Multiple xwiki

Igor Regis
Hi,

I new on this list and I'm not a native English speaker (so sorry by any misspelling).
I would like to know if its possible or if some one have setup a multiple xwiki contexts in only one data base model. I didn't find anything about it on FAQ.
So the idea is to have more than one xwiki running in one o more servers accessing the same data base; but considering that each xwiki "instance" will have its own data, menu layouts and so.
I have found this FAQ http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/FAQ/HowToSetupVirtualWikis
but it treats about multiple xwiki instances accessing different data bases.

Please, any help will be very welcome. If someone knows about any docs that I can read...

Best regards,
Igor Regis

RE: Multiple xwiki

Pavel-3
I believe you can set up multiple xwiki instances and configure hibernate to
use the same database.
Not sure what concurrency issues you can face though. And things like skin
are definitely filesystem-based, so you'll need to synchronize those
manually.

Pavel

On Apr 10, 2007, at 1:10 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I new on this list and I'm not a native English speaker (so sorry
> by any misspelling).
> I would like to know if its possible or if some one have setup a
> multiple xwiki contexts in only one data base model. I didn't find
> anything about it on FAQ.
> So the idea is to have more than one xwiki running in one o more
> servers accessing the same data base; but considering that each
> xwiki "instance" will have its own data, menu layouts and so.
> I have found this FAQ http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/FAQ/
> HowToSetupVirtualWikis
> but it treats about multiple xwiki instances accessing different
> data bases.
Same database means same wiki content and thus same wiki...

If you want several projects to use the same wiki, the easiest is to
have one space per project for example.

Maybe you could let us know what's your functional need?

> Please, any help will be very welcome. If someone knows about any
> docs that I can read...
>
> Best regards,
> Igor Regis

Re: Multiple xwiki

Jackson Wang
I have similar requirement, it seems representation layer consume more resource than  database server . Build cluster on this layer maybe greatly improve performance .

2007/4/10, Vincent Massol < [hidden email]>:

On Apr 10, 2007, at 1:10 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I new on this list and I'm not a native English speaker (so sorry
> by any misspelling).
> I would like to know if its possible or if some one have setup a
> multiple xwiki contexts in only one data base model. I didn't find
> anything about it on FAQ.
> So the idea is to have more than one xwiki running in one o more
> servers accessing the same data base; but considering that each
> xwiki "instance" will have its own data, menu layouts and so.
> I have found this FAQ http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/FAQ/
> HowToSetupVirtualWikis
> but it treats about multiple xwiki instances accessing different
> data bases.

Same database means same wiki content and thus same wiki...

If you want several projects to use the same wiki, the easiest is to
have one space per project for example.

Maybe you could let us know what's your functional need?

> Please, any help will be very welcome. If someone knows about any
> docs that I can read...
>
> Best regards,
> Igor Regis

Re: Multiple xwiki

Igor Regis
Hi Vincent,

The idea is to create a xwiki instance for each
corporation department; because it is a huge
corporation with more than 80.000 employees and about
30 departments (each one have a specific set of
hierarchy, rules and autonomy), and each wiki may have
thousands pages.
The problem is to set up these xwiki instances
accessing a unique centralized mainframe database mgr;
since in unlikely that our DBA team will let us to
create one database (table space,...) for each xwiki
instance.
We have discussed about creating a space per
department, but my boos asked me to find a way to
setup  these multiple instances. But if it's
impossible... :-)

If you need more info about the requirements, I can
provide.

Regards,
Igor Regis

--- Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> On Apr 10, 2007, at 1:10 PM, [hidden email]
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I new on this list and I'm not a native English
> speaker (so sorry
> > by any misspelling).
> > I would like to know if its possible or if some
> one have setup a
> > multiple xwiki contexts in only one data base
> model. I didn't find
> > anything about it on FAQ.
> > So the idea is to have more than one xwiki running
> in one o more
> > servers accessing the same data base; but
> considering that each
> > xwiki "instance" will have its own data, menu
> layouts and so.
> > I have found this FAQ
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/FAQ/
> > HowToSetupVirtualWikis
> > but it treats about multiple xwiki instances
> accessing different
> > data bases.
>
> Same database means same wiki content and thus same
> wiki...
>
> If you want several projects to use the same wiki,
> the easiest is to
> have one space per project for example.
>
> Maybe you could let us know what's your functional
> need?

> > Please, any help will be very welcome. If someone
> knows about any
> > docs that I can read...
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Igor Regis
>

> --
> You receive this message as a subscriber of the

Re: Multiple xwiki

Sergiu Dumitriu
So, you want:

1. Make the same content available using one database, but more servlet containers
2. Put different wikis inside the same internal database (one mysql/oracle/postrges... instance, one database=collection of tables)
3. Put different wikis inside the same instance of sql server, but using different internal databases (one mysql/oracle/postgres... instance, but more databases=collections of tables)

I'd recommend 3, as it puts less stress on the database (joins take much less).

1 is easy to accomplish too, but 2 will require some changes in the core.

On 4/10/07, Igor Regis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: Multiple xwiki

Igor Regis
Thanks to organize my questions Sergiu Dumitriu!

I want to do the item 2. We have considered the item
3, but as I have mentioned before our DBA team
probably will not let us to do this - don't ask me why
:-).
So the question remains: Is it possible to setup
really different wiki's on the same database (server
and "tables")?

--- Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]>
escreveu:

> So, you want:
>
> 1. Make the same content available using one
> database, but more servlet
> containers
> 2. Put different wikis inside the same internal
> database (one
> mysql/oracle/postrges... instance, one
> database=collection of tables)
> 3. Put different wikis inside the same instance of
> sql server, but using
> different internal databases (one
> mysql/oracle/postgres... instance, but
> more databases=collections of tables)
>
> I'd recommend 3, as it puts less stress on the
> database (joins take much
> less).
>
> 1 is easy to accomplish too, but 2 will require some
> changes in the core.
>
> On 4/10/07, Igor Regis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Vincent,
> >
> > The idea is to create a xwiki instance for each
> > corporation department; because it is a huge
> > corporation with more than 80.000 employees and
> about
> > 30 departments (each one have a specific set of
> > hierarchy, rules and autonomy), and each wiki may
> have
> > thousands pages.
> > The problem is to set up these xwiki instances
> > accessing a unique centralized mainframe database
> mgr;
> > since in unlikely that our DBA team will let us to
> > create one database (table space,...) for each
> xwiki
> > instance.
> > We have discussed about creating a space per
> > department, but my boos asked me to find a way to
> > setup  these multiple instances. But if it's
> > impossible... :-)
> >
> > If you need more info about the requirements, I
> can
> > provide.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Igor Regis
> >

> --
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu
> >
> --
> You receive this message as a subscriber of the

Re: Multiple xwiki

jeremi joslin-2
Hi,

On 4/10/07, Igor Regis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks to organize my questions Sergiu Dumitriu!
>
> I want to do the item 2. We have considered the item
> 3, but as I have mentioned before our DBA team
> probably will not let us to do this - don't ask me why
> :-).
> So the question remains: Is it possible to setup
> really different wiki's on the same database (server
> and "tables")?

i would say no without rewriting the back end. Or maybe using the JCR
backend, i don't remember how are handle multiwiki on this
environment.

I would recommend like Sergiu to use the solution 3. The others need
more development.

jeremi

--
Jeremi Joslin (http://www.jeremi.info)
skype: jeremi23 - jabber: [hidden email]

Re: Multiple xwiki

It is possible to implement this, but it is currently not implemented. Unfortunately, the core developers don't have the time right now, unless maybe a support contract between XPertNet and your company is established. So the only solutions are to use method 3, or find someone to get inside the XWiki core and implement support for method 2.

escreveu:

> So, you want:
>
> 1. Make the same content available using one
> database, but more servlet
> containers
> 2. Put different wikis inside the same internal
> database (one

> mysql/oracle/postrges... instance, one
> database=collection of tables)
> 3. Put different wikis inside the same instance of
> sql server, but using
> different internal databases (one
> mysql/oracle/postgres... instance, but
> more databases=collections of tables)
>
> I'd recommend 3, as it puts less stress on the
> database (joins take much
> less).
>
> 1 is easy to accomplish too, but 2 will require some

> changes in the core.
>
> On 4/10/07, Igor Regis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Vincent,
> >
> > The idea is to create a xwiki instance for each
> > corporation department; because it is a huge
> > corporation with more than 80.000 employees and
> about
> > 30 departments (each one have a specific set of
> > hierarchy, rules and autonomy), and each wiki may
> have
> > thousands pages.
> > The problem is to set up these xwiki instances
> > accessing a unique centralized mainframe database
> mgr;
> > since in unlikely that our DBA team will let us to
> > create one database (table space,...) for each
> xwiki
> > instance.
> > We have discussed about creating a space per
> > department, but my boos asked me to find a way to
> > setup  these multiple instances. But if it's
> > impossible... :-)
> >
> > If you need more info about the requirements, I
> can
> > provide.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Igor Regis

Sergiu
--
http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: Multiple xwiki

Solution 2 is difficult to implement and might have some issues..
You could imagine modifying the table names to include the name of the wiki.
Howerve this is complex because table names are handled by hibernate so
you would need to intercept table names in hibernate.
Second you could end up with way to many tables in the database and hit
some table number limits in the schema

Ludovic

Igor Regis a écrit :

> Thanks to organize my questions Sergiu Dumitriu!
>
> I want to do the item 2. We have considered the item
> 3, but as I have mentioned before our DBA team
> probably will not let us to do this - don't ask me why
> :-).
> So the question remains: Is it possible to setup
> really different wiki's on the same database (server
> and "tables")?
>
> --- Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]>
> escreveu:
>

>> So, you want:
>>
>> 1. Make the same content available using one
>> database, but more servlet
>> containers
>> 2. Put different wikis inside the same internal
>> database (one
>> mysql/oracle/postrges... instance, one
>> database=collection of tables)
>> 3. Put different wikis inside the same instance of
>> sql server, but using
>> different internal databases (one
>> mysql/oracle/postgres... instance, but
>> more databases=collections of tables)
>>
>> I'd recommend 3, as it puts less stress on the
>> database (joins take much
>> less).
>>
>> 1 is easy to accomplish too, but 2 will require some
>> changes in the core.
>>
>> On 4/10/07, Igor Regis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>
>>> The idea is to create a xwiki instance for each
>>> corporation department; because it is a huge
>>> corporation with more than 80.000 employees and
>>>
>> about
>>
>>> 30 departments (each one have a specific set of
>>> hierarchy, rules and autonomy), and each wiki may
>>>
>> have
>>
>>> thousands pages.
>>> The problem is to set up these xwiki instances
>>> accessing a unique centralized mainframe database
>>>
>> mgr;
>>
>>> since in unlikely that our DBA team will let us to
>>> create one database (table space,...) for each
>>>
>> xwiki
>>
>>> instance.
>>> We have discussed about creating a space per
>>> department, but my boos asked me to find a way to
>>> setup  these multiple instances. But if it's
>>> impossible... :-)
>>>
>>> If you need more info about the requirements, I
>>>
>> can
>>
>>> provide.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Igor Regis
>>>

>> --
>> http://purl.org/net/sergiu
>>
>> --
>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the

> Fale com seus amigos  de graça com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
> http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/

Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost
AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic

Re: Multiple xwiki

Igor Regis
Thank you for all the answers!

I'm a ope source developer too and I know how hard is
to find free time to develop open source code.

I will take the options to my boos and see what they
will decide.

Thanks,
Igor Regis

escreveu:

> It is possible to implement this, but it is
> currently not implemented.
> Unfortunately, the core developers don't have the
> time right now, unless
> maybe a support contract between XPertNet and your
> company is established.
> So the only solutions are to use method 3, or find
> someone to get inside the
> XWiki core and implement support for method 2.
>

> On 4/10/07, Igor Regis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks to organize my questions Sergiu Dumitriu!
> >
> > I want to do the item 2. We have considered the
> item
> > 3, but as I have mentioned before our DBA team
> > probably will not let us to do this - don't ask me
> why
> > :-).
> > So the question remains: Is it possible to setup
> > really different wiki's on the same database
> (server
> > and "tables")?
> >
> > --- Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]>
> > escreveu:
> >
> > > So, you want:
> > >
> > > 1. Make the same content available using one
> > > database, but more servlet
> > > containers
> > > 2. Put different wikis inside the same internal
> > > database (one
> > > mysql/oracle/postrges... instance, one
> > > database=collection of tables)
> > > 3. Put different wikis inside the same instance
> of
> > > sql server, but using
> > > different internal databases (one
> > > mysql/oracle/postgres... instance, but
> > > more databases=collections of tables)
> > >
> > > I'd recommend 3, as it puts less stress on the
> > > database (joins take much
> > > less).
> > >
> > > 1 is easy to accomplish too, but 2 will require
> some
> > > changes in the core.

> each
> and
> > > about
> of
> may
> > > have
> database
> > > mgr;
> us to
> > > xwiki

> > > can

> Sergiu
> --
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu
> >
> --
> You receive this message as a subscriber of the

RE: Multiple xwiki

Pavel-3
I'm not aware of xwiki internals, but if data accessed purely via hibernate,
do you think that one could create deployment-specific mappings with lets
say prefixed table names?

I.e. for 30 departments one may have 30 xwiki deployments. All instances
connect to the same db.

One instance => one prefix => one set of mappings => one set of tables.

Could it possibly work?

Solution 2 is difficult to implement and might have some issues..
You could imagine modifying the table names to include the name of the wiki.
Howerve this is complex because table names are handled by hibernate so you
would need to intercept table names in hibernate.
Second you could end up with way to many tables in the database and hit some
table number limits in the schema

Ludovic

Igor Regis a йcrit :

> Thanks to organize my questions Sergiu Dumitriu!
>
> I want to do the item 2. We have considered the item 3, but as I have
> mentioned before our DBA team probably will not let us to do this -
> don't ask me why :-).
> So the question remains: Is it possible to setup really different
> wiki's on the same database (server and "tables")?
>
> --- Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]>
> escreveu:
>

>> So, you want:
>>
>> 1. Make the same content available using one database, but more
>> servlet containers 2. Put different wikis inside the same internal
>> database (one mysql/oracle/postrges... instance, one
>> database=collection of tables) 3. Put different wikis inside the same
>> instance of sql server, but using different internal databases (one
>> mysql/oracle/postgres... instance, but more databases=collections of
>> tables)
>>
>> I'd recommend 3, as it puts less stress on the database (joins take
>> much less).
>>
>> 1 is easy to accomplish too, but 2 will require some changes in the
>> core.
>>
>> On 4/10/07, Igor Regis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>
>>> The idea is to create a xwiki instance for each corporation
>>> department; because it is a huge corporation with more than 80.000
>>> employees and
>>>
>> about
>>
>>> 30 departments (each one have a specific set of hierarchy, rules and
>>> autonomy), and each wiki may
>>>
>> have
>>
>>> thousands pages.
>>> The problem is to set up these xwiki instances accessing a unique
>>> centralized mainframe database
>>>
>> mgr;
>>
>>> since in unlikely that our DBA team will let us to create one
>>> database (table space,...) for each
>>>
>> xwiki
>>
>>> instance.
>>> We have discussed about creating a space per department, but my boos
>>> asked me to find a way to setup  these multiple instances. But if
>>> it's impossible... :-)
>>>
>>> If you need more info about the requirements, I
>>>
>> can
>>
>>> provide.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Igor Regis
>>>

>> --
>> http://purl.org/net/sergiu
>>
>> --
>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the

> Fale com seus amigos  de graзa com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
> http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/

Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost
AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic

Re: Multiple xwiki

One solution is to create 30 hibernate SessionFactory and use the right
one before each query. As far as I remember it is possible to have these
SessionFactory objects share the same JDBC connection. Creating the
SessionFactory with the correct table names will need to modify the hbm
file on the fly before creating the SessionFactory object.

What's sure is that this does not scale to hundreds of virtual wikis but
it could work under 100.

Ludovic

Pavel a e'crit :