Knowledge Base flavor

We want since a while to get rid of XE and transform this custom
distribution into an easier to maintain flavor you install on the
default XWiki distribution. We finally allocated time in the roadmap
to concentrate on it during 9.3-9.5 timeframe.

The goal is to create a new flavor which would contain exactly the
same things than XE for now.

= The place

My main question is: where do we put it ?

There is two main possibilities IMO:
1) In platform under some xwiki-platform-flavors top level module
which would contain the current base XWiki flavor (which is the strict
minimum to have something that just work currently) and the new
Knownledge Base flavor
2) In it's own repository
2.a) Synchronized with the platform repository like XE
2.b) With its own versioning

I much prefer 1) which is a lot easier to maintain and release since
this is going to be the main recommended flavor when you install
XWiki. I really don't see the point of 2.a and 2.b does not worth the
pain IMO.

= The name

The current "code name" in the core team is "Knowledge Base" but maybe
some of you have better ideas.

Here are some ideas:
1) Knowledge Base
2) Enterprise

My +1 goes to "Knowledge Base" which is more descriptive. Also I never
really liked "XWiki Enterprise" naming since "Enterprise" suffix very
often means that's the closed/paid version of an Open Source project
which is not the case at all here.

Re: Knowledge Base flavor

Hi Thomas,

> On 3 Apr 2017, at 09:53, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> We want since a while to get rid of XE and transform this custom
> distribution into an easier to maintain flavor you install on the
> default XWiki distribution. We finally allocated time in the roadmap
> to concentrate on it during 9.3-9.5 timeframe.

yeah :)

> The goal is to create a new flavor which would contain exactly the
> same things than XE for now.
>
> = The place
>
> My main question is: where do we put it ?
>
> There is two main possibilities IMO:
> 1) In platform under some xwiki-platform-flavors top level module
> which would contain the current base XWiki flavor (which is the strict
> minimum to have something that just work currently) and the new
> Knownledge Base flavor
> 2) In it's own repository
> 2.a) Synchronized with the platform repository like XE
> 2.b) With its own versioning
>
> I much prefer 1) which is a lot easier to maintain and release since
> this is going to be the main recommended flavor when you install
> XWiki. I really don't see the point of 2.a and 2.b does not worth the
> pain IMO.

I agree, I also prefer 1.

> = The name
>
> The current "code name" in the core team is "Knowledge Base" but maybe
> some of you have better ideas.
>
> Here are some ideas:
> 1) Knowledge Base
> 2) Enterprise
>
> My +1 goes to "Knowledge Base" which is more descriptive. Also I never
> really liked "XWiki Enterprise" naming since "Enterprise" suffix very
> often means that's the closed/paid version of an Open Source project
> which is not the case at all here.

+1 for KB.

Re: Knowledge Base flavor

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>

> We want since a while to get rid of XE and transform this custom
> distribution into an easier to maintain flavor you install on the
> default XWiki distribution. We finally allocated time in the roadmap
> to concentrate on it during 9.3-9.5 timeframe.
>
> The goal is to create a new flavor which would contain exactly the
> same things than XE for now.
>
> = The place
>
> My main question is: where do we put it ?
>
> There is two main possibilities IMO:
> 1) In platform under some xwiki-platform-flavors top level module
> which would contain the current base XWiki flavor (which is the strict
> minimum to have something that just work currently) and the new
> Knownledge Base flavor
> 2) In it's own repository
> 2.a) Synchronized with the platform repository like XE
> 2.b) With its own versioning
>
> I much prefer 1) which is a lot easier to maintain and release since
> this is going to be the main recommended flavor when you install
> XWiki. I really don't see the point of 2.a and 2.b does not worth the
> pain IMO.

+1 for 1) as well.

> = The name
>
> The current "code name" in the core team is "Knowledge Base" but maybe
> some of you have better ideas.
>
> Here are some ideas:
> 1) Knowledge Base
> 2) Enterprise
>
> My +1 goes to "Knowledge Base" which is more descriptive. Also I never
> really liked "XWiki Enterprise" naming since "Enterprise" suffix very
> often means that's the closed/paid version of an Open Source project
> which is not the case at all here.

+1 for KB as well.

Re: Knowledge Base flavor

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>

> We want since a while to get rid of XE and transform this custom
> distribution into an easier to maintain flavor you install on the
> default XWiki distribution. We finally allocated time in the roadmap
> to concentrate on it during 9.3-9.5 timeframe.
>
> The goal is to create a new flavor which would contain exactly the
> same things than XE for now.
>
> = The place
>
> My main question is: where do we put it ?
>
> There is two main possibilities IMO:
> 1) In platform under some xwiki-platform-flavors top level module
> which would contain the current base XWiki flavor (which is the strict
> minimum to have something that just work currently) and the new
> Knownledge Base flavor
> 2) In it's own repository
> 2.a) Synchronized with the platform repository like XE
> 2.b) With its own versioning
>
> I much prefer 1) which is a lot easier to maintain and release since
> this is going to be the main recommended flavor when you install
> XWiki. I really don't see the point of 2.a and 2.b does not worth the
> pain IMO.
>
> = The name
>
> The current "code name" in the core team is "Knowledge Base" but maybe
> some of you have better ideas.
>
> Here are some ideas:
> 1) Knowledge Base
> 2) Enterprise

4) Standard
5) Basic
6) Start

I guess I prefer 4) Standard.

The problem with KB is that currently XE is not a clean KB, it has a lot of
Groupware features. It depends if we want to have the standard flavor
focused only on KB, or more like a demo of features and XWiki Capabilities.
Also "Knowledge Base" for me was always a very cryptic name.

> My +1 goes to "Knowledge Base" which is more descriptive. Also I never
> really liked "XWiki Enterprise" naming since "Enterprise" suffix very
> often means that's the closed/paid version of an Open Source project
> which is not the case at all here.

Re: Knowledge Base flavor

Eduard Moraru
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Thomas Mortagne <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > We want since a while to get rid of XE and transform this custom
> > distribution into an easier to maintain flavor you install on the
> > default XWiki distribution. We finally allocated time in the roadmap
> > to concentrate on it during 9.3-9.5 timeframe.
> >
> > The goal is to create a new flavor which would contain exactly the
> > same things than XE for now.
> >
> > = The place
> >
> > My main question is: where do we put it ?
> >
> > There is two main possibilities IMO:
> > 1) In platform under some xwiki-platform-flavors top level module
> > which would contain the current base XWiki flavor (which is the strict
> > minimum to have something that just work currently) and the new
> > Knownledge Base flavor
> > 2) In it's own repository
> > 2.a) Synchronized with the platform repository like XE
> > 2.b) With its own versioning

+1 for 1). Would also mean that we would eventually get rid of the
xwiki-enterprise repo altogether (and move the tests to platform).

> > I much prefer 1) which is a lot easier to maintain and release since
> > this is going to be the main recommended flavor when you install
> > XWiki. I really don't see the point of 2.a and 2.b does not worth the
> > pain IMO.
> >
> > = The name
> >
> > The current "code name" in the core team is "Knowledge Base" but maybe
> > some of you have better ideas.
> >
> > Here are some ideas:
> > 1) Knowledge Base
> > 2) Enterprise
> >

> 4) Standard
> 5) Basic
> 6) Start
>
> I guess I prefer 4) Standard.
>
> The problem with KB is that currently XE is not a clean KB, it has a lot of
> Groupware features. It depends if we want to have the standard flavor
> focused only on KB, or more like a demo of features and XWiki Capabilities.
> Also "Knowledge Base" for me was always a very cryptic name.

Good point. KB is indeed the "codename", but for an outside user it does
sound too abstract.

Ideally, it should just be "XWiki" (the feature-rich flavor that should be
general-purpose) and "XWiki minima/base/etc." (the base flavor that is
functional, but not of much use on its own in production).

I think my preference would be between 3) and 4). Maybe 4) is more use
friendly, since users might be exposed to the name. Not sure anyone wants
to download and install something called "Default" :)

Thanks,
Eduard

> Thanks,
> Caty
>

> > My +1 goes to "Knowledge Base" which is more descriptive. Also I never
> > really liked "XWiki Enterprise" naming since "Enterprise" suffix very
> > often means that's the closed/paid version of an Open Source project
> > which is not the case at all here.

> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: Knowledge Base flavor

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1 to put it in xwiki-platform.

+1 for the name "Standard". "Basic" and "Start" could conflict with the
"minimal" flavor.

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project