[Idea] Also save the previous version when upgrading

[Idea] Also save the previous version when upgrading

I’d like to propose that we also save the previous version of XWiki when we upgrade. I can think of 2 use cases for that:

* After the user upgrades we display a What’s New (could be something in the notification area, in the Admin UI home page, as a popup on the first connexion after the upgrade, etc) and we take the data from the Release Notes app on xwiki.org using the previous version information to list what’s new.

* When a user reports a problem of upgrade, we can ask him to tell us the previous version that is stored.

WDYT?

Note that the info should probably be stored somewhere in the permanent directory. It could even be stored in the existing status.xml file.

EDIT: Actually it could already exist maybe. I’ve just checked distribution/status.xml on xwiki.org and I can see:

  <previousDistributionExtension>
    <id>org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-web</id>
    <version class="org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion" serialization="custom">
      <org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
        <string>8.4.4</string>
      </org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
    </version>
    <hashCode>-1</hashCode>
  </previousDistributionExtension>
  <previousDistributionExtensionUi>
    <id>org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-ui-mainwiki</id>
    <version class="org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion" reference="../../previousDistributionExtension/version"/>
    <hashCode>-1</hashCode>
  </previousDistributionExtensionUi>
  <distributionExtension>
    <id>org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-web</id>
    <version class="org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion" serialization="custom">
      <org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
        <string>8.4.4</string>
      </org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
    </version>
    <hashCode>-1</hashCode>
  </distributionExtension>

@Thomas: Any idea with previous version = new version = 8.4.4?
@Thomas: Do we have an API to get that info from a velocity script for example (or from Java)?

Re: [Idea] Also save the previous version when upgrading

Yes we already have this information and there is an internal API to
get it. See DistributionInternalScriptService.

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I’d like to propose that we also save the previous version of XWiki when we upgrade. I can think of 2 use cases for that:
>
> * After the user upgrades we display a What’s New (could be something in the notification area, in the Admin UI home page, as a popup on the first connexion after the upgrade, etc) and we take the data from the Release Notes app on xwiki.org using the previous version information to list what’s new.
>
> * When a user reports a problem of upgrade, we can ask him to tell us the previous version that is stored.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Note that the info should probably be stored somewhere in the permanent directory. It could even be stored in the existing status.xml file.
>
> EDIT: Actually it could already exist maybe. I’ve just checked distribution/status.xml on xwiki.org and I can see:
>
>   <previousDistributionExtension>
>     <id>org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-web</id>
>     <version class="org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion" serialization="custom">
>       <org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
>         <string>8.4.4</string>
>       </org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
>     </version>
>     <hashCode>-1</hashCode>
>   </previousDistributionExtension>
>   <previousDistributionExtensionUi>
>     <id>org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-ui-mainwiki</id>
>     <version class="org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion" reference="../../previousDistributionExtension/version"/>
>     <hashCode>-1</hashCode>
>   </previousDistributionExtensionUi>
>   <distributionExtension>
>     <id>org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-web</id>
>     <version class="org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion" serialization="custom">
>       <org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
>         <string>8.4.4</string>
>       </org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
>     </version>
>     <hashCode>-1</hashCode>
>   </distributionExtension>
>
> @Thomas: Any idea with previous version = new version = 8.4.4?
> @Thomas: Do we have an API to get that info from a velocity script for example (or from Java)?

Re: [Idea] Also save the previous version when upgrading

> On 18 Jun 2017, at 09:20, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes we already have this information and there is an internal API to
> get it. See DistributionInternalScriptService.

ok cool. Ay idea about why we get previous version = current version on xwiki.org (see below)?

> On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I’d like to propose that we also save the previous version of XWiki when we upgrade. I can think of 2 use cases for that:
>>
>> * After the user upgrades we display a What’s New (could be something in the notification area, in the Admin UI home page, as a popup on the first connexion after the upgrade, etc) and we take the data from the Release Notes app on xwiki.org using the previous version information to list what’s new.
>>
>> * When a user reports a problem of upgrade, we can ask him to tell us the previous version that is stored.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> Note that the info should probably be stored somewhere in the permanent directory. It could even be stored in the existing status.xml file.
>>
>> EDIT: Actually it could already exist maybe. I’ve just checked distribution/status.xml on xwiki.org and I can see:
>>
>>  <previousDistributionExtension>
>>    <id>org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-web</id>
>>    <version class="org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion" serialization="custom">
>>      <org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
>>        <string>8.4.4</string>
>>      </org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
>>    </version>
>>    <hashCode>-1</hashCode>
>>  </previousDistributionExtension>
>>  <previousDistributionExtensionUi>
>>    <id>org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-ui-mainwiki</id>
>>    <version class="org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion" reference="../../previousDistributionExtension/version"/>
>>    <hashCode>-1</hashCode>
>>  </previousDistributionExtensionUi>
>>  <distributionExtension>
>>    <id>org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-web</id>
>>    <version class="org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion" serialization="custom">
>>      <org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
>>        <string>8.4.4</string>
>>      </org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
>>    </version>
>>    <hashCode>-1</hashCode>
>>  </distributionExtension>
>>
>> @Thomas: Any idea with previous version = new version = 8.4.4?
>> @Thomas: Do we have an API to get that info from a velocity script for example (or from Java)?

Re: [Idea] Also save the previous version when upgrading

Loosing the previous version usually means that at some point the
status.xml file was deleted.

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 18 Jun 2017, at 09:20, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes we already have this information and there is an internal API to
>> get it. See DistributionInternalScriptService.
>
> ok cool. Ay idea about why we get previous version = current version on xwiki.org (see below)?

>> On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> I’d like to propose that we also save the previous version of XWiki when we upgrade. I can think of 2 use cases for that:
>>>
>>> * After the user upgrades we display a What’s New (could be something in the notification area, in the Admin UI home page, as a popup on the first connexion after the upgrade, etc) and we take the data from the Release Notes app on xwiki.org using the previous version information to list what’s new.
>>>
>>> * When a user reports a problem of upgrade, we can ask him to tell us the previous version that is stored.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Note that the info should probably be stored somewhere in the permanent directory. It could even be stored in the existing status.xml file.
>>>
>>> EDIT: Actually it could already exist maybe. I’ve just checked distribution/status.xml on xwiki.org and I can see:
>>>
>>>  <previousDistributionExtension>
>>>    <id>org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-web</id>
>>>    <version class="org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion" serialization="custom">
>>>      <org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
>>>        <string>8.4.4</string>
>>>      </org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
>>>    </version>
>>>    <hashCode>-1</hashCode>
>>>  </previousDistributionExtension>
>>>  <previousDistributionExtensionUi>
>>>    <id>org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-ui-mainwiki</id>
>>>    <version class="org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion" reference="../../previousDistributionExtension/version"/>
>>>    <hashCode>-1</hashCode>
>>>  </previousDistributionExtensionUi>
>>>  <distributionExtension>
>>>    <id>org.xwiki.enterprise:xwiki-enterprise-web</id>
>>>    <version class="org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion" serialization="custom">
>>>      <org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
>>>        <string>8.4.4</string>
>>>      </org.xwiki.extension.version.internal.DefaultVersion>
>>>    </version>
>>>    <hashCode>-1</hashCode>
>>>  </distributionExtension>
>>>
>>> @Thomas: Any idea with previous version = new version = 8.4.4?
>>> @Thomas: Do we have an API to get that info from a velocity script for example (or from Java)?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent
>>>

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Idea] Also save the previous version when upgrading

There seems to be an issue during following restarts after the
upgrade, in some condition it seems the previous version can be
overwritten by current one. Checking it.

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Loosing the previous version usually means that at some point the
> status.xml file was deleted.
>
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 18 Jun 2017, at 09:20, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes we already have this information and there is an internal API to
>>> get it. See DistributionInternalScriptService.
>>
>> ok cool. Ay idea about why we get previous version = current version on xwiki.org (see below)?

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Idea] Also save the previous version when upgrading

So yes the previous version is right during the upgrade but then it's
reseted. Since the only use case for this version was the upgrade
process I did not not really took much care of remembering it after
the upgrade was done.

Will improve that a bit.