Looking for Mentors and Feedback about the summer of code proposals

Looking for Mentors and Feedback about the summer of code proposals

I'm looking for feedback about the Summer of Code proposals as well as
for mentors willing to help out follow the students work. The more we
have mentors the more projects we will have.

I've made a Summary of the proposals here
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/SoC2006/Proposal+Summary

There are around 20 good students with 15 different subjects that would
be acceptable for XWiki from my point of view. We would discuss with the
5 rejected students based on duplicate subject and put them on other
subjects (what is really missing ?).
I've made 3 big groups of priority for the acceptable solutions. The
first groups has 7 projects. The second 6/7. The third one 3/4

For the contributors willing to see the details of the proposals and
also "vote" for them you can go to
http://code.google.com/soc/mentor_home.html  I can then accept you as
mentors for XWiki.

If you feel interested in mentoring one project do answer me here or
directly before monday. I have to give an answer of how many projects we
can mentor and this number will impact our real number of proposal accepted.

Re: Looking for Mentors and Feedback about the summer of code proposals

Robin Fernandes
Hi Ludovic,

> The more we have mentors the more projects we will have.
Could you remind me what is required to be a mentor, and what will be
expected from mentors?

> what is really missing ?
Are there any plans for a way to "package" applications and transfer
them between XWikis? AFAIK at the moment it is necessary to manually
recreate all of an application's classes and manually cut & paste
document content in each wiki. If people are creating cool apps, we
need an easier way to distribute them.

Regards,
Robin

Robin Fernandes a écrit :
> Hi Ludovic,
>
>> The more we have mentors the more projects we will have.
> Could you remind me what is required to be a mentor, and what will be
> expected from mentors?

Mentors are expected to:

- work on the specification with the student
- be available to the students for questions (this can vary form a
student to another)
- check the result at different points in the projet
- evaluate the student

It requires some knowledge of the objectives of the project and some
technical knowledge.
 From the XWiki point of view, if some mentors can't do everything, but
can do part of it, like being a relay to me and Jeremi it would already
be quite a lot of help.

>> what is really missing ?
> Are there any plans for a way to "package" applications and transfer
> them between XWikis? AFAIK at the moment it is necessary to manually
> recreate all of an application's classes and manually cut & paste
> document content in each wiki. If people are creating cool apps, we
> need an easier way to distribute them.

We already have a lot of code from Jeremi on this. It's mainly packaging
now and starting to use it to find bugs..
Jeremi's code requires version 1.0B1 which I'm late on.. I'm working on
it this week.

Ludovic

> Regards,
> Robin
>

> On 13/05/06, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for feedback about the Summer of Code proposals as well as
>> for mentors willing to help out follow the students work. The more we
>> have mentors the more projects we will have.
>>
>> I've made a Summary of the proposals here
>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/SoC2006/Proposal+Summary
>>
>> There are around 20 good students with 15 different subjects that would
>> be acceptable for XWiki from my point of view. We would discuss with the
>> 5 rejected students based on duplicate subject and put them on other
>> subjects (what is really missing ?).
>> I've made 3 big groups of priority for the acceptable solutions. The
>> first groups has 7 projects. The second 6/7. The third one 3/4
>>
>> For the contributors willing to see the details of the proposals and
>> also "vote" for them you can go to
>> http://code.google.com/soc/mentor_home.html  I can then accept you as
>> mentors for XWiki.
>>
>> If you feel interested in mentoring one project do answer me here or
>> directly before monday. I have to give an answer of how many projects we
>> can mentor and this number will impact our real number of proposal
>> accepted.
>>
>> Ludovic
>>

>> --
>> Ludovic Dubost
>> XPertNet: http://www.xpertnet.fr/
>> Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
>> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
>> Skype: ldubost AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic
>>

>> --
>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the

Re: Looking for Mentors and Feedback about the summer of code proposals

jeremi joslin
On 5/14/06, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Robin Fernandes a écrit :
> > Hi Ludovic,
> >
> >> The more we have mentors the more projects we will have.
> > Could you remind me what is required to be a mentor, and what will be
> > expected from mentors?
> >
> Mentors are expected to:
>
> - work on the specification with the student
> - be available to the students for questions (this can vary form a
> student to another)
> - check the result at different points in the projet
> - evaluate the student
>
> It requires some knowledge of the objectives of the project and some
> technical knowledge.
>  From the XWiki point of view, if some mentors can't do everything, but
> can do part of it, like being a relay to me and Jeremi it would already
> be quite a lot of help.
>
> >> what is really missing ?
> > Are there any plans for a way to "package" applications and transfer
> > them between XWikis? AFAIK at the moment it is necessary to manually
> > recreate all of an application's classes and manually cut & paste
> > document content in each wiki. If people are creating cool apps, we
> > need an easier way to distribute them.
> >
> We already have a lot of code from Jeremi on this. It's mainly packaging
> now and starting to use it to find bugs..
> Jeremi's code requires version 1.0B1 which I'm late on.. I'm working on
> it this week.

Yes, and i can't help ludo on this for the moment, i'm lost in the
middle of nowhere in china, travelling since 3 weeks. But i come back
soon (the 17) to Dalian, So i will be able to help you Ludovic.

Jeremi
--
Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724