Map Application - GSoC 19

123

Map Application - GSoC 19

Fawad Ali
Hi everyone,
Hope all of you are doing great.

About Me

I am Fawad Ali, selected as a student for Google Summer of Code. Currently
enrolled in the 6th semester at University of Engineering and Technology,
Taxila. I am a resident of Pakistan currently living in the city of
Rawalpindi.

It is a great honor to have been selected and have a chance to work with
XWiki. :)

*Profiles*
GitHub - https://github.com/9inpachi
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/fawadaliq/
Riot - @ginpachi:matrix.org

I will be presenting my project "Map Application" to all of you. Following
are the relevant details.

Map Application

*Mentors: *Stéphane Laurière, Ecaterina Moraru

*Technologies:* JavaScript, Velocity, Java, Leaflet, other if required

Overview

This project is about the development of interactive maps in XWiki.
Creation of an application within XWiki that will allow users to generate
interactive maps which support collaboration and are easy to create so that
locations can be shared, and areas can be associated with structured data.

This application will open several possibilities that can be utilized
within XWiki and broaden the overall scope by allowing map rich wikis where
locations and areas can be presented in a way that will increase the
understandability of data.

It will also allow for the sharing of custom map related data which would
be very helpful since users and admins will be able to present locations in
an information rich map environment which will be interactive.

Features

> *Markers and popups* - Place markers anywhere on the map and associate
popups with them.
> *Path between two points* - A path will be generated by the application
linking two points of interest.
> *Location search* - Search any location on the map.
> *Filtered list maps* - Allow the user to search for a specific kind of
place (e.g. restaurants) and get a list of locations to choose from.
Through the content available and binded to a location, the user will be
able to learn some aspects of the location.
> *Custom shapes* - Custom shapes can be used to highlight a specific area
for representation. The content associated with these shapes can give
useful information about the area.
> *Indoor maps* - Such maps will be able to describe the internal structure
or fair plan of a building or structure. They can be used to guide users in
a big building and locate point of interests.
> *Maps on mobile* - Special design arrangements will be made for easily
viewing of maps and availing all the features of the application on mobile
devices.
> *Custom map backgrounds* - Custom backgrounds will make the environment
of interactive maps much suitable for a specific purpose

If you have any features in mind that will make the Map Application better
please feel free to reply to this mail.
This is all for the summary of the project, if you want to have a more
deeper insight, please check out the full proposal.

*Project Proposal: *
https://drive.google.com/open?id=14qXC7Oy2bPUASfVtSTIsNG1sPcfm5Ikr

Thanks for reading through the mail. I will be looking forward to your
guidance through this summer and your contributions to the project.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to reply to this
mail.

Au revoir. :)

Best,
Fawad Ali

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Hi ginpachi,

Thank you for introducing yourself and the project.
Welcome to XWiki and enjoy this summer :)

Best,
Caty

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 6:46 PM Fawad Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > *Maps on mobile* - Special design arrangements will be made for easily
> viewing of maps and availing all the features of the application on mobile
> devices.
> > *Custom map backgrounds* - Custom backgrounds will make the environment
> of interactive maps much suitable for a specific purpose
>
> If you have any features in mind that will make the Map Application better
> please feel free to reply to this mail.
> This is all for the summary of the project, if you want to have a more
> deeper insight, please check out the full proposal.
>
> *Project Proposal: *
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=14qXC7Oy2bPUASfVtSTIsNG1sPcfm5Ikr
>

> Thanks for reading through the mail. I will be looking forward to your
> guidance through this summer and your contributions to the project.
> If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to reply to this

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Eduard Moraru
Hi, Ali, and welcome to XWiki!

Hope you'll have a great summer and enjoy discovering our product and being
part of our community!

Looking forward to see your project come to life.

Best,
Eduard

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 4:00 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > viewing of maps and availing all the features of the application on
> mobile
> > devices.
> > > *Custom map backgrounds* - Custom backgrounds will make the environment
> > of interactive maps much suitable for a specific purpose
> >
> > If you have any features in mind that will make the Map Application
> better
> > please feel free to reply to this mail.
> > This is all for the summary of the project, if you want to have a more
> > deeper insight, please check out the full proposal.
> >
> > *Project Proposal: *
> > https://drive.google.com/open?id=14qXC7Oy2bPUASfVtSTIsNG1sPcfm5Ikr
> >

> > Thanks for reading through the mail. I will be looking forward to your
> > guidance through this summer and your contributions to the project.
> > If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to reply to

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Fawad Ali
Hi developers,

I have started working on the map application with some of the work done.
So I wanted to get an update across to have a review of how I am doing so
far.
The source files for the project are available at:
https://github.com/9inpachi/application-map
I have been and in future intend to document the daily progress of the
development. The progress is available at PROGRESS.md
<https://github.com/9inpachi/application-map/blob/master/PROGRESS.md> within
the repository,

The design proposal for the project is available at
https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/MapApplication.

And I would like to request a repository on xwiki-contrib.

Best,
Fawad

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 6:50 PM Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> easily
> > > viewing of maps and availing all the features of the application on
> > mobile
> > > devices.
> environment
> > > of interactive maps much suitable for a specific purpose
> > >
> > > If you have any features in mind that will make the Map Application
> > better
> > > please feel free to reply to this mail.
> > > This is all for the summary of the project, if you want to have a more
> > > deeper insight, please check out the full proposal.
> > >
> > > *Project Proposal: *
> > > https://drive.google.com/open?id=14qXC7Oy2bPUASfVtSTIsNG1sPcfm5Ikr
> > >

> > > Thanks for reading through the mail. I will be looking forward to your
> > > guidance through this summer and your contributions to the project.
> > > If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to reply to

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 11:50 AM Fawad Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi developers,
>
> I have started working on the map application with some of the work done.
> So I wanted to get an update across to have a review of how I am doing so
> far.
> The source files for the project are available at:
> https://github.com/9inpachi/application-map
> I have been and in future intend to document the daily progress of the
> development. The progress is available at PROGRESS.md
> <https://github.com/9inpachi/application-map/blob/master/PROGRESS.md> within
> the repository,
>
> The design proposal for the project is available at
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/MapApplication.
>
> And I would like to request a repository on xwiki-contrib.

Since you already have a repository the best would be to move it to
xwiki-contrib instead of creating a new one. I think you need to make
one of the xwiki-contrib organization owner the owner of your current
repository to transfert it.

> Best,
> Fawad
>

> On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 6:50 PM Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Ali, and welcome to XWiki!
> >
> > Hope you'll have a great summer and enjoy discovering our product and being
> > part of our community!
> >
> > Looking forward to see your project come to life.
> >
> > Best,
> > Eduard
> >
> > On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 4:00 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi ginpachi,
> > >
> > > Thank you for introducing yourself and the project.
> > > Welcome to XWiki and enjoy this summer :)
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Caty

> > > Currently
> > Technology,

> > with

> > > Following

> > generate
> > > that
> > > data.

> > > where

> > would
> > locations
> > > in

> > associate
> > application
> > of
> > be
> > > area
> > > structure
> > users
> > > in
> > easily
> > > mobile
> > environment

> > > better

> > > this

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Eduard Moraru
Hi, Fawad,

Please make double sure to read and follow the Student Guidelines,
specially the section about the work process:

https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/Guidelines#HSuggestedwayofworkingforacceptedGSoCstudents

It covers stuff like where to place your code (Contrib), how to document
your process (project page), how to communicate, etc.

Otherwise, just from my quick "helicopter look", it looks like you're
getting the hang of how to structure your project's code and how XWiki
extensions work.

Keep it up,
Eduard

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 12:50 PM Fawad Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi developers,
>
> I have started working on the map application with some of the work done.
> So I wanted to get an update across to have a review of how I am doing so
> far.
> The source files for the project are available at:
> https://github.com/9inpachi/application-map
> I have been and in future intend to document the daily progress of the
> development. The progress is available at PROGRESS.md
> <https://github.com/9inpachi/application-map/blob/master/PROGRESS.md>
> within
> the repository,
>
> The design proposal for the project is available at
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/MapApplication.
>
> And I would like to request a repository on xwiki-contrib.
>
> Best,
> Fawad
>

> On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 6:50 PM Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Ali, and welcome to XWiki!
> >
> > Hope you'll have a great summer and enjoy discovering our product and
> being
> > part of our community!
> >
> > Looking forward to see your project come to life.
> >
> > Best,
> > Eduard
> >
> > On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 4:00 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi ginpachi,
> > >
> > > Thank you for introducing yourself and the project.
> > > Welcome to XWiki and enjoy this summer :)
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Caty

> > > Currently
> > Technology,

> > with

> > > Following

> required

> > generate
> so
> > > that
> > > data.

> > > where

> > would
> > locations
> > > in

> > associate
> > application
> > of
> > be
> > > area
> > > structure
> > users
> > > in
> > easily
> > > mobile
> > environment

> > > better
> more

> your
> > > this

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Fawad Ali
Eduard,

Thanks for the heads up. I think I was focusing too much on the official
documentation and forgot to take a look at the well documented pages for
GSoC students.

The repository has been moved to xwiki-contrib (thanks to Thomas for that).
The updated link is:  https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-map

Thanks,
Fawad

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 3:44 PM Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > <https://github.com/9inpachi/application-map/blob/master/PROGRESS.md>
> > within
> > the repository,
> >
> > The design proposal for the project is available at
> > https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/MapApplication.
> >
> > And I would like to request a repository on xwiki-contrib.
> >
> > Best,
> > Fawad
> >

> > On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 6:50 PM Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, Ali, and welcome to XWiki!
> > >
> > > Hope you'll have a great summer and enjoy discovering our product and
> > being
> > > part of our community!
> > >
> > > Looking forward to see your project come to life.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Eduard
> > >
> > > On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 4:00 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

There were some concerns discussed about the naming of the app (since it's
too generic).
Alternatives suggested:
- 'application-map-interactive'
- 'application-interactivemap'
- 'application-map-editor'
- 'application-map-creator'

We should choose one form above and do the renames for GitHub and Jira asp.

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 2:28 PM Fawad Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi developers,
> > >
> > > I have started working on the map application with some of the work
> done.
> > > So I wanted to get an update across to have a review of how I am doing
> so
> > > far.
> > > The source files for the project are available at:
> > > https://github.com/9inpachi/application-map
> > > I have been and in future intend to document the daily progress of the
> > > development. The progress is available at PROGRESS.md
> > > <https://github.com/9inpachi/application-map/blob/master/PROGRESS.md>
> > > within
> > > the repository,
> > >
> > > The design proposal for the project is available at
> > > https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/MapApplication.
> > >
> > > And I would like to request a repository on xwiki-contrib.

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

It’s hard to choose without knowing how you position this app vs the existing map macro for example. What’s the proposal?

> On 20 May 2019, at 16:38, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> There were some concerns discussed about the naming of the app (since it's
> too generic).
> Alternatives suggested:
> - 'application-map-interactive'
> - 'application-interactivemap'
> - 'application-map-editor'
> - 'application-map-creator'
>
> We should choose one form above and do the renames for GitHub and Jira asp.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 2:28 PM Fawad Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Eduard,
>>
>> Thanks for the heads up. I think I was focusing too much on the official
>> documentation and forgot to take a look at the well documented pages for
>> GSoC students.
>>
>> The repository has been moved to xwiki-contrib (thanks to Thomas for that).
>> The updated link is:  https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-map
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Fawad
>>

>> On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 3:44 PM Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Fawad,
>>>
>>> Please make double sure to read and follow the Student Guidelines,
>>> specially the section about the work process:
>>>

>> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/Guidelines#HSuggestedwayofworkingforacceptedGSoCstudents
>>>
>>> It covers stuff like where to place your code (Contrib), how to document
>>> your process (project page), how to communicate, etc.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, just from my quick "helicopter look", it looks like you're
>>> getting the hang of how to structure your project's code and how XWiki
>>> extensions work.
>>>
>>> Keep it up,
>>> Eduard

>> done.
>> so

>> of

>> work

>> XWiki.
>> create
>>> structured

>>> utilized
>>> wikis
>>> the

>> which

>>> kind
>>> from.
>>> will
>>> specific
>>> give
>> guide
>> on

>> Application

>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=14qXC7Oy2bPUASfVtSTIsNG1sPcfm5Ikr

>> project.
>> reply

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
So I've updated to: "Interactive Maps Application"
See:
* https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/INTMAP/
* https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-interactive-maps

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 6:32 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It’s hard to choose without knowing how you position this app vs the
> existing map macro for example. What’s the proposal?

> > On 20 May 2019, at 16:38, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > There were some concerns discussed about the naming of the app (since
> it's
> > too generic).
> > Alternatives suggested:
> > - 'application-map-interactive'
> > - 'application-interactivemap'
> > - 'application-map-editor'
> > - 'application-map-creator'
> >
> > We should choose one form above and do the renames for GitHub and Jira
> asp.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >
> > On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 2:28 PM Fawad Ali <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Eduard,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the heads up. I think I was focusing too much on the official
> >> documentation and forgot to take a look at the well documented pages for
> >> GSoC students.
> >>
> >> The repository has been moved to xwiki-contrib (thanks to Thomas for
> that).
> >> The updated link is:  https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-map
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Fawad

> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/Guidelines#HSuggestedwayofworkingforacceptedGSoCstudents

> document

> >> done.
> >> so

> >> of

> >> work

> >> XWiki.
> >> create

> >> which

> >> guide
> >> on

> >> Application

> >> https://drive.google.com/open?id=14qXC7Oy2bPUASfVtSTIsNG1sPcfm5Ikr

> >> project.
> >> reply

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Fawad Ali
Ecaterina,
Thanks for that.

Vincent, regarding the macro the Interactive Maps Application. It will only
be used to reference the maps that are already created with some tweaking
options to go along.

I will be focusing on the main features for now and will create the macro
when we are somewhat in the middle of the project so I know which options
the macro needs to have.

Best,
Fawad

On Mon, May 20, 2019, 8:35 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]
wrote:

> So I've updated to: "Interactive Maps Application"
> See:
> * https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/INTMAP/
> * https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-interactive-maps
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 6:32 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It’s hard to choose without knowing how you position this app vs the
> > existing map macro for example. What’s the proposal?

> > > On 20 May 2019, at 16:38, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > There were some concerns discussed about the naming of the app (since
> > it's
> > > too generic).
> > > Alternatives suggested:
> > > - 'application-map-interactive'
> > > - 'application-interactivemap'
> > > - 'application-map-editor'
> > > - 'application-map-creator'
> > >
> > > We should choose one form above and do the renames for GitHub and Jira
> > asp.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Caty

> official
> for

> > that).
> https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-map

> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/Guidelines#HSuggestedwayofworkingforacceptedGSoCstudents

> > document

> XWiki

> doing
> the
> https://github.com/9inpachi/application-map/blob/master/PROGRESS.md>

> and

> [hidden email]

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Hi Fawad,

> On 20 May 2019, at 18:12, Fawad Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ecaterina,
> Thanks for that.
>
> Vincent, regarding the macro the Interactive Maps Application. It will only
> be used to reference the maps that are already created with some tweaking
> options to go along.
>
> I will be focusing on the main features for now and will create the macro
> when we are somewhat in the middle of the project so I know which options
> the macro needs to have.

Ok thanks. I still think we should plan this as part of the architecture/design as otherwise you may make some assumption that won’t go in this right direction. Even if not implemented right now, at least you’d know where you’re going. If it’s too early then please think about it and try to answer it later but ASAP.

> Best,
> Fawad
>
> On Mon, May 20, 2019, 8:35 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]
> wrote:
>
>> So I've updated to: "Interactive Maps Application"
>> See:
>> * https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/INTMAP/
>> * https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-interactive-maps
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>
>> On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 6:32 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It’s hard to choose without knowing how you position this app vs the
>>> existing map macro for example. What’s the proposal?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>>> it's

>>> asp.

>> official
>> for

>>> that).
>> https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-map

>> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/Guidelines#HSuggestedwayofworkingforacceptedGSoCstudents

>>> document

>> XWiki

>> doing
>> the
>> https://github.com/9inpachi/application-map/blob/master/PROGRESS.md>

>> and

>> [hidden email]

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Fawad Ali
Hi developers,
Hope you all are well.

Interactive maps application's SNAPSHOT 1.0.2 is now available on GitHub. :)
Link:  https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-interactive-maps

What has been done so far.
- Markers and popups
- Custom image support for markers
- "xwiki/2.1" syntax support for popups
- Simple forms for adding maps
- Dedicated "Map Editor" for creating maps
- Current location and location search controls
- Generating routes between two points

Maps can be created simply from Map.WebHome page or with the dedicated Map
Editor for live preview.

ToDo.
- Implement WYSIWYG for "Popup Information" field (I have had some errors
in doing it)
- Compliance of code with XWiki standards (I should have done it from the
start. Sorry about that.)

Ecaterina and Stephane, I would like to ask you to evaluate how the
application is so far. Your reviews will be highly appreciated. :)

Best,
Fawad

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 9:18 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Fawad,
>
> > On 20 May 2019, at 18:12, Fawad Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Ecaterina,
> > Thanks for that.
> >
> > Vincent, regarding the macro the Interactive Maps Application. It will
> only
> > be used to reference the maps that are already created with some tweaking
> > options to go along.
> >
> > I will be focusing on the main features for now and will create the macro
> > when we are somewhat in the middle of the project so I know which options
> > the macro needs to have.
>
> Ok thanks. I still think we should plan this as part of the
> architecture/design as otherwise you may make some assumption that won’t go
> in this right direction. Even if not implemented right now, at least you’d
> know where you’re going. If it’s too early then please think about it and
> try to answer it later but ASAP.

> > Best,
> > Fawad
> >
> > On Mon, May 20, 2019, 8:35 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
> >
> >> So I've updated to: "Interactive Maps Application"
> >> See:
> >> * https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/INTMAP/
> >> * https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-interactive-maps
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Caty

> [hidden email]

> >> official
> >> for

> >> https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-map

> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/Guidelines#HSuggestedwayofworkingforacceptedGSoCstudents

> you're
> >> XWiki

> >> doing
> >> the
> >> https://github.com/9inpachi/application-map/blob/master/PROGRESS.md>

> [hidden email]

> >> and

> >> [hidden email]

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Some notes:

- Please create issues in JIRA and commit over the issues,
https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices#HRule:AlwaysputaJIRAissuereferenceincommitmessages

- Why did you chose the 8.4-6 parent?

- pom version should not be 1.0.2-SNAPSHOT , since you didn't had any
previous release

- I don't have the errors you've pasted when doing mvn xar:format. For me
it adds only a single space. What OS are you using? Maybe try to clean your
environment? Not really sure what to suggest, especially since enygma
didn't reproduce the problem either.

- It's a bit strange the Map/Maps URL path.
- Currently it works nicely. Would have been easier to provide some
screenshots in order to make people want to test the app :)

- in terms of UX, we will need to combine:
-- all the maps in a single livetable,
-- under the same 'Map' space (careful - please test the Map Macro and
don't have conflicts on the space name)
-- the create should be done from the 'Add' button, using templates / sheets

I haven't had a chance to look at the code yet.
But just wanted to give you a response / feedback: it looks good for now.
You did a great job :)

We need to discuss with Stephane and see exactly what use cases he wants to
cover.

Have a great week-end,
Caty

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 1:37 PM Fawad Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> tweaking
> > > options to go along.
> > >
> > > I will be focusing on the main features for now and will create the
> macro
> > > when we are somewhat in the middle of the project so I know which
> options
> > > the macro needs to have.
> >
> > Ok thanks. I still think we should plan this as part of the
> > architecture/design as otherwise you may make some assumption that won’t
> go
> > in this right direction. Even if not implemented right now, at least
> you’d
> > know where you’re going. If it’s too early then please think about it and
> > try to answer it later but ASAP.

> > > Best,
> > > Fawad
> > >
> > > On Mon, May 20, 2019, 8:35 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Fawad Ali
Should I create jira issues for any updates I do during development? I made
my commits like INTMAP-R<number> for each revision I did. For simple
commits like changing the Progress.md file or a line or two in pom.xml, do
I use "[Misc]" for identifying the commit?

8.4-6 is the default version on
https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/DevGuide/Tutorials/CreatingExtensions/#HBuildingaXARwithMaven
so
I did not change that. It is changed to 11.1 after the fix with encoding
issues. Thanks for that.

I was using the snapshots version to mark the completion of every major
function. Mainly a simple map and a path map for now so the version 1.0.2.
I would like to know if snapshots are supposed to be released.

For the URL path Map/Maps do you have a better path in mind for the created
maps? I think its right when all the other paths are hidden for the user.
I will be sure to provide screenshots for the next time. :)

For combining all the maps in a single livetable, I have a perspective that
for this application, every map is of a "kind" like a "path map" or "simple
map" or later on "filtered list map". So I separated the maps based on that
perspective. WDYT? Should I treat all the maps same?
Thankfully, the Map Macro uses the Macros.MapMacro space so we are safe for
that.

For the creation options, should I create a single template for the "Add"
button and separate the map editors with tabs? If I create a template for
each kind of map, the templates will become bulky I think.

I also wanted to talk about filtered list maps so that I can move on with
the development. Stephane sent me a link in the talks we had prior to this.
https://napoleon-sainte-helene.plan-interactif.com/en/#!/category/886826/@-15.967188036753065,-5.710573196411134,13

What kind of options do you have in mind for the filterable list? A general
flow would really help me in direction.

Thanks. :)

Best,
Fawad

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 10:02 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > application is so far. Your reviews will be highly appreciated. :)
> >
> > Best,
> > Fawad
> >

> > On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 9:18 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Fawad,

> will
> > > only
> > tweaking

> > macro
> > options
> > >
> > > Ok thanks. I still think we should plan this as part of the
> > > architecture/design as otherwise you may make some assumption that
> won’t
> > go
> > > in this right direction. Even if not implemented right now, at least
> > you’d
> > > know where you’re going. If it’s too early then please think about it

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 9:19 PM Fawad Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should I create jira issues for any updates I do during development? I made
> my commits like INTMAP-R<number> for each revision I did. For simple
> commits like changing the Progress.md file or a line or two in pom.xml, do
> I use "[Misc]" for identifying the commit?

All the code commits need to be associated with an issue. The reason is
also practical: when you look at the blame, you will easily identify the
issue, and the issue will list screenshots, multiple commits, related
issues, etc.

Keep [misc] just for edge cases or exceptions, but the Progress.md is not
code, so you don't need an issue for that. Still, it's a bit strange to
have the progress in gitHub, since it's more project management, than code.
When you will release the application, that page will able be part of the
release. Alternatively, you could keep the progress in a design page, but
it's also up to you.

> 8.4-6 is the default version on
>
> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/DevGuide/Tutorials/CreatingExtensions/#HBuildingaXARwithMaven
> so
> I did not change that. It is changed to 11.1 after the fix with encoding
> issues. Thanks for that.

On the community side, we support just 3 version (see
https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Support#HSupportedVersions). So
in practice, new applications should support at least the LTS. Our current
LTS is 10.11.8 (so 10.11.x). The 8.x version in .pom was just an example.
You should also try to see if you have the same encoding issues with
10.11.x versions, if not, use that as a parent.

> I was using the snapshots version to mark the completion of every major
> function. Mainly a simple map and a path map for now so the version 1.0.2.
> I would like to know if snapshots are supposed to be released.

"every major functions" will be tracked in issues, not in the project
version. We don't release snapshots versions. Snapshots builds are used
when continuous integration is enabled. More at
https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/VersioningAndReleasePractices#HReleaseCyclesandReleaseStrategy
. You project releases should start at 1.0, etc.

> For the URL path Map/Maps do you have a better path in mind for the created
> maps? I think its right when all the other paths are hidden for the user.

the URL should be as short as possible for the end-user and semantic. If
you have 'Map' in the breadcrumb, the user will go in each parent to see
functionality.

> I will be sure to provide screenshots for the next time. :)

Easier to review and to get traction. Thanks :)

> For combining all the maps in a single livetable, I have a perspective that
> for this application, every map is of a "kind" like a "path map" or "simple
> map" or later on "filtered list map". So I separated the maps based on that
> perspective. WDYT? Should I treat all the maps same?

We need Stephane 's opinion since he was the one that proposed the project,
so he knows better the use cases.

> Thankfully, the Map Macro uses the Macros.MapMacro space so we are safe for
> that.
>
> For the creation options, should I create a single template for the "Add"
> button and separate the map editors with tabs? If I create a template for
> each kind of map, the templates will become bulky I think.

You could select the type of map you want from a checkbox in the create
sheet. I would unify as much as possible the way to create maps.

> I also wanted to talk about filtered list maps so that I can move on with
> the development. Stephane sent me a link in the talks we had prior to this.
>
> https://napoleon-sainte-helene.plan-interactif.com/en/#!/category/886826/@-15.967188036753065,-5.710573196411134,13
>
> What kind of options do you have in mind for the filterable list? A general
> flow would really help me in direction.

Stephane?

> [...]

> > > - Markers and popups
> > > - Custom image support for markers
> > > - "xwiki/2.1" syntax support for popups
> > > - Simple forms for adding maps
> > > - Dedicated "Map Editor" for creating maps
> > > - Current location and location search controls
> > > - Generating routes between two points
> > >
> > > Maps can be created simply from Map.WebHome page or with the dedicated
> > Map
> > > Editor for live preview.
> > >
> > > ToDo.
> > > - Implement WYSIWYG for "Popup Information" field (I have had some
> errors
> > > in doing it)
> > > - Compliance of code with XWiki standards (I should have done it from
> the
> > > start. Sorry about that.)
> > >
> > > Ecaterina and Stephane, I would like to ask you to evaluate how the
> > > application is so far. Your reviews will be highly appreciated. :)

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Fawad Ali
Hi,
Hope all are doing well.

Extremely thanks for the information Ecaterina. It really helps. :)

I am trying to make filterable list maps but I am more or less stuck.

This is what I have done so far:
[image: image.png]

So what I have in mind for this is that each marker will have a category
and a custom popup. Then we can have custom marker image for each of the
category or for each of the marker separately. I wanted to have forms
directly inside the popup but that does not seem to be possible giving how
popups in leaflet work.

This is a little afar from what I observe in
https://napoleon-sainte-helene.plan-interactif.com and I am unable to think
of a better way to manage everything.

Stephane or Ecaterina, if you have a better approach and flow for this then
please let me know.
And Stephane, your help would be highly appreciable.

Thanks. Best,
Fawad

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 6:03 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > your
> > > environment? Not really sure what to suggest, especially since enygma
> > > didn't reproduce the problem either.
> > >
> > > - It's a bit strange the Map/Maps URL path.
> > > - Currently it works nicely. Would have been easier to provide some
> > > screenshots in order to make people want to test the app :)
> > >
> > > - in terms of UX, we will need to combine:
> > > -- all the maps in a single livetable,
> > > -- under the same 'Map' space (careful - please test the Map Macro and
> > > don't have conflicts on the space name)
> > > -- the create should be done from the 'Add' button, using templates /
> > > sheets
> > >
> > > I haven't had a chance to look at the code yet.
> > > But just wanted to give you a response / feedback: it looks good for
> now.
> > > You did a great job :)
> > >
> > > We need to discuss with Stephane and see exactly what use cases he

image.png (376K) Download Attachment

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Stéphane Laurière-6
Hi Fawad, Caty, all,

Fawad, I think that what you did is a great start.

I would propose at this stage that we refine the use cases of what we aim at, and that we describe further the architecture and implementation plans accordingly.

I brought the following changes to the design page toward these goals:

- Description of three use cases
- Renaming of the "Implementation" section into "Architecture" (it contains also some implementation aspects indeed, but I feel like we're more at the architecture design there, let me know what you think)
- Addition of one subsection about the data model, another one about the needed services (APIs)
- Creation of a section related to data samples, which are likely to be needed while we progress further
- Renaming of the "Expected results" section into "Mockups"

   https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/MapApplication

Please let me know what you think about the use cases and the other changes that I brought the design page proposal? I'll be able to provide feedback and suggestions about the next steps both at the functional and technical levels as soon as I get your view on that.

Cheers

Stéphane

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Some notes:

* The maps are not working anymore with the recent commits. There is an
error in console:
{Uncaught Error: Script error for "leaflet", needed by: leafletSearch
http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#scripterror
    at F (require.min.js?r=1:7)
    at HTMLScriptElement.onScriptError (require.min.js?r=1:30)
}

* I really dislike the Maps space :) inside the Map, maybe because my
expectation is to have something like Maps > Map, but still in terms of
structure we can do some improvements. But this is minor.

* I've read again the GSOC project description. The main purpose of the
application is to allow multiple people to create POIs and other shapes on
the Maps. There is a note that the POIs will have additional information
about the location.
Some questions:
** can a POI be displayed in multiple Maps? For example: if we someone
creates a 'Centre Pompidou' POI in a page, where adds information about the
place, images, etc. Should we be able to display this POI in multiple maps
(one that contains museums, while others contain modern architecture)?
** in any case, the POI storage could be done in objects or in individual
pages. We need to think about performance too. Pages will lots of objects
can have performance issues, so storing as pages (that will contain objects
for POI type) might be better?

* Maps will also be pages, containing configuration (custom backgrounds),
etc.

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 11:22 AM Fawad Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > for
> > > that.
> > >
> > > For the creation options, should I create a single template for the
> "Add"
> > > button and separate the map editors with tabs? If I create a template
> for
> > > each kind of map, the templates will become bulky I think.
> > >

> > You could select the type of map you want from a checkbox in the create
> > sheet. I would unify as much as possible the way to create maps.
> >

> > > I also wanted to talk about filtered list maps so that I can move on
> with
> > > the development. Stephane sent me a link in the talks we had prior to
> > this.
> > >

> https://napoleon-sainte-helene.plan-interactif.com/en/#!/category/886826/@-15.967188036753065,-5.710573196411134,13
> > >
> > > What kind of options do you have in mind for the filterable list? A

Re: Map Application - GSoC 19

Stéphane Laurière-6
Hi Caty, Fawad, all,

[...]

> * I've read again the GSOC project description. The main purpose of the
> application is to allow multiple people to create POIs and other shapes on
> the Maps. There is a note that the POIs will have additional information
> about the location.
> Some questions:
> ** can a POI be displayed in multiple Maps? For example: if we someone
> creates a 'Centre Pompidou' POI in a page, where adds information about the
> place, images, etc. Should we be able to display this POI in multiple maps
> (one that contains museums, while others contain modern architecture)?

I would say it's important that a point of interest or any other entity can be present in multiple maps indeed. A map is defined in particular by a query imho – I would suggest a Solr query as argued on the design page,  what do you think? – which returns a set of elements. Then the user can refine this set at will using full-text search, facets or spatial search.

> ** in any case, the POI storage could be done in objects or in individual
> pages. We need to think about performance too. Pages will lots of objects
> can have performance issues, so storing as pages (that will contain objects
> for POI type) might be better?

Ideally that'd be great to support both options I would say.

In terms of priority I would go for one object per page to start with. Typically, in the encyclopedia use case defined in the design page, having one object attached to each target page would be very convenient imho: it would ease the maintenance of information, both textual and geographical, related to each page.

Supporting multiple objects per page could be quite useful as well. Imagine for instance that we want to represent the "Battle of the Somme" on a map. The content itself may refer to multiple locations (as on the Wikipedia article below and its static image map representation), so it could be handy to let the user input all these locations (points, areas, lines...) as objects attached to the "Battle of the Somme" page itself without the need to create individual pages for each location. There is no reason to hit a very large number of objects in this scenario though. What do you think?

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme

> * Maps will also be pages, containing configuration (custom backgrounds),
> etc.

Indeed, a map page will consist of a map configuration imho. We need to define what is needed to configure a map, beside the query. The visual configuration is important as well and can be possibly complex, and other options could arise...

Stéphane

--
Stéphane Laurière
XWiki – https://xwiki.com