LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

JasoYeom
Hello,

I've done a search for a solution to this problem but only found more
questions.

XWiki 9.1 on Windows 7 & 10.

Scenario 1:

I've downloaded the xwiki 9.1 'demo' and installed it.  Confirm it works
then installed Mysql and pointed xwiki to use that database since it's
suggested the demo database is not reliable for production.  Configured
Ldap with the ldap authentication extension and the ldap gui extension.
Restart xwiki and no ldap error messages.   The only issue with this
scenario is that there is an extra step to install the default xwiki pages
into mysql so do a backup from the original database and import it into the
new database (through the xwiki interface).

Scenario 2:

Followed directions from Xwiki to use Jetty as the web server and mysql for
the database.  Installed and working.  I used the same config files from
scenario 1 (xwiki.cfg and hibernate.cfg.xml) and restarted jetty.
 Received ldap error "LDAP authentication is not enabled.  Please set LDAP
as authentication service in xwiki.cfg".

I used scenario 1 because the install is easy but changed to mysql for
production use.  Confirmed ldap started with no error messages.  I did
scenario 2 to see if I could use the two configuration files to make it
work but it did not work.  So there seems to be more than the message
suggests by modifying xwiki.cfg.

I've followed all directions as
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/InstallationWAR

Re: LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

rez_spb
Hello.

I'm not a developer, but if maybe you could upload your configs from scenario 1 and 2 somewhere so that the devs would have something to look at?
I think that you can't just substitute production intended configs (scenario 2) with a custom config from standalone install (scenario 1) due to standalone being way more tuned to make it faster to try. Haven't tried standalone myself, but that's what I'd think of in the first place.
Did you make a diff between configs to see what parameters will be affected?

Re: LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

JasoYeom
I did compare the config files and they were identical.

Re: LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

JasoYeom

I started from scratch:

1.  Downloaded war file for 8.4.4,  jetty and mysql.
2.  Setup accordingly and all working normally.
3.  Installed the LDAP Authenticator extension
4.  Installed the LDAP Application extension
5.  As per http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LDAP/ added:

xwiki.authentication.authclass=org.xwiki.contrib.ldap.XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl
xwiki.authentication.ldap=1

Still getting LDAP authentication is not enabled.

I copied the wiki.cfg over from the scenario that works over to the new setup but still get LDAP is not enabled.

There are a lot of differences between the demo install and the Enterprise manual install.  Different file structure, files etc.

I can post any configuration file.   I've searched the internet for solutions and found none.  I've followed all directions for the install all with the same results.  Perhaps the best thing is to go back to 8.0 since anything above that version doesn't work with ldap very well.

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 8:22 PM, JasoYeom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I started from scratch:
>
> 1.  Downloaded war file for 8.4.4,  jetty and mysql.
> 2.  Setup accordingly and all working normally.
> 3.  Installed the LDAP Authenticator extension
> 4.  Installed the LDAP Application extension
> 5.  As per http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LDAP/ added:
>
> xwiki.authentication.authclass=org.xwiki.contrib.ldap.XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl
> xwiki.authentication.ldap=1
>
> Still getting LDAP authentication is not enabled.

Did you restarted XWiki when you modified xwiki.cfg file ?

> I copied the wiki.cfg over from the scenario that works over to the new
> setup but still get LDAP is not enabled.

> There are a lot of differences between the demo install and the Enterprise
> manual install.  Different file structure, files etc.

It's the exact same thing actually but you are comparing a WAR with an
all in one applicationserver+database which also contains the exact
same WAR inside /webapps/xwiki/

> I can post any configuration file.   I've searched the internet for
> solutions and found none.  I've followed all directions for the install all
> with the same results.  Perhaps the best thing is to go back to 8.0 since
> anything above that version doesn't work with ldap very well.

Re: LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

JasoYeom
I restart every time I make a change to the config file.

There are some differences in the file structure.  I'm using Jetty for the webserver and a few directories are different.  In the jetty apps folder there is xwiki and a root folder in the demo version.  The root folder is not in the default jetty setup.  There are some others but I don't have the list on me right now.  I'm also confused as to which line to put in for the ldap authentication.  All from the xwiki support site:

xwiki.authentication.authclass=com.xpn.xwiki.user.impl.xwiki.AppServerTrustedAuthServiceImpl

xwiki.authentication.authclass=org.xwiki.contrib.ldap.XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl

xwiki.authentication.authclass=com.xpn.xwiki.user.impl.LDAP.XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 8:42 PM, JasoYeom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I restart every time I make a change to the config file.
>
> There are some differences in the file structure.  I'm using Jetty for the
> webserver and a few directories are different.  In the jetty apps folder
> there is xwiki and a root folder in the demo version.  The root folder is
> not in the default jetty setup.  There are some others but I don't have the
> list on me right now.  I'm also confused as to which line to put in for the
> ldap authentication.  All from the xwiki support site:
>
> xwiki.authentication.authclass=com.xpn.xwiki.user.impl.xwiki.AppServerTrustedAuthServiceImpl

I don't understand how you link that to LDAP.

> xwiki.authentication.authclass=org.xwiki.contrib.ldap.XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl

You installed http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LDAP/Authenticator/
so you should follow the documentation of this extension.

> xwiki.authentication.authclass=com.xpn.xwiki.user.impl.LDAP.XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl

This is the old LDAP authenticator and that's what the first line on
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Authentication#HLDAPAuthentication
says.

Re: LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

JasoYeom
If I use the xwiki 9.2 snapshot Enterprise,  do you recommend not using it in production?  Or should I repoint the database to mysql instead?

Re: LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

You should definitely never use a SNAPSHOT in production.

The current Long Term Support branch is 8.4.x (current version being 8.4.4).

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 6:11 PM, JasoYeom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I use the xwiki 9.2 snapshot Enterprise,  do you recommend not using it in
> production?  Or should I repoint the database to mysql instead?

Re: LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

JasoYeom
If I use 8.4.4 LTS Windows install download do you recommend not using that in production?

Re: LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

You have all information and recommendations for each package on
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Download/DownloadVersion/?projectVersion=8.4.4.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 6:40 PM, JasoYeom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I use 8.4.4 LTS Windows install download do you recommend not using that
> in production?

Re: LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

JasoYeom
1. I installed the demo version via the Windows installation setup.  I installed the ldap ui extension and added the appropriate line to authenticate to ldap in xwiki.cfg.  Restarted ldap works fine.

2. Downloaded mysql, jetty and the 8.4.4 war file.  Installed and xwiki works fine.  Added the same ldap ui extension and configure xwiki the same as above.  Restarted jetty and found that the distribution wizard reappeared.  I told it to never come up again.  I went to configure ldap and received the error that the LDAP service was not installed.  Checked the installed extensions and none were found!  I installed the Ldap ui again and it complained that ldap was not configured in xwiki.cfg.  I confirmed it is setup the exact same way and even compared the files which are exactly the same.  Restarted jetty and once again checked to see which extensions were installed:  none.

Both installs are in the ProgramFiles folder and both have the same permissions.  I even moved the manual install to my desktop and tested there as well.  The installed extensions keep disappearing for some reason.

Re: LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

> On 9 Mar 2017, at 20:02, JasoYeom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 1. I installed the demo version via the Windows installation setup.  I
> installed the ldap ui extension and added the appropriate line to
> authenticate to ldap in xwiki.cfg.  Restarted ldap works fine.
>
> 2. Downloaded mysql, jetty and the 8.4.4 war file.  Installed and xwiki
> works fine.  Added the same ldap ui extension and configure xwiki the same
> as above.  Restarted jetty and found that the distribution wizard
> reappeared.

This probably means that you haven’t configured the permanent directory of xwiki (see xwiki.properties) and thus XWiki ended up using a temporary directory which got removed/cleaned between your 2 runs.

Whenever the DW is displayed it means it’s needed, i.e. that that status file located in the permanent directory wasn’t found or it contained information that the DW needs to be executed.

>  I told it to never come up again.  I went to configure ldap and
> received the error that the LDAP service was not installed.  Checked the
> installed extensions and none were found!  I installed the Ldap ui again and
> it complained that ldap was not configured in xwiki.cfg.  I confirmed it is
> setup the exact same way and even compared the files which are exactly the
> same.  Restarted jetty and once again checked to see which extensions were
> installed:  none.
>
> Both installs are in the ProgramFiles folder and both have the same
> permissions.  I even moved the manual install to my desktop and tested there
> as well.  The installed extensions keep disappearing for some reason.

Re: LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

JasoYeom
I set the permanent directory in xwiki.properties:

environment.permanentDirectory=C:\Users\user\Downloads\jetty\ and restarted.

Installed extensions are gone again.  I didn't find any directions on for starting jetty so I use start.jar

xwiki.cfg:

#-# The authentication management class.
xwiki.authentication.authclass=org.xwiki.contrib.ldap.XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl

When LDAP Application extension was installed it still complained about xwiki.cfg.

Re: LDAP authentication is not enabled. Check xwiki.cfg

> On 9 Mar 2017, at 21:08, JasoYeom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I set the permanent directory in xwiki.properties:
>
> environment.permanentDirectory=C:\Users\user\Downloads\jetty\ and restarted.
>
> Installed extensions are gone again.

That’s normal since you changed the permanent dir! :)

You need to copy the content of it from the previous location to the new one.