New install problem: 404 from Tomcat

Graeme West
Hi all,
Just attempted to deploy the XWiki 1.4 .WAR distribution into Tomcat
5.5.20, using PostgreSQL, and I'm getting a 404 error when I try to
load the Xwiki main page.

I deployed the wiki by dropping the .war file into the webapps
directory, and Tomcat subsequently automatically unpacked the WAR into
an 'xwiki' directory.

But now when I go to my host : http://localhost:8080/xwiki/ , I get an
Apache Tomcat 404 error, saying "The requested resource (/xwiki/) is
not available.". It's not even an XWiki 404 - it's a default Tomcat
one, the same as I'd get if I loaded http://localhost:8080/ThisWebAppDoesNotExist
.

I'm sure I've installed the Xwiki war incorrectly, but can anyone
point me in the right direction - where have I gone wrong?

I'm deploying on CentOS 5 using the default Tomcat installation which
comes with that OS. The only thing I've changed is the Hibernate
configuration to reflect a Postgre database (which is set up).

Thanks in advance.

Graeme West

Re: New install problem: 404 from Tomcat

Esbach, Brandon
Graeme,

If you've just deployed it, you usually need to ensure you've setup the
hibernate to point to your database (it's fairly simple to do, just edit
the file and uncomment the relative area, adding in account details as
needed).
AFAIK tomcat won't start the app until it has a valid db connection,
which could explain why you're getting a tomcat error (and not an xwiki
error)

[...]

Glasgow Caledonian University is a registered Scottish charity, number
SC021474 _______________________________________________

Re: New install problem: 404 from Tomcat

squirrely_wrath
Have you done this (accordingly)?

cd /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/lib/
> wget http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/postgresql-8.3-603.jdbc4.jar
>
> chown tomcat55:nogroup
> /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/lib/postgresql-8.3-603.jdbc4.jar
> /etc/init.d/tomcat5.5 restart

I'm fighting right now with Ubuntu 8.04 Server. I'm just getting a white
page and I know that other users did get that too, but because I used Debian
Etch before I always thought they are doing something wrong...now I believe
something in Ubuntu is broken...dammit...6 times a complete server
setup...the same steps one time in Debian and voila, it works....

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Esbach, Brandon <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Graeme,
>
> If you've just deployed it, you usually need to ensure you've setup the
> hibernate to point to your database (it's fairly simple to do, just edit
> the file and uncomment the relative area, adding in account details as
> needed).
> AFAIK tomcat won't start the app until it has a valid db connection,
> which could explain why you're getting a tomcat error (and not an xwiki
> error)

Jean-Vincent Drean
Hi Graeme,

Do you see any error in the container log ?
Having the DB misconfigured lead to a XWiki exception, getting a 404
means that the container hasn't deployed the webapp.
Can it be a right issue ? Is the owner of the xwiki webapp files tomcat:tomcat ?

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Esbach, Brandon
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Graeme,
>
> If you've just deployed it, you usually need to ensure you've setup the
> hibernate to point to your database (it's fairly simple to do, just edit
> the file and uncomment the relative area, adding in account details as
> needed).
> AFAIK tomcat won't start the app until it has a valid db connection,
> which could explain why you're getting a tomcat error (and not an xwiki
> error)

Jean-Vincent Drean

Re: New install problem: 404 from Tomcat

squirrely_wrath
The owner is varying from distribution to distribution...sometimes it's
tomcat55:nogroup (debian+ubuntu) or if you install tomcat from source,
whatever you have defined...

But Jean-Vincent is right, that could be an issue too.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Jean-Vincent Drean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Graeme,
>
> Do you see any error in the container log ?
> Having the DB misconfigured lead to a XWiki exception, getting a 404
> means that the container hasn't deployed the webapp.
> Can it be a right issue ? Is the owner of the xwiki webapp files
> tomcat:tomcat ?
>
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Esbach, Brandon
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Graeme,
> >
> > If you've just deployed it, you usually need to ensure you've setup the
> > hibernate to point to your database (it's fairly simple to do, just edit
> > the file and uncomment the relative area, adding in account details as
> > needed).
> > AFAIK tomcat won't start the app until it has a valid db connection,
> > which could explain why you're getting a tomcat error (and not an xwiki
> > error)

Thanks for your ideas. I'm using 'postgresql-jdbc3.jar', which shipped
with CentOS 5, in the /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/lib
directory. It has the correct permissions and ownership (the same as
all the other tomcat libs).

I just tried switching to using MySQL with the MySQL/j connector
instead - this gave the same result. So I'm thinking it's a Tomcat
problem.

I've also tried deleting the Xwiki webapp folder, and letting Tomcat
re-unpack it. Same result.

I can't see anything unusual in the Tomcat logs at all, unfortunately.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Graeme West

On 12 Jun 2008, at 15:02, Squirrel wrote:

> The owner is varying from distribution to distribution...sometimes
> it's
> tomcat55:nogroup (debian+ubuntu) or if you install tomcat from source,
> whatever you have defined...
>
> But Jean-Vincent is right, that could be an issue too.
>

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Jean-Vincent Drean <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Graeme,
>>
>> Do you see any error in the container log ?
>> Having the DB misconfigured lead to a XWiki exception, getting a 404
>> means that the container hasn't deployed the webapp.
>> Can it be a right issue ? Is the owner of the xwiki webapp files
>> tomcat:tomcat ?
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Esbach, Brandon
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Graeme,
>>>
>>> If you've just deployed it, you usually need to ensure you've
>>> setup the
>>> hibernate to point to your database (it's fairly simple to do,
>>> just edit
>>> the file and uncomment the relative area, adding in account
>>> details as
>>> needed).
>>> AFAIK tomcat won't start the app until it has a valid db connection,
>>> which could explain why you're getting a tomcat error (and not an
>>> xwiki
>>> error)

I would try to remove tomcat and install it from source or try it (in a
virtualbox) with Debian Etch...

Sorry lacking in better ideas...

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Graeme West <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> Thanks for your ideas. I'm using 'postgresql-jdbc3.jar', which shipped
> with CentOS 5, in the /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/lib
> directory. It has the correct permissions and ownership (the same as
> all the other tomcat libs).
>
> I just tried switching to using MySQL with the MySQL/j connector
> instead - this gave the same result. So I'm thinking it's a Tomcat
> problem.
>
> I've also tried deleting the Xwiki webapp folder, and letting Tomcat
> re-unpack it. Same result.
>
> I can't see anything unusual in the Tomcat logs at all, unfortunately.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Graeme West
>
> On 12 Jun 2008, at 15:02, Squirrel wrote:
>
> > The owner is varying from distribution to distribution...sometimes
> > it's
> > tomcat55:nogroup (debian+ubuntu) or if you install tomcat from source,
> > whatever you have defined...
> >
> > But Jean-Vincent is right, that could be an issue too.
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Jean-Vincent Drean <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Graeme,
> >>
> >> Do you see any error in the container log ?
> >> Having the DB misconfigured lead to a XWiki exception, getting a 404
> >> means that the container hasn't deployed the webapp.
> >> Can it be a right issue ? Is the owner of the xwiki webapp files
> >> tomcat:tomcat ?

Just to let you know:

I just tried it with CentOS 5 too, without any success.
I tried it again with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server, no success (I spent over 12
hours, installing the whole server more than 5 times from scratch, searching
for infos, etc.)
Switched back, again, to Debian Etch, 30 min. later everything is up and
running.

Boy, freaking distro bunglers...

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Squirrel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would try to remove tomcat and install it from source or try it (in a
> virtualbox) with Debian Etch...
>
> Sorry lacking in better ideas...
>

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Graeme West <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Thanks for your ideas. I'm using 'postgresql-jdbc3.jar', which shipped
>> with CentOS 5, in the /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/lib
>> directory. It has the correct permissions and ownership (the same as
>> all the other tomcat libs).
>>
>> I just tried switching to using MySQL with the MySQL/j connector
>> instead - this gave the same result. So I'm thinking it's a Tomcat
>> problem.
>>
>> I've also tried deleting the Xwiki webapp folder, and letting Tomcat
>> re-unpack it. Same result.
>>
>> I can't see anything unusual in the Tomcat logs at all, unfortunately.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Graeme West
>>
>> On 12 Jun 2008, at 15:02, Squirrel wrote:
>>
>> > The owner is varying from distribution to distribution...sometimes
>> > it's
>> > tomcat55:nogroup (debian+ubuntu) or if you install tomcat from source,
>> > whatever you have defined...
>> >
>> > But Jean-Vincent is right, that could be an issue too.

Hi Squirrel,
Thanks for the info. I might give the standalone distribution one more
go and then I'll give up...

Thanks for your help everyone.

Graeme

On 12 Jun 2008, at 18:37, Squirrel wrote:

> Just to let you know:
>
> I just tried it with CentOS 5 too, without any success.
> I tried it again with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server, no success (I spent
> over 12
> hours, installing the whole server more than 5 times from scratch,
> searching
> for infos, etc.)
> Switched back, again, to Debian Etch, 30 min. later everything is up
> and
> running.
>
> Boy, freaking distro bunglers...
>

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Squirrel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I would try to remove tomcat and install it from source or try it
>> (in a
>> virtualbox) with Debian Etch...
>>
>> Sorry lacking in better ideas...
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Graeme West
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> Thanks for your ideas. I'm using 'postgresql-jdbc3.jar', which
>>> shipped
>>> with CentOS 5, in the /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF/lib
>>> directory. It has the correct permissions and ownership (the same as
>>> all the other tomcat libs).
>>>
>>> I just tried switching to using MySQL with the MySQL/j connector
>>> instead - this gave the same result. So I'm thinking it's a Tomcat
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> I've also tried deleting the Xwiki webapp folder, and letting Tomcat
>>> re-unpack it. Same result.
>>>
>>> I can't see anything unusual in the Tomcat logs at all,
>>> unfortunately.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> Graeme West

>>> SC021474
>
> Email has been scanned for viruses by Altman Technologies' email
> management service - www.altman.co.uk/emailsystems

Re: New install problem: 404 from Tomcat

squirrely_wrath
This might help you:
http://www.howtoforge.de/howto/xwiki-on-debian-4-etch-tomcat-mysql/

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 4:52 AM, Graeme West <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Squirrel,
> Thanks for the info. I might give the standalone distribution one more
> go and then I'll give up...
>
> Thanks for your help everyone.
>
> Graeme
>

> On 12 Jun 2008, at 18:37, Squirrel wrote:
>
> > Just to let you know:
> >
> > I just tried it with CentOS 5 too, without any success.
> > I tried it again with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server, no success (I spent
> > over 12
> > hours, installing the whole server more than 5 times from scratch,
> > searching
> > for infos, etc.)
> > Switched back, again, to Debian Etch, 30 min. later everything is up
> > and
> > running.
> >
> > Boy, freaking distro bunglers...
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Squirrel
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I would try to remove tomcat and install it from source or try it
> >> (in a
> >> virtualbox) with Debian Etch...
> >>
> >> Sorry lacking in better ideas...
> >>

> >> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Graeme West
> >> <[hidden email]>

I'm sorry, that was my german howto, here the english one:
http://www.howtoforge.com/xwiki-tomcat-mysql-debian-etch