Migrate to Mysql

Daniel Johansson
I have been using the standalone package (2.04) for some time and now our wiki is starting to grow. So I wanted to migrate over to a Mysql database. I have setup the default wiki in Mysql, that works. Now I want to move over all the content. I thought I could just export a xar file and then import it into my Mysql instance. But first off the xar file is only like 6megs big and second when I try to import it the tool says there are no documents in it.

Also, are attachment exported? We have a few rather large files as attachments so 6 megs seems really small.

Thank you
Daniel

Re: Migrate to Mysql

Arnaud bourree-2
Standalone XWiki used Hsqldb.
Find file .script, rename it .sql and run it in MySql.

Arnaud.

2010/1/9 Aplamon <[hidden email]>:

> I have been using the standalone package (2.04) for some time and now our
> wiki is starting to grow. So I wanted to migrate over to a Mysql database. I
> have setup the default wiki in Mysql, that works. Now I want to move over
> all the content. I thought I could just export a xar file and then import it
> into my Mysql instance. But first off the xar file is only like 6megs big
> and second when I try to import it the tool says there are no documents in
> it.
>
> Also, are attachment exported? We have a few rather large files as
> attachments so 6 megs seems really small.
>
> Thank you
> Daniel

Re: Migrate to Mysql

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 02:19, Aplamon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been using the standalone package (2.04) for some time and now our
> wiki is starting to grow. So I wanted to migrate over to a Mysql database. I
> have setup the default wiki in Mysql, that works. Now I want to move over
> all the content. I thought I could just export a xar file and then import it
> into my Mysql instance. But first off the xar file is only like 6megs big
> and second when I try to import it the tool says there are no documents in
> it.

Could you check if the generated xar is valid ? It's supposed to be a
zip file containing each page as XML files, you can simply rename it
to <file>.zip to open it.

The is some issues to export/import big wikis in the default
distribution, we are working on it. In the meantime you can use
http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Snippets/LargeWikiExportSnippet
(first script) and
http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Snippets/LargeXARImportScriptSnippet

> Also, are attachment exported? We have a few rather large files as
> attachments so 6 megs seems really small.

Yes attachments are exported.

> Thank you
> Daniel

RE: [xwiki-users] Migrate to Mysql

Daniel Johansson
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Migrate to Mysql

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 17:57, Aplamon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried opening the file as zip and yes, it is broken. I also tried importing the database script file but it just seems to die after a w while, I must be doing it wrong:
> mysql -u xwiki -p xwiki < xwiki_db.sql
> Enter password: *****
> ERROR 2006 (HY000) at line 1: MySQL server has gone away
>
> The export tool dies at 6mb and in the log the following is recorded:
> 2010-01-11 08:47:51,935 [http://dbaierxpa:8080/xwiki/bin/export/XWiki/Export?editor=globaladmin&section=Export] INFO  .AbstractXWikiMigrationManager  - No storage migration required since current version is [15429]
> 2010-01-11 08:48:08,326 [http://dbaierxpa:8080/xwiki/bin/export/XWiki/Export?editor=globaladmin&section=Export] WARN  web.XWikiAction                 - Uncaught exception: Error number 0 in 11: Uncaught exception
> Wrapped Exception: Java heap space
> com.xpn.xwiki.XWikiException: Error number 0 in 11: Uncaught exception
> Wrapped Exception: Java heap space
>            at com.xpn.xwiki.web.XWikiAction.execute(XWikiAction.java:238)
>            at com.xpn.xwiki.web.XWikiAction.execute(XWikiAction.java:115)
> Wrapped Exception:
>            at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Unknown Source)
>            at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.expandCapacity(Unknown Source)
>            at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(Unknown Source)
>            at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(Unknown Source)
>
> I run a jetty service, with setting
> wrapper.java.maxmemory=256
> so it seems weird that it would run out of memory?

That's the kind of issues I was referring to about standard export:
it's taking a lot (really a looot) more memory than it should.
Basically it loads the whole wiki in memory before sending it.

Did you tried http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Snippets/LargeWikiExportSnippet
(export page by page in a folder of the server) ?

> Also, I know little about servlet containers, are there any benefits of migrate to tomcat over jetty?
>
> daniel

Re: Migrate to Mysql

Arnaud bourree-2
ERROR 2006 (HY000) at line 1: MySQL server has gone away =>
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html
Check if max_allowed_packet=32M in my.cnf =>
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/InstallationMySQL

Arnaud