentation for a game should
contain information about installing Windows, DirectX, drivers for the
video card, where to get a joystick from and how to install such a
device? I say no. The same is true here. XWiki is a web application,
comes packaged as a .war, and it is installed as any other .war.

Sergiu

>> Thanks to the Howtos on www.Howtoforge.com <http://www.Howtoforge.com>
>> I'm running a secured dedicated Debian server with fully automated
>> backup jobs, firewall and so forth and I'm not even a "real" Linux
>> freak. I was able to run a CMS with a forum, over 400 active members
>> and over 1 Terabyte traffic a month (in 2 years, my server was not one
>> time down). So what's the point? Technology is only for guys who
>> studied it? Well, I thought technology is only as good as ppl can use
>> it. Right now you think XWIKI is only good to use it as a user, but I
>> believe with a little bit more polished documentation, advanced users
>> (I'm not talking about my grandma) could (I'm not saying they have to)
>> be able to install it by themself. That's all I was asking (not
>> demanding, that's a big difference!) for.

Re: Howto-Request (+Donation)

squirrely_wrath
Ok, sorry that for the misunderstanding on both sides  :)

But I'm nevertheless not agree with Sergiu (but that doesn't matter). I'll try to figure out how to do a running installation and then I'll write a complete A-Z Howto for a Xwiki-Installation (for my chosen apps/OS) and post it afterwards under Xwiki.org.

Sorry for the noise.

On Jan 22, 2008, at 9:10 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

Ok, sorry that for the misunderstanding on both sides  :)

But I'm nevertheless not agree with Sergiu (but that doesn't matter). I'll try to figure out how to do a running installation and then I'll write a complete A-Z Howto for a Xwiki-Installation (for my chosen apps/OS) and post it afterwards under Xwiki.org.

That's great news! Ping us when you're ready to write it so that we can work together where to best place it on xwiki.org for max effect and to prevent duplication of information with existing info there (this is important since duplication means both maintenance and out of sync info).

Cheers,
-Vincent

Vincent Massol wrote:

> [...]

Sergiu

>> Thanks to the Howtos on www.Howtoforge.com <http://www.Howtoforge.com >
>> I'm running a secured dedicated Debian server with fully automated

>> backup jobs, firewall and so forth and I'm not even a "real" Linux
>> freak. I was able to run a CMS with a forum, over 400 active members
>> and over 1 Terabyte traffic a month (in 2 years, my server was not one
>> time down). So what's the point? Technology is only for guys who
>> studied it? Well, I thought technology is only as good as ppl can use
>> it. Right now you think XWIKI is only good to use it as a user, but I
>> believe with a little bit more polished documentation, advanced users
>> (I'm not talking about my grandma) could (I'm not saying they have to)
>> be able to install it by themself. That's all I was asking (not
>> demanding, that's a big difference!) for.

Guys, guys, guys. IT WORKS! IT WORKS!

I need some time to figure out every step I made and write the Howto, stay tuned.  :D
Well, the mod_proxy thing does not work it seems. I can only access the wiki with "MyIP:8180/wiki". I will leave the Apache part blank in the upcoming Howto.

One thing that bothers me is the performance. I don't know whether it's a configuration issue or if it's XWIKI or Tomcat itself. Everytime I click on a link it connects dozens of times to the server and needs couple of seconds to load a page (up to 10 long seconds). It has roughly the same speed as XWIKI.org but I guess XWIKI.org has way more load, or? Usually my server is fast and right now not under any load.

AMD 3400+
1GB RAM
100mbit/s
Ping (from Canada to Germany, where the server is): ~18ms

Is that in anyway known?

Is that in anyway known?
Ok, I think I got it. My ping is not 18ms but 180ms and with those many connections it add's up of course (the speed itself is ok, just the ping not). Is it maybe planned to reduce those connections? this would help a lot if your server is on another continent  ;)

Re: Howto-Request (+Donation)

rrodrigueznt
justanotheradress wrote:
>> Ok, I think I got it. My ping is not 18ms but 180ms and with those many
>> connections it add's up of course (the speed itself is ok, just the ping
>> not). Is it maybe planned to reduce those connections? this would help a lot
>> if your server is on another continent  ;)

Thinking the other way round could help: your client is in a different
continent ;-)

By the way: there are a number of threads and JIRA Issues related with
performance. Even better: related with the way XWiki serves page
components (CSS, static versus dynamic contents,...). I am sure our help
will be welcome there!

Enjoy!

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: Howto-Request (+Donation)

On Jan 24, 2008, at 1:34 AM, justanotheradress wrote:

> justanotheradress wrote:
>>

>> justanotheradress wrote:
>>>
>>> Guys, guys, guys. IT WORKS! IT WORKS!
>>>
>>> I need some time to figure out every step I made and write the
>>> Howto,
>>> stay tuned.  :D
>>>

>> Well, the mod_proxy thing does not work it seems. I can only access
>> the
>> wiki with "MyIP:8180/wiki". I will leave the Apache part blank in the
>> upcoming Howto.
>>
>> One thing that bothers me is the performance. I don't know whether
>> it's a
>> configuration issue or if it's XWIKI or Tomcat itself. Everytime I
>> click
>> on a link it connects dozens of times to the server and needs
>> couple of
>> seconds to load a page (up to 10 long seconds). It has roughly the
>> same
>> speed as XWIKI.org but I guess XWIKI.org has way more load, or?
>> Usually my
>> server is fast and right now not under any load.
>>
>> AMD 3400+
>> 1GB RAM
>> 100mbit/s
>> Ping (from Canada to Germany, where the server is): ~18ms
>>
>> Is that in anyway known?
>>

> Ok, I think I got it. My ping is not 18ms but 180ms and with those
> many
> connections it add's up of course (the speed itself is ok, just the
> ping
> not). Is it maybe planned to reduce those connections? this would
> help a lot
> if your server is on another continent  ;)

Yes you pinpointed it exactly.

Here's the plan:
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-2022