[New extension request] Reference displayer application

[New extension request] Reference displayer application

caubin
Hi devs,

Anca and I would like to create a new contrib extension named
"application-reference-displayer".

The idea is quite simple : have a new block in the "information" tab of
a wiki document that shows the technical document reference (or page
reference is the wiki version fits).

I'll take care of creating the GH repository / JIRA project myself.

Thanks,
Clément

Re: [New extension request] Reference displayer application

caubin
Done, see :

* https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-reference-displayer
* https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/REFDISP

Thanks,
Clément

On 07/27/2018 09:43 AM, Clément Aubin wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> Anca and I would like to create a new contrib extension named
> "application-reference-displayer".
>
> The idea is quite simple : have a new block in the "information" tab of
> a wiki document that shows the technical document reference (or page
> reference is the wiki version fits).
>
> I'll take care of creating the GH repository / JIRA project myself.
>
> Thanks,
> Clément

Re: [New extension request] Reference displayer application

Eduard Moraru
Hi,

Note that this should not really be done as an extension, since a product
issue already exists on it and previous iterations have been done/discussed.

https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-13362

Thanks,
Eduard

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 10:49 AM, Clément Aubin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Done, see :
>
> * https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-reference-displayer
> * https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/REFDISP
>
> Thanks,
> Clément
>
> On 07/27/2018 09:43 AM, Clément Aubin wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > Anca and I would like to create a new contrib extension named
> > "application-reference-displayer".
> >
> > The idea is quite simple : have a new block in the "information" tab of
> > a wiki document that shows the technical document reference (or page
> > reference is the wiki version fits).
> >
> > I'll take care of creating the GH repository / JIRA project myself.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Clément

Re: [New extension request] Reference displayer application

caubin
Hello hello,

On 07/30/2018 12:56 AM, Eduard Moraru wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Note that this should not really be done as an extension, since a product
> issue already exists on it and previous iterations have been
done/discussed.
AFAIR the use case that we have is mostly to allow users working on old
versions on XWiki to actually use the extension. We don't want them to
upgrade XWiki just to get this functionality.

Thanks,
Clément

> https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-13362
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 10:49 AM, Clément Aubin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Done, see :
>>
>> * https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-reference-displayer
>> * https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/REFDISP
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Clément
>>
>> On 07/27/2018 09:43 AM, Clément Aubin wrote:
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> Anca and I would like to create a new contrib extension named
>>> "application-reference-displayer".
>>>
>>> The idea is quite simple : have a new block in the "information" tab of
>>> a wiki document that shows the technical document reference (or page
>>> reference is the wiki version fits).
>>>
>>> I'll take care of creating the GH repository / JIRA project myself.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Clément

Re: [New extension request] Reference displayer application

Eduard Moraru
Yes, but where do you draw the line?

The same argument goes for any new feature. Do we handle new features as
part of the product or always as installable extensions?

For this case, as mentioned, we already had the issue and previous
investigation on it, so it only made sense to expect it to be part of the
product... hence my remark.

Let's see what others think...

Thanks,
Eduard

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018, 16:52 Clément Aubin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello hello,
>
> On 07/30/2018 12:56 AM, Eduard Moraru wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Note that this should not really be done as an extension, since a product
> > issue already exists on it and previous iterations have been
> done/discussed.
> AFAIR the use case that we have is mostly to allow users working on old
> versions on XWiki to actually use the extension. We don't want them to
> upgrade XWiki just to get this functionality.
>
> Thanks,
> Clément
>
> > https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-13362
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eduard
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 10:49 AM, Clément Aubin <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Done, see :
> >>
> >> * https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/application-reference-displayer
> >> * https://jira.xwiki.org/projects/REFDISP
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Clément

Re: [New extension request] Reference displayer application

Ludovic Dubost
Nothing stops from doing both, mentioning the extensions is not needed from
version x.x.

If adding it to the core is better from design and performance perspective
then the extension is a better approach. Now the implementation would
better match the investigation.

Ludovic