Migration from 1.4 to 2.3

Lee Chalupa

I have a wiki farm I want to upgrade to the curreent release.

I've searched the forum. I've read the applicable release notes.

I'm not able to find any info on whether migration is supported from a version 1.X to 2.X.

Can I move straight from 1.4 to 2.3 or do I need to apply some intermediate steps?

The one area that confuses me with Xwiki is the relationships between the wiki manager
and the enterprise wiki.  I'm missing the big picture.  What dependencies exist between the enterprise
version and the wiki manager?

Re: Migration from 1.4 to 2.3

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 17:04, Lee Chalupa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a wiki farm I want to upgrade to the curreent release.
>
> I've searched the forum. I've read the applicable release notes.
>
> I'm not able to find any info on whether migration is supported from a
> version 1.X to 2.X.
>
> Can I move straight from 1.4 to 2.3 or do I need to apply some intermediate
> steps?

Yes, in fact the automatic migrator act step by step so that does not
change anything except that doing only one migration takes a lot less
time ;)

As usual the issue you can have is mostly if you modified standard pages.

There is also probably some important changes that could impact
applications you would have wrote yourself:
- the most important one is the new xwiki/2.0 syntax which is the
default syntax now so when you create a page programmatically you have
to take care of setting the proper syntax, note that you can change
configuration to have xwiki/1.0 syntax by default until you did all
needed migrations
- you can now set a velocity variable to null, see
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/ReleaseNotesXWikiEnterprise22
- there is also some changes in document references for them to
support "technical" characters like '.' and ':' but if you don't use
any of them that should not change anything for you

All basic wiki pages should behave the same as in 1.4.

And other things you should take a look at the release notes of each
first stable version of each branch (1.5, 1.6, ...) since 1.4 and
specifically to the section "Backward Compatibility and Migration
Notes".

> The one area that confuses me with Xwiki is the relationships between the
> wiki manager
> and the enterprise wiki.  I'm missing the big picture.  What dependencies
> exist between the enterprise
> version and the wiki manager?

XWiki Enterprise Manager is just a pre-configured XWiki Enterprise in
multiwiki (virtual) mode and with some UI to create/delete wikis (it's
really only UI, the real multiwiki support is in the platform). Since
2.0 the version is synchronized so XEM 2.x is exactly XE 2.x with some
pages added as well as two wiki management UI related plugins.

Re: Migration from 1.4 to 2.3

Lee Chalupa
Thanks for your reply Thomas.

I pulled the switch.

Everything with the update went fine except for one item.  I wonder if you might know what is causing text to appear on the screen at the top when I log and and request a page.  Here is what displays:

$xwiki.jsfx.use('js/scriptaculous/effects.js', true) $xwiki.jsfx.use('js/xwiki/widgets/modalPopup.js', true) $xwiki.ssfx.use('js/xwiki/widgets/modalPopup.css', true) $xwiki.jsfx.use('js/xwiki/widgets/jumpToPage.js', true) $xwiki.ssfx.use('js/xwiki/widgets/jumpToPage.css', true) $xwiki.jsfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/confirmationBox.js', true) $xwiki.ssfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/confirmationBox.css', true) $xwiki.jsfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/confirmedAjaxRequest.js', true) $xwiki.jsfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/notification.js', true) $xwiki.ssfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/notification.css', true)

I have a much better understanding of what I needed to do. I'm going to write up a procedure and forward it. Maybe I can save somebody some time.

Thanks again.

Lee

Re: Migration from 1.4 to 2.3

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
On 05/26/2010 04:37 AM, Lee Chalupa wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Thomas.
>
> I pulled the switch.
>
> Everything with the update went fine except for one item.  I wonder if you
> might know what is causing text to appear on the screen at the top when I
> log and and request a page.  Here is what displays:
>
> $xwiki.jsfx.use('js/scriptaculous/effects.js', true)
> $xwiki.jsfx.use('js/xwiki/widgets/modalPopup.js', true)
> $xwiki.ssfx.use('js/xwiki/widgets/modalPopup.css', true)
> $xwiki.jsfx.use('js/xwiki/widgets/jumpToPage.js', true)
> $xwiki.ssfx.use('js/xwiki/widgets/jumpToPage.css', true)
> $xwiki.jsfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/confirmationBox.js', true)
> $xwiki.ssfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/confirmationBox.css', true)
> $xwiki.jsfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/confirmedAjaxRequest.js', true)
> $xwiki.jsfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/notification.js', true)
> $xwiki.ssfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/notification.css', true)

You need to enable some new plugins in xwiki.cfg. You should compare the
xwiki.cfg that comes with a standalone XE with the one you have and
merge the two files.

> I have a much better understanding of what I needed to do. I'm going to
> write up a procedure and forward it. Maybe I can save somebody some time.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: Migration from 1.4 to 2.3

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 04:37, Lee Chalupa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Thomas.
>
> I pulled the switch.
>
> Everything with the update went fine except for one item.  I wonder if you
> might know what is causing text to appear on the screen at the top when I
> log and and request a page.  Here is what displays:
>
> $xwiki.jsfx.use('js/scriptaculous/effects.js', true)
> $xwiki.jsfx.use('js/xwiki/widgets/modalPopup.js', true)
> $xwiki.ssfx.use('js/xwiki/widgets/modalPopup.css', true)
> $xwiki.jsfx.use('js/xwiki/widgets/jumpToPage.js', true)
> $xwiki.ssfx.use('js/xwiki/widgets/jumpToPage.css', true)
> $xwiki.jsfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/confirmationBox.js', true)
> $xwiki.ssfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/confirmationBox.css', true)
> $xwiki.jsfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/confirmedAjaxRequest.js', true)
> $xwiki.jsfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/notification.js', true)
> $xwiki.ssfx.use('uicomponents/widgets/notification.css', true)

See Sergiu answer. You should always merge configuration files when you migrate.

> I have a much better understanding of what I needed to do. I'm going to
> write up a procedure and forward it. Maybe I can save somebody some time.

That would be great !

> Thanks again.
>
> Lee

Re: Migration from 1.4 to 2.3

Lee Chalupa

I got the plugins straigthened out.

The XE Manager was screwed up.  I purged it and downloaded a fresh copy.
I have it setup and ready to go.

Now I'd like to know if it's possible to get the manager instance to recognize my 5
wiki instances that already exist and have content in them.

Thanks

Lee

Re: Migration from 1.4 to 2.3

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 23:47, Lee Chalupa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got the plugins straigthened out.
>
> The XE Manager was screwed up.  I purged it and downloaded a fresh copy.
> I have it setup and ready to go.
>
> Now I'd like to know if it's possible to get the manager instance to
> recognize my 5
> wiki instances that already exist and have content in them.

Each wiki is supposed to have a descriptor page in the main wiki all
with the name "XWiki.XWikiServer<Wikiname>" (yes there is a uppercase
in the first letter of the wiki identifier and lowercase for the
others).

Two way to create them:
- the easiest is probably to export/import from your old wiki theses pages
- in the default xem there is a descriptor page provided for the main
wiki ("XWiki.XWikiServerXwiki"), copy this page for all wikis you need
and put the proper informations (especially the aliases)
- go to each page corresponding to a descriptor location, put
#includeForm("XWiki.XWikiServerClassSheet") as xwiki/1.0 content and
add an object of type "XWiki.XWikiServerClass". Then fill all needed
informations (especially the aliases)

See http://manager.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/EditWikiDescriptor
and http://manager.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/EditWikiAliases
for more details on what to put in theses descriptors.