Onboarding feedback

Adel Atallah
Hello everyone,

I've been following the onboarding tracks 1 and 2 on the past days, here is
what I can say:
The first track really helped me to get started in XWiki contributions as I
could easily pick a jira issue to work on. The issue description was clear
even though we had to discuss it on the chat. Speaking of the chat, it has
been a very valuable tool, people have been very responsive and I was
rarely stuck. I found the development practice a bit inconvenient at first,
having to make changes in the vm files of my XWiki instance and then report
the changes to the sources. I would have love to see a way to link my
source files (especially for vm/js/css files) with the one of my XWiki
instance to avoid errors when I copy past my changes (and get benefit of my
git ecosystem).
The second track is a good introduction to some XWiki concepts, I don't
have much to say for this one. A link to a real application could maybe
give a better understanding.

Thanks again for the help I had!

<http://www.xwiki.com/> *Adel Atallah*
*Product developer intern*
[hidden email] <[hidden email]>
tel: +33 (0)6 12 96 35 06

Re: Onboarding feedback

Guillaume Delhumeau

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been following the onboarding tracks 1 and 2 on the past days, here is
> what I can say:
> The first track really helped me to get started in XWiki contributions as I
> could easily pick a jira issue to work on. The issue description was clear
> even though we had to discuss it on the chat. Speaking of the chat, it has
> been a very valuable tool, people have been very responsive and I was
> rarely stuck. I found the development practice a bit inconvenient at first,
> having to make changes in the vm files of my XWiki instance and then report
> the changes to the sources.

On my side I like to use a diff tool to compare the templates of my running
instance to the corresponding folder in my source files. For example, with
the tool "meld", I do:

meld ~/xwiki/instance/webapps/xwiki/templates/
~/xwiki/platform/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-web/src/main/webapp/templates/

Or, for flamingo:

meld ~/xwiki/instance/webapps/xwiki/skins/flamingo/
~/xwiki/platform/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-flamingo/xwiki-platform-flamingo-skin/xwiki-platform-flamingo-skin-resources/src/main/resources/flamingo

On my computer, I have created bash aliases for these 2 commands so I can
start a diff very quickly.

Then, it's very easy to see which files has changed, and I can copy them to
the sources directory with a single click.

I hope it helps,

Thanks

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: Onboarding feedback

Thanks for the feedback Adel

> On 19 Apr 2018, at 11:05, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been following the onboarding tracks 1 and 2 on the past days, here is
> what I can say:
> The first track really helped me to get started in XWiki contributions as I
> could easily pick a jira issue to work on. The issue description was clear
> even though we had to discuss it on the chat. Speaking of the chat, it has
> been a very valuable tool, people have been very responsive and I was
> rarely stuck. I found the development practice a bit inconvenient at first,
> having to make changes in the vm files of my XWiki instance and then report
> the changes to the sources. I would have love to see a way to link my
> source files (especially for vm/js/css files) with the one of my XWiki
> instance to avoid errors when I copy past my changes (and get benefit of my
> git ecosystem).

For XAR dev I’d really like to have a “mvn xar:push” and “mvn xar:pull” mojos to sync your XML with an XWiki instance.

We could imagine something similar for template files.

> The second track is a good introduction to some XWiki concepts, I don't
> have much to say for this one. A link to a real application could maybe
> give a better understanding.
>
> Thanks again for the help I had!
>
> <http://www.xwiki.com/> *Adel Atallah*
> *Product developer intern*
> [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> tel: +33 (0)6 12 96 35 06

Re: Onboarding feedback

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 11:05 AM, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been following the onboarding tracks 1 and 2 on the past days, here is
> what I can say:
> The first track really helped me to get started in XWiki contributions as I
> could easily pick a jira issue to work on. The issue description was clear
> even though we had to discuss it on the chat. Speaking of the chat, it has
> been a very valuable tool, people have been very responsive and I was
> rarely stuck. I found the development practice a bit inconvenient at first,
> having to make changes in the vm files of my XWiki instance and then report
> the changes to the sources. I would have love to see a way to link my
> source files (especially for vm/js/css files) with the one of my XWiki
> instance to avoid errors when I copy past my changes (and get benefit of my
> git ecosystem).

In Eclipse you have
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DebugXWikiWithEclipse.
This is also pre-configured in
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Onboarding/VM/Ubuntu/Eclipse/.

> The second track is a good introduction to some XWiki concepts, I don't
> have much to say for this one. A link to a real application could maybe
> give a better understanding.
>
> Thanks again for the help I had!
>
> <http://www.xwiki.com/> *Adel Atallah*
> *Product developer intern*
> [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> tel: +33 (0)6 12 96 35 06

Re: Onboarding feedback

On 04/19/2018 06:50 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback Adel
>
>> On 19 Apr 2018, at 11:05, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I've been following the onboarding tracks 1 and 2 on the past days, here is
>> what I can say:
>> The first track really helped me to get started in XWiki contributions as I
>> could easily pick a jira issue to work on. The issue description was clear
>> even though we had to discuss it on the chat. Speaking of the chat, it has
>> been a very valuable tool, people have been very responsive and I was
>> rarely stuck. I found the development practice a bit inconvenient at first,
>> having to make changes in the vm files of my XWiki instance and then report
>> the changes to the sources. I would have love to see a way to link my
>> source files (especially for vm/js/css files) with the one of my XWiki
>> instance to avoid errors when I copy past my changes (and get benefit of my
>> git ecosystem).
>

> For XAR dev I’d really like to have a “mvn xar:push” and “mvn xar:pull” mojos to sync your XML with an XWiki instance.

Sounds like you want this:

https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-commons/compare/master...sebialex:GetMojo

> We could imagine something similar for template files.

>> The second track is a good introduction to some XWiki concepts, I don't
>> have much to say for this one. A link to a real application could maybe
>> give a better understanding.
>>
>> Thanks again for the help I had!
>>
>> <http://www.xwiki.com/> *Adel Atallah*
>> *Product developer intern*
>> [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
>> tel: +33 (0)6 12 96 35 06

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: Onboarding feedback

Eduard Moraru
That's actually pretty cool, Sergiu! Thanks for sharing!

Vincent/others, WDYT about merging this?

Thanks,
Eduard

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 11:11 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/19/2018 06:50 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
> > Thanks for the feedback Adel
> >
> >> On 19 Apr 2018, at 11:05, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> I've been following the onboarding tracks 1 and 2 on the past days,
> here is
> >> what I can say:
> >> The first track really helped me to get started in XWiki contributions
> as I
> >> could easily pick a jira issue to work on. The issue description was
> clear
> >> even though we had to discuss it on the chat. Speaking of the chat, it
> has
> >> been a very valuable tool, people have been very responsive and I was
> >> rarely stuck. I found the development practice a bit inconvenient at
> first,
> >> having to make changes in the vm files of my XWiki instance and then
> report
> >> the changes to the sources. I would have love to see a way to link my
> >> source files (especially for vm/js/css files) with the one of my XWiki
> >> instance to avoid errors when I copy past my changes (and get benefit
> of my
> >> git ecosystem).
> >

> > For XAR dev I’d really like to have a “mvn xar:push” and “mvn xar:pull”
> mojos to sync your XML with an XWiki instance.
>
> Sounds like you want this:
>
> https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-commons/compare/master...sebialex:GetMojo
>
> > We could imagine something similar for template files.

> >> The second track is a good introduction to some XWiki concepts, I don't
> >> have much to say for this one. A link to a real application could maybe
> >> give a better understanding.
> >>
> >> Thanks again for the help I had!
> >>
> >> <http://www.xwiki.com/> *Adel Atallah*
> >> *Product developer intern*
> >> [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> >> tel: +33 (0)6 12 96 35 06
> >

> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: Onboarding feedback

Hi Sergiu, Edy,

> On 8 May 2018, at 12:01, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That's actually pretty cool, Sergiu! Thanks for sharing!
>
> Vincent/others, WDYT about merging this?

Yes it’s pretty look and is almost exactly what I meant (there’s just a problem with the username/password which should be done differently - either ask for them or use something like https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-encryption.html and get them from settings.xml ;)). It’s providing the “pull” part from what I see. We would need to add the “push” part to deploy changes done in the filesystem.

@Sergiu: do you think a PR could be proposed for this? :)

Thanks a lot