OpenCollective for XWiki Community

This is a proposal for the content we would have if we were to create an
OpenCollective account for XWiki.
Take a look at
https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective

The issues we need to solve / validate are:
A. Decide on the URL name (xwiki is already taken by XWiki SAS)
B. See if XWiki SAS can act like our Fiscal host
C. Validate the tiers and content
https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective#HTiers
(we might need more details on how the "Bug Fixer" works in case we agree
to it)

Let me know what you think,

Re: OpenCollective for XWiki Community

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Ping

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 5:22 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>

> This is a proposal for the content we would have if we were to create an
> OpenCollective account for XWiki.
> Take a look at
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective
>
> The issues we need to solve / validate are:
> A. Decide on the URL name (xwiki is already taken by XWiki SAS)
> B. See if XWiki SAS can act like our Fiscal host
> C. Validate the tiers and content
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective#HTiers
> (we might need more details on how the "Bug Fixer" works in case we agree
> to it)
>
> Let me know what you think,
> Caty

Re: OpenCollective for XWiki Community

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
For the record: OpenCollective's 'competitor' https://communitybridge.org,
still in early access, but launched by Linux Foundation (
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/)

We could use the CommunityBridge in parallel with OpenCollective.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ping
>
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 5:22 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> This is a proposal for the content we would have if we were to create an
>> OpenCollective account for XWiki.
>> Take a look at
>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective
>>
>> The issues we need to solve / validate are:
>> A. Decide on the URL name (xwiki is already taken by XWiki SAS)
>> B. See if XWiki SAS can act like our Fiscal host
>> C. Validate the tiers and content
>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective#HTiers
>> (we might need more details on how the "Bug Fixer" works in case we agree
>> to it)
>>
>> Let me know what you think,
>> Caty

Re: OpenCollective for XWiki Community

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
For reference: the tweet for the Community Bridge
https://twitter.com/linuxfoundation/status/1105603331463016449

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 5:39 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For the record: OpenCollective's 'competitor' https://communitybridge.org,
> still in early access, but launched by Linux Foundation (
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/)
>
> We could use the CommunityBridge in parallel with OpenCollective.
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ping
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 5:22 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> This is a proposal for the content we would have if we were to create an
>>> OpenCollective account for XWiki.
>>> Take a look at
>>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective
>>>
>>> The issues we need to solve / validate are:
>>> A. Decide on the URL name (xwiki is already taken by XWiki SAS)
>>> B. See if XWiki SAS can act like our Fiscal host
>>> C. Validate the tiers and content
>>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective#HTiers
>>> (we might need more details on how the "Bug Fixer" works in case we agree
>>> to it)
>>>
>>> Let me know what you think,
>>> Caty

Re: OpenCollective for XWiki Community

I’d say that we should start with opencollective for now.

We can always add more later on. But the importance is to get started.

> On 13 Mar 2019, at 16:39, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For the record: OpenCollective's 'competitor' https://communitybridge.org,
> still in early access, but launched by Linux Foundation (
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/)
>
> We could use the CommunityBridge in parallel with OpenCollective.
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ping
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 5:22 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> This is a proposal for the content we would have if we were to create an
>>> OpenCollective account for XWiki.
>>> Take a look at
>>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective
>>>
>>> The issues we need to solve / validate are:
>>> A. Decide on the URL name (xwiki is already taken by XWiki SAS)
>>> B. See if XWiki SAS can act like our Fiscal host
>>> C. Validate the tiers and content
>>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective#HTiers
>>> (we might need more details on how the "Bug Fixer" works in case we agree
>>> to it)
>>>
>>> Let me know what you think,
>>> Caty

Re: OpenCollective for XWiki Community

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Please vote on the Tiers we should have on XWiki's OpenCollective page
https://goo.gl/forms/qTDsxt1GvpU0ET3n2

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 6:26 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’d say that we should start with opencollective for now.
>
> We can always add more later on. But the importance is to get started.

> > On 13 Mar 2019, at 16:39, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > For the record: OpenCollective's 'competitor'
> https://communitybridge.org,
> > still in early access, but launched by Linux Foundation (
> > https://www.linuxfoundation.org/)
> >
> > We could use the CommunityBridge in parallel with OpenCollective.
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Ping

> an

> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective#HTiers
> agree

Re: OpenCollective for XWiki Community

Hi Caty and all,

> On 19 Mar 2019, at 12:11, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Please vote on the Tiers we should have on XWiki's OpenCollective page
> https://goo.gl/forms/qTDsxt1GvpU0ET3n2

* What is a member?
* For me the Tshirt is not part of the title but it’s a reward.
* Issue sponsor isn’t defined well enough. You seem to indicate 1 issue only… which is low. Is it 1 issue per release? Also needs some limits on the complexity (such as < 2 days of work). I would put 2000 euros for 2 days of work since the goal is not to do service work but to sponsor the sofware and by doing so you get a reward. So it has to be higher than if you were just paying for an issue. So I would put 2000 euros for max of 2 days issues per month. 1000 euros for 1 day is also possible but reduces a lot the type of issues that can be taken.
* For all of them I find the description too weak. We need to explain where the money goes in more details IMO. Also what about XWiki SAS’s current sponsoring. Why would anyone want to give when XWiki SAS gives already? This is not explained.
* Support Sponsor is interesting but it should be 1000 euros per month and be limited to 2 hours IMO.

Regarding Issue sponsor and Support Sponsor there’s an issue though. It’s not clear where the money goes and what it’ll be used for. Imagine, for example, that Clemens does an Issue sponsor. Does some part of the money go to him? If not, what is it used for and how does it benefit Clemens globally?

So I really think we need to explain what the money is going to be used in details, on top of what XWiki SAS already sponsors. That should be our first step IMO.

> Caty
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 6:26 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I’d say that we should start with opencollective for now.
>>
>> We can always add more later on. But the importance is to get started.

>>> On 13 Mar 2019, at 16:39, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> For the record: OpenCollective's 'competitor'
>> https://communitybridge.org,
>>> still in early access, but launched by Linux Foundation (
>>> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/)
>>>
>>> We could use the CommunityBridge in parallel with OpenCollective.

>> an

>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective#HTiers
>> agree

Re: OpenCollective for XWiki Community

Another point:

 * There are only recurring donations. I believe we also need one shot ones, don’t you think?

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 2:46 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Caty and all,
>
> > On 19 Mar 2019, at 12:11, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Please vote on the Tiers we should have on XWiki's OpenCollective page
> > https://goo.gl/forms/qTDsxt1GvpU0ET3n2
>
> * What is a member?

You know naming is hard. Finding tier names especially. That's why I've put
'member' or 'T-shirt Backer'. Otherwise we would need to find good names to
differentiate between simple backers and backers with 'benefits'.

> * For me the Tshirt is not part of the title but it’s a reward.

At least the tier is very descriptive.

> * Issue sponsor isn’t defined well enough. You seem to indicate 1 issue
> only… which is low. Is it 1 issue per release? Also needs some limits on
> the complexity (such as < 2 days of work). I would put 2000 euros for 2
> days of work since the goal is not to do service work but to sponsor the
> sofware and by doing so you get a reward. So it has to be higher than if
> you were just paying for an issue. So I would put 2000 euros for max of 2
> days issues per month. 1000 euros for 1 day is also possible but reduces a
> lot the type of issues that can be taken.
> * For all of them I find the description too weak. We need to explain
> where the money goes in more details IMO. Also what about XWiki SAS’s
> current sponsoring. Why would anyone want to give when XWiki SAS gives
> already? This is not explained.

IMO the tier description can't have too many characters. We could define
them better in the Description of the Collective, since we won't be able to
list all the details in the small space the tier has.

> * Support Sponsor is interesting but it should be 1000 euros per month and
> be limited to 2 hours IMO.
>
> Regarding Issue sponsor and Support Sponsor there’s an issue though. It’s
> not clear where the money goes and what it’ll be used for. Imagine, for
> example, that Clemens does an Issue sponsor. Does some part of the money go
> to him? If not, what is it used for and how does it benefit Clemens
> globally?
>
> So I really think we need to explain what the money is going to be used in
> details, on top of what XWiki SAS already sponsors. That should be our
> first step IMO.

I need help defining that. We could add some notes on the proposals' page
at https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective
OR we could start just with the 2 basic tiers (Backer and T-shirt Backer).

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 2:47 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Another point:
>
>  * There are only recurring donations. I believe we also need one shot
> ones, don’t you think?

IMO I prefer more the recurring donations, since the members can always
stop the donation. So recurring always includes one time donations.
In order to prevent selection paralysis we should not have that many
options to choose from. I've already proposed 5, but I'm sure we will have
at least 4. If we also add the one time donations is going to add up.

> > On 19 Mar 2019, at 13:46, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Caty and all,
> >
> >> On 19 Mar 2019, at 12:11, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Please vote on the Tiers we should have on XWiki's OpenCollective page
> >> https://goo.gl/forms/qTDsxt1GvpU0ET3n2
> >
> > * What is a member?
> > * For me the Tshirt is not part of the title but it’s a reward.
> > * Issue sponsor isn’t defined well enough. You seem to indicate 1 issue
> only… which is low. Is it 1 issue per release? Also needs some limits on
> the complexity (such as < 2 days of work). I would put 2000 euros for 2
> days of work since the goal is not to do service work but to sponsor the
> sofware and by doing so you get a reward. So it has to be higher than if
> you were just paying for an issue. So I would put 2000 euros for max of 2
> days issues per month. 1000 euros for 1 day is also possible but reduces a
> lot the type of issues that can be taken.
> > * For all of them I find the description too weak. We need to explain
> where the money goes in more details IMO. Also what about XWiki SAS’s
> current sponsoring. Why would anyone want to give when XWiki SAS gives
> already? This is not explained.
> > * Support Sponsor is interesting but it should be 1000 euros per month
> and be limited to 2 hours IMO.
> >
> > Regarding Issue sponsor and Support Sponsor there’s an issue though.
> It’s not clear where the money goes and what it’ll be used for. Imagine,
> for example, that Clemens does an Issue sponsor. Does some part of the
> money go to him? If not, what is it used for and how does it benefit
> Clemens globally?
> >
> > So I really think we need to explain what the money is going to be used
> in details, on top of what XWiki SAS already sponsors. That should be our
> first step IMO.

> >> Thanks,
> >> Caty

> [hidden email]>

> create
> >>>>>>
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective

> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective#HTiers

Re: OpenCollective for XWiki Community

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
We could spend a lot of time adjusting large donations tiers information.
I would like us to just create the OpenCollective page. Having just the €5
tier would be better than nothing. If we have flexible tiers, people can
donate as much as they want, if they choose to support us.
The tiers can be adjusted afterwards when we learn more about the platform
and how it works.
I need someone that is an Owner of xwiki-platform Github repository to
handle the process.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 3:01 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 2:47 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Another point:
>>
>>  * There are only recurring donations. I believe we also need one shot
>> ones, don’t you think?
>>

> IMO I prefer more the recurring donations, since the members can always
> stop the donation. So recurring always includes one time donations.
> In order to prevent selection paralysis we should not have that many
> options to choose from. I've already proposed 5, but I'm sure we will have
> at least 4. If we also add the one time donations is going to add up.

>> > On 19 Mar 2019, at 13:46, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Caty and all,

>> > * What is a member?
>> > * For me the Tshirt is not part of the title but it’s a reward.
>> > * Issue sponsor isn’t defined well enough. You seem to indicate 1 issue
>> only… which is low. Is it 1 issue per release? Also needs some limits on
>> the complexity (such as < 2 days of work). I would put 2000 euros for 2
>> days of work since the goal is not to do service work but to sponsor the
>> sofware and by doing so you get a reward. So it has to be higher than if
>> you were just paying for an issue. So I would put 2000 euros for max of 2
>> days issues per month. 1000 euros for 1 day is also possible but reduces a
>> lot the type of issues that can be taken.
>> > * For all of them I find the description too weak. We need to explain
>> where the money goes in more details IMO. Also what about XWiki SAS’s
>> current sponsoring. Why would anyone want to give when XWiki SAS gives
>> already? This is not explained.
>> > * Support Sponsor is interesting but it should be 1000 euros per month
>> and be limited to 2 hours IMO.
>> >
>> > Regarding Issue sponsor and Support Sponsor there’s an issue though.
>> It’s not clear where the money goes and what it’ll be used for. Imagine,
>> for example, that Clemens does an Issue sponsor. Does some part of the
>> money go to him? If not, what is it used for and how does it benefit
>> Clemens globally?
>> >
>> > So I really think we need to explain what the money is going to be used
>> in details, on top of what XWiki SAS already sponsors. That should be our
>> first step IMO.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > -Vincent

>> [hidden email]>

>> create
>> >>>>>>
>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective

>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective#HTiers

Re: OpenCollective for XWiki Community

Hi Caty,

> On 20 Mar 2019, at 12:22, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We could spend a lot of time adjusting large donations tiers information.
> I would like us to just create the OpenCollective page. Having just the €5
> tier would be better than nothing.

For me the most important is to indeed prepare the OC page which means defining the story we want to tell and explain why we need donations and what it’ll be used for. And how the XWiki SAS donations/sponsoring fit in the picture. All the rest is details and easy. But without this I’m -1 to proceed since I wouldn’t feel comfortable asking for money that we don’t know what it would be used for.

> If we have flexible tiers, people can
> donate as much as they want, if they choose to support us.
> The tiers can be adjusted afterwards when we learn more about the platform
> and how it works.
> I need someone that is an Owner of xwiki-platform Github repository to
> handle the process.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 3:01 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 2:47 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Another point:
>>>
>>> * There are only recurring donations. I believe we also need one shot
>>> ones, don’t you think?
>>>

>> IMO I prefer more the recurring donations, since the members can always
>> stop the donation. So recurring always includes one time donations.
>> In order to prevent selection paralysis we should not have that many
>> options to choose from. I've already proposed 5, but I'm sure we will have
>> at least 4. If we also add the one time donations is going to add up.
>>

>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>>> only… which is low. Is it 1 issue per release? Also needs some limits on
>>> the complexity (such as < 2 days of work). I would put 2000 euros for 2
>>> days of work since the goal is not to do service work but to sponsor the
>>> sofware and by doing so you get a reward. So it has to be higher than if
>>> you were just paying for an issue. So I would put 2000 euros for max of 2
>>> days issues per month. 1000 euros for 1 day is also possible but reduces a
>>> lot the type of issues that can be taken.
>>> where the money goes in more details IMO. Also what about XWiki SAS’s
>>> current sponsoring. Why would anyone want to give when XWiki SAS gives
>>> already? This is not explained.
>>> and be limited to 2 hours IMO.

>>> It’s not clear where the money goes and what it’ll be used for. Imagine,
>>> for example, that Clemens does an Issue sponsor. Does some part of the
>>> money go to him? If not, what is it used for and how does it benefit
>>> Clemens globally?

>>> in details, on top of what XWiki SAS already sponsors. That should be our
>>> first step IMO.

>>> [hidden email]>

>>> create
>>>>>>>>>
>>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective

>>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective#HTiers

Re: OpenCollective for XWiki Community

In other words, your proposal is focusing on the tiers but I don’t recall seeing a proposal for the content of the page.

> On 20 Mar 2019, at 13:09, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Caty,
>
>> On 20 Mar 2019, at 12:22, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> We could spend a lot of time adjusting large donations tiers information.
>> I would like us to just create the OpenCollective page. Having just the €5
>> tier would be better than nothing.
>
> For me the most important is to indeed prepare the OC page which means defining the story we want to tell and explain why we need donations and what it’ll be used for. And how the XWiki SAS donations/sponsoring fit in the picture. All the rest is details and easy. But without this I’m -1 to proceed since I wouldn’t feel comfortable asking for money that we don’t know what it would be used for.

>> If we have flexible tiers, people can
>> donate as much as they want, if they choose to support us.
>> The tiers can be adjusted afterwards when we learn more about the platform
>> and how it works.
>> I need someone that is an Owner of xwiki-platform Github repository to
>> handle the process.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 3:01 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> IMO I prefer more the recurring donations, since the members can always
>>> stop the donation. So recurring always includes one time donations.
>>> In order to prevent selection paralysis we should not have that many
>>> options to choose from. I've already proposed 5, but I'm sure we will have
>>> at least 4. If we also add the one time donations is going to add up.

Re: OpenCollective for XWiki Community

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
In my proposal there was just a simple description of the XWiki project.
Personally I can back and show support for a project without having all the
details.
Regarding proceeding, this is what I could help towards this process:
investigating limitations, requirements, proposing tiers. I'm glad things
are clear until now.
Regarding donations usage, sponsoring details: would be great if you could
add what you have in mind on the proposal page since it seams you have
clear expectations on what it should contain. This would provide a start
for a discussion.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 2:10 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In other words, your proposal is focusing on the tiers but I don’t recall
> seeing a proposal for the content of the page.

> > On 20 Mar 2019, at 13:09, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Caty,
> >
> >> On 20 Mar 2019, at 12:22, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> We could spend a lot of time adjusting large donations tiers
> information.
> >> I would like us to just create the OpenCollective page. Having just the
> €5
> >> tier would be better than nothing.
> >
> > For me the most important is to indeed prepare the OC page which means
> defining the story we want to tell and explain why we need donations and
> what it’ll be used for. And how the XWiki SAS donations/sponsoring fit in
> the picture. All the rest is details and easy. But without this I’m -1 to
> proceed since I wouldn’t feel comfortable asking for money that we don’t
> know what it would be used for.

> >> If we have flexible tiers, people can
> >> donate as much as they want, if they choose to support us.
> >> The tiers can be adjusted afterwards when we learn more about the
> platform
> >> and how it works.
> >> I need someone that is an Owner of xwiki-platform Github repository to
> >> handle the process.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Caty
> >>
> >> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 3:01 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]>

> have

> [hidden email]>

> page

> issue
> on
> 2
> the
> if
> of 2
> reduces a
> month

> Imagine,

> used
> our

> started.

> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/XWikiOpenCollective#HTiers
> case we

Re: OpenCollective for XWiki Community

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
News: GitHub announced today Sponsors, https://github.com/sponsors as a way
to sponsors open source.

There is also a FUNDING.yml that can be added to projects
https://twitter.com/github/status/1131477404843741184