Implementing the XWiki.org Redesign

Silvia Rusu
Hi XWiki devs & users,

So far we've been talking a lot about redesigning XWiki.org and all
feedback was greatly appreciated. Now it's time we started implementing
the redesign Caty was so kind to come up with based on our suggestions.

Like the proposal stage this too will be a collaborative effort and we
hope you'll join in building an even better site for XWiki.org. The
following is a list of things that need to be implemented in order to
get us started. It would be great if  you'd volunteer for the
implementation of the tasks at hand. Please add your name next to the
issue you'd like to assign yourself too. Also feel free to add as many
other issues you think should appear on the list and to volunteer for
those issues as well.

Here is the first list of tasks:

* Set up the server for the new website (Alex? :) )

* Add the horizontal navigation to the new website

* Implement the projects carousel for the homepage

* Implement the panels for "Latest Releases", "Latest Extensions".
"Latest News"(should display the latest 5 releases, extensions, news)

Documentation/Projects

* Implement the left navigation for documentation/projects

* Implement the panel for the "Latest Documentation Updates" (should
display the last 5 documents and their authors)

Community page widgets and panels:

* Implement the"Development Status" panel, if it's going to have dynamic
content

* Implement the "Top Committers" panel (show the committer's picture and
number of commits)

* Implement the "Latest Commits" section (should display an image of the
committer, what (s)he commited, the name of the committer and the date
the commit was made)

* Implement the "Latest Issues" section (should have the latest Jira
issues, the person who took an action with regard to the issue - e.g.
create, close - and the time the action was taken)

* Implement the "Latest Discussion" section (display the list, the topic
discussed, the name of the person that added the latest reply and the
time he added the answer)

* Implement the "Latest Documentation" section (show the number of lines
added/deleted, the name of the document, the author of the modification
and the time (s)he made the changes)

* Implement "Latest Extensions" section (display the extension name, the
name of the person that added the extension, the time it was added and a
short description)

You may read what has already been discussed about the redesign  on this
page
http://markmail.org/message/tfmrludhw2yh5tcn#query:+page:1+mid:h5bukrijteeuklgq+state:results
See the latest redesign proposal here
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/XWikiOrgProposal2

Thanks,
Silvia
Silvia Rusu
Tester & Documentation Writer - XWiki
http://twitter.com/silviarusu

Re: [xwiki-devs] Implementing the XWiki.org Redesign

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 17:18, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Silvia,
>
> On Apr 15, 2010, at 4:58 PM, Silvia Rusu wrote:
>
>> Hi XWiki devs & users,
>>
>> So far we've been talking a lot about redesigning XWiki.org and all
>> feedback was greatly appreciated. Now it's time we started implementing
>> the redesign Caty was so kind to come up with based on our suggestions.
>>
>> Like the proposal stage this too will be a collaborative effort and we
>> hope you'll join in building an even better site for XWiki.org. The
>> following is a list of things that need to be implemented in order to
>> get us started. It would be great if  you'd volunteer for the
>> implementation of the tasks at hand. Please add your name next to the
>> issue you'd like to assign yourself too. Also feel free to add as many
>> other issues you think should appear on the list and to volunteer for
>> those issues as well.
>>
>> Here is the first list of tasks:
>>

>> * Set up the server for the new website (Alex? :) )
>
> Is this needed? Cannot we instead morph the current xwiki.org? I'd prefer this over a migration since otherwise it's a bit painful and would require scripts to copy pages and there'll be a merge need. I did this the first time and it took me a lot of time. We could prepare pages in the draft zone and move them when they're ready for example.

+1

>> * Add the horizontal navigation to the new website
>>
>> * Implement the projects carousel for the homepage
>>
>> * Implement the panels for "Latest Releases", "Latest Extensions".
>> "Latest News"(should display the latest 5 releases, extensions, news)
>>

>> Documentation/Projects
>>
>> * Implement the left navigation for documentation/projects
>>
>> * Implement the panel for the "Latest Documentation Updates" (should
>> display the last 5 documents and their authors)
>>

>> Community page widgets and panels:
>>
>> * Implement the"Development Status" panel, if it's going to have dynamic
>> content
>>
>> * Implement the "Top Committers" panel (show the committer's picture and
>> number of commits)
>>
>> * Implement the "Latest Commits" section (should display an image of the
>> committer, what (s)he commited, the name of the committer and the date
>> the commit was made)
>>
>> * Implement the "Latest Issues" section (should have the latest Jira
>> issues, the person who took an action with regard to the issue - e.g.
>> create, close - and the time the action was taken)
>>
>> * Implement the "Latest Discussion" section (display the list, the topic
>> discussed, the name of the person that added the latest reply and the
>> time he added the answer)
>>
>> * Implement the "Latest Documentation" section (show the number of lines
>> added/deleted, the name of the document, the author of the modification
>> and the time (s)he made the changes)
>>
>> * Implement "Latest Extensions" section (display the extension name, the
>> name of the person that added the extension, the time it was added and a
>> short description)
>>

>> You may read what has already been discussed about the redesign  on this
>> page
>> http://markmail.org/message/tfmrludhw2yh5tcn#query:+page:1+mid:h5bukrijteeuklgq+state:results
>> See the latest redesign proposal here
>> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/XWikiOrgProposal2
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Silvia

Re: [xwiki-devs] Implementing the XWiki.org Redesign

Elena-Oana Tabaranu
Hi community,

The new design looks really nice.
I would gladly help on the Home page / Documentation / Projects panels.
For the carousel this looks like a nice library build on top of
prototype and scriptaculous:
http://code.google.com/p/prototype-carousel/

Oana

Oana Tabaranu