My first try to compile

Hoani CROSS
Hi !

Since a few days, I'm trying to compile the latest source code of xwiki
fetching it from the SVN. Following the tutorial from the xwiki website
first, I encounter major problems (like the TestCase class cannot be found
!) but it resolves as magic a few days after by just updating the code.

My last try was tomorrow, because I wanted to look at the last XWiki GWT
impl. It took 2 hours to resolve problems and have the core module compiled
and installed through maven. Here are the problems I encountered :

   - the sablecc plugin from the xwiki-core-query-jpql-parser module give me
   some trouble especially having the generated classes available for the test
   classes, my solution was to disable tests for this module (I wanted to go as
   fast as possible),
   - the project xwiki-core-query-xwql had problems in test cases getting
   some classes from the previous project : disabling the test was also my
   solution,
   - the xwiki-core tests fails at this test :

    public void testGetLinkedPages10()
    {
        this.mockXWiki.stubs().method("exists").will(returnValue(true));

        this.document

.setContent("[TargetPage][TargetLabel>TargetPage][TargetSpace.TargetPage][TargetLabel>TargetSpace.TargetPage?param=value#anchor][
http://externallink][mailto:mailto]");

        List<String> linkedPages =
this.document.getLinkedPages(getContext());

        assertEquals(Arrays.asList("Space.TargetPage", "Space.TargetPage",
"TargetSpace.TargetPage",
            "TargetSpace.TargetPage"), linkedPages);
    }

As you may noticed, I just adapt the assertEquals() line, even if the
expected result is not exact : I want to have the product installed, point.

Then I re-run maven from the root, let it go and went to bed.

This morning I even get another test failed on xwiki-plugin-spacemanager...
:(

What do you suggests me ? Deactivating the tests for all the modules as a
env. var ? I don't want to spend hours just for compiling xwiki... Thx in
advance !

--
Hoani CROSS
Globotraders Tahiti Founder [http://globotraders-tahiti.com]

Re: My first try to compile

Hi Hoani,

When you have problems like this the first thing to check is hudson:
http://hudson.xwiki.org/

You should check if hudson succeeds or not in building the module you
want to build. If it does then it means the problem is most likely on
your side.

Things you can check:
* make sure your local workspave is up to date: svn up
* make sure you're using the correct version of maven. right now I'd
recommend using 2.1.0-M1

You certainly don't need to touch any source file to build xwiki. BTW
if you ever want to run without tests simply run with -
Dmaven.test.skip=true as is the standard in any maven build.

Let us know how it goes.

On Feb 14, 2009, at 5:38 PM, Hoani Cross wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Since a few days, I'm trying to compile the latest source code of
> xwiki
> fetching it from the SVN. Following the tutorial from the xwiki
> website
> first, I encounter major problems (like the TestCase class cannot be
> found
> !) but it resolves as magic a few days after by just updating the
> code.
>
> My last try was tomorrow, because I wanted to look at the last XWiki
> GWT
> impl. It took 2 hours to resolve problems and have the core module
> compiled
> and installed through maven. Here are the problems I encountered :
>
>   - the sablecc plugin from the xwiki-core-query-jpql-parser module
> give me
>   some trouble especially having the generated classes available for
> the test
>   classes, my solution was to disable tests for this module (I
> wanted to go as
>   fast as possible),
>   - the project xwiki-core-query-xwql had problems in test cases
> getting
>   some classes from the previous project : disabling the test was
> also my
>   solution,
>   - the xwiki-core tests fails at this test :
>
>    public void testGetLinkedPages10()
>    {
>
> this.mockXWiki.stubs().method("exists").will(returnValue(true));
>
>        this.document
>
> .setContent("[TargetPage][TargetLabel>TargetPage]
> [TargetSpace.TargetPage][TargetLabel>TargetSpace.TargetPage?
> param=value#anchor][
> http://externallink][mailto:mailto]");
>
>        List<String> linkedPages =
> this.document.getLinkedPages(getContext());
>
>        assertEquals(Arrays.asList("Space.TargetPage",
> "Space.TargetPage",
> "TargetSpace.TargetPage",
>            "TargetSpace.TargetPage"), linkedPages);
>    }
>
> As you may noticed, I just adapt the assertEquals() line, even if the
> expected result is not exact : I want to have the product installed,
> point.
>
> Then I re-run maven from the root, let it go and went to bed.
>
> This morning I even get another test failed on xwiki-plugin-
> spacemanager...
> :(
>
> What do you suggests me ? Deactivating the tests for all the modules
> as a
> env. var ? I don't want to spend hours just for compiling xwiki...
> Thx in
> advance !
>
> --
> Hoani CROSS
> Globotraders Tahiti Founder [http://globotraders-tahiti.com]

http://xwiki.com
http://xwiki.org
http://massol.net

Re: My first try to compile

Marius Dumitru Florea
Hi Hoani,

I may add that you rarely need to compile everything. Hudson compiles
them for you and maven downloads them as dependencies. So my advice is
to build only the modules you're working on (and maybe the modules that
depend on them, but you can avoid this sometimes by copy&pasting the
resulting artifact, usually a jar, for the target directory to the
required place, usually WEB-INF/lib in XE).

Hope this helps,
Marius

Vincent Massol wrote:

> [...]
>> http://externallink][mailto:mailto]");
>>
>>        List<String> linkedPages =
>> this.document.getLinkedPages(getContext());
>>
>>        assertEquals(Arrays.asList("Space.TargetPage",
>> "Space.TargetPage",
>> "TargetSpace.TargetPage",
>>            "TargetSpace.TargetPage"), linkedPages);
>>    }
>>
>> As you may noticed, I just adapt the assertEquals() line, even if the
>> expected result is not exact : I want to have the product installed,
>> point.
>>
>> Then I re-run maven from the root, let it go and went to bed.
>>
>> This morning I even get another test failed on xwiki-plugin-
>> spacemanager...
>> :(
>>
>> What do you suggests me ? Deactivating the tests for all the modules
>> as a
>> env. var ? I don't want to spend hours just for compiling xwiki...

Re: My first try to compile

Hoani CROSS
Ok at last, Hudson reveals the same failures on xwiki-plugin-spacemanager :)
thx vincent

2009/2/14 Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>

> [...]
> > http://externallink][mailto:mailto]");
> >
> >        List<String> linkedPages =
> > this.document.getLinkedPages(getContext());
> >
> >        assertEquals(Arrays.asList("Space.TargetPage",
> > "Space.TargetPage",
> > "TargetSpace.TargetPage",
> >            "TargetSpace.TargetPage"), linkedPages);
> >    }
> >
> > As you may noticed, I just adapt the assertEquals() line, even if the
> > expected result is not exact : I want to have the product installed,
> > point.
> >
> > Then I re-run maven from the root, let it go and went to bed.
> >
> > This morning I even get another test failed on xwiki-plugin-
> > spacemanager...
> > :(
> >
> > What do you suggests me ? Deactivating the tests for all the modules
> > as a
> > env. var ? I don't want to spend hours just for compiling xwiki...

What about if I want to produce the distribution war with the last trunk
sources ?

Hoani Cross wrote:
> What about if I want to produce the distribution war with the last trunk
> sources ?

cd platform/web/standard
mvn clean install

Maven automatically uses the latest jars, either from you local
repository (if you built those modules not long ago) or from the remote
repository (where they have been built by Hudson). Hudson listens to our
commits and builds the affected modules. Of course, there is a lag
between the time of the commit and the time when the artifact is
available in the remote repository, but most of the time this is not an
issue. You can always build those modules by yourself if you don't want
to wait for Hudson.

>>> http://xwiki.org
>>> http://massol.net

Re: My first try to compile

On Feb 14, 2009, at 6:59 PM, Hoani Cross wrote:

> What about if I want to produce the distribution war with the last
> trunk
> sources ?

You mean if you've made changes to sources? If not, then simply go to
enterprise/distribution/hsqldb/jetty and run "mvn install"
You'll get the latest version that is building fine.

-Vincent

>>> http://xwiki.org
>>> http://massol.net

> Hoani CROSS
> Globotraders Tahiti Founder [http://globotraders-tahiti.com]

http://xwiki.com
http://xwiki.org
http://massol.net

Re: My first try to compile

Hoani CROSS
It worked like a charm, thx However I also need to build the last xwiki
minimal install XAR (as provided on the website), how do I build it ?

Hoani

See http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/SourceRepository#HUnderstandingthedirectorystructure