[Idea] Keep tabs opened for wiki pages

Here's an idea: Have tabs in the xwiki UI so that when you navigate to
a new page you can keep tabs opened and thus switch back and forth
between opened pages quickly. Same as in an IDEA (or in the Nexus UI).

Just an idea... (haven't even thought about how to implement it).

Re: [Idea] Keep tabs opened for wiki pages

Jean-Vincent Drean-3
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's an idea: Have tabs in the xwiki UI so that when you navigate to
> a new page you can keep tabs opened and thus switch back and forth
> between opened pages quickly. Same as in an IDEA (or in the Nexus UI).

Sounds like reproducing tabbed browsing to me, WDYT ?

> Just an idea... (haven't even thought about how to implement it).

Re: [Idea] Keep tabs opened for wiki pages

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
On 10/19/2009 06:03 PM, Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Vincent Massol<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here's an idea: Have tabs in the xwiki UI so that when you navigate to
>> a new page you can keep tabs opened and thus switch back and forth
>> between opened pages quickly. Same as in an IDEA (or in the Nexus UI).
>>

> Sounds like reproducing tabbed browsing to me, WDYT ?

Exactly. I'd be -1 on this.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 18:25, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/19/2009 06:03 PM, Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Vincent Massol<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Here's an idea: Have tabs in the xwiki UI so that when you navigate to
>>> a new page you can keep tabs opened and thus switch back and forth
>>> between opened pages quickly. Same as in an IDEA (or in the Nexus UI).
>>>

>> Sounds like reproducing tabbed browsing to me, WDYT ?
>
> Exactly. I'd be -1 on this.

Yes i doubt we need to redo browser job.

On Oct 20, 2009, at 10:31 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 18:25, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> On 10/19/2009 06:03 PM, Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:

>>> Sounds like reproducing tabbed browsing to me, WDYT ?
>>
>> Exactly. I'd be -1 on this.
>
> Yes i doubt we need to redo browser job.

I'm not going to fight this but I think it's different.

There's a reason why using XEclipse/TimTam leads to 10x productivity
gains.

Re: [Idea] Keep tabs opened for wiki pages

Marius Dumitru Florea
Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2009, at 10:31 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 18:25, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Exactly. I'd be -1 on this.
>> Yes i doubt we need to redo browser job.
>

> I'm not going to fight this but I think it's different.

In our case the panels depend more or less on the active wiki page so if
we have:

* two "tabs", one with a wiki page in edit mode and another with a wiki
page in view mode, or
* two "tabs", each with a wiki page from a different space (say Blog and
Main)

then the panels will change when the user switches the "tabs". This
doesn't happen in Eclipse. Eclipse has the notion of view (debug, svn,
java) and while you are in the same view switching the tabs doesn't
change the panels but only their content.

Marius

> There's a reason why using XEclipse/TimTam leads to 10x productivity
> gains.

Re: [Idea] Keep tabs opened for wiki pages

rrodrigueznt
May I support Vincent's idea? I think to point is to avoid opening
several "full browser" windows and to have a number of document tabs
within a browser window.

I don't know how good is this from "resources economy" point of view,
but I think it will be ergonomic.

Thanks.

Ricardo

Vincent Massol wrote:

> I'm not going to fight this but I think it's different.
>
> There's a reason why using XEclipse/TimTam leads to 10x productivity
> gains.

Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: [Idea] Keep tabs opened for wiki pages

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
On 10/20/2009 11:13 AM, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT Team
wrote:
> May I support Vincent's idea? I think to point is to avoid opening
> several "full browser" windows and to have a number of document tabs
> within a browser window.
>
> I don't know how good is this from "resources economy" point of view,
> but I think it will be ergonomic.

I always say that the user should be in charge. Do documents always open
in a new pseudo-tab? If so, I wouldn't like it at all. I know which
documents I need and which I don't. How do we handle URLs? How do we
handle tab clutter?

The productivity gains come from tabs, and tabs should be managed by the
browser.
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> On 10/20/2009 11:13 AM, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT Team
> wrote:
>
>> May I support Vincent's idea? I think to point is to avoid opening
>> several "full browser" windows and to have a number of document tabs
>> within a browser window.
>>
>> I don't know how good is this from "resources economy" point of view,
>> but I think it will be ergonomic.
>>

> I always say that the user should be in charge. Do documents always open
> in a new pseudo-tab?

No. It must be optional.
> If so, I wouldn't like it at all. I know which
> documents I need and which I don't. How do we handle URLs?

Right-clicking an URL allows to choose between opening it in a new tab
or in a new browser window (OmniWeb has four different options). I don't
know if it would be possible to have a keyboard modifier to get it
opened in a new tab "within" the XWiki window. If this is not possible,
I think it would be better to forget about XWiki tabs.
> How do we handle tab clutter?

We must a keyboard shortcut to cycle the tabs.
> The productivity gains come from tabs, and tabs should be managed by the
> browser.

I do agree. But I can see at least two advantages using XWiki tabs: to
compare content (much easier if you can avoid all browser components but
content's window) and to save/share resources (I don't know at what
extent this could be significative).

Thanks!

Ricardo

--