'Link that opens in a new page' not working

'Link that opens in a new page' not working

BrianJones
Hello again,

I'm trying to create a link on a page that leads the user to the 'User Guide' provided by XWiki.org.

Following the syntax guide found at http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax#HLinks for a 'Link that opens in a new page', for the XWiki Syntax 1.0, I have created a link like this:

[User Guide>_http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/UserGuide]

However, when I click on this link:

1) it does not open a new window or tab
2) it transfers me to the 'homepage' (Main.WebHome) of my XWiki site, instead of the actual link destination

Can anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  Such a silly question, I know, but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Re: 'Link that opens in a new page' not working

On Nov 7, 2008, at 6:51 PM, BrianJones wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I'm trying to create a link on a page that leads the user to the 'User
> Guide' provided by XWiki.org.
>
> Following the syntax guide found at
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax#HLinks
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax#HLinks
> for a
> 'Link that opens in a new page', for the XWiki Syntax 1.0, I have
> created a
> link like this:
>
> [User Guide>_http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/UserGuide]

But you're not following what is written :)

It says >_blank and you've used _something else.

Check the XWiki 1.0 link specification below the table for the full
spec.

BrianJones wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I'm trying to create a link on a page that leads the user to the 'User
> Guide' provided by XWiki.org.
>
> Following the syntax guide found at
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax#HLinks
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax#HLinks  for a
> 'Link that opens in a new page', for the XWiki Syntax 1.0, I have created a
> link like this:
>
> [User Guide>_http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/UserGuide]
>
> However, when I click on this link:
>
> 1) it does not open a new window or tab
> 2) it transfers me to the 'homepage' (Main.WebHome) of my XWiki site,
> instead of the actual link destination
>
> Can anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  Such a silly question, I know, but
> any help would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers

The syntax page is wrong (strange, it seemed to be OK last time I read it).

Use this:

[User Guide>http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/UserGuide>_blank]

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

On Nov 7, 2008, at 7:01 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> BrianJones wrote:
>> Hello again,
>>
>> I'm trying to create a link on a page that leads the user to the
>> 'User
>> Guide' provided by XWiki.org.
>>
>> Following the syntax guide found at
>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax#HLinks
>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax#HLinks
>> for a
>> 'Link that opens in a new page', for the XWiki Syntax 1.0, I have
>> created a
>> link like this:
>>
>> [User Guide>_http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/UserGuide]
>>
>> However, when I click on this link:
>>
>> 1) it does not open a new window or tab
>> 2) it transfers me to the 'homepage' (Main.WebHome) of my XWiki site,
>> instead of the actual link destination
>>
>> Can anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  Such a silly question, I
>> know, but
>> any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> The syntax page is wrong (strange, it seemed to be OK last time I
> read it).

Why do you say it's wrong?

> Use this:
>
> [User Guide>http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/
> UserGuide>_blank]
>
> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: 'Link that opens in a new page' not working

BrianJones
Sergiu Dumitriu-2 wrote
The syntax page is wrong (strange, it seemed to be OK last time I read it).

Use this:

[User Guide>http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/UserGuide>_blank]
Thanks Sergiu,

I wouldn't say the syntax page is wrong just slightly misleading.  As Vincent said, the Link specification is a bit more helpful than the table.

But for future reference, in the table for a 'Link that opens in a new page', you should use an example like:

[Click this link>www.to_go_here.com>_blank]

This would just be a bit more clear to the readers.

Thanks guys!

On Nov 7, 2008, at 7:06 PM, BrianJones wrote:

> Sergiu Dumitriu-2 wrote:
>>
>> The syntax page is wrong (strange, it seemed to be OK last time I
>> read
>> it).
>>
>> Use this:
>>
>> [User Guide>http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/
>> UserGuide>_blank]
>>

> Thanks Sergiu,
>
> I wouldn't say the syntax page is wrong just slightly misleading.  As
> Vincent said, the Link specification is a bit more helpful than the
> table.
>
> But for future reference, in the table for a 'Link that opens in a new
> page', you should use an example like:
>
> [Click this link>www.to_go_here.com>_blank]
>
> This would just be a bit more clear to the readers.

Actually there was a misunderstanding. I was sure that you didn't have
to specify a label since I code the link parser that made the label
optional. But I've just realized that the rendering code isn't using
this parser and does its own parsing and it requires a label to be
specified.

Sorry about that.

Re: 'Link that opens in a new page' not working

meacoleman
Hello!  I copied and pasted the following link in my wiki page:
  [User Guide>http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/UserGuide>_blank]

When I click on the "User Guide" link, it does not open a new window or tab.  I am running XWiki 1.4.1.  What am I doing wrong?

** Mary Ellen

Sergiu Dumitriu-2 wrote