Navigation panel

thegios
I deleted by mistake the NAVIGATION panel of the standard installation, the one with collapsable spaces.
Could pls someone post the code?

Also, in this panel, I would like to avoid listing certain pages in some spaces: how can i achieve this?

Thanks a lot

Panels on the public free site

THOMAS, BRIAN M (ATTSI)
I wanted to demo some of the nice things that v1.0 offers for some
friends who don't have access to my corporate instances or my home
instance which doesn't have a fixed IP address, so I created a new wiki
on xwiki.org, fitted it with the spiffy new xwiki10b1 skin, and went to
work.  To my dismay, I couldn't find any of the spiffy new user-friendly
features like the side navigation panels - in fact, I couldn't find any
panels at all, or even the wherewithal to implement them.

Is it just me, or is this a feature that I'll just have to do without?

brain[sic]

Re: Navigation panel

Guillaume Lerouge

The best thing to do is to download the xar on http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Download/ . Then you go to administration / import and you upload the xar to your wiki. Then you click on its name, wait a bit for the javascript to act. A list of all the pages in it will be displayed. unselect all and then select onyl Panel.Navigation. Click on import. You're done.

Guillaume

On 15/05/07, thegios <[hidden email] > wrote:

I deleted by mistake the NAVIGATION panel of the standard installation, the
one with collapsable spaces.
Could pls someone post the code?

Also, in this panel, I would like to avoid listing certain pages in some
spaces: how can i achieve this?

Thanks a lot

http://wikibc.blogspot.com/

Re: Navigation panel

kaaloo
Hi there,

You can import the attached XAR package using the import manager
(import tab after going into the Administrator view) to get your
Navigation Panel back.

If you edit the panel, you will see on the third line of the panel
code a provision for hiding certain pages like this:

#set ($hiddenPages = ["Main.WebRss", "Main.WebSearch",
"Main.BlogRss","Main.Test", "Blog.Macros", "Main.TagsRss",
"Main.Ouverture", "Main.WikiLaunch", "Main.RegisterNewUserAction",
"Main.SpaceIndex", "Blog.Category"])

just tack the names of the spaces you wish to hide to that list or use
the blacklisted pages list just after that if the pages always have
the same name.

Cheers,
Luis

On 5/15/07, thegios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I deleted by mistake the NAVIGATION panel of the standard installation, the
> one with collapsable spaces.
> Could pls someone post the code?
>

> Also, in this panel, I would like to avoid listing certain pages in some
> spaces: how can i achieve this?
>
> Thanks a lot

Luis Arias
http://www.xwiki.com
+33 6 14 20 87 93
skype : kaaloo

Navigation.xar (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Panels on the public free site

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi, this is absolutely normal. To get them you need to import the xar that can be found on the download page on XWiki.org. Check the version running on the farm at the bottom left, download the relevant XAR and import it. You're done!

On 15/05/07, THOMAS, BRIAN M (ATTSI) <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wanted to demo some of the nice things that v1.0 offers for some
friends who don't have access to my corporate instances or my home
instance which doesn't have a fixed IP address, so I created a new wiki
on xwiki.org, fitted it with the spiffy new xwiki10b1 skin, and went to
work.  To my dismay, I couldn't find any of the spiffy new user-friendly
features like the side navigation panels - in fact, I couldn't find any
panels at all, or even the wherewithal to implement them.

Is it just me, or is this a feature that I'll just have to do without?

brain[sic]

http://wikibc.blogspot.com/

actually I realised that, but I am trying to do something a little different. For example, under the Blog heading, I would avoid listing all the blogs and only keep WEB HOME, CATEGORIES and ADD NEW BLOG. otherwise the menu becomes too crowded

Re: Navigation panel

On May 16, 2007, at 9:47 AM, thegios wrote:

> Luis Arias wrote:
>>

>> If you edit the panel, you will see on the third line of the panel
>> code a provision for hiding certain pages like this:
>>
>> #set ($hiddenPages = ["Main.WebRss", "Main.WebSearch",
>> "Main.BlogRss","Main.Test", "Blog.Macros", "Main.TagsRss",
>> "Main.Ouverture", "Main.WikiLaunch", "Main.RegisterNewUserAction",
>> "Main.SpaceIndex", "Blog.Category"])
>>
>> just tack the names of the spaces you wish to hide to that list or
>> use
>> the blacklisted pages list just after that if the pages always have
>> the same name.
>>

> Hi,
>
> actually I realised that, but I am trying to do something a little
> different. For example, under the Blog heading, I would avoid
> listing all
> the blogs and only keep WEB HOME, CATEGORIES and ADD NEW BLOG.
> otherwise the
> menu becomes too crowded
This is a generic panel. If you want to control your navigation you
should create your own panel with the navigation you want (as it's
done on xwiki.org for example).

You could of course edit the Navigation panel and include/exclude
pages/spaces but at a certain point you'll find it's better to write
your own fixed navigation if you want control over it.

Re: Navigation panel

Melv Ng

One way to do it is to by default hide pages unless a page doesn't have a parent or contains a specific tag. Please see attached code.  All spaces defined in "hiddenPagesSpaces" will get this special treatment. Show a page by leaving the parent field blank. A page will also be shown if it contains the tag "showPage".

Melv

On 5/16/07, thegios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Luis Arias wrote:

> If you edit the panel, you will see on the third line of the panel
> code a provision for hiding certain pages like this:
>
> #set ($hiddenPages = [" Main.WebRss", "Main.WebSearch",
> "Main.BlogRss","Main.Test", "Blog.Macros", "Main.TagsRss",
> "Main.Ouverture", "Main.WikiLaunch", " Main.RegisterNewUserAction",
> "Main.SpaceIndex", "Blog.Category"])
>
> just tack the names of the spaces you wish to hide to that list or use
> the blacklisted pages list just after that if the pages always have
> the same name.

Hi,

actually I realised that, but I am trying to do something a little
different. For example, under the Blog heading, I would avoid listing all
the blogs and only keep WEB HOME, CATEGORIES and ADD NEW BLOG. otherwise the
menu becomes too crowded

wikipanelcode.txt (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Navigation panel

On May 16, 2007, at 10:21 AM, Melv Ng wrote:

Hi,

One way to do it is to by default hide pages unless a page doesn't have a parent or contains a specific tag.

Good point.

Actually I would do it slightly differently. I would add all pages unless the page has a special "hidden" tag, so that any page created by the user is visible by default. Then all "technical" pages should be tagged with that "hidden" tag.

But I still believe the best solution is to have a fixed navigation as the default Navigation panel doesn't scale when # of pages increase.

Luis Arias wrote:

> If you edit the panel, you will see on the third line of the panel
> code a provision for hiding certain pages like this:
>
> #set ($hiddenPages = [" Main.WebRss", "Main.WebSearch",
> "Main.BlogRss","Main.Test", "Blog.Macros", "Main.TagsRss",
> "Main.Ouverture", "Main.WikiLaunch", " Main.RegisterNewUserAction",
> "Main.SpaceIndex", "Blog.Category"])
>
> just tack the names of the spaces you wish to hide to that list or use
> the blacklisted pages list just after that if the pages always have
> the same name.

Hi,

actually I realised that, but I am trying to do something a little
different. For example, under the Blog heading, I would avoid listing all
the blogs and only keep WEB HOME, CATEGORIES and ADD NEW BLOG. otherwise the
menu becomes too crowded

<wikipanelcode.txt>

RE: Navigation panel

Esbach, Brandon
I'd agree with Vincent there on having fixed navigation panels..
Generally, especially when using panels; try to have your visible panels as lightweight as possible; the entire panel gets reloaded for every page you view - thus performance will become a growing problem.

Luis Arias wrote:

> If you edit the panel, you will see on the third line of the panel
> code a provision for hiding certain pages like this:
>
> #set ($hiddenPages = [" Main.WebRss", "Main.WebSearch",
> "Main.BlogRss","Main.Test", "Blog.Macros", "Main.TagsRss",
> "Main.Ouverture", "Main.WikiLaunch", " Main.RegisterNewUserAction",
> "Main.SpaceIndex", "Blog.Category"])
>
> just tack the names of the spaces you wish to hide to that list or use
> the blacklisted pages list just after that if the pages always have
> the same name.

Hi,

actually I realised that, but I am trying to do something a little
different. For example, under the Blog heading, I would avoid listing all
the blogs and only keep WEB HOME, CATEGORIES and ADD NEW BLOG. otherwise the
menu becomes too crowded

<wikipanelcode.txt>

RE: Panels on the public free site

THOMAS, BRIAN M (ATTSI)
Thanks, Guillaume.

In retrospect, I'm sure I remember this being discussed on the list before; all please forgive my absent-minded laziness.

But that was, indeed, the solution; thanks!

brain[sic]