JXTA

Kevin Chiu
Hello,

Has anyone here had experience developing a JXTA or Eclipse RCP application?

I have a few questions:

JXTA and other protocols:

Is there anyway to autoconfigure during the first launch of a
JXTA-enabled program instead of showing the user the configurator?
(start with default settings and put the configurator into a settings
menu?)

Is Rendezvous in JXTA the same as Apple's Bonjour (formerly known as
Rendezvous) ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_%28protocol%29

Eclipse RCP:

What constraints are there to developing Eclipse plugins as opposued
to raw Java applications?

If my application is based on a Model-View-Controller pattern, can I
simply develop the model for my application, and then later develop an
RCP plugin for the View/Controller?

Thanks for any help,
Kevin Chiu

Re: JXTA

Bikash Agarwalla
Hi Kevin -

On 8/1/05, Kevin Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[skipped]
> JXTA and other protocols:
>
> Is there anyway to autoconfigure during the first launch of a
> JXTA-enabled program instead of showing the user the configurator?
> (start with default settings and put the configurator into a settings
> menu?)

I have recently tried JXTA and am not an expert, but from what i have seen,
you can specify in command line the name of the directory that has the
configurations. If the directory has the settings, the user won't be
presented with a menu.  You may want to try
http://www.jxta.org/Tutorials.html and the programmers guide
http://www.jxta.org/docs/JxtaProgGuide_v2.3.pdf,  if you haven't done
so - it's easy as well as quick to get started using the programmers
guide.

> Is Rendezvous in JXTA the same as Apple's Bonjour (formerly known as
> Rendezvous) ?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_%28protocol%29

JXTA Rendezvuos is a mechanism for the peers to propagate messages
within the scope of the peer group. I am not aware of what Apple's
Bonjour provides.

jxta mailing list may also be useful for getting answers related to
jxta quickly.

-Bikash