Installing new XWiki skins

Stephen Schaub
Francois Constant posted some nice-looking skins on this page:

http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Dev/Skins

However, I wasn't able to figure out how to install them.

There is a link to a topic on HowToCreateASkin, but it isn't clear to me how
to apply the information on that page to install a pre-packaged skin.

If someone could provide some pointers, I would be glad to edit the page and
add the necessary info.

Regards,

Stephen

Re: Installing new XWiki skins

Skins are currently not properly packaged.. At this point you need to
replace the default files using the ones in the zip files.
In the future we plan to deliver a skin as one file that can be
installed locally or in the the wiki.. There is still work for this.

Ludovic

Stephen Schaub wrote:

> Francois Constant posted some nice-looking skins on this page:
>
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Dev/Skins
>
> However, I wasn't able to figure out how to install them.
>
> There is a link to a topic on HowToCreateASkin, but it isn't clear to
> me how to apply the information on that page to install a pre-packaged
> skin.
>
> If someone could provide some pointers, I would be glad to edit the
> page and add the necessary info.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephen

Re: Installing new XWiki skins

Stephen Schaub
I'm not sure I understand completely -- when you say "you need to replace
the default files using the ones in the zip files" that it's not possible
for a single XWiki instance to support multiple skins? It looks like the
design is in place for each space to have its own skin... just wondering.

Assuming an XWiki instance can support only one skin, to install the files,
do I replace files in xwiki\skins\default and xwiki\templates with the ones
provided with the skin zip?

Stephen

>From: Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] Installing new XWiki skins
>Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:09:39 +0200
>

>Hi,
>
>Skins are currently not properly packaged.. At this point you need to
>replace the default files using the ones in the zip files.
>In the future we plan to deliver a skin as one file that can be installed
>locally or in the the wiki.. There is still work for this.
>
>Ludovic
>
>Stephen Schaub wrote:
>>Francois Constant posted some nice-looking skins on this page:
>>
>>http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Dev/Skins
>>
>>However, I wasn't able to figure out how to install them.
>>
>>There is a link to a topic on HowToCreateASkin, but it isn't clear to me
>>how to apply the information on that page to install a pre-packaged skin.
>>
>>If someone could provide some pointers, I would be glad to edit the page
>>and add the necessary info.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Stephen

Re: Installing new XWiki skins

Ludovic Dubost

Yes it does support multiple skins but as I said the package is not
correctly packaged..
If you want to make a 'real' skin you need to put all the files in the
zip in a directory called 'newskin' in the skins directory..
You can then use the 'newskin' skin in the preferences

Ludovic

Stephen Schaub wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand completely -- when you say "you need to
> replace the default files using the ones in the zip files" that it's
> not possible for a single XWiki instance to support multiple skins? It
> looks like the design is in place for each space to have its own
> skin... just wondering.
>
> Assuming an XWiki instance can support only one skin, to install the
> files, do I replace files in xwiki\skins\default and xwiki\templates
> with the ones provided with the skin zip?
>
> Stephen
>

>> From: Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] Installing new XWiki skins
>> Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:09:39 +0200
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Skins are currently not properly packaged.. At this point you need to
>> replace the default files using the ones in the zip files.
>> In the future we plan to deliver a skin as one file that can be
>> installed locally or in the the wiki.. There is still work for this.
>>
>> Ludovic
>>
>> Stephen Schaub wrote:
>>> Francois Constant posted some nice-looking skins on this page:
>>>
>>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Dev/Skins
>>>
>>> However, I wasn't able to figure out how to install them.
>>>
>>> There is a link to a topic on HowToCreateASkin, but it isn't clear
>>> to me how to apply the information on that page to install a
>>> pre-packaged skin.
>>>
>>> If someone could provide some pointers, I would be glad to edit the
>>> page and add the necessary info.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Stephen

Re: Installing new XWiki skins

cburleso

Do a search for the file "MySkin". Probably it is XWiki.MySkin. Navigate to the page and click "Edit this skin".

You will see several form fields:
  • Name
  • Style
  • Header
  • Footer
  • View
  • ViehHeader
  • Etc

When the contents of these fields are empty, XWiki defaults to the files in the WAR installation. So, for example, if you want to gain control at the UI layer of your header.vm file, get the contents of header.vm and paste it into the header field. Then it will override.

So, for example also, notice that there are style sheet includes for a bunch of CSS files in the Style field. Get the real contents of one of those files and paste it into the Style field. Then remove the import line. Now, you have access to that style from within the XWiki UI.

We should really write up a much clearer tutorial for this. It is a very powerful capability.

==================================
Cody Burleson
IBM, Business Consulting Services
On Demand Workplaces
"Simplifying access to content, applications, people and processes."

Current Client Office (Mon - Thur): (404) 828-4583
Home Office [Friday, Sat. Sun. or email a voice message]: (214) 233.3546
Cell [anytime]: (214) 537-8783
Email: [hidden email]

"Stephen Schaub" <[hidden email]>

09/03/2005 02:40 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [xwiki-users] Installing new XWiki skins

I'm not sure I understand completely -- when you say "you need to replace
the default files using the ones in the zip files" that it's not possible
for a single XWiki instance to support multiple skins? It looks like the
design is in place for each space to have its own skin... just wondering.

Assuming an XWiki instance can support only one skin, to install the files,
do I replace files in xwiki\skins\default and xwiki\templates with the ones
provided with the skin zip?

Stephen

>From: Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] Installing new XWiki skins
>Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:09:39 +0200
>

>Hi,
>
>Skins are currently not properly packaged.. At this point you need to
>replace the default files using the ones in the zip files.
>In the future we plan to deliver a skin as one file that can be installed
>locally or in the the wiki.. There is still work for this.
>
>Ludovic
>
>Stephen Schaub wrote:
>>Francois Constant posted some nice-looking skins on this page:
>>
>>http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Dev/Skins
>>
>>However, I wasn't able to figure out how to install them.
>>
>>There is a link to a topic on HowToCreateASkin, but it isn't clear to me
>>how to apply the information on that page to install a pre-packaged skin.
>>
>>If someone could provide some pointers, I would be glad to edit the page
>>and add the necessary info.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Stephen

Re: Installing new XWiki skins

Stephen Schaub
Here's what I tried:

1. Downloaded blue-skin.zip
2. Created empty .../xwiki/bin/view/XWiki/BlueSkin page
3. Attached all the files in the blue-skin folder inside blue-skin.zip  to
the XWiki/BlueSkin page
4. Chose More Actions > Edit Objects
5. Selected XWiki.XWikiSkins from the classes list and clicked "Add Object
from this Class"
6. Edited the Name field and set to "XWiki.BlueSkin"
7. Copied the contents of header.vm in the template folder inside
blue-skin.zip to the Header field
8. Edited the "Base Skin" field and set it to "XWiki.MySkin"
9. Save.
10. Navigated to my space. Chose More Actions> Space Preferences, went to
the Skin section, and set the Skin field to XWiki.MySkin, and Default
Stylesheet to style.css
11. Saved, then navigated to my space home page. There was a small change
(the XWiki logo changed -- but didn't look like the one in the skin), but
not much.

What am I missing?

By the way, adding 46 attachments in step 3 was tedious...

Stephen

> [...]
> >Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:09:39 +0200
> >

> >Hi,
> >
> >Skins are currently not properly packaged.. At this point you need to
> >replace the default files using the ones in the zip files.
> >In the future we plan to deliver a skin as one file that can be installed
>
> >locally or in the the wiki.. There is still work for this.
> >
> >Ludovic
> >
> >Stephen Schaub wrote:
> >>Francois Constant posted some nice-looking skins on this page:
> >>
> >>http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Dev/Skins
> >>
> >>However, I wasn't able to figure out how to install them.
> >>
> >>There is a link to a topic on HowToCreateASkin, but it isn't clear to me
>
> >>how to apply the information on that page to install a pre-packaged
>skin.
> >>
> >>If someone could provide some pointers, I would be glad to edit the page

No ! This can't work..

Either you create a subdirectory in webapps/xwiki/skins/blueskin/ and
put all the files in there (without subdirectories) and use the name
'blueskin' in the XWiki Preferences.

Or you can:

1/ create an empty page XWiki/BlueSkin
2/ add the object
3/ ignore the name field
4/ set baseskin to 'default'
5/ each template needs to be copied into the corresponding field. Same
for the style.css file
6/ image and javascript files should be attached to the page
7/ use XWiki.BlueSkin in the preferences

Ludovic

Stephen Schaub wrote:

> [...]
>> design is in place for each space to have its own skin... just
>> wondering.
>>
>> Assuming an XWiki instance can support only one skin, to install the
>> files,
>> do I replace files in xwiki\skins\default and xwiki\templates with the
>> ones
>> provided with the skin zip?
>>
>> Stephen
>>

>> >From: Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>
>> >To: [hidden email]
>> >Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] Installing new XWiki skins
>> >Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:09:39 +0200
>> >

>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >Skins are currently not properly packaged.. At this point you need to
>> >replace the default files using the ones in the zip files.
>> >In the future we plan to deliver a skin as one file that can be
>> installed
>>
>> >locally or in the the wiki.. There is still work for this.

Thanks for your reply, Ludovic. One question of clarification below:

>From: Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] Installing new XWiki skins
>Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:00:14 +0200
>

>No ! This can't work..
>
>Either you create a subdirectory in webapps/xwiki/skins/blueskin/ and put
>all the files in there (without subdirectories) and use the name 'blueskin'
>in the XWiki Preferences.
This sounds like the easy way to go. Let me just verify that by "all the
files" you mean both the .vm files as well as the .css/.jpg/etc. files.

> [...]
>>>design is in place for each space to have its own skin... just wondering.
>>>
>>>Assuming an XWiki instance can support only one skin, to install the
>>>files,
>>>do I replace files in xwiki\skins\default and xwiki\templates with the
>>>ones
>>>provided with the skin zip?
>>>
>>>Stephen

>>>installed

>>>me

>>>skin.

>>>page

>--
>Ludovic Dubost
>XPertNet: http://www.xpertnet.fr/
>Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
>XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
>Skype: ldubost AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic
>

>--
>You receive this message as a subscriber of the [hidden email]

all the files: vm, css, js, jpg, gif in the same directory

Ludovic