[Need proposal] How to show "conflicting" macro parameters

[Need proposal] How to show "conflicting" macro parameters

Hi xwikiers,

In the contact of bringing new Page concept (OK 7.4 is starting to get
old) to the API and macros too we decided (1) to introduce a "page"
shortcut property (even if we keep the reference/type for other
types).

While it's nicer for wiki syntax, one issue is that on WYSIWYG macros
UI side, which display all properties, it means ending up with
conflicting parameters that needs to be displayed as such.

I don't really have much clue on how best to display this so I'm
searching for ideas :)

Then I will add in the macro descriptor what's required for whatever
UI we want to build (group and sub groups of properties, etc.).

1: http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/DeprecatingSpaceAndSpaceReference#HMacros

Thomas Mortagnes

Re: [Need proposal] How to show "conflicting" macro parameters

Marius Dumitru Florea
For groups of parameters we could use tabs:

----------8<----------
Param 1
[input]

Param 2 | Param 3 | Param 4 <--- a group of 3 parameters displayed using
tabs (we take into account only the value of the parameter from the active
tab)
[input for param 2]

Param 5
[input]
---------->8----------

But if you want to support subgroups of parameters also then it becomes
more complicated.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 11:52 AM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi xwikiers,
>
> In the contact of bringing new Page concept (OK 7.4 is starting to get
> old) to the API and macros too we decided (1) to introduce a "page"
> shortcut property (even if we keep the reference/type for other
> types).
>
> While it's nicer for wiki syntax, one issue is that on WYSIWYG macros
> UI side, which display all properties, it means ending up with
> conflicting parameters that needs to be displayed as such.
>
> I don't really have much clue on how best to display this so I'm
> searching for ideas :)
>
> Then I will add in the macro descriptor what's required for whatever
> UI we want to build (group and sub groups of properties, etc.).
>
> 1: http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/
> DeprecatingSpaceAndSpaceReference#HMacros

> Thomas Mortagnes

Re: [Need proposal] How to show "conflicting" macro parameters

Here are more details on the actual use case we need to support:

In include/Display macro either you set:

* "reference" and "type" (which default to DOCUMENT)
* or you set "page"

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 10:57 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> For groups of parameters we could use tabs:
>
> ----------8<----------
> Param 1
> [input]
>
> Param 2 | Param 3 | Param 4 <--- a group of 3 parameters displayed using
> tabs (we take into account only the value of the parameter from the active
> tab)
> [input for param 2]
>
> Param 5
> [input]
> ---------->8----------
>
> But if you want to support subgroups of parameters also then it becomes
> more complicated.
>
> Thanks,
> Marius
>
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 11:52 AM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi xwikiers,
>>
>> In the contact of bringing new Page concept (OK 7.4 is starting to get
>> old) to the API and macros too we decided (1) to introduce a "page"
>> shortcut property (even if we keep the reference/type for other
>> types).
>>
>> While it's nicer for wiki syntax, one issue is that on WYSIWYG macros
>> UI side, which display all properties, it means ending up with
>> conflicting parameters that needs to be displayed as such.
>>
>> I don't really have much clue on how best to display this so I'm
>> searching for ideas :)
>>
>> Then I will add in the macro descriptor what's required for whatever
>> UI we want to build (group and sub groups of properties, etc.).
>>
>> 1: http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/
>> DeprecatingSpaceAndSpaceReference#HMacros

>> Thomas Mortagnes

Re: [Need proposal] How to show "conflicting" macro parameters

> On 4 Jul 2018, at 12:07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Here are more details on the actual use case we need to support:
>
> In include/Display macro either you set:
>
> * "reference" and "type" (which default to DOCUMENT)
> * or you set “page"

Globally I think we need to add 3 concepts to macro parameter descriptor:

1) The concept of “deprecated” parameter. For example for “document” in the include macro.
2) The concept of aliases or groups, i.e the ability to list parameters that are mutually exclusive. Example: reference + type vs page for display/include macros. This would mean that in the Macro Dialog UI if you select one of those the other gets unselected/cleared out (you cannot have mutually exclusive params have values).
3) The concept of Advanced parameters. For example, we should put reference + type as advanced parameters so that they are not shown to the user by default (and so that the page parameter is more highlighted). Users would need to click on Advanced to see advanced parameters. I think we’re doing something automatic today (I don’t remember the details) to try to hide some parameters but we should probably review this.

> [...]

> 1) The concept of “deprecated” parameter. For example for “document” in the include macro.
> 2) The concept of aliases or groups, i.e the ability to list parameters that are mutually exclusive. Example: reference + type vs page for display/include macros. This would mean that in the Macro Dialog UI if you select one of those the other gets unselected/cleared out (you cannot have mutually exclusive params have values).
> 3) The concept of Advanced parameters. For example, we should put reference + type as advanced parameters so that they are not shown to the user by default (and so that the page parameter is more highlighted). Users would need to click on Advanced to see advanced parameters. I think we’re doing something automatic today (I don’t remember the details) to try to hide some parameters but we should probably review this.

Ping!

Do we agree about this? If we do we can then create jira issue about it and take it for implementation.

>> On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 10:57 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> For groups of parameters we could use tabs:
>>>
>>> ----------8<----------
>>> Param 1
>>> [input]
>>>
>>> Param 2 | Param 3 | Param 4 <--- a group of 3 parameters displayed using
>>> tabs (we take into account only the value of the parameter from the active
>>> tab)
>>> [input for param 2]
>>>
>>> Param 5
>>> [input]
>>> ---------->8----------
>>>
>>> But if you want to support subgroups of parameters also then it becomes
>>> more complicated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Marius

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Need proposal] How to show "conflicting" macro parameters

Adel Atallah
On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 5:00 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 5 Jul 2018, at 12:06, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> On 4 Jul 2018, at 12:07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Here are more details on the actual use case we need to support:
> >>
> >> In include/Display macro either you set:
> >>
> >> * "reference" and "type" (which default to DOCUMENT)
> >> * or you set “page"
> >
> > Globally I think we need to add 3 concepts to macro parameter descriptor:
> >
> > 1) The concept of “deprecated” parameter. For example for “document” in the include macro.
> > 2) The concept of aliases or groups, i.e the ability to list parameters that are mutually exclusive. Example: reference + type vs page for display/include macros. This would mean that in the Macro Dialog UI if you select one of those the other gets unselected/cleared out (you cannot have mutually exclusive params have values).
> > 3) The concept of Advanced parameters. For example, we should put reference + type as advanced parameters so that they are not shown to the user by default (and so that the page parameter is more highlighted). Users would need to click on Advanced to see advanced parameters. I think we’re doing something automatic today (I don’t remember the details) to try to hide some parameters but we should probably review this.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> Ping!
>
> Do we agree about this? If we do we can then create jira issue about it and take it for implementation.

+1, I can create the jira issue if it's ok.

> >> --
> >> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [Need proposal] How to show "conflicting" macro parameters

> On 19 Sep 2018, at 14:47, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Globally I think we need to add 3 concepts to macro parameter descriptor:
>>>
>>> 1) The concept of “deprecated” parameter. For example for “document” in the include macro.
>>> 2) The concept of aliases or groups, i.e the ability to list parameters that are mutually exclusive. Example: reference + type vs page for display/include macros. This would mean that in the Macro Dialog UI if you select one of those the other gets unselected/cleared out (you cannot have mutually exclusive params have values).
>>> 3) The concept of Advanced parameters. For example, we should put reference + type as advanced parameters so that they are not shown to the user by default (and so that the page parameter is more highlighted). Users would need to click on Advanced to see advanced parameters. I think we’re doing something automatic today (I don’t remember the details) to try to hide some parameters but we should probably review this.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>
>> Ping!
>>
>> Do we agree about this? If we do we can then create jira issue about it and take it for implementation.
>
> +1, I can create the jira issue if it's ok.

Please do :)

@Marius: Ok for you?

thanks
-Vincent

[snip]

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 4:31 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 19 Sep 2018, at 14:47, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> descriptor:

> in the include macro.
> parameters that are mutually exclusive. Example: reference + type vs page
> for display/include macros. This would mean that in the Macro Dialog UI if
> you select one of those the other gets unselected/cleared out (you cannot
> have mutually exclusive params have values).
> reference + type as advanced parameters so that they are not shown to the
> user by default (and so that the page parameter is more highlighted). Users
> would need to click on Advanced to see advanced parameters. I think we’re
> doing something automatic today (I don’t remember the details) to try to
> hide some parameters but we should probably review this.

> >> Ping!
> >>
> >> Do we agree about this? If we do we can then create jira issue about it
> and take it for implementation.
> >
> > +1, I can create the jira issue if it's ok.
>
> Please do :)
>

> @Marius: Ok for you?

Yes.