New blog entry overwrites old

Daniel Johansson
I noticed that if I create a new blog entry with the same title as an existing entry in that same category the old one will be wiped out. Is this expected behavior or a bug? Using xwiki 2.04.

daniel

Re: New blog entry overwrites old

Bubulina
Hello,
I just tested what you said, and in xwiki2.1.1 the behaviour described by you did not replicate.
i created a test page and then tried several times to create another test page, but i kept getting the message "page already exists"
may it be possible that you deleted the article in the first place, and it somehow got stuck in the cache of the browser?
try restarting the server, cleaning browser caches .

Re: New blog entry overwrites old

Daniel Johansson
Indeed, I just tried in 2.2M2 and it tells you the document exists. in 2.04 I did not delete the older post, it got overwritten so now I had 2 posts with the exact same title and content in the News category, it's still here in our wiki. And I actually updated  the first post which updated both posts! They are identical, same date, title and content.

The solution to tell user that document already exist is not very good. In time you may have hundreds of blog entries in one category, making it pretty hard to keep titles unique. In our case we wanted to use it to post what testing is to be done for the week. So each week you want to post an entry such as "Weekly testing". It'll be hard to come up with unique variants to that every week!

Re: New blog entry overwrites old

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi Daniel,

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Daniel Johansson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Indeed, I just tried in 2.2M2 and it tells you the document exists. in 2.04
> did not delete the older post, it got overwritten so now I had 2 posts with
> the exact same title and content in the News category, it's still here in
> our wiki. And I actually updated  the first post which updated both posts!
> They are identical, same date, title and content.
>
> The solution to tell user that document already exist is not very good. In
> time you may have hundreds of blog entries in one category, making it
> pretty
> hard to keep titles unique. In our case we wanted to use it to post what
> testing is to be done for the week. So each week you want to post an entry
> such as "Weekly testing". It'll be hard to come up with unique variants to
> that every week!

You can modify the article creation form to add something like:

$xwiki.getUniquePageName($space, $input)

see
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/DevGuide/API/xwiki%2Dcore%2D2.1.1%2Djavadoc.jar/index.htmlfor
details.

Sergiu, I'm starting to think we could add this to most of the creation
forms to avoid duplicates, WDYT?

I'm increasingly doing it for apps I write on my projects (almost all the
time now).

Guillaume

Guillaume Lerouge
Product Manager - XWiki SAS
Skype: wikibc
Twitter: glerouge
http://guillaumelerouge.com/

Re: New blog entry overwrites old

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
On 02/04/2010 06:02 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Daniel Johansson<[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> Indeed, I just tried in 2.2M2 and it tells you the document exists. in 2.04
>> did not delete the older post, it got overwritten so now I had 2 posts with
>> the exact same title and content in the News category, it's still here in
>> our wiki. And I actually updated  the first post which updated both posts!
>> They are identical, same date, title and content.
>>
>> The solution to tell user that document already exist is not very good. In
>> time you may have hundreds of blog entries in one category, making it
>> pretty
>> hard to keep titles unique. In our case we wanted to use it to post what
>> testing is to be done for the week. So each week you want to post an entry
>> such as "Weekly testing". It'll be hard to come up with unique variants to
>> that every week!
>>

> You can modify the article creation form to add something like:
>
> $xwiki.getUniquePageName($space, $input)
>
> see
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/DevGuide/API/xwiki%2Dcore%2D2.1.1%2Djavadoc.jar/index.htmlfor
> details.
>
> Sergiu, I'm starting to think we could add this to most of the creation
> forms to avoid duplicates, WDYT?
>
> I'm increasingly doing it for apps I write on my projects (almost all the
> time now).

I'm not quite fond of this idea, but something more complex would work.
If the page already exists, offer a few options:

- link to the page so that the user can go to it and edit it instead of
creating a new page
- let the user type another page name
- use getUniquePageName, which appends a number at the end
- append the current date at the end

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: New blog entry overwrites old

Rieken, Joshua

I like these ideas a lot. Having encountered this issue a number of times in my projects, these options would be nice to have.