Not able to make changes on localhost.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Not able to make changes on localhost.

Sarthak Gupta
Hi,

Two days before I downloaded the application-blog repository from github on
my pc. In order to check whether the changes I make in the repository(on my
pc) are visible while running the localhost on browser, I made some changes
in the ui of the application blog.
(I tried to change the color of the 'date' text on top of blog page, I
tried to increased the font size of title, I tried to shift the position of
blog-button-toolbox ).

 But I think these changes are not visible to me on localhost after
building the whole repository again.

The process that I follow is:

   - Going to the application-blog directory.
   - going to application-blog-ui
   - making changes in BlogStyle.xml and saving them.
   - going back to application-blog directory.
   - mvn clean install.(100% success)
   - refreshing the localhost on my web browser.

No changes seen! :/

Could there be any reason for this?
 Or am I doing it in a wrong way?

Thank You

Sarthak Gupta
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not able to make changes on localhost.

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Two days before I downloaded the application-blog repository from github on
> my pc. In order to check whether the changes I make in the repository(on my
> pc) are visible while running the localhost on browser, I made some changes
> in the ui of the application blog.
> (I tried to change the color of the 'date' text on top of blog page, I
> tried to increased the font size of title, I tried to shift the position of
> blog-button-toolbox ).
>
>  But I think these changes are not visible to me on localhost after
> building the whole repository again.
>
> The process that I follow is:
>
>    - Going to the application-blog directory.
>    - going to application-blog-ui
>    - making changes in BlogStyle.xml and saving them.
>    - going back to application-blog directory.
>    - mvn clean install.(100% success)
>    - refreshing the localhost on my web browser.
>
> No changes seen! :/
>
> Could there be any reason for this?
>


>  Or am I doing it in a wrong way?
>

You're doing it the wrong way. The running XWiki instance (localhost) reads
and writes the wiki pages from/to the database (HSQLDB, MySql, or whatever
database you're using). The running XWiki instance doesn't know about the
GitHub repositories you clone locally.

If you want to modify the wiki pages then you should do it from the XWiki
UI, from the browser. Then you can export the modified pages and copy them
to the source repository.

If you want to have the latest version of the wiki pages (e.g. Blog UI) in
your running XWiki instance then you should import the XAR generated by
building the sources. Then edit the wiki page in the running instance
(localhost).

Hope this helps,
Marius


>
> Thank You
>
> Sarthak Gupta
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not able to make changes on localhost.

Sarthak Gupta
Yup understood. :)

Thanks :D

On 18-Apr-2017 5:38 PM, "Marius Dumitru Florea" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Sarthak Gupta <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Two days before I downloaded the application-blog repository from github
> on
> > my pc. In order to check whether the changes I make in the repository(on
> my
> > pc) are visible while running the localhost on browser, I made some
> changes
> > in the ui of the application blog.
> > (I tried to change the color of the 'date' text on top of blog page, I
> > tried to increased the font size of title, I tried to shift the position
> of
> > blog-button-toolbox ).
> >
> >  But I think these changes are not visible to me on localhost after
> > building the whole repository again.
> >
> > The process that I follow is:
> >
> >    - Going to the application-blog directory.
> >    - going to application-blog-ui
> >    - making changes in BlogStyle.xml and saving them.
> >    - going back to application-blog directory.
> >    - mvn clean install.(100% success)
> >    - refreshing the localhost on my web browser.
> >
> > No changes seen! :/
> >
> > Could there be any reason for this?
> >
>
>
> >  Or am I doing it in a wrong way?
> >
>
> You're doing it the wrong way. The running XWiki instance (localhost) reads
> and writes the wiki pages from/to the database (HSQLDB, MySql, or whatever
> database you're using). The running XWiki instance doesn't know about the
> GitHub repositories you clone locally.
>
> If you want to modify the wiki pages then you should do it from the XWiki
> UI, from the browser. Then you can export the modified pages and copy them
> to the source repository.
>
> If you want to have the latest version of the wiki pages (e.g. Blog UI) in
> your running XWiki instance then you should import the XAR generated by
> building the sources. Then edit the wiki page in the running instance
> (localhost).
>
> Hope this helps,
> Marius
>
>
> >
> > Thank You
> >
> > Sarthak Gupta
> >
>