Improvements to L10N to see a quick status by language

Improvements to L10N to see a quick status by language

I've done some improvements on L10N to allow to have a status of the
Platform/XE/XEM translations by language.

The supported language panel now points to this page:

http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/StatusByLanguage?language=fr

which shows how many missing translations we have for each bundle of
Platform/XE/XEM.

Note that the first time this page is called for a language it is a bit
slow, then the data is saved in cache until there is a new translation
added. You need to be logged in to see the data.

Founder and CEO
Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Re: Improvements to L10N to see a quick status by language

xrichard
Perfect! I was wondering how to follow translation / have a translation
status for a language... you have done it ;-) thanks.

Is there an easy way to find a translation in "all properties files" from
its label? Because I find sometimes missing or erroneous translations but
I'm not able to find it among the differents XWiki "packages" to indicate
it in my Jira report issue.

Regards,

2013/1/17 Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> I've done some improvements on L10N to allow to have a status of the
> Platform/XE/XEM translations by language.
>
> The supported language panel now points to this page:
>
> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/StatusByLanguage?language=fr
>
> which shows how many missing translations we have for each bundle of
> Platform/XE/XEM.
>
> Note that the first time this page is called for a language it is a bit
> slow, then the data is saved in cache until there is a new translation
> added. You need to be logged in to see the data.
>
> Ludovic
>
> --
> Ludovic Dubost
> Founder and CEO
> Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Re: Improvements to L10N to see a quick status by language

Yes you can use the search panel on the top left side or go directly
to l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/Search. This is searching
everywhere.

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM, Ldm Public <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perfect! I was wondering how to follow translation / have a translation
> status for a language... you have done it ;-) thanks.
>
> Is there an easy way to find a translation in "all properties files" from
> its label? Because I find sometimes missing or erroneous translations but
> I'm not able to find it among the differents XWiki "packages" to indicate
> it in my Jira report issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> 2013/1/17 Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've done some improvements on L10N to allow to have a status of the
>> Platform/XE/XEM translations by language.
>>
>> The supported language panel now points to this page:
>>
>> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/StatusByLanguage?language=fr
>>
>> which shows how many missing translations we have for each bundle of
>> Platform/XE/XEM.
>>
>> Note that the first time this page is called for a language it is a bit
>> slow, then the data is saved in cache until there is a new translation
>> added. You need to be logged in to see the data.
>>
>> Ludovic
>>
>> --
>> Ludovic Dubost
>> Founder and CEO
>> Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
>> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
>> Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Re: Improvements to L10N to see a quick status by language

Cool, thanks Ludovic!

Now we just need to fix the speed and reboots on L10N and we're good :)

-Vincent

On Jan 17, 2013, at 11:13 PM, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've done some improvements on L10N to allow to have a status of the
> Platform/XE/XEM translations by language.
>
> The supported language panel now points to this page:
>
> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/StatusByLanguage?language=fr
>
> which shows how many missing translations we have for each bundle of
> Platform/XE/XEM.
>
> Note that the first time this page is called for a language it is a bit
> slow, then the data is saved in cache until there is a new translation
> added. You need to be logged in to see the data.
>
> Ludovic

Re: Improvements to L10N to see a quick status by language

Note that the supported languages panel was and still seems to be
contextual (the link was pointing to the rules in a particular context
since different applicaions could have different rules) and with your
change the links only works when on main page right now.

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've done some improvements on L10N to allow to have a status of the
> Platform/XE/XEM translations by language.
>
> The supported language panel now points to this page:
>
> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/StatusByLanguage?language=fr
>
> which shows how many missing translations we have for each bundle of
> Platform/XE/XEM.
>
> Note that the first time this page is called for a language it is a bit
> slow, then the data is saved in cache until there is a new translation
> added. You need to be logged in to see the data.
>
> Ludovic
>
> --
> Ludovic Dubost
> Founder and CEO
> Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Re: Improvements to L10N to see a quick status by language

Ludovic Dubost
Right.. ok what we can do is change and put a rules link in the panel and
let the language text link to my new page.

WDYT ?

2013/1/18 Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>

> Note that the supported languages panel was and still seems to be
> contextual (the link was pointing to the rules in a particular context
> since different applicaions could have different rules) and with your
> change the links only works when on main page right now.
>
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've done some improvements on L10N to allow to have a status of the
> > Platform/XE/XEM translations by language.
> >
> > The supported language panel now points to this page:
> >
> > http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/StatusByLanguage?language=fr
> >
> > which shows how many missing translations we have for each bundle of
> > Platform/XE/XEM.
> >
> > Note that the first time this page is called for a language it is a bit
> > slow, then the data is saved in cache until there is a new translation
> > added. You need to be logged in to see the data.
> >
> > Ludovic
> >
> > --
> > Ludovic Dubost
> > Founder and CEO
> > Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
> > XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> > Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Founder and CEO
Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Re: Improvements to L10N to see a quick status by language

You could link always to your new page but with the context in
parameter to produce the right rule link.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Right.. ok what we can do is change and put a rules link in the panel and
> let the language text link to my new page.
>
> WDYT ?
>

> 2013/1/18 Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
>
>> Note that the supported languages panel was and still seems to be
>> contextual (the link was pointing to the rules in a particular context
>> since different applicaions could have different rules) and with your
>> change the links only works when on main page right now.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've done some improvements on L10N to allow to have a status of the
>> > Platform/XE/XEM translations by language.
>> >
>> > The supported language panel now points to this page:
>> >
>> > http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/StatusByLanguage?language=fr
>> >
>> > which shows how many missing translations we have for each bundle of
>> > Platform/XE/XEM.
>> >
>> > Note that the first time this page is called for a language it is a bit
>> > slow, then the data is saved in cache until there is a new translation
>> > added. You need to be logged in to see the data.
>> >
>> > Ludovic
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ludovic Dubost
>> > Founder and CEO
>> > Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
>> > XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
>> > Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

>> Thomas Mortagne

> Ludovic Dubost
> Founder and CEO
> Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Re: Improvements to L10N to see a quick status by language

You could even use that context to produce a result only for that
context instead of the whole wiki, would be nice too.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> You could link always to your new page but with the context in
> parameter to produce the right rule link.
>
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Right.. ok what we can do is change and put a rules link in the panel and
>> let the language text link to my new page.
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>

>> 2013/1/18 Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Note that the supported languages panel was and still seems to be
>>> contextual (the link was pointing to the rules in a particular context
>>> since different applicaions could have different rules) and with your
>>> change the links only works when on main page right now.

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne

>> Ludovic Dubost
>> Founder and CEO
>> Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
>> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
>> Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Re: Improvements to L10N to see a quick status by language

I can try to look into this. What we can do I think is:

1/ Move to custom mapping of the translations class
  - requires migrating the data
  - requires rewriting the queries use throughout the application

This should speed up all calculations.

2/ Move counting of missing translations in it's own data set and use a
scheduler job to recalculate regularly these counts
  - requires informing the user that data might not be fully up to date,
and eventually put a button to recalculate for a specific language/project
  - the best contributor ranking would not necessarly need a refresh and
would only need to be calculated from time to time
  - we can use this opportunity to display some full counts of missing
translations for a country/project including a rnaking by country which is
not doable right now

I believe that these are the most costly operations at this point. Moving
towards pre-calculated data would speed up things incredibly.

If that seems ok for all I would do the following:

- take the L10N app locally and setup custom mapping
- rewrite the queries for both real time calculation and scheduler based
calculation
- migrate L10N by taking it offline half a day
- create the new classes to hold the pre-calculated data
- implement the scheduler job to preform the calculation and save to the
new classes
- implement the queries to display calculations from the pre-calculated data
- add some new queries to get a full language ranking

WDYT ?

Ludovic