In the XE Manager, how is the control site selected?

In the XE Manager, how is the control site selected?

Lee Chalupa
I tried to upgrade my XE version to XEM.  I got it working.

I setup 5 sites plus what I call the "control" site.

Everything seemed to be going well until Last night. One of the

Farm sites (1 of 5) is no longer displaying it's home page correctly. When I
type in it's url,

It displays the "control" site.  The other 4 farm sites come up ok as usual.

How do I fix this?  Is there some parameter someplace that identifies the
wiki site that is

The control site and which ones are farm sites?

Please advise.

Lee

Re: In the XE Manager, how is the control site selected?

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 00:23, Lee Chalupa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried to upgrade my XE version to XEM.  I got it working.
>

> I setup 5 sites plus what I call the "control" site.
>

> Everything seemed to be going well until Last night. One of the
>
> Farm sites (1 of 5) is no longer displaying it's home page correctly. When I
> type in it's url,
>
> It displays the "control" site.  The other 4 farm sites come up ok as usual.
>

> How do I fix this?  Is there some parameter someplace that identifies the
> wiki site that is
>
> The control site and which ones are farm sites?

I'm not sure what you are calling the "control site" but the main wiki
which contains all the wikis descriptors has the identifier "xwiki"
and can be always reached by accessing the wiki using the IP if you
have doubt about your descriptors. Then you can list/edit all the wiki
by going to Wiki Manager on /WikiManager/ space home page.

See XEM administration documentation at
http://manager.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/ for more details.

> Please advise.
>

> Lee

Re: In the XE Manager, how is the control site selected?

Lee Chalupa

>I'm not sure what you are calling the "control site" but the main wiki
>which contains all the wikis descriptors has the identifier "xwiki"
>and can be always reached by accessing the wiki using the IP if you
>have doubt about your descriptors. Then you can list/edit all the wiki
>by going to Wiki Manager on /WikiManager/ space home page.

Ok the "control site" I'm refering to is the main wiki you mention.
I was able to access the main wiki via the IP address.

Let me try again to descibe the symptom I'm encountering.

1.  I have 5 virtual wikis setup and working.  Four of them
are not having a problem.  I enter their url with the proper subdomain
and they all come up fine.

2.  When I enter the url for the fifth virtual wiki, with a subdomain of "see", I get the "wiki administrator of your wiki farm"  page Not the home page for the "see" wiki.

3.  How do I correct this problem so when I enter the "see" subdomain I get the the "see" virtual site?

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 04:36, Lee Chalupa <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>I'm not sure what you are calling the "control site" but the main wiki
>>which contains all the wikis descriptors has the identifier "xwiki"
>>and can be always reached by accessing the wiki using the IP if you
>>have doubt about your descriptors. Then you can list/edit all the wiki
>>by going to Wiki Manager on /WikiManager/ space home page.
>
> Ok the "control site" I'm refering to is the main wiki you mention.
> I was able to access the main wiki via the IP address.
>
> Let me try again to descibe the symptom I'm encountering.
>
> 1.  I have 5 virtual wikis setup and working.  Four of them
> are not having a problem.  I enter their url with the proper subdomain
> and they all come up fine.
>
> 2.  When I enter the url for the fifth virtual wiki, with a subdomain of "see", I get the "wiki administrator of your wiki farm"  page Not the home page for the "see" wiki.
>
> 3.  How do I correct this problem so when I enter the "see" subdomain I get the the "see" virtual site?

Note that the full host name is used to point the wiki and not the
subdomain so your descriptor aliases has to be full host
(wwwi.xwiki.org and not just www). Only when no descriptor is found
the first part of the host (the subdomain most of the time) is used to
match the wiki identifier. For example if code.xwiki.org can't match
any wiki descriptor alias, XWiki is searching for a wiki called "code"
(XWiki.XWikiServerCode page).

See http://manager.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/AccessWiki for
more details.

> Please advise.
> Lee

Re: In the XE Manager, how is the control site selected?

Lee Chalupa

>Note that the full host name is used to point the wiki and not the
>subdomain so your descriptor aliases has to be full host
>(wwwi.xwiki.org and not just www). Only when no descriptor is found
>the first part of the host (the subdomain most of the time) is used to
>match the wiki identifier. For example if code.xwiki.org can't match
any wiki descriptor alias, XWiki is searching for a wiki called "code"
>(XWiki.XWikiServerCode page).

Ok. I understand. Thank you.

I think I figured out what is going on.  The correct virtual wiki that I requested via the url
is coming up.  What confused me is the first page that comes us should be a customized page
I made. But instead, it's the Wiki Administrator page...making me think that I'm getting the main wiki
and not the virtual wiki I selected.  When I look in the index at the name of t he pages, I can confirm
that I'm in the right wiki.

The trouble began when I tried to install the Virtual Wiki Manager via a couple of different methods. Very confusing for me. This must have over laid my custom page.

So I'm close to fixing this and I don't want to screw it up again. Can you coach me on how to correct this.
I want the first page that comes up on this wiki to be a custom page I made in liueu of this admin page.
I tried to just edit the page, but it started throwing velocity exceptions...

Thanks for your help.  What a relief.

Lee

Re: In the XE Manager, how is the control site selected?

Manfred-2
Hi Lee,

 I'm no expert on this by any means, but I suspect that removing the Admin page (I assume you mean the XEM main page) will cause you problems in that you would find it difficult-impossible to administer your created Wikis (i.e the wikis in your 'farm')

Why not just give your users the direct link to their wiki home page they want and leave the XEM wiki admin login for yourself.

In my case I havent setup host/domain names (the default XEM approach) so I am using the URL approach to get to my wiki home pages - i.e. the pages the users are going to see and work in.

So for me I use (assuming I'm at the server) I use custom port 8380 so you may need to change this your side, and of course the access IP as well.

http://127.0.0.1:8380/xwiki/bin/view/Main
gets me to the Welcome to Wiki administrator page - the farm management page

I then created ia 2 wikis - one called 'home' and the other 'projects' so now.

http://127.0.0.1:8380/xwiki/wiki/home
gets me to my first wiki of the farm - which I called home

http://127.0.0.1:8380/xwiki/wiki/home
gets me to the project specific wiki of the farm

---------

to get the above working requires about 3 line edits in xwiki.cfg

the docs for it are at http://manager.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/AccessWiki
---

Alternatively there is the host/domain approach where I could have something like

home.mydomain.local

or projects.mydomain.local

This is the default approach used by XEM. It looked to be a bit more RTFM to setup so I've skipped trying it for now.

See http://manager.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/AccessWiki#HThedomainnamebasedwikiaccess

HTH

Cheers

>I want the first page that comes up on this wiki to be a custom page I made in lieu of this admin page.
>I tried to just edit the page, but it started throwing velocity exceptions...

Re: In the XE Manager, how is the control site selected?

Lee Chalupa

<quote author="Manfred-2">

Manfred thanks for the response.

It's so hard to try to get all the relevant facts in an email.

In my situation, the main wiki site is operational with it's own
home page.

On the site I'm trying to recover, it also has the same "main" wiki
homepage as the xwiki site.

I think what I want to do is get rid of this page and replace it with a custom
page.  I'm just not sure how to do this.

Lee

Re: In the XE Manager, how is the control site selected?

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
Lee Chalupa wrote:

> Manfred thanks for the response.
>
> It's so hard to try to get all the relevant facts in an email.
>
> In my situation, the main wiki site is operational with it's own
> home page.
>
> On the site I'm trying to recover, it also has the same "main" wiki
> homepage as the xwiki site.
>
> I think what I want to do is get rid of this page and replace it with a custom
> page.  I'm just not sure how to do this.

Any wiki page is just a wiki page. "Everything is a document", as our
internal motto goes.

To be on the safe side, start by renaming the current main page to a
place where you'll find it when needed, and where it won't get in the
way of your future busy & happy workers. This is located in the
Action->Rename menu entry (on the top of the page, if you have
administrator rights).

After that, when you go back to the main page it should be nice and
empty ("This document does not exist"). You can indeed edit it, and put
whatever content you want in it.
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/