[IDEA] Create an extension point for the Help application

[IDEA] Create an extension point for the Help application

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
We would need an extension point inside the Help application content in
order for the applications to insert their documentation, usage, actions,
etc.

There are several use cases that would need an extension point inside the
Help application:
- Templates section: some templates might want to promote themselves with
previews;
- Macros section: same;
- Applications section: same;
- Help Homepage
-- Tours: there is a proposal that adds a Tour section that lists the
available Tours, see
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/MultiPageTours/helpHomeAfter.png
and
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/MultiPageTours#HHelpTours
-- Scripting Documentation Application
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Scripting%20Documentation%20Application
could insert itself inside Help section, instead of AppBar.
- Not sure if extension points also apply for Sandbox and XWiki Syntax, or
if these should be just moved here.

Re: [IDEA] Create an extension point for the Help application

> On 12 Feb 2018, at 14:19, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We would need an extension point inside the Help application content in
> order for the applications to insert their documentation, usage, actions,
> etc.
>
> There are several use cases that would need an extension point inside the
> Help application:
> - Templates section: some templates might want to promote themselves with
> previews;
> - Macros section: same;
> - Applications section: same;
> - Help Homepage
> -- Tours: there is a proposal that adds a Tour section that lists the
> available Tours, see
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/MultiPageTours/helpHomeAfter.png
> and
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/MultiPageTours#HHelpTours
> -- Scripting Documentation Application
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Scripting%20Documentation%20Application
> could insert itself inside Help section, instead of AppBar.
> - Not sure if extension points also apply for Sandbox and XWiki Syntax, or
> if these should be just moved here.
>
> WDYT?

-0 for a UIXP but +1 for some new XClass(es) since UIXP should be reserved for skins, i.e. templates (vm files). Note that on this topic we need to conclude about http://markmail.org/message/ewk4rq7p2mtqehto (nobody replied to the last thread item I wrote :)). I don’t know what we agree about officially and what is still left to debate/decide. We need another thread for this.

Now we need to more precisely define the XClasses.

Ideas:

* One XClass for inserting “boxes” in the “Main Features” section, see http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Extension/Help%20Center%20Application/WebHome/HelpCenter-01-home.png. For example the Templates Application could/should insert itself instead of being hardcoded.
* Another XClass for the videos page to contribute a new video definition, see http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Extension/Help%20Center%20Application/WebHome/HelpCenter-02-videos.png
* One XClass for adding a new macro on http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Extension/Help%20Center%20Application/WebHome/HelpCenter-04-macros.png
* One XClass for adding a new application on http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Extension/Help%20Center%20Application/WebHome/HelpCenter-05-applications.png

Note: There could be a single XClass with a “type” xproperty to say where the content is contributed to or they could be different if we want more typed-XClasses.

> Caty

Re: [IDEA] Create an extension point for the Help application

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 3:53 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 12 Feb 2018, at 14:19, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > We would need an extension point inside the Help application content in
> > order for the applications to insert their documentation, usage, actions,
> > etc.
> >
> > There are several use cases that would need an extension point inside the
> > Help application:
> > - Templates section: some templates might want to promote themselves with
> > previews;
> > - Macros section: same;
> > - Applications section: same;
> > - Help Homepage
> > -- Tours: there is a proposal that adds a Tour section that lists the
> > available Tours, see
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
> MultiPageTours/helpHomeAfter.png
> > and
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/
> MultiPageTours#HHelpTours
> > -- Scripting Documentation Application
> > http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> Scripting%20Documentation%20Application
> > could insert itself inside Help section, instead of AppBar.
> > - Not sure if extension points also apply for Sandbox and XWiki Syntax,
> or
> > if these should be just moved here.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> -0 for a UIXP but +1 for some new XClass(es) since UIXP should be reserved
> for skins, i.e. templates (vm files). Note that on this topic we need to
> conclude about http://markmail.org/message/ewk4rq7p2mtqehto (nobody
> replied to the last thread item I wrote :)). I don’t know what we agree
> about officially and what is still left to debate/decide. We need another
> thread for this.

+1 to use XClasses. The downside is that we loose the scope
(user/wiki/global) so by default any user would be able to inject content
into the Help application.