Openoffice sdk client need openoffice runtime to run

Openoffice sdk client need openoffice runtime to run

Wang Ning
Hi,

I want to develop a component to handle office documents in xwiki. As we
discussion before, I want to use openoffice api. I set a openoffice develop
environment in my pc running ubuntu 8.04, and learn how to use openoffice
api. Yes, The oo sdk is powerful to address office documents, MS doc, MS
excel...
But there's a problem. AFAIK, openoffice api need a openoffice local runtime
or a remote server running openoffice. The whole openoffice runtime is 356M,
more or less, so we shouldn't contain it in xwiki release. Hense, I think if
we want the office importer run in a computer, the computer should have
installed openoffice or configurate a remote openoffice server.

WDYT?
I need some suggestion.
Thanks.

--
Sincerely,
Wang Ning

Re: Openoffice sdk client need openoffice runtime to run

Ludovic Dubost-2

Hi,

The remote server is the right approach. I've been thinking for a while
that we should propose a server hosted by XWiki that would do that and
give installations instructions for those wanting to run such a server
internally.

You should build a very nice simple REST api for this server.

Ludovic

Wang Ning wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to develop a component to handle office documents in xwiki. As we
> discussion before, I want to use openoffice api. I set a openoffice develop
> environment in my pc running ubuntu 8.04, and learn how to use openoffice
> api. Yes, The oo sdk is powerful to address office documents, MS doc, MS
> excel...
> But there's a problem. AFAIK, openoffice api need a openoffice local runtime
> or a remote server running openoffice. The whole openoffice runtime is 356M,
> more or less, so we shouldn't contain it in xwiki release. Hense, I think if
> we want the office importer run in a computer, the computer should have
> installed openoffice or configurate a remote openoffice server.
>
> WDYT?
> I need some suggestion.
> Thanks.

Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Wang Ning wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to develop a component to handle office documents in xwiki. As we
> discussion before, I want to use openoffice api. I set a openoffice develop
> environment in my pc running ubuntu 8.04, and learn how to use openoffice
> api. Yes, The oo sdk is powerful to address office documents, MS doc, MS
> excel...
> But there's a problem. AFAIK, openoffice api need a openoffice local runtime
> or a remote server running openoffice. The whole openoffice runtime is 356M,
> more or less, so we shouldn't contain it in xwiki release. Hense, I think if
> we want the office importer run in a computer, the computer should have
> installed openoffice or configurate a remote openoffice server.
>
> WDYT?
> I need some suggestion.
> Thanks.

Well, we should not embed an OpenOffice instance in XWiki products, so
we should:
- have *very* good installation notes on how to configure XWiki to work
with an OpenOffice instance (ideally it should automatically detect if
and where is OO installed).
- easily show/hide menu entries/actions, depending on whether OO is
available or not.
- always display nice messages when the user somehow requests an
operation that requires OO, and OO is not available.
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Wang Ning wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to develop a component to handle office documents in xwiki. As we
> discussion before, I want to use openoffice api. I set a openoffice develop
> environment in my pc running ubuntu 8.04, and learn how to use openoffice
> api. Yes, The oo sdk is powerful to address office documents, MS doc, MS
> excel...
> But there's a problem. AFAIK, openoffice api need a openoffice local runtime
> or a remote server running openoffice. The whole openoffice runtime is 356M,
> more or less, so we shouldn't contain it in xwiki release. Hense, I think if
> we want the office importer run in a computer, the computer should have
> installed openoffice or configurate a remote openoffice server.
>
> WDYT?
> I need some suggestion.
> Thanks.

By the way, this is nice:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: Openoffice sdk client need openoffice runtime to run

Tiago Rinck Caveden
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, we should not embed an OpenOffice instance in XWiki products, so

Just a humble suggestion, why don't you simply let it embedded in an
optional plugin? The user download it if he wants to, and he won't need to
do it to have XWiki...
It's quite convenient sometimes to have everything packed and configured at
one simple download, specially if the user doesn't intend to use this OO
runtime for anything else.

Best regards,
--
Tiago Rinck Caveden
http://caveden.multiply.com
Tiago Rinck Caveden
http://caveden.multiply.com

Re: Openoffice sdk client need openoffice runtime to run

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
Tiago Rinck Caveden wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well, we should not embed an OpenOffice instance in XWiki products, so
>

> Just a humble suggestion, why don't you simply let it embedded in an
> optional plugin? The user download it if he wants to, and he won't need to
> do it to have XWiki...
> It's quite convenient sometimes to have everything packed and configured at
> one simple download, specially if the user doesn't intend to use this OO
> runtime for anything else.

Yes, could be an optional plugin, and a special package (built with a
different profile). Others also provide installation packages with or
without JRE, so we can have XE with or without OpenOffice (well, we
could also provide a package with an included JRE).

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

On Jun 3, 2008, at 1:50 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> Tiago Rinck Caveden wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, we should not embed an OpenOffice instance in XWiki
>>> products, so
>>

>> Just a humble suggestion, why don't you simply let it embedded in an
>> optional plugin? The user download it if he wants to, and he won't
>> need to
>> do it to have XWiki...
>> It's quite convenient sometimes to have everything packed and
>> configured at
>> one simple download, specially if the user doesn't intend to use
>> this OO
>> runtime for anything else.
>>

> Yes, could be an optional plugin, and a special package (built with a
> different profile). Others also provide installation packages with or
> without JRE, so we can have XE with or without OpenOffice (well, we
> could also provide a package with an included JRE).

Provided the OO license allows us to redistribute it...

I'm not sure I understand http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-licensing.html#10

Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2008, at 1:50 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
>
>> Tiago Rinck Caveden wrote:

>>> Just a humble suggestion, why don't you simply let it embedded in an
>>> optional plugin? The user download it if he wants to, and he won't
>>> need to
>>> do it to have XWiki...
>>> It's quite convenient sometimes to have everything packed and
>>> configured at
>>> one simple download, specially if the user doesn't intend to use
>>> this OO
>>> runtime for anything else.
>>>
>> Yes, could be an optional plugin, and a special package (built with a
>> different profile). Others also provide installation packages with or
>> without JRE, so we can have XE with or without OpenOffice (well, we
>> could also provide a package with an included JRE).
>
> Provided the OO license allows us to redistribute it...
>
> I'm not sure I understand http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-licensing.html#10

OpenOffice is LGPL, so we can redistribute it. That FAQ is about
StarOffice, which is commercial software.
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/