[Introduction][GSoC]

Sarthak Gupta
Hi Everyone,
I am Sarthak Gupta from India. First of all I want to thank XWiki community
for selecting me for GSoC-17 and giving me a priceless opportunity to
contribute to this organisation and improve my present skills. I also want
to thank all the XWikiers who helped me during the application period for
understanding the project as well as the organisation. :)

I have been selected for for the project "*Glossary Application*" under the
mentorship of *Vincent Massol* and *Paul Libbrecht*.

Glossary Application
<http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/#HGlossaryApplicationbySarthakGupta>

Some more info:

Presently I have only solved one issue (
https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/BLOG-32)on *jira* but will try to solve more
during the upcoming period for better understanding of the organisation.

I have already created a design page for the project
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/GlossaryApplication and
will be updating it regularly as the project progresses.

Github user name   : sarthak-sopho <https://github.com/sarthak-sopho>
xwiki.org username : sgc_072
jira username          : sgc_072
IRC nick                   : sgc_072 (also used sgc072 in past)

I am also planning to create a blog regarding my GSoC project in the near
future (on one of the popular blogging sites).

I will try to remain active and chatty(*as said by Eduard Moraru* :P) on
both IRC and the mailing list in the coming period.

I hope that this will be a good and enjoyable learning experience for me
and with your support I will complete this project successfully with flying
colours. :D

Thank You
Sarthak Gupta

P.S : I am really sorry for the delay in introduction. Due to my end
semester       examination and travelling to my home, I was not able to
introduce myself on time. Now I have summer vacations and a lot of a work
to do. :P

Re: [Introduction][GSoC]

Welcome to the community :)

Caty

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> I am Sarthak Gupta from India. First of all I want to thank XWiki community
> for selecting me for GSoC-17 and giving me a priceless opportunity to
> contribute to this organisation and improve my present skills. I also want
> to thank all the XWikiers who helped me during the application period for
> understanding the project as well as the organisation. :)
>
> I have been selected for for the project "*Glossary Application*" under the
> mentorship of *Vincent Massol* and *Paul Libbrecht*.
>
> Glossary Application
> <http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/#
> HGlossaryApplicationbySarthakGupta>
>
> Some more info:
>
> Presently I have only solved one issue (
> https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/BLOG-32)on *jira* but will try to solve more
> during the upcoming period for better understanding of the organisation.
>
> I have already created a design page for the project
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/GlossaryApplication and
> will be updating it regularly as the project progresses.
>
> Github user name   : sarthak-sopho <https://github.com/sarthak-sopho>
> xwiki.org username : sgc_072
> jira username          : sgc_072
> IRC nick                   : sgc_072 (also used sgc072 in past)
>
> I am also planning to create a blog regarding my GSoC project in the near
> future (on one of the popular blogging sites).
>
> I will try to remain active and chatty(*as said by Eduard Moraru* :P) on
> both IRC and the mailing list in the coming period.
>
> I hope that this will be a good and enjoyable learning experience for me
> and with your support I will complete this project successfully with flying
> colours. :D
>
> Thank You
> Sarthak Gupta
>
> P.S : I am really sorry for the delay in introduction. Due to my end
> semester       examination and travelling to my home, I was not able to
> introduce myself on time. Now I have summer vacations and a lot of a work
> to do. :P

Re: [Introduction][GSoC]

Eduard Moraru
Welcome aboard, Sarthak :)

-Eduard

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Welcome to the community :)
>
> Caty
>
> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> > I am Sarthak Gupta from India. First of all I want to thank XWiki
> community
> > for selecting me for GSoC-17 and giving me a priceless opportunity to
> > contribute to this organisation and improve my present skills. I also
> want
> > to thank all the XWikiers who helped me during the application period for
> > understanding the project as well as the organisation. :)
> >
> > I have been selected for for the project "*Glossary Application*" under
> the
> > mentorship of *Vincent Massol* and *Paul Libbrecht*.
> >
> > Glossary Application
> > <http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/#
> > HGlossaryApplicationbySarthakGupta>
> >
> > Some more info:
> >
> > Presently I have only solved one issue (
> > https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/BLOG-32)on *jira* but will try to solve
> more
> > during the upcoming period for better understanding of the organisation.
> >
> > I have already created a design page for the project
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/GlossaryApplication and
> > will be updating it regularly as the project progresses.
> >
> > Github user name   : sarthak-sopho <https://github.com/sarthak-sopho>
> > xwiki.org username : sgc_072
> > jira username          : sgc_072
> > IRC nick                   : sgc_072 (also used sgc072 in past)
> >
> > I am also planning to create a blog regarding my GSoC project in the near
> > future (on one of the popular blogging sites).
> >
> > I will try to remain active and chatty(*as said by Eduard Moraru* :P) on
> > both IRC and the mailing list in the coming period.
> >
> > I hope that this will be a good and enjoyable learning experience for me
> > and with your support I will complete this project successfully with
> flying
> > colours. :D
> >
> > Thank You
> > Sarthak Gupta
> >
> > P.S : I am really sorry for the delay in introduction. Due to my end
> > semester       examination and travelling to my home, I was not able to
> > introduce myself on time. Now I have summer vacations and a lot of a work
> > to do. :P

Re: [Introduction][GSoC]

Welcome Sarthak !

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Welcome aboard, Sarthak :)
>
> -Eduard
>
> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Welcome to the community :)
>>
>> Caty
>>
>> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Everyone,
>> > I am Sarthak Gupta from India. First of all I want to thank XWiki
>> community
>> > for selecting me for GSoC-17 and giving me a priceless opportunity to
>> > contribute to this organisation and improve my present skills. I also
>> want
>> > to thank all the XWikiers who helped me during the application period for
>> > understanding the project as well as the organisation. :)
>> >
>> > I have been selected for for the project "*Glossary Application*" under
>> the
>> > mentorship of *Vincent Massol* and *Paul Libbrecht*.
>> >
>> > Glossary Application
>> > <http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/#
>> > HGlossaryApplicationbySarthakGupta>
>> >
>> > Some more info:
>> >
>> > Presently I have only solved one issue (
>> > https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/BLOG-32)on *jira* but will try to solve
>> more
>> > during the upcoming period for better understanding of the organisation.
>> >
>> > I have already created a design page for the project
>> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/GlossaryApplication and
>> > will be updating it regularly as the project progresses.
>> >
>> > Github user name   : sarthak-sopho <https://github.com/sarthak-sopho>
>> > xwiki.org username : sgc_072
>> > jira username          : sgc_072
>> > IRC nick                   : sgc_072 (also used sgc072 in past)
>> >
>> > I am also planning to create a blog regarding my GSoC project in the near
>> > future (on one of the popular blogging sites).
>> >
>> > I will try to remain active and chatty(*as said by Eduard Moraru* :P) on
>> > both IRC and the mailing list in the coming period.
>> >
>> > I hope that this will be a good and enjoyable learning experience for me
>> > and with your support I will complete this project successfully with
>> flying
>> > colours. :D
>> >
>> > Thank You
>> > Sarthak Gupta
>> >
>> > P.S : I am really sorry for the delay in introduction. Due to my end
>> > semester       examination and travelling to my home, I was not able to
>> > introduce myself on time. Now I have summer vacations and a lot of a work
>> > to do. :P

Re: [Introduction][GSoC]

Welcome Sarthak!

wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> I am Sarthak Gupta from India. First of all I want to thank XWiki community
> for selecting me for GSoC-17 and giving me a priceless opportunity to
> contribute to this organisation and improve my present skills. I also want
> to thank all the XWikiers who helped me during the application period for
> understanding the project as well as the organisation. :)
>
> I have been selected for for the project "*Glossary Application*" under the
> mentorship of *Vincent Massol* and *Paul Libbrecht*.
>
> Glossary Application
> <http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/#
> HGlossaryApplicationbySarthakGupta>
>
> Some more info:
>
> Presently I have only solved one issue (
> https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/BLOG-32)on *jira* but will try to solve more
> during the upcoming period for better understanding of the organisation.
>
> I have already created a design page for the project
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/GlossaryApplication and
> will be updating it regularly as the project progresses.
>
> Github user name   : sarthak-sopho <https://github.com/sarthak-sopho>
> xwiki.org username : sgc_072
> jira username          : sgc_072
> IRC nick                   : sgc_072 (also used sgc072 in past)
>
> I am also planning to create a blog regarding my GSoC project in the near
> future (on one of the popular blogging sites).
>
> I will try to remain active and chatty(*as said by Eduard Moraru* :P) on
> both IRC and the mailing list in the coming period.
>
> I hope that this will be a good and enjoyable learning experience for me
> and with your support I will complete this project successfully with flying
> colours. :D
>
> Thank You
> Sarthak Gupta
>
> P.S : I am really sorry for the delay in introduction. Due to my end
> semester       examination and travelling to my home, I was not able to
> introduce myself on time. Now I have summer vacations and a lot of a work
> to do. :P

Re: [Introduction][GSoC]

Sarthak Gupta
Thanks Everyone,

I will try to update about my progress every week(Every Monday). I am
spending this week mainly learning about basics of Velocity and some more
on Java. Meanwhile I am also going through developers guide and looking for
issues that I can start with. Also I think I would have to think(and
research) about, what would be the requirements that I would need in the
initial stage of development of the "Glossary Application".

Thanks :)

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 8:21 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Welcome Sarthak!
>
> Thanks,
> Marius
>
> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> > I am Sarthak Gupta from India. First of all I want to thank XWiki
> community
> > for selecting me for GSoC-17 and giving me a priceless opportunity to
> > contribute to this organisation and improve my present skills. I also
> want
> > to thank all the XWikiers who helped me during the application period for
> > understanding the project as well as the organisation. :)
> >
> > I have been selected for for the project "*Glossary Application*" under
> the
> > mentorship of *Vincent Massol* and *Paul Libbrecht*.
> >
> > Glossary Application
> > <http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/#
> > HGlossaryApplicationbySarthakGupta>
> >
> > Some more info:
> >
> > Presently I have only solved one issue (
> > https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/BLOG-32)on *jira* but will try to solve
> more
> > during the upcoming period for better understanding of the organisation.
> >
> > I have already created a design page for the project
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/GlossaryApplication and
> > will be updating it regularly as the project progresses.
> >
> > Github user name   : sarthak-sopho <https://github.com/sarthak-sopho>
> > xwiki.org username : sgc_072
> > jira username          : sgc_072
> > IRC nick                   : sgc_072 (also used sgc072 in past)
> >
> > I am also planning to create a blog regarding my GSoC project in the near
> > future (on one of the popular blogging sites).
> >
> > I will try to remain active and chatty(*as said by Eduard Moraru* :P) on
> > both IRC and the mailing list in the coming period.
> >
> > I hope that this will be a good and enjoyable learning experience for me
> > and with your support I will complete this project successfully with
> flying
> > colours. :D
> >
> > Thank You
> > Sarthak Gupta
> >
> > P.S : I am really sorry for the delay in introduction. Due to my end
> > semester       examination and travelling to my home, I was not able to
> > introduce myself on time. Now I have summer vacations and a lot of a work
> > to do. :P

Re: [Introduction][GSoC]

Hi Sarthak,

> On 9 May 2017, at 12:56, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Everyone,
>
> I will try to update about my progress every week(Every Monday). I am
> spending this week mainly learning about basics of Velocity and some more
> on Java. Meanwhile I am also going through developers guide and looking for
> issues that I can start with. Also I think I would have to think(and
> research) about, what would be the requirements that I would need in the
> initial stage of development of the "Glossary Application”.

Welcome aboard! :)

To start with, I’d recommend that you follow the FAQ tutorial at http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/FAQTutorial/FAQTutorialManual

Have you done it already?

Also you should read a bit on how the xwiki project develops code. All the info is on the dev subwiki at http://dev.xwiki.org

Especially:
- http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices
- http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/CodeStyle
- http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Testing

Let us know when you’ve done all that. You should also pick and try to fix some simple jira issues:
https://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?jql=Difficulty%20%3D%20Easy%20and%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved

Let us know on IRC or on this list if you need some help. Please consider using martrix for IRC since it saves history and we can have a conversation even when you’re not connected, see:
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Chat

> Thanks :)
>
> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 8:21 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Welcome Sarthak!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marius
>>
>> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>> I am Sarthak Gupta from India. First of all I want to thank XWiki
>> community
>>> for selecting me for GSoC-17 and giving me a priceless opportunity to
>>> contribute to this organisation and improve my present skills. I also
>> want
>>> to thank all the XWikiers who helped me during the application period for
>>> understanding the project as well as the organisation. :)
>>>
>>> I have been selected for for the project "*Glossary Application*" under
>> the
>>> mentorship of *Vincent Massol* and *Paul Libbrecht*.
>>>
>>> Glossary Application
>>> <http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/#
>>> HGlossaryApplicationbySarthakGupta>
>>>
>>> Some more info:
>>>
>>> Presently I have only solved one issue (
>>> https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/BLOG-32)on *jira* but will try to solve
>> more
>>> during the upcoming period for better understanding of the organisation.
>>>
>>> I have already created a design page for the project
>>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/GlossaryApplication and
>>> will be updating it regularly as the project progresses.
>>>
>>> Github user name   : sarthak-sopho <https://github.com/sarthak-sopho>
>>> xwiki.org username : sgc_072
>>> jira username          : sgc_072
>>> IRC nick                   : sgc_072 (also used sgc072 in past)
>>>
>>> I am also planning to create a blog regarding my GSoC project in the near
>>> future (on one of the popular blogging sites).
>>>
>>> I will try to remain active and chatty(*as said by Eduard Moraru* :P) on
>>> both IRC and the mailing list in the coming period.
>>>
>>> I hope that this will be a good and enjoyable learning experience for me
>>> and with your support I will complete this project successfully with
>> flying
>>> colours. :D
>>>
>>> Thank You
>>> Sarthak Gupta
>>>
>>> P.S : I am really sorry for the delay in introduction. Due to my end
>>> semester       examination and travelling to my home, I was not able to
>>> introduce myself on time. Now I have summer vacations and a lot of a work
>>> to do. :P

Re: [Introduction][GSoC]

Sarthak Gupta
Hi Vincent,
I am done with the FAQ tutorial. I now have the basic idea that how a page
in XWiki is created. Though I am facing some difficulty with the syntax,
but I know it will come with time. :)
As far as I have understood there are generally two ways to create an
application in xwiki. The first one is by simply using AWM and another one
is by declaring data xobject(classes), following procedures afterward and
writing codes which certainly add more to the application.

I saw some slides by Guillaume Delhumeau about using velocity in XWiki.
Those have helped me a lot(Thanks, Guillaume!!).

I went through the following things

   - Continuous Integration doc. I understood the technique of Binary
   Dependency builds.
   - Coding styles on each of the languages that are used.
   - Back-end Development Practices:
      - Component module documentation.(I have to understand it more
      clearly, maybe later).
   - Front-end Dev Practices.
   - Building XWiki from sources.(Looked it in Application period too).
   - Basic Idea how testing is done. In a nutshell, each and everything is
   tested at each subsequent stage.

I have already asked most of my small doubts on IRC(some of them were silly
:P).
New IRC Handle: sarthakg

Thanks

Sarthak Gupta

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 10:11 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sarthak,
>
> > On 9 May 2017, at 12:56, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Everyone,
> >
> > I will try to update about my progress every week(Every Monday). I am
> > spending this week mainly learning about basics of Velocity and some more
> > on Java. Meanwhile I am also going through developers guide and looking
> for
> > issues that I can start with. Also I think I would have to think(and
> > research) about, what would be the requirements that I would need in the
> > initial stage of development of the "Glossary Application”.
>
> Welcome aboard! :)
>
> To start with, I’d recommend that you follow the FAQ tutorial at
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/
> FAQTutorial/FAQTutorialManual
>
> Have you done it already?
>
> Also you should read a bit on how the xwiki project develops code. All the
> info is on the dev subwiki at http://dev.xwiki.org
>
> Especially:
> - http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices
> - http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/CodeStyle
> - http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Testing
>
> Let us know when you’ve done all that. You should also pick and try to fix
> some simple jira issues:
> 20and%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved
>
> Let us know on IRC or on this list if you need some help. Please consider
> using martrix for IRC since it saves history and we can have a conversation
> even when you’re not connected, see:
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Chat

> > Thanks :)
> >
> > On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 8:21 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Welcome Sarthak!
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Marius
> >>
> >> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Sarthak Gupta <
> [hidden email]>

> >> community
> >> want
> for

> >> the

> >> more
> organisation.

> and

> near

> on

> me
> >> flying

> work

Re: [Introduction][GSoC]

Paul Libbrecht-2
Hello Sarthak,

so what’s your next steps?

It was recommended to endorse an issue. That could be one way to start.

But maybe before that, you could create one or two own applications beyond simple tutorials that would empower you with the tricks of page rendering?

paul

> [...]
>>
>> Welcome aboard! :)
>>
>> To start with, I’d recommend that you follow the FAQ tutorial at
>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/
>> FAQTutorial/FAQTutorialManual
>>
>> Have you done it already?
>>
>> Also you should read a bit on how the xwiki project develops code. All the
>> info is on the dev subwiki at http://dev.xwiki.org
>>
>> Especially:
>> - http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices
>> - http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/CodeStyle
>> - http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Testing
>>
>> Let us know when you’ve done all that. You should also pick and try to fix
>> some simple jira issues:
>> 20and%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved
>>
>> Let us know on IRC or on this list if you need some help. Please consider
>> using martrix for IRC since it saves history and we can have a conversation

Re: [Introduction][GSoC]

Sarthak Gupta
Hi Paul,

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:29 AM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Sarthak,
>
> so what’s your next steps?
>
> It was recommended to endorse an issue. That could be one way to start.
>
> But maybe before that, you could create one or two own applications beyond
> simple tutorials that would empower you with the tricks of page rendering?
>
> ​
I am not able to figure out what type of application should I develop.
Could you please provide me with some ideas, so that I am able to form a
mini proposal for myself and then work on it. I can come up with some ideas
but I don't know if it will take me in the right direction or not.

Thanks :)
Sarthak

> paul
>
> > On 15 May 2017, at 20:45, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Vincent,
> > I am done with the FAQ tutorial. I now have the basic idea that how a
> page
> > in XWiki is created. Though I am facing some difficulty with the syntax,
> > but I know it will come with time. :)
> > As far as I have understood there are generally two ways to create an
> > application in xwiki. The first one is by simply using AWM and another
> one
> > is by declaring data xobject(classes), following procedures afterward and
> > writing codes which certainly add more to the application.
> >
> > I saw some slides by Guillaume Delhumeau about using velocity in XWiki.
> > Those have helped me a lot(Thanks, Guillaume!!).
> >
> > I went through the following things
> >
> >  - Continuous Integration doc. I understood the technique of Binary
> >  Dependency builds.
> >  - Coding styles on each of the languages that are used.
> >  - Back-end Development Practices:
> >     - Component module documentation.(I have to understand it more
> >     clearly, maybe later).
> >  - Front-end Dev Practices.
> >  - Building XWiki from sources.(Looked it in Application period too).
> >  - Basic Idea how testing is done. In a nutshell, each and everything is
> >  tested at each subsequent stage.
> >
> > I have already asked most of my small doubts on IRC(some of them were
> silly
> > :P).
> > New IRC Handle: sarthakg
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Sarthak Gupta

Re: [Introduction][GSoC]

> On 16 May 2017, at 10:41, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul,
>

> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:29 AM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Sarthak,
>>
>> so what’s your next steps?
>>
>> It was recommended to endorse an issue. That could be one way to start.
>>
>> But maybe before that, you could create one or two own applications beyond
>> simple tutorials that would empower you with the tricks of page rendering?
>>
>> ​
> I am not able to figure out what type of application should I develop.
> Could you please provide me with some ideas, so that I am able to form a
> mini proposal for myself and then work on it. I can come up with some ideas
> but I don't know if it will take me in the right direction or not.

Yeah I’m not sure exactly what Paul meant… If you were to start developing a small app I’d start with a Glossary app since that’s very simple (for the simple version of it) ;) lol…

More seriously you could pick some easy jira issues or start developing the glossary app and regularly post on the devs list what you’re going to do and how you’re going to do it so that we can tell you if you’re going in the right direction or not.

When developing an app, please don’t use AWM since that gives a specific L&F and we don’t want that L&F for the apps we develop.

You could also start by doing some design mockups and propose them on the list.

Thanks!
-Vincent

> Thanks :)
> Sarthak
> ​
>
>> paul
>>
>>> On 15 May 2017, at 20:45, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>> I am done with the FAQ tutorial. I now have the basic idea that how a
>> page
>>> in XWiki is created. Though I am facing some difficulty with the syntax,
>>> but I know it will come with time. :)
>>> As far as I have understood there are generally two ways to create an
>>> application in xwiki. The first one is by simply using AWM and another
>> one
>>> is by declaring data xobject(classes), following procedures afterward and
>>> writing codes which certainly add more to the application.
>>>
>>> I saw some slides by Guillaume Delhumeau about using velocity in XWiki.
>>> Those have helped me a lot(Thanks, Guillaume!!).
>>>
>>> I went through the following things
>>>
>>> - Continuous Integration doc. I understood the technique of Binary
>>> Dependency builds.
>>> - Coding styles on each of the languages that are used.
>>> - Back-end Development Practices:
>>>    - Component module documentation.(I have to understand it more
>>>    clearly, maybe later).
>>> - Front-end Dev Practices.
>>> - Building XWiki from sources.(Looked it in Application period too).
>>> - Basic Idea how testing is done. In a nutshell, each and everything is
>>> tested at each subsequent stage.
>>>
>>> I have already asked most of my small doubts on IRC(some of them were
>> silly
>>> :P).
>>> New IRC Handle: sarthakg
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Sarthak Gupta

Re: [Introduction][GSoC]

Sarthak Gupta
Hi Vincent,
So basically I have to propose two designs:

   1. The first design will be of how this app will look like when it will
   work on different XWiki page. I am talking about the UI which includes:

   - hover feature when the mouse will hover over a glossary item on a page.
      - different display of items already present in glossary.

2. The second design will be of the home page of the glossary application
where different glossary items will be stored(as mentioned on Design Page
<http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/GlossaryApplication>).

I wanted to know if there is a particular way which developers follow to
propose design mockups. I mean any particular tool they use to make designs
or any convention they follow before designing wrt XWiki?
Also, if I propose my own design how will it be compatible with different
skins and themes in XWiki?

Thanks :)

Sarthak Gupta

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 16 May 2017, at 10:41, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Paul,
> >

> > On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:29 AM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Sarthak,
> >>
> >> so what’s your next steps?
> >>
> >> It was recommended to endorse an issue. That could be one way to start.
> >>
> >> But maybe before that, you could create one or two own applications
> beyond
> >> simple tutorials that would empower you with the tricks of page
> rendering?
> >>
> >> ​
> > I am not able to figure out what type of application should I develop.
> > Could you please provide me with some ideas, so that I am able to form a
> > mini proposal for myself and then work on it. I can come up with some
> ideas
> > but I don't know if it will take me in the right direction or not.
>
> Yeah I’m not sure exactly what Paul meant… If you were to start developing
> a small app I’d start with a Glossary app since that’s very simple (for the
> simple version of it) ;) lol…
>
> More seriously you could pick some easy jira issues or start developing
> the glossary app and regularly post on the devs list what you’re going to
> do and how you’re going to do it so that we can tell you if you’re going in
> the right direction or not.
>
> When developing an app, please don’t use AWM since that gives a specific
> L&F and we don’t want that L&F for the apps we develop.
>
> You could also start by doing some design mockups and propose them on the
> list.
>
> Thanks!
> -Vincent
>

> > Thanks :)
> > Sarthak
> > ​
> >
> >> paul

> >> page
> syntax,
> >> one
> and

> >> silly

Re: [Introduction][GSoC]

Paul Libbrecht-2

> On 16 May 2017, at 10:41, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> so what’s your next steps?
>> It was recommended to endorse an issue. That could be one way to start.
>> But maybe before that, you could create one or two own applications beyond
>> simple tutorials that would empower you with the tricks of page rendering?
> I am not able to figure out what type of application should I develop.
> Could you please provide me with some ideas, so that I am able to form a
> mini proposal for myself and then work on it. I can come up with some ideas
> but I don't know if it will take me in the right direction or not.
Mmmh. I would say this is free.
I once read the “FAQ application” as a good tutorial for velocity and wiki-objects. But this is pretty outdated, esecpailly with AWM. Nonetheless, doing programming instead of AWM would be useful. So maybe applying this tutorial is a good idea.
An alternative could be to go beyond AWM with forms, views, and reports which have a tuned appearance.

You could make it a book-management-UI…

Paul

Re: [Introduction][GSoC]

Hi Sarthak,

> On 16 May 2017, at 16:08, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
> So basically I have to propose two designs:
>
>   1. The first design will be of how this app will look like when it will
>   work on different XWiki page. I am talking about the UI which includes:
>

>   - hover feature when the mouse will hover over a glossary item on a page.
>      - different display of items already present in glossary.
>
> 2. The second design will be of the home page of the glossary application
> where different glossary items will be stored(as mentioned on Design Page
> <http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/GlossaryApplication>).
>
> I wanted to know if there is a particular way which developers follow to
> propose design mockups. I mean any particular tool they use to make designs
> or any convention they follow before designing wrt XWiki?

First you don’t have to propose anything. This is just a recommendation from me. The idea is to show as early as possible to the community what you’re doing or planning to do. It can be in words or in UI. Ofc if you show something visual then it’s much easier for others to visualize what you mean and provide feedback.

In general designs are done in HTML/CSS (often inside xwiki pages).

You can check examples on http://design.xwiki.org

However you can use whatever you’re comfortable with.

> Also, if I propose my own design how will it be compatible with different
> skins and themes in XWiki?

You need to use the CSS classes of XWiki for that (bootstrap) ;)

See also http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/FrontendResources