Location for extensions ideas

Hi xwikiers,

I'm never sure where to put ideas of extensions I have so I often
forget them or details I had tough about or gathered back then.

I don't think http://design.xwiki.org is the right place until you
really start designing the extension. Also it's too generic for this
need and not a very good entry point for searching something IMO, more
something to link to from somewhere else.

I would prefer something really dedicated to this "that would be a
nice thingy but not sure about the details yet" state. Would be a good
source for hackathons and GSOC or for contributors who are searching
for something interesting to work on.

I was thinking about the following alternatives:
* a new dedicated project on https://jira.xwiki.org
* reuse https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/XCONTRIB after some cleanup
(close everything left in it basically) but not super clean (it's just
that it's a good name)
* some new application on http://www.xwiki.org

WDYT ?

Right now my preference goes to a clean new jira project (just need to
think about a good project id) where you put description and close it
when the extension work really start on a dedicated location. Less
work and should do the job well.

Re: Location for extensions ideas

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
We could install the Ideas app somewhere on design.xwiki.org and make it
exclusive for listing Extensions ideas.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 10:35 AM Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi xwikiers,
>
> I'm never sure where to put ideas of extensions I have so I often
> forget them or details I had tough about or gathered back then.
>
> I don't think http://design.xwiki.org is the right place until you
> really start designing the extension. Also it's too generic for this
> need and not a very good entry point for searching something IMO, more
> something to link to from somewhere else.
>
> I would prefer something really dedicated to this "that would be a
> nice thingy but not sure about the details yet" state. Would be a good
> source for hackathons and GSOC or for contributors who are searching
> for something interesting to work on.
>
> I was thinking about the following alternatives:
> * a new dedicated project on https://jira.xwiki.org
> * reuse https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/XCONTRIB after some cleanup
> (close everything left in it basically) but not super clean (it's just
> that it's a good name)
> * some new application on http://www.xwiki.org
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Right now my preference goes to a clean new jira project (just need to
> think about a good project id) where you put description and close it
> when the extension work really start on a dedicated location. Less
> work and should do the job well.

Re: Location for extensions ideas

Eduard Moraru
We also have the "Idea" issue type in Jira so I don't think we need a
dedicated project just for that. It would be best to find the existing
project that your idea could extend, otherwise the "XWIKI" (platform)
project is still a good fit, IMO, since we should then better determine if
the feature should be a core/platform feature or if it should best be
suited in its own separate extension.

It's easy to build a filter for all the ideas from all the projects we have
on Jira.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:31 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> We could install the Ideas app somewhere on design.xwiki.org and make it
> exclusive for listing Extensions ideas.
> Thanks,
> Caty
>

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 10:35 AM Thomas Mortagne <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi xwikiers,
> >
> > I'm never sure where to put ideas of extensions I have so I often
> > forget them or details I had tough about or gathered back then.
> >
> > I don't think http://design.xwiki.org is the right place until you
> > really start designing the extension. Also it's too generic for this
> > need and not a very good entry point for searching something IMO, more
> > something to link to from somewhere else.
> >
> > I would prefer something really dedicated to this "that would be a
> > nice thingy but not sure about the details yet" state. Would be a good
> > source for hackathons and GSOC or for contributors who are searching
> > for something interesting to work on.
> >
> > I was thinking about the following alternatives:
> > * a new dedicated project on https://jira.xwiki.org
> > * reuse https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/XCONTRIB after some cleanup
> > (close everything left in it basically) but not super clean (it's just
> > that it's a good name)
> > * some new application on http://www.xwiki.org
> >
> > WDYT ?
> >
> > Right now my preference goes to a clean new jira project (just need to
> > think about a good project id) where you put description and close it
> > when the extension work really start on a dedicated location. Less
> > work and should do the job well.
> >
> > --
> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: Location for extensions ideas

Hi Thomas and devs,

> On 31 Jan 2019, at 09:35, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi xwikiers,
>
> I'm never sure where to put ideas of extensions I have so I often
> forget them or details I had tough about or gathered back then.
>
> I don't think http://design.xwiki.org is the right place until you
> really start designing the extension. Also it's too generic for this
> need and not a very good entry point for searching something IMO, more
> something to link to from somewhere else.
>
> I would prefer something really dedicated to this "that would be a
> nice thingy but not sure about the details yet" state. Would be a good
> source for hackathons and GSOC or for contributors who are searching
> for something interesting to work on.
>
> I was thinking about the following alternatives:
> * a new dedicated project on https://jira.xwiki.org
> * reuse https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/XCONTRIB after some cleanup
> (close everything left in it basically) but not super clean (it's just
> that it's a good name)
> * some new application on http://www.xwiki.org
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Right now my preference goes to a clean new jira project (just need to
> think about a good project id) where you put description and close it
> when the extension work really start on a dedicated location. Less
> work and should do the job well.

For me a single design page on design.xwiki.org called “Wanted Extensions” would be enough. We had such a page for “Wanted Macros” and then we strike them out when they’re implemented/available (see https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewMacros).

Installing the Idea app is a nice idea :) Unfortunately this app only supports a single idea theme ATM (AFAIK). If we could use it in a namespace (under a given page) then we could install it on design.xwiki.org and make that “Wanted Extensions” page use it. That would be ideal for me. It shouldn’t be hard to refactor the Idea app to support that I guess if it doesn’t already support it.

I don’t like too much using JIRA for this (I prefer to keep JIRA for stuff to implement, i.e. when it goes out of the idea/design phase) and keep design.xwiki.org as our first phase and only create issues in jira when it’s tasked for implementation.

Re: Location for extensions ideas

> On 16 Feb 2019, at 15:21, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Thomas and devs,
>
>> On 31 Jan 2019, at 09:35, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi xwikiers,
>>
>> I'm never sure where to put ideas of extensions I have so I often
>> forget them or details I had tough about or gathered back then.
>>
>> I don't think http://design.xwiki.org is the right place until you
>> really start designing the extension. Also it's too generic for this
>> need and not a very good entry point for searching something IMO, more
>> something to link to from somewhere else.
>>
>> I would prefer something really dedicated to this "that would be a
>> nice thingy but not sure about the details yet" state. Would be a good
>> source for hackathons and GSOC or for contributors who are searching
>> for something interesting to work on.
>>
>> I was thinking about the following alternatives:
>> * a new dedicated project on https://jira.xwiki.org
>> * reuse https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/XCONTRIB after some cleanup
>> (close everything left in it basically) but not super clean (it's just
>> that it's a good name)
>> * some new application on http://www.xwiki.org
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>
>> Right now my preference goes to a clean new jira project (just need to
>> think about a good project id) where you put description and close it
>> when the extension work really start on a dedicated location. Less
>> work and should do the job well.
>
> For me a single design page on design.xwiki.org called “Wanted Extensions” would be enough. We had such a page for “Wanted Macros” and then we strike them out when they’re implemented/available (see https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewMacros).
>
> Installing the Idea app is a nice idea :) Unfortunately this app only supports a single idea theme ATM (AFAIK). If we could use it in a namespace (under a given page) then we could install it on design.xwiki.org and make that “Wanted Extensions” page use it. That would be ideal for me. It shouldn’t be hard to refactor the Idea app to support that I guess if it doesn’t already support it.
>
> I don’t like too much using JIRA for this (I prefer to keep JIRA for stuff to implement, i.e. when it goes out of the idea/design phase) and keep design.xwiki.org as our first phase and only create issues in jira when it’s tasked for implementation.

After more thoughts I’m ok with a new jira project for this since:
1) It allows moving jira issues around jira projects. Someone creates a jira issue in XWiki for something that shouldn’t be part of XS and we can move it. Example: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-16419
2) When (and if) the time comes for implementation, the issue can be moved to the right project
3) Since it would be a new jira project, it wouldn’t mess up the other jira projects.

To answer Edy’s point, if the idea is about XS then it should continue to go in XWIKI jira project. This is for new extension ideas.

WDYT?

If ok, I can create it tomorrow.

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: Location for extensions ideas

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Ideally we should go over the IDEAS issues already reported and see which
one would need to go in this new project.

IMO there is little benefit we can get from this CEIDEA project (I would
have liked it to be EXOIDEA as naming). It might end up to be the "place
where ideas go to die".
The only use case indeed are the hackatons and GSOC projects. But I like
that is separate from the other issues and, being in JIRA, it will be easy
to reference and move them.

I think it should be documented somewhere that this place exists (depending
if we want to encourage it or just use it as a way to clean the XWIKI
project). Maybe contrib homepage?

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 7:36 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I don’t like too much using JIRA for this (I prefer to keep JIRA for
> stuff to implement, i.e. when it goes out of the idea/design phase) and
> keep design.xwiki.org as our first phase and only create issues in jira
> when it’s tasked for implementation.
>
> After more thoughts I’m ok with a new jira project for this since:
> 1) It allows moving jira issues around jira projects. Someone creates a
> jira issue in XWiki for something that shouldn’t be part of XS and we can
> move it. Example: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-16419
> 2) When (and if) the time comes for implementation, the issue can be moved
> to the right project
> 3) Since it would be a new jira project, it wouldn’t mess up the other
> jira projects.
>
> To answer Edy’s point, if the idea is about XS then it should continue to
> go in XWIKI jira project. This is for new extension ideas.

Hi Caty,

> On 23 May 2019, at 12:38, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ideally we should go over the IDEAS issues already reported and see which
> one would need to go in this new project.

Yep.

> IMO there is little benefit we can get from this CEIDEA project

> (I would
> have liked it to be EXOIDEA as naming).

Sure, Done!

> It might end up to be the "place
> where ideas go to die”.

Yes, that’s the idea ;) (pun intended).

It’s not to die, it’s to record ideas and give the ability for anyone to comment on them. Sure, the majority of them won’t be implemented but that’s the same as saying that its useful to record ideas and I don’t agree with this statement. It can create discussions (in the issue) and provide ideas for GSOCers or others to take up some ideas. It’s also a way to record and give the paternity of the idea to someone. It’s also answers whatever one in the community wants: when they have an idea, where do they report it? If you tell them, just keep it in your head, that’s not very useful nor positive.

> The only use case indeed are the hackatons and GSOC projects. But I like
> that is separate from the other issues and, being in JIRA, it will be easy
> to reference and move them.

Yes that’s a good idea. We could create either a component in this project for GSOC ideas or a jira label.

> I think it should be documented somewhere that this place exists (depending
> if we want to encourage it or just use it as a way to clean the XWIKI
> project). Maybe contrib homepage?

I don’t think it’s very important since we would be the one moving them but yes it’s better to document it somewhere. 2 places comes to mind:
* Contrib home page
* Contributing page: https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Contributing

> Caty
>
> On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 7:36 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>> On 16 Feb 2019, at 15:21, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Thomas and devs,

>>> For me a single design page on design.xwiki.org called “Wanted
>> Extensions” would be enough. We had such a page for “Wanted Macros” and
>> then we strike them out when they’re implemented/available (see
>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewMacros).
>>>
>>> Installing the Idea app is a nice idea :) Unfortunately this app only
>> supports a single idea theme ATM (AFAIK). If we could use it in a namespace
>> (under a given page) then we could install it on design.xwiki.org and
>> make that “Wanted Extensions” page use it. That would be ideal for me. It
>> shouldn’t be hard to refactor the Idea app to support that I guess if it
>> doesn’t already support it.
>>>
>>> I don’t like too much using JIRA for this (I prefer to keep JIRA for
>> stuff to implement, i.e. when it goes out of the idea/design phase) and
>> keep design.xwiki.org as our first phase and only create issues in jira
>> when it’s tasked for implementation.
>>
>> After more thoughts I’m ok with a new jira project for this since:
>> 1) It allows moving jira issues around jira projects. Someone creates a
>> jira issue in XWiki for something that shouldn’t be part of XS and we can
>> move it. Example: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-16419
>> 2) When (and if) the time comes for implementation, the issue can be moved
>> to the right project
>> 3) Since it would be a new jira project, it wouldn’t mess up the other
>> jira projects.
>>
>> To answer Edy’s point, if the idea is about XS then it should continue to
>> go in XWIKI jira project. This is for new extension ideas.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> If ok, I can create it tomorrow.

>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Re: Location for extensions ideas

> On 23 May 2019, at 12:54, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Caty,
>
>> On 23 May 2019, at 12:38, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ideally we should go over the IDEAS issues already reported and see which
>> one would need to go in this new project.
>
> Yep.
>
>> IMO there is little benefit we can get from this CEIDEA project
>
>> (I would
>> have liked it to be EXOIDEA as naming).
>
> Sure, Done!
>
>> It might end up to be the "place
>> where ideas go to die”.
>
> Yes, that’s the idea ;) (pun intended).
>
> It’s not to die, it’s to record ideas and give the ability for anyone to comment on them. Sure, the majority of them won’t be implemented but that’s the same as saying that its useful to record ideas

^^^not useful

-Vincent